Was PoC right, accidentally?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Was PoC right, accidentally?

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023, 16:06
So how will AI truly change this? Our knowledge is mostly inaccurate, so the few extra inaccuracies that AI will add wont change the trend much. Smarter people will figure out that these AIs are not super reliable, and the dumb guys out there are already completely misinformed anyways.
I think you underestimate the potential of this tech. Basically we're at a point where we know the stuff that makes us intelligent is emergent, and we know it's emerging in much the same ways in large language models. Basically it has become almost a certainty that replicating human brain capacity with AI is not only very possible, it's not far off. It's only a matter of (surprisingly little) time before this new entity is smarter than all of us. Obviously it will change the world, drastically.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023, 16:43
the stuff that makes us intelligent is emergent
I really doubt intelligence develops despite our best efforts to not think of anything too deeply and just consoom
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It developed a long time ago?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I mean the idea that intelligence develops passively is a sus one to me. You could genetically test millions of people from the families of officially extremely smart people (scientists, philosophers, artists) and you'd find them to have the genetics for achieving high intelligence but somehow they didn't.
So how did intelligence appear in their relatives if it's just a trait that emerges passively?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

What? All people are intelligent. Not relative to each other of course, but that's not really the context we're in here.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

21 Apr 2023, 17:42
What? All people are intelligent. Not relative to each other of course, but that's not really the context we're in here.
Intelligence is a trait that appears due to external challenges, nobody decided at some point that it's time to start developing intelligence. It appeared as people started perceiving an external challenge and working towards responding to that challenge.
So it involves a holistic challenge-response environment, which includes challenges from other people who are direct competitors in honing the same trait.

The introduction of mass education forced kids to go through cognitively challenging tasks/homework/tests, which raised intelligence scores especially across those measurable dimensions (verbal, numerical, abstract reasoning).
What I'm getting at is that intelligence didn't simply develop passively, like bacteria spreading in a petri dish in an isolated, aseptic lab environment.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It appeared when brains got good enough, arguably with the arrival of homo sapiens
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

21 Apr 2023, 19:08
It appeared when brains got good enough, arguably with the arrival of homo sapiens
Any neanderthal could defeat an AI in a fight
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No need to. Just

and it's over for AI
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

We aren't going to pull the plug. It's going to be way too important to our economy
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

21 Apr 2023, 20:03
We aren't going to pull the plug. It's going to be way too important to our economy
What do you think the economy is
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

So how will AI truly change this? Our knowledge is mostly inaccurate, so the few extra inaccuracies that AI will add wont change the trend much. Smarter people will figure out that these AIs are not super reliable, and the dumb guys out there are already completely misinformed anyways.
I think you underestimate the potential of this tech. Basically we're at a point where we know the stuff that makes us intelligent is emergent, and we know it's emerging in much the same ways in large language models. Basically it has become almost a certainty that replicating human brain capacity with AI is not only very possible, it's not far off. It's only a matter of (surprisingly little) time before this new entity is smarter than all of us. Obviously it will change the world, drastically.
Im using it for work. Its nice, but it doesnt replicate a human brain at all... it cant even do my simple tasks for me.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

better embed of image

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

21 Apr 2023, 20:31
Im using it for work. Its nice, but it doesnt replicate a human brain at all... it cant even do my simple tasks for me.
If you mean ChatGPT, you're using an old version. The new version is MUCH better, not just quantitatively but qualitatively (meaning it's not just doing the same things slightly better, it's doing things we didn't think AI would be able to do in decades if ever), and the version in 2 years is going to be much better still.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote: ↑
22 Apr 2023, 03:22
better embed of image

Embedding it into Snapchat messenger is a really stupid thing to do because there are kids on there, but "if we don't do it our competitor will". That sentiment is going to prove highly destructive to society in the next few decades.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

fightinfrenchman wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023, 20:16
Do you think AI is not going to be important to our economy?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

22 Apr 2023, 07:46
21 Apr 2023, 20:16
I think it might be but if it actually becomes as powerful as you're predicting how do you think it would impact the economy
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Reddit utopia with UBI and stuff. Most everyone at home playing vidya, while the AI waters the potatoes
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

22 Apr 2023, 14:18
22 Apr 2023, 07:46
Show hidden quotes
I think it might be but if it actually becomes as powerful as you're predicting how do you think it would impact the economy
At that point it would control all production but more relevantly, way before that, very soon, it will be used in every industry to drastically improve productivity and unlock new possibilities
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

what does it mean to "control all production"? how will ai drastically improve productivity?
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

i hope ai can solve the labor conditions of textile sweat shops
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

22 Apr 2023, 14:43
22 Apr 2023, 14:18
Show hidden quotes
At that point it would control all production but more relevantly, way before that, very soon, it will be used in every industry to drastically improve productivity and unlock new possibilities
It's not going to control all production. Also I think the main uses of it are going to be things that reduce productivity significantly
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

One possible effect of AI becoming a ubiquitous tool could be that society could split between a technocratic overclass and a technoclueless underclass.
So the tech-savvy people could form like a new aristocracy that lords it over the rest of the population whose survival depends on the former.
If the nerds figure out how to automate every physical task with robots and AI, what would they need the brainlets for, except as a mass of herded consumers.
In a way, this is already happening in the USA, where a technocratic overclass of big tech entrepreneurs is lording it over the general population of consumers addicted to the latest iphone and netflix mindslop.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

22 Apr 2023, 15:10
what does it mean to "control all production"?
Literally do every job. But this is far off still and I don't think it's worth talking about. The first effects of this major shift are going to be noticeable in the next few years so we should talk about that, not the utopia that may be possible if we manage to integrate AI perfectly, which is a big if.
how will ai drastically improve productivity?
So many ways, you will see soon enough. It will become everyone's personal assistant, yours too. Almost everyone will be using it to do their job faster and better, and it will replace a ton of workers in the short term, a lot more long term. Accelerations in computing coinciding with and enabling AI (see: Nvidia's GTC keynote or this blog post about it) also will unlock big gains in productivity.
22 Apr 2023, 15:11
i hope ai can solve the labor conditions of textile sweat shops
That could've been solved by simple machines a long time ago, you don't need AI. The problem there is that labor is too cheap. But who knows, maybe it will be a side effect for some reason.
22 Apr 2023, 15:31
It's not going to control all production.
Why wouldn't it, eventually? What job do you think it won't be able to do?
Also I think the main uses of it are going to be things that reduce productivity significantly
Why do you think that?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

A few months old, but another example of the potential.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... rain-scan/