Best TV shows

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Re: Best TV shows

Post by Djigit »

Goodspeed wrote:
Djigit wrote:Some good series you've probably never heard about:
- OZ (Okay you might have heard about that one, since it belongs to the HBO golden trio along with The Wire and The Sopranos. It doesn't enjoy the same popularity as the 2 others, perhaps due to the last season being worse than GOT's.)
It's also just not nearly as good. Putting it in a "golden trio" with the wire and sopranos is overrating it by quite a bit, imo. HBO has made many things better than Oz.
- The Night Of
This is in the list.
- Chosen
- Escape at Dannemora
These I hadn't heard of. They don't seem particularly appealing at first glance. What made them stand out to you?
Escape at Dannemora: besides the thing I have for movies and series that depict a prison environment (nohomo) or simply confinement (Snowpiercer, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Room):
  • - The actors and the acting are good
    - Based on a true story
    - 7 episodes
Chosen:
  • - Really short episodes (20min or so)
    - Good leading actor
    - The plot is original enough
As for OZ, I watched the trio in reverse order. I started with The Wire, followed with The Sopranos then OZ.
At no point did I tell myself it aged poorly. If I had to briefly describe each of them:
  • - The Wire: the most entertaining
    - The Sopranos: the funniest
    - OZ: the deepest
For example and if I'm not mistaken, no other prison-related series or even movies dealt with forgiveness; not the judicial body's forgiveness, but a prisoner's.
Redemption is another interesting theme. In Prison Break, well you have a fake one...
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Djigit wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Djigit wrote:Some good series you've probably never heard about:
- OZ (Okay you might have heard about that one, since it belongs to the HBO golden trio along with The Wire and The Sopranos. It doesn't enjoy the same popularity as the 2 others, perhaps due to the last season being worse than GOT's.)
It's also just not nearly as good. Putting it in a "golden trio" with the wire and sopranos is overrating it by quite a bit, imo. HBO has made many things better than Oz.
- The Night Of
This is in the list.
- Chosen
- Escape at Dannemora
These I hadn't heard of. They don't seem particularly appealing at first glance. What made them stand out to you?
Escape at Dannemora: besides the thing I have for movies and series that depict a prison environment (nohomo) or simply confinement (Snowpiercer, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Room):
  • - The actors and the acting are good
    - Based on a true story
    - 7 episodes
Chosen:
  • - Really short episodes (20min or so)
    - Good leading actor
    - The plot is original enough
As for OZ, I watched the trio in reverse order. I started with The Wire, followed with The Sopranos then OZ.
At no point did I tell myself it aged poorly. If I had to briefly describe each of them:
  • - The Wire: the most entertaining
    - The Sopranos: the funniest
    - OZ: the deepest
For example and if I'm not mistaken, no other prison-related series or even movies dealt with forgiveness; not the judicial body's forgiveness, but a prisoner's.
Redemption is another interesting theme. In Prison Break, well you have a fake one...
Seems like you just really like prison stuff
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

I started watching wire after GS raved about it. I don't know about later episodes but first few seem kind of uninteresting to me.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Goodspeed wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:https://i.redd.it/vk0vvfsivw621.png

Btw did you watch Succession yet? Much better than the Witcher, and although I haven't seen the Mandalorian it seems safe to say that doesn't beat it either.
Also Chernobyl.
Thanks for recommending the Succession, it's fantastic. Anymore recommendations or should I finally watch The Witcher?
What of the OP haven't you seen?
I wouldn't recommend all of it at this point, but knowing what you haven't seen will help me pick something.
Have seen Black Mirror, Succession, Game of Thrones, Rick and Morty, Chernobyl, Westworld, Narcos, part of The Office, big part of The Walking Dead, House of Cards (except for the last season), the Expanse, Person of Interest, enough Family Guy.

I have also seen Altered Carbon, you may want to check it out. I was looking for the title and it seems like the trailer for season 2 just aired as well.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Started watching Into the Badlands because it had good ratings and the premise seemed cool, however it seems very shit
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

edeholland wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
What of the OP haven't you seen?
I wouldn't recommend all of it at this point, but knowing what you haven't seen will help me pick something.
Have seen Black Mirror, Succession, Game of Thrones, Rick and Morty, Chernobyl, Westworld, Narcos, part of The Office, big part of The Walking Dead, House of Cards (except for the last season), the Expanse, Person of Interest, enough Family Guy.

I have also seen Altered Carbon, you may want to check it out. I was looking for the title and it seems like the trailer for season 2 just aired as well.
Yeah we watched altered carbon. Meh.

I'd recommend Fargo or Breaking bad next, pretty much impossible not to like. If you're a fan of mafia stuff, try the Sopranos (it's also just a really good character drama).
Retired Contributor

I started watching peaky blinders and I like it, it's awesome. Though I couldn't exactly binge watch it, I never lost interest. Starting second season now.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Retired Contributor

I just couldn't get into it
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Has anyone watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The title sounds silly, but the show is still pretty good from what I’ve read.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

occamslightsaber wrote:Has anyone watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The title sounds silly, but the show is still pretty good from what I’ve read.
Yesh, although I wasn't smart enough to grasp the twists and turns of it back then LUL
I also remember watching Angel, Charmed and Dark Angel with the hottie Jessica Alba. I don't think these series aged very well.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Rewatching Trailer park boys, forgot how good it is
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I don't watch many, prefer full feature films, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Crown.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'm rewatching Breaking Bad from the start because I'm on corona quarantine. Man, it's so so good. A few eps into Season 2 right now, and I know it's going to get so much better. Last I watched it was in high school, so I've forgotten a lot of the details. The rewatch feels fresh; however, a lot of the really well crafted suspense from Villigan style flash-forwards I already know.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Has anybody mentioned 'Drive to Survive' yet on Netlfix? I already love F1 but this 10 part series (2 seasons now) is great for newcomers and is really well filmed and edited to really focus on the stories and drama of the sport
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

deleted_user wrote:I'm rewatching Breaking Bad from the start because I'm on corona quarantine. Man, it's so so good. A few eps into Season 2 right now, and I know it's going to get so much better. Last I watched it was in high school, so I've forgotten a lot of the details. The rewatch feels fresh; however, a lot of the really well crafted suspense from Villigan style flash-forwards I already know.
Somehow Skyler didn't piss me off as much as she did the first time I watched BB.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Djigit wrote:
deleted_user wrote:I'm rewatching Breaking Bad from the start because I'm on corona quarantine. Man, it's so so good. A few eps into Season 2 right now, and I know it's going to get so much better. Last I watched it was in high school, so I've forgotten a lot of the details. The rewatch feels fresh; however, a lot of the really well crafted suspense from Villigan style flash-forwards I already know.
Somehow Skyler didn't piss me off as much as she did the first time I watched BB.
Yeah I had this conversation with my roommate too who is also a big BB fan, because I've been having the same experience.

When we watched the show for the first time we were in high school. We were much less mature than now. I think Skyler acts very reasonably for the shit she's put through. She's put through a lot of shit. The narrative and point of view of the story affects how the characters are portrayed. It's too easy to see Walt as the badass protagonist and nothing else, and gloss over the very real humanity in these complex relationships.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Really good tv show on Netflix: Kingdom.
From the trailer I thought it was going to be very chlichè and shallow, but after seeing it i’d say it’s really well made and i’m impressed with how they managed to create an interesting atmosphere and interesing characters.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Tiger King
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's so good
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:It's so good
Convince @XeeleeFlower. I want to watch it but she's not interested
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Watched the first two episodes and it’s pretty cool
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

The guy is a GTA character
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.