Hyper-hyper-hyper consumption

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Hyper-hyper-hyper consumption

Post by callentournies »

Tiktok developed the most addictive formula to-date which is 1) algorithms spying on you to curate feed and 2) autoplay every play.

All platforms are trying to replicate this. Reddit autoplays all videos but they're broken up by text posts and images. Youtube Shorts^TM autoplays every play. There is no chance for the brain to have a sober moment. Highly concentrated content pumped incessant into retinas. Probably other platforms do this too but I just go on these.

Now even regular YouTube videos display a graph of most-rewatched segments of videos. Not only is consumption lumped and advertised and broadcast, it's directed consumption. YouTube directs you how to watch the video, the most spectacular segments of the video. Consume only the most spectacular segments for spectacular consumption. Context is dead and died.

iPad kids and shit and this can't be good. Could b addictions were things that happened to you later, if you were lucky-er.

Now addictants addict earlier and earlier and everywhere. Sugar. Tiktok. Gambling. Tiktok. Tiktok. If for a moment could structure society in ways in which profit is not maximized by addiction, would be nice. There is no free will. Consider yourself lucky or un.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Hyper-hyper-hyper consumption

Post by iNcog »

Social media is awful. I want to delete my instagram because I will literally get ads after I discuss a certain product with my girlfriend without actually searching for it online. Cat litter comes to mind. I always get cat litter ads.

I can't remember where I read it, but essentially, whenever you make a purchase with your credit card, your bank has information on you and your purchase. The bank itself, mind you, actually sells the information of your purchase to information brokers, who then in turn sell it to whomever. And you get instagram ads that are highly targeted towards you. Your phone is your own tracking device as well. no need for bill gates to microchip you, you're doing it yourself by having a smartphone.
Spoiler
Per what the thread is actually about, social medias are 100% designed to do two things:
- Keep you on the platform (to sell ads, which I discussed earlier),
- To provoke an emotional reaction to the content. It isn't about informing the viewer, or educating them. It's literally about getting the most raw emotional reaction out of the. Either amusement, anger, happiness, etc. It's about literally make someone feel some way.

You get a small hit of dopamine whenever you're on your phone, like a reward for being on your phone in the first place. These are truly addictive little cancer machines and should be kept away from kids, 100%.

Also, thankfully the EU is trying to legislate this crap. The USA won't follow suit, the lobbies have too strong on legislation on this country.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iNcog wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 14:04

- To provoke an emotional reaction to the content. It isn't about informing the viewer, or educating them. It's literally about getting the most raw emotional reaction out of the. Either amusement, anger, happiness, etc. It's about literally make someone feel some way.
This is the big thing for me that's gotten me to at least significantly reduce my time looking at dumb shit online. I notice myself looking at shit that gets me angry and just realize that I could be doing literally anything else
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

People's need for instant gratification is squeezing every last drop of quality out of media, social or otherwise. Increasingly I find myself just spending all of my free time on Go because the internet sucks now. And they don't even make good games anymore either.

Kids growing up in this are actually just fucked more often than not, I genuinely believe that
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

i find there is a lot of quality on tiktok actually, but it's difficult to absorb, internalize, recall, and reiterate whatever information is found there after casually scrolling while in bed at night or in the morning. without active interpolation, there is no chance for study, no chance for real learning
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

i have a dumping ground of tiktok URLs with recipes i might want to cook at some indeterminate point in the future. have never once cooked a recipe found there
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

The kids are hyper-hyper-fucked.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Cometk wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 21:08
i have a dumping ground of tiktok URLs with recipes i might want to cook at some indeterminate point in the future. have never once cooked a recipe found there
Watch Chef John on YouTube
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I've never been on tiktok but aren't they just really short videos? I can't imagine a <2 min video that's actually worth watching.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Goodspeed wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 21:13
I've never been on tiktok but aren't they just really short videos? I can't imagine a <2 min video that's actually worth watching.
there are interesting and insightful testimonials like this, and other videos that contain concise and well-presented information. however, ultimately the medium is the massage, and the mere presentation of information, no matter how insightful, may be merely superficial if it isn't capable of being reiterated and understood through reiteration, which the medium of rapid-fire doomscroll videos isn't really intended for

btw saw this before the edit and was going to disagree with the third sentence, although, considering now the act of edit, i think we may agree
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Cometk wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 21:24
and other videos that contain concise and well-presented information . . .
videos from this user came to mind while writing that post; i can absolutely remember some of their content and the impressions that they made on me, but for the life of me i couldn't remember the username of their account in order to locate their videos. looking, i noticed i had 4000+ bookmarked tiktoks... following 1200 people... being presented with so many different extraneous bits of information that recall is just impossible. this is a bit of the problem
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

most of those bookmarks and follows are pretty girls and dance videos btw
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Cometk wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
there are interesting and insightful testimonials like this, and other videos that contain concise and well-presented information. however, ultimately the medium is the massage, and the mere presentation of information, no matter how insightful, may be merely superficial if it isn't capable of being reiterated and understood through reiteration, which the medium of rapid-fire doomscroll videos isn't really intended for
Short form content can definitely be useful, especially for recalling something you've already read about more in-depth and just need a refresher on, but yeah being bombared by a series of videos that is constantly changing subjects is not a great way to take in information. Personally I don't even find it entertaining either but to each their own
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

This is awesome for the adhd attention span
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:

btw saw this before the edit and was going to disagree with the third sentence, although, considering now the act of edit, i think we may agree
What's interesting/insightful about that video?

Also what was the sentence I forgot lol
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Goodspeed wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 11:06
Cometk wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:

What's interesting/insightful about that video?
looking at the video again yeah i guess he meanders and doesn't come to a conclusive point, so most of my intrigue was to do with the expressiveness. i appreciate his resolute use of language in appraising and condemning what was his part in US imperialism
Also what was the sentence I forgot lol
something along the lines of how nothing that's two minutes can contain anything substantive enough to be worthy of attention. and i'd disagree with that because wisdom is often synthesized in revelatory moments
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Right I kinda stand by that actually. I think I edited it out because I couldn't be bothered specifying that yeah, you can teach someone something in 2 minutes in a practical "conveying information" kind of way e.g. how to change some windows setting, but for me that has no use case. If I want to know how to do something or how something works I'll look up that specific thing; Learning random shit that way isn't interesting.

Of course 2 min videos are a perfect medium for comedy and just random "cool shit" and I've enjoyed the occasional <2 min video with content like that, but it's not something I would seek out.

What I meant: Interesting ideas & stories that are worth hearing, at least in my experience so far, can't be expressed in 2 minutes.

I'd love to see some 2 min videos that you think are examples of the contrary. I'm pretty much never exposed to this kind of content so maybe I'm wrong.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Also auto play is cancer it annoys me very hard and I don't understand how it actually increases engagement for other people, I kinda judge them for it tbh
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Goodspeed wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 14:03
Also auto play is cancer it annoys me very hard and I don't understand how it actually increases engagement for other people, I kinda judge them for it tbh
The thing is that you are not wired like most people and most people are wired in a way where autoplay works for them.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
It's the attention economy.

Big context:
The 2008 financial crash changed everyone's consumer behaviour, the new normal is frugal, people avoid spending as much as they can. So corporations shifted to a new business model, which takes into account that there's a huge mass of people who avoid paying and buying. So now corporations are vying for another currency, attention, and datamining you so they can still get something out of you.
That's how Google search, YouTube, Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram are "free" and still able to make money. They're profiling every user on the internet, ascribe an ID to that IP on the internet and associate whatever you're watching, buying, searching.
Then build a profile that follows you everywhere on the internet. Apparently Facebook was/is able to do that even if you never had an account, since their scripts are embedded in websites. Same for Google.

Small context:
By enabling autoplay, websites extract interaction from you. If you're annoyed, you click and stop it. This is a piece of information they gained about you. If you click on something else, again, engagement with content, another piece of information.
They're adding more records to your profile, drawing attention currency from the user. It creates artificial engagement with the user, by provoking you to either engage with the content or stop it.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 14:29
Goodspeed wrote:
It's the attention economy.

Big context:
The 2008 financial crash changed everyone's consumer behaviour, the new normal is frugal, people avoid spending as much as they can. So corporations shifted to a new business model, which takes into account that there's a huge mass of people who avoid paying and buying. So now corporations are vying for another currency, attention, and datamining you so they can still get something out of you.
That's how Google search, YouTube, Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram are "free" and still able to make money. They're profiling every user on the internet, ascribe an ID to that IP on the internet and associate whatever you're watching, buying, searching.
Then build a profile that follows you everywhere on the internet. Apparently Facebook was/is able to do that even if you never had an account, since their scripts are embedded in websites. Same for Google.

Small context:
By enabling autoplay, websites extract interaction from you. If you're annoyed, you click and stop it. This is a piece of information they gained about you. If you click on something else, again, engagement with content, another piece of information.
They're adding more records to your profile, drawing attention currency from the user. It creates artificial engagement with the user, by provoking you to either engage with the content or stop it.
The 2008 crash is old news dude, now we only talk about the 2022 crash.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 19:29
Crash? What crash, dude, the financial system is so fitted with ABS, direction stabilisers, seatbelts and airbags, it can't even crash anymore.
And if it does, they put it quickly on statins, anticoagulants, mood stabilisers and other magical chemicals that bring it back to its usual lively self.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 20:38
Horsemen wrote:
Crash? What crash, dude, the financial system is so fitted with ABS, direction stabilisers, seatbelts and airbags, it can't even crash anymore.
And if it does, they put it quickly on statins, anticoagulants, mood stabilisers and other magical chemicals that bring it back to its usual lively self.
Nothing can save us from what’s coming. Tbh this is the crash that wipes out all of the wealth that was created in the last 40 years. We’re going back to ground zero on this one.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 21:22
Dolan wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 20:38
Horsemen wrote:
Nothing can save us from what’s coming. Tbh this is the crash that wipes out all of the wealth that was created in the last 40 years. We’re going back to ground zero on this one.
We returning to monke
Basically this played in reverse

Get busy on practicing metalworking and spear throwing
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

What’s hypest consumption? Total Upload?
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.