Mass Shootings are impossible to prevent thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: Mass Shootings are impossible to prevent thread

Post by chris1089 »

fei123456 wrote:
26 May 2022, 06:59
Isn't pistol enough to protect their home? I don't really understand why rifles are allowed in US.
Because of the right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government from back in the day - guess the modern day application of this is that people shouldn't have tanks or stealth bombers confiscated by the government.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

To fix this, you have to fix the culture, the social fabric. There must be something inherent in the American society that makes people so disconnected, when they lash out they just see enemies everywhere
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

Didn't the citizens of New Zealand return around 5000-10000 firearms after the recent Christchurch shootings, on a buyback scheme offered by the government?
How effortlessly was that solved? As Dolan said, 'Murica is going to have to fix the social fabric, the inherent distrust of the government and the lack of confidence in the police force to safeguard their neighbourhoods.
thebritish wrote:
19 Jan 2016, 09:58
So, you are saying that if i watch H20's rec, i can beat anyone below H20's level because i know his BO?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

When I was at uni, I was very interested in brain research and was messaging with some researchers from the US. I don't remember what the subject was in one of the convos, but in one of those groups someone said something very interesting: criminals are actually seeking re-attachment through crime. They are so disconnected from the social fabric, that crime for them is a way to get reinserted, re-accepted back into society, even if it comes at the price of having this new negative status of "criminal".
It's a way to fix an attachment issue.

Maybe this is high-sounding baloney, but I think there's some truth to this. When someone gets to that point that they see a shooting as a solution, many ties have been severed and their anger is basically a sign of their attachment anxiety. They want to fix this feeling of being lost/rejected/isolated through revenge and thus show "mom"/caretaker/society that they're angry at being abandoned.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
26 May 2022, 02:04
Even if you take them at their word that they believe it's a mental health issue not a gun issue, Republicans still cut funding for all healthcare all the time so it seems fair to describe them objectively as being pro mass shooting
The idea that this is a mental health issue is ridiculous. The problem isn't mental health, it's the inherent evil in the human heart. Hence stricter gun control laws also won't solve the problem. The only thing that ultimately will is Jesus' return.
Now this is the republican solution.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Even if you take them at their word that they believe it's a mental health issue not a gun issue, Republicans still cut funding for all healthcare all the time so it seems fair to describe them objectively as being pro mass shooting
The idea that this is a mental health issue is ridiculous. The problem isn't mental health, it's the inherent evil in the human heart. Hence stricter gun control laws also won't solve the problem. The only thing that ultimately will is Jesus' return.
If evil is inherent nature of human then what is the issue? Then what you are asking is that in order to protect minority of weaker people, stronger people should be controlled through unnatural means. The whole argument relies on that humans are good if given a chance and that it is majority who need protection from evil but dominant/influencing minority.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
TIL Jesus returned everywhere except in the US
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Get these garbage threads off my front page. I am a European interested in European society. Why should I care about some third-world country on the other side of the world? Get off the road.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
When will that be
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

The word "Third world" is actually invented by Chairman Mao, who divided the world into three: US and Soviet Union is the 1st world, while the other western countries are the 2nd.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
26 May 2022, 11:52
chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
When will that be
In the future. He shall come like a thief in the night - so prepare for his coming.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

chris1089 wrote:
26 May 2022, 13:14
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
When will that be
In the future. He shall come like a thief in the night - so prepare for his coming.
So I need to buy a gun? Got it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
When will that be
I guess if I thought people could come back to life I also wouldn't be that upset about children getting killed
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
When will that be
@Burglars this guy here
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

harcha wrote:
26 May 2022, 07:26
chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
I think the point is a "solution" is not possible. So there is the question of what, if anything to do. But nothing will "solve" the issue. That would be utopianism.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Good point
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

chris1089 wrote:
26 May 2022, 14:32
harcha wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I think the point is a "solution" is not possible. So there is the question of what, if anything to do. But nothing will "solve" the issue. That would be utopianism.
Don't solve problems, just make the world worse. Inspiring stuff
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Don't you see how all of your major problems in the USA lead to the same roadblock: the 233 years old constitution.
Abortion, guns, extended definition of marriage, corporate abuse of freedom of speech clauses for advertising purposes, etc.
And what's the solution to that, tightening the screws a bit around having easy access to guns? So they're gonna buy or mill gun parts and assemble them on their own.
The drive to commit a shooting won't get contained by just a few hurdles.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

chris1089 wrote:
26 May 2022, 14:32
harcha wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Yes, there's no political solution to what is ultimately a spiritual problem.

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Wat
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@lejend Does God think guns are good
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
26 May 2022, 20:06
@lejend Does God think guns are good
God gave guns to the American people to defend themselves from the government.
The gun and the bible carved the American nation out of the wilderness. 🦖 🌴 🔫 ✝️
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
When will that be
Do you think he will come before 2050?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:
26 May 2022, 21:59
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Do you think he will come before 2050?
How is this not already factored into the model
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

chris1089 wrote:
I'm not sure whether this is sarcasm or the usual religion-inspired cynicism.

For the record: it is exactly people uttering this kind of statement who are one of the major problems to societal progress in the US (and elsewhere). The "inherent evil in the human heart" is such a laughably bad argument. It entirely neglects the fact that school shootings only happen under very specific conditions (mental health problems + access to guns being obvious drivers) and rules out the idea that a society could begin to care for its weakest members in order to avoid massacres like this. On the contrary, the idea of an inherent evil human nature allows you to effectively abandon the weakest members of society as you can't change their "evil" anyway. Truly a horrific belief system with disastrous societal consequences.

In my opinion, there are many things that could be done to avoid shootings happening on the current scale. A simple one would be to strictly outlaw possession of firearms for anyone younger than 30 years. You might have noticed that ~80% of mass shootings (be it at schools or elsewhere) are carried out by frustrated young men. Many shootings could be prevented by allowing people to actually grow up and fully develop their personality. Another measure, much more complicated and depending on the local context, would be to systematically look and care more for adolescents whose social environment is bad/deteriorates.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.