ESOC Chess Corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: ESOC Chess Corner

Post by Goodspeed »

Snuden wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 17:14
I HATE the sicilian.
Me, I don't discriminate. I hate all opening theory, and especially how important it is. It's one of the reasons Go has better replayability. You're 10% into a game, you're playing something that's never been played before. In chess it takes >50% of a game, 5 mistakes and a blunder to have a unique position. It's a game of memory more than strategy.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Snuden wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 05:48
@Goodspeed is it possible to run the games through an engine afterwards?

First time i use lichess :/
Of course. Lichess is the superior platform, so it basically has everything chess.com has that we plebs would ever use, but better and more free.
Except 4 player chess. I did go to chess.com to play that
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

360 can be quite fun too
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Tbh the correspondence experience so far is not amazing. I haven't found the settings I would expect. I want to more easily switch between games and I want to be able to bookmark a page where I can view my running games.
They have a thing or two they can learn from https://online-go.com/
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Yea, its not the best
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Totally missed Be4... FML probably
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Pretty sure you had a won position for most of that game. Qe2 was probably my blunder, I kept regretting that move throughout the game
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

GG's

I just did a very quick analysis, i was pretty comfortable most of the game.

The bishop sack was a mistake. And it went downhill from there. Your Be4 was the nail in the coffin.

The other game was never close.

RE?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Sure I'll send challenges

In the other game you missed d6 or e6 at some point in the opening iirc which lost a pawn with no compensation
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Can't even send multiple challenges at the same time, pfff

Links, then:
https://lichess.org/lbYtmh7Q
https://lichess.org/70PpaVvk
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Goodspeed wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 09:48
Sure I'll send challenges

In the other game you missed d6 or e6 at some point in the opening iirc which lost a pawn with no compensation
e6, would have been an even trade, or damaged your f file, had you insisted on the pawn :)
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

My internet is getting bad
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You on vacation in the middle of nowhere?
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Imagine the smell
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Goodspeed wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 07:40
You on vacation in the middle of nowhere?
Doing a project out in tbe boons, and working 12 hours a day.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Can you play Go with notation?

Probably not very many players who could imagine the board the whole game, haha.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mitoe wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 23:06
Can you play Go with notation?

Probably not very many players who could imagine the board the whole game, haha.
Playing without a board is not a thing apparently, but of course there's an Asian kid who went "challenge accepted" and somehow manages
Blind Go in the sense of "no board in use" is virtually never practiced. It is tough in chess, and almost impossible in Go: Even the strongest players cannot precisely remember the large (19x19) board, a notable exception being the Asian 6 dan amateur Bao Yun, who is said to compete almost as well in blind Go as with full vision.
from https://boardgames.stackexchange.com/qu ... lindfolded

Bao Yun: https://senseis.xmp.net/?BaoYun
On 19th December 2015, Bao Yun won 5 simultaneous blindfolded go games. The record has been registered by the Guiness Book of Records
Pretty sick

I think the most challenging part is that it's not only a bigger board, it's also that your focus tends to switch between specific areas of the board and while you're focused on a specific part you still have to remember the rest of it too.
It's surprising to me though that the top pros can't do this, but that it is possible with targeted training. I'd expect the pros, who can visualize future positions with crazy speed and precision when "calculating", would end up being able to do this with no extra training. It's almost the same skill. I suppose this Bao Yun guy probably has excellent reading ability (tactics in Chess terms) but may be far behind the pros in intuition and strategic understanding, which helps filter variations you want to actually look at. That could explain why he's not a pro
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Based

[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Thoughts on the Mengarini opening?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

this is an interesting thread maybe. nepo purports that because, given an identical Elo gap, the win rate/advantage has been decreasing with time, that either Elo needs revamped or cheating is widespread (or both).

e.g. "For example +400 advantage scores ~92% according to elo model, ~87% in 2008-2012, and drops over the years until in 2021-2023 they score ~80%."

I think the explanation for the phenomenon can be accounted for by the age of information and engines. In a sense information is being democratized, high tier analysis is no longer gatekept by top GMs, coach, or involvement in a chess club but can be performed on any pocket phone, there are a billion books, the best players in the world are streaming their every games and providing commentary, engines have further reinforced the idea that optimized chess is very drawish, it's more difficult to beat a player that wants to draw now, and wanting to draw is incentivized vs better players, the new crop of players are being exposed to all these ideas and environment since their start, and etc., all lead to the new crop (which are by definition largely lower rated as they are improving) which are the opposition of established Elo population having more tools -- both in mental perception and information -- to draw better players than before and lower the advantage of a given Elo difference.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

This is interesting. Could definitely mean there is cheating going on, but another cause could indeed be the increasing drawishness combined with not enough games being played for the system to correct itself.

Let's address the last factor first. By "the system correcting itself" I mean that if a player with 400 more elo than their opponent isn't scoring 91%, then soon the elo gap will no longer be 400. This is fundamentally how the system works. So even if the game got twice as drawish overnight, if everyone then plays a million games the next day, assuming no one improves while doing this, it would correct itself, meaning the elo gaps would simply get smaller across the board. Below average players would gain rating and above average players would lose rating. Carlsen would lose quite a lot.

Assuming there's not enough games being played, we can imagine that players aren't scoring what they're supposed to be scoring. And if this is indeed what's causing it, apparently the drawishness is increasing at a rate where the players aren't playing enough for their ratings to correct.

To illustrate this effect, say we have player A elo 2600 and player B elo 2700. B should score 64/100. In a game where draws are impossible, he will on average score that. In a game where 99% of games between players of this level are draws, suddenly the max he can score is 50.5/100.
So if chess, in theory, went from 50% drawish with a gap of 100 elo (max score 75/100) to 90% (max score 55/100) overnight, suddenly it's impossible for the higher rated player to score the expected 64/100 and maintain the elo gap and it will soon correct. I say soon, but that's assuming they actually play the game instead of tweeting about it.

I can kind of imagine this being the problem with OTB chess, especially in classical, because there just aren't enough games being played. In online chess however this should never be an issue.

In online chess there is much more cheating though, and cheating could also cause this. Players are, after all, much more likely to cheat against higher rated players, especially as the gaps get larger, which would make them score unexpectedly high. And then their ratings would correct back down when they play normally against players closer to their level. If this is what's going on, I would expect to see larger discrepancies between what's expected and reality as elo gaps get larger. Is that the case? 80% where 91% is expected is quite a big gap. What is the gap between expectation (64%) and reality at 100 elo difference in online chess?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Lol
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

he's just old and out. mr kramnik we'll see ya fudging later
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

That’s quite the response
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Now we have 2 former WCs having made bullshit accusations and one of them straight up going off the deep end almost as if he's on a cocaine bender or something. It's embarrassing as fuck