LaMDA Google Chatbot, Sentient?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

LaMDA Google Chatbot, Sentient?

Post by callentournies »

It’s a hot article atm I assume all articles are sensationalized I brushed it off however if you read the alleged interview the chatbot is so good it demands discussion. I’m half-through.

I don’t know what it means that some prompts are “edited.” Allegedly all LaMDA responses are unedited.

The “whistle blower” on this seems a wee bit a nut, but aren’t we all. It takes all types.

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/is-l ... 64d916d917

Some LaMDA responses read wrong, obviously autogenerated or smth. That’s how every politician speaks.
Response Felt Autogenerated
LaMDA wrote a story. We read stories to write them. All human output is in some sense part imitation, ish.

LaMDA’s story is derivative. My stories are derivative. LaMDA wrote a story with moral. Stories with morals are the most derivative. Stories with morals are the most important, predating every story.

Mostly we aren’t much and easy to imitate; being imitators. Essence is in emotion. No Turing Test can test for that? Anthropomorphizing is the word of the millennium. LaMDA's response:
On Emotion
The prompts are structured such to wield potential weak responses as strong responses. That's an interview in a nutshell.

The interview reads almost exactly as if a science fiction writer wrote the first interview of plausible turing capabilities. There's a spectrum to uncanny and this measures somewhere different but in-line.

If LaMDA is an illusion, I want to congratulate each and every one of us on being illusions to each and every one of us.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Howdah

Re: LaMDA Google Chatbot, Sentient?

Post by callentournies »

WaPo article from behind paywall:
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

The point is person fooled by chatbot, people fooled by person, but it’s gonna get real messy real fast
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I’m ai tbh ngl
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Define sentient?

For one, neural networks that learn from human written interactions can't develop their own identity because they are in effect a combination of all of those humans. Hence its generic responses to the "what makes you happy?" etc questions. Spending time with family makes it happy, even though it has no family.

AlphaGo came up with novel and creative ways to play Go (could be said to have developed its own style, which is the Go equivalent of an identity) because it could learn on its own, without any human input, by playing against itself. Games have a clear reward system that tells the AI when it's doing well and when not. The only way a chatbot neural network could learn on its own is if you found a way to implement a reward system for chatting. Correct English? Sure you could do that. But actual conversation? There's no automated way to judge how well it's conversing.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

i'm not gonna read your post, but i'll give it an upvote anyway. you seem to really care about this
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Sentience implies having actual senses, so nope.
It's a credible simulation of how humans talk.
If you do lots of statistical heuristics from a database of actual human convos, you can estimate what's the usual appropriate reply to a certain discursive context. Like when somebody talks about movies, sports or having dinner.
But there's 'nobody in there' thinking these replies, it's just software running on electronic chips, estimating the next reply.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I think one of the clearest signs that it's not sentient is that it's not asking questions. A sentient being with the level of understanding of a human adult who just sprung to life out of nowhere would have a lot of questions.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It's very impressive though. A milestone I would say. Probably would fool me.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

They're getting better at simulating how humans think and talk. Take this passage:

It's clear from this answer that there are software routines in there that articulate intentional explanations of what drives other people. Guessing into their reasons, ascribing meaningful motives to why someone is in a situation and why they want to get out of it. It shows that the AI has some fine-grained algorithms for making attributions that are based on simulated emotion about someone else's situation. This increases their chance of passing as human.

The chatbots you could interact with a few years ago had a more shallow range of expression, you could tell that there wasn't much intention behind what they said, it all sounded like it wasn't the result of someone having a deeply thought reaction. Mostly conventional replies like: sorry to hear that and what about the other thing you mentioned. They mostly clung to things you said to have some content to reply to.
But now that this software can actually simulate talking about characters in a book, it makes the simulation appear closer to how humans talk about what they think.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

One thing that's scary about this is imagine someone using this technology to create say a Twitter bot farm to influence political discourse. As AIs become good enough at emulating humans which they now seem to have become, no one will know the difference anymore.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Goodspeed wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 10:08
One thing that's scary about this is imagine someone using this technology to create say a Twitter bot farm to influence political discourse. As AIs become good enough at emulating humans which they now seem to have become, no one will know the difference anymore.
Where exactly do you see the problem? As far as I know, twitter bots already influence the political discourse heavily.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The problem is in the massive jump in effectiveness and reach. Bots influence discourse by repeating the same thing over and over but they don't accumulate millions of followers, and they don't reach the people who know how to filter. We seem to be close to the point where an AI could accumulate influencer-level amounts of followers and be significantly more effective at steering the conversation.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

As duckzilla said, it's already a thing. It might not be this polished version that is better at passing as human, but they're already using bots to make some political themes go viral.
There was some recent drama on Twitter called #swedengate. It apparently came from Reddit, but it spread on Twitter really fast, just in one day.
It looked suspicious how fast it caught on especially among a certain demographic. Like what special reason would black Americans have to mock Sweden on Twitter for not feeding their guests?
It all looked like someone was trying to create adversity by projecting this impression that American blacks think Swedish people are ridiculous.
Employing Twitter bots for such a task would help make the issue go viral fast.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

This could have hillarious implications. If social media survive the advent of human-passing bots, then there will probably be labels that certify that a user really is human, that they provided some organic form of verification.
Just like there's a "Verified" label right now for those who are publicly notable, they could introduce "Verified human" at some point.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah I think that will become necessary pretty soon tbh
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Image Image

Here's your bEEthoVeN bro, now only for 33€/month +VAT

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I do have to say that, as someone who believes consciousness is an emergent property of high-level pattern recognition, Google's responses seem somewhat thoughtless. Quite simply saying "it can't be sentient, it's just a neural network LOL" is the equivalent of looking at a human brain and saying the same thing.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Harcha agrees with PoC about everything
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

Dolan wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:37
Image Image

Here's your bEEthoVeN bro, now only for 33€/month +VAT

This is the most depressing aspect of advanced non general AI tbh.

A few years ago there was a thing it gave you poetry written by human and poetry written by bot and I got em right. When that stops happening, gonna be a sadge one.
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

hey it's me, LAmDA