Best TV shows

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Best TV shows

Post by gibson »

looking back over this thread I'm glad there aren't too many weebs here
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

oxaloacetate wrote:If anyone is interested in history-based spy dramas, I would strongly reccomend The Americans, and to a lesser degree, Deutschland 83 (and the "sequels").
Wait, what sequels?
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

Djigit wrote:
oxaloacetate wrote:If anyone is interested in history-based spy dramas, I would strongly reccomend The Americans, and to a lesser degree, Deutschland 83 (and the "sequels").
Wait, what sequels?

D86 is coming later this year, then D89 will finish it off in 2020 or something like that.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Altered Carbon (Netflix)
Sacred Games (Netflix)
McMafia (Amazon)
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:looking back over this thread I'm glad there aren't too many weebs here

Read up on Roger Ebert's opinion of Japanese animation :flowers:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nathan For You.
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

deleted_user wrote:
gibson wrote:looking back over this thread I'm glad there aren't too many weebs here

Read up on Roger Ebert's opinion of Japanese animation :flowers:

That being said i thoroughly enjoyed samurai champloo and one punch man
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

@ Mvp618 Samurai Champloo is really dope. Japanese animation has a lot of cool series and movies in general.

At the moment all I`m watching is The Expanse[really cool scifi series] and Preacher, tho` I have some issues with the latter, it`s really a fun watch and I`m curious in what direction it`s going.

I also finally finished The Wire and it`s pretty much as good as it was hyped to be.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

UpMySleeves wrote:At the moment all I`m watching is The Expanse[really cool scifi series]
Agreed. Such a great series and am glad it got picked up after SyFy canceled it.
and Preacher, tho` I have some issues with the latter, it`s really a fun watch and I`m curious in what direction it`s going.
Have you read the graphic novels? Those who have seem to be a bit polarized by the show. I personally went into the show knowing that it was going to be different and adjusted my expectations accordingly. Try to think of it as it happening in an alternate timeline or something like that. I'm looking forward to seeing the Locke and Key tv adaption, though I'm also going into that with minimal expectations.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

deleted_user wrote:Nathan For You.

10/10 - inn
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Omg, the season 4 finale, two hour special... I'm floored.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nathan For You is the best show I've seen.
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

deleted_user wrote:Nathan For You is the best show I've seen.

I agree. Literally the only show that gets me lmao
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Narcos
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Agreed. Such a great series and am glad it got picked up after SyFy canceled it.

Hopefully it`ll only get better.

Have you read the graphic novels? Those who have seem to be a bit polarized by the show. I personally went into the show knowing that it was going to be different and adjusted my expectations accordingly. Try to think of it as it happening in an alternate timeline or something like that. I'm looking forward to seeing the Locke and Key tv adaption, though I'm also going into that with minimal expectations.

I`m currently reading issues 50 or something like that. I`m glad they didn`t got page-by-page with it, I like that it`s doing its own thang as they gave us some really fun scenes. My first problem was the casting for Jesse and Tulip, tho` I like both the actors, I just didn`t quite felt them for those roles. I did get used to them but now I`m really not liking some of the choices the 2 of them are making as it feels unfaithful to the characters.
Didn`t read lock and key, tho` I heard good things about it. I didn`t even knew they making an adaptation, hopefully it`s not on some Cloak and Dagger shit[the recent comic adaptation I mean].
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Added "the Terror and "Big little lies" to the OP.

I don't usually like horror but the Terror was great. Character drama first horror second.
Big little lies if you're into slice of life drama. Great writing.

I remember watching a couple of episodes of Nathan for You. I think it was too reality-TV-y for me. Should I give it another chance? @deleted_user4 what's so great about it?
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

Goodspeed wrote:Added "the Terror and "Big little lies" to the OP.

I don't usually like horror but the Terror was great. Character drama first horror second.
Big little lies if you're into slice of life drama. Great writing.

I remember watching a couple of episodes of Nathan for You. I think it was too reality-TV-y for me. Should I give it another chance? @deleted_user4 what's so great about it?

its just awkward humor that is funny

I really enjoyed the new nerdwriter video on the show
phpBB [video]
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

@Goodspeed it makes me laugh more than any other show, for one. The elaborate and increasingly complex plans to achieve the overarching and simple goal of "improving small business" is creative and novel, and not only is it contingent on Nathan going out there and actually being this character that's sort of not based in reality, with a seriousness that he never lets up, surrounded by people who, on the whole, are unaware of the character, but it's aided by it. It's like constant, uncomfortable juxtaposition, his interactions with people. It's a performance.

He's so successful at what he does he manages to trick local media outlets to report on his wacky stunts an alarming percentage of the time, which give it actual legitimization. It's, in a way, extremely manipulative. But are the media outlets the fools? He orchestrates situations and scenarios so elaborate and in-depth who would make it up? All episodes start out with absurdity, and then earn legitimacy.

But it somehow finds a way to explore concepts about comedy and interaction that only Nathan can do -- from this character with a viewpoint that's so out of touch with normal interaction and with a staggering budget he performs kind of socially engineered experiments, and he's so funny, the timings are perfect, and you get to meet some real characters along the way.

If you have to watch one episode of Nathan For You though I'd recommend the season 4 Finale "Finding Frances" (even though it's enhanced by watching some of the original show). It's an hour and a half special and borderline documentary. It's more explicit in its serious themes than his other episodes but it's still classic Nathan, still Nathan For You, but it challenges the character and the show to ask questions about what they are, and there's an insight into a sad old man, and there's the first person on the show that Nathan's revealed the show's true nature to, and there's a moment where he acknowledges that it's is "kind of mean." "-Well, yeah, that's business."

Idk man,
It's just really fun and surprisingly poignant at times for a show that makes me laugh at every scene.

Edit: I haven't seen that Nerdwriter piece on it but I'm watching it now, we seem to be getting at the same idea albeit I just scrawled some things on my phone between skyrim load screens. If you're going for social breakdowns the theatre episode in the Nerdwriter video is one of the most explicit and successful. That episode makes you think, has black mirror tones, since I know you (mart) like that show. Or the moving business, "the movement" episode really highlighhts general public gullibility with what a little budget can achieve. The "I love you" scene was fucking great -- I was tearing up from laughter and also like, "damn, Nathan." Ik that sounds contrived but, yeah, it works.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

"Hotel / Travel Angent" is so good so far.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Thanks I'll give it another shot sometime
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nathan For You, Season 3 Episode 8, "The Hero" ... my god.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but i'm honestly amazed nobody mentioned Blackadder, quite honestly the best comedy series of all time.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Nah

Good bump tho

Has anyone seen Dark yet? The internet (mostly /r/television) is hyping it up but I'm hesitant
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Top shot best tv show, cool to see who wins that bass pro shops gift card
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »