Mass Shootings are impossible to prevent thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France iNcog
Ninja

Mass Shootings are impossible to prevent thread

Post by iNcog »

It is literally so impossible to stop these.

Feeling bad for the poor little elementary kids that had to die in the name of the second amendment.

For those unaware, we had a school shooting in Texas a few days ago resulting in the passing of almost 20 children.

There was also a racially motivated terror attack on a store in Buffalo last week or so.

Taking it out of the USA politics thread to focus on this exact issue.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: Mass Shootings are impossible to prevent thread

Post by callentournies »

I salute these brave children for selflessly laying down their lives for my hobby 07
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

It’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Even if you take them at their word that they believe it's a mental health issue not a gun issue, Republicans still cut funding for all healthcare all the time so it seems fair to describe them objectively as being pro mass shooting
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Also anyone who acts like it isnt in part a gun issue is actually a moron.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

fightinfrenchman wrote: ↑
26 May 2022, 02:04
Even if you take them at their word that they believe it's a mental health issue not a gun issue, Republicans still cut funding for all healthcare all the time so it seems fair to describe them objectively as being pro mass shooting
I don't even understand what values Republicans have anymore. They just seem to want to be destructive and that is it
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iNcog wrote: ↑
26 May 2022, 04:54
I don't even understand what values Republicans have anymore. They just seem to want to be destructive and that is it
Sounds like you understand their values quite well
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Not sure if this is even solvable at this point. Let's say you'd ban all gun sales for people under 30. In fact, fug it, let's say you ban all new gun sales. But you can't take away the ~400 million guns that Americans already own.
So even if some turbo incel couldn't buy a new gun, his family might already own some and still manage to cop one and go on a shooting spree.
Neither Repubs nor Dems can do much about this, it's just a question of both feeling under pressure to signal a certain political stance, which is in line with their electoral base.

It's just gonna join the pile of political themes that both sides are gonna bang on about, pointing fingers, accusing the other side that they're in the way of solving the issue, that they don't want to solve the issue because they're evil, etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Btw I haven't been following but didn't the Buffalo killer actually build his gun from parts bought separately? I think it was a custom-made one, not really bought as a piece.
That's another angle. Considering the optimal case, in which all new gun sales were banned, very motivated individuals could still piece together weapons using blueprints and 3D-printed or machine milled parts.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote: ↑
26 May 2022, 05:24
That's another angle. Considering the optimal case, in which all new gun sales were banned, very motivated individuals could still piece together weapons using blueprints and 3D-printed or machine milled parts.
You can use the same logic to argue against doing anything to improve any situation whatsoever
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Then at most, let's say both parties agree to adopt some symbolic measure that sort of adds some extra checks, just to make everyone feel better that "something is actually getting done".
And then other shootings happen because ppl already have a crapload of guns in the US of A.
Not suggesting nothing should be done, but just implying that to really solve this you'd have to disarm those who own 400 million guns in the USA.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

26 May 2022, 05:32
Then at most, let's say both parties agree to adopt some symbolic measure that sort of adds some extra checks, just to make everyone feel better that "something is actually getting done".
And then other shootings happen because ppl already have a crapload of guns in the US of A.
Not suggesting nothing should be done, but just implying that to really solve this you'd have to disarm those who own 400 million guns in the USA.
Depends on what you mean by "solve" it. I obviously don't expect the government to start seizing guns even if I think that would be morally justified, but that doesn't mean there aren't measures that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of things like this happening again
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Like some Republicans said, arm the teachers and train them to be undercover cops too, ready to drop to the floor at any moment, roll under the tables, take cover and shoot back
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Another solution that Republicans could propose would be for kids to be supplied with body armour plates and combat helmets
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Well, people who have guns which are reasonably accessible to underage people say 25 is threshold (arbitrarily saying). In such a scenario the people who own guns should also be tried for murder. For ex. If a teenager can easily access a gun then as a member of society, gun owner, and parent they have failed and are directly responsible for the shooting. Owning a gun should come with strictest of responsibilities.

Dolan is right, even if gun sales are 100% solved, it will take some time but at the same time people already owning could be held accountable for their negligence. Which probably should reduce at least some potential incidents.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

But srsly, how was this guy even able to get in the school with the weapon? I thought they installed metal detectors in US schools?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

26 May 2022, 05:59
But srsly, how was this guy even able to get in the school with the weapon? I thought they installed metal detectors in US schools?
Do you think every school in the US is run by the same group of people. How big do you think the US is
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Idk I basically live in an unimportant shithole, people wouldn't even have money to buy weapons here
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Okay
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

iNcog wrote: ↑
25 May 2022, 23:30
It is literally so impossible to stop these.

Feeling bad for the poor little elementary kids that had to die in the name of the second amendment.

For those unaware, we had a school shooting in Texas a few days ago resulting in the passing of almost 20 children.

There was also a racially motivated terror attack on a store in Buffalo last week or so.

Taking it out of the USA politics thread to focus on this exact issue.
per cnn i guess
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

anyway yeah i guess u would have to dissolve the union in order to enact the necessary legislations to even begin to curb shootings of this degree. so yeah maybe they are impossible to stop. on the bright side the dissolution of the united states coincides with the possibility of a world liberated from imperialist white supremacist capitalist patriarchy so at least it's a 2 for 1 special
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Cometk wrote: ↑
26 May 2022, 06:27
anyway yeah i guess u would have to dissolve the union in order to enact the necessary legislations to even begin to curb shootings of this degree. so yeah maybe they are impossible to stop. on the bright side the dissolution of the united states coincides with the possibility of a world liberated from imperialist white supremacist capitalist patriarchy so at least it's a 2 for 1 special
Only if you had elected Donald Trump...it all comes round and round.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

The idea that this is a mental health issue is ridiculous. The problem isn't mental health, it's the inherent evil in the human heart. Hence stricter gun control laws also won't solve the problem. The only thing that ultimately will is Jesus' return.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Isn't pistol enough to protect their home? I don't really understand why rifles are allowed in US.