The ear has a new phone

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: The ear has a new phone

Post by momuuu »

gamevideo113 wrote:The problem with phones nowadays is the battery. After 3-4 years that you have one phone the battery is not even gonna last you half a day, so you'll have to change your phone, regardless of its snappy/sluggish performance (you could also change the battery but that is kinda expensive). Then you will also not recieve any more updates so that's even more sux.
Therefore i think spending more than ~300 dollars on a new phone isn't a good idea. Ideally you'd want to get a phone that has battery and acceptable performance that decay at about the same, so after 3-4 years you can change your phone without guilt because it has both a shitty battery and a shitty snappyness. Getting a 1000$ phone and changing it 3 years later even if it still runs well just because its battery sucks is a bit dumb imo.

Its true the battery degrades after a while, however in my experience other problems have come up too. I must say though, I have a oneplus 5 (from whatever generation that is) and its battery seems to be completely fine still - lasts me almost two entire days. I try to charge it once every fwo days as that supposedly preserves the battery. Maybe that will actually double its lifetime.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Oneplus 5 came out like 1 year ago, of course the battery is still fine. But i think you are right, the less you recharge your phone the longer its battery life will be. Ultimately though is simply depends on how much you use your phone.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

gamevideo113 wrote:Oneplus 5 came out like 1 year ago, of course the battery is still fine. But i think you are right, the less you recharge your phone the longer its battery life will be. Ultimately though is simply depends on how much you use your phone.

Yeah, my phone is only a year old. But I feel like most more modern phone have even better battery life (all previous phones had a 1 day battery life at best) which means you need less rechargering which prolangs the battery life and I feel like this would also mean the battery can start decaying longer before it truly becomes a problem.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

It might be a specific case with your oneplus 5 since it is supposed to be a very well optimized phone, so standby battery consumption should be very low, but i don't think it can be really established as a rule that modern phones have better batteries. Screens are bigger, with more pixel density and there are many more functions that might drain the battery in the background so overall i'd say the battery situation hasn't changed much, also considering that now the minimum battery for a phone is like 3000 mAh while five years ago 2000 mAh would have been a totally acceptable number.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

gamevideo113 wrote:The problem with phones nowadays is the battery. After 3-4 years that you have one phone the battery is not even gonna last you half a day, so you'll have to change your phone, regardless of its snappy/sluggish performance (you could also change the battery but that is kinda expensive). Then you will also not recieve any more updates so that's even more sux.
Therefore i think spending more than ~300 dollars on a new phone isn't a good idea. Ideally you'd want to get a phone that has battery and acceptable performance that decay at about the same, so after 3-4 years you can change your phone without guilt because it has both a shitty battery and a shitty snappyness. Getting a 1000$ phone and changing it 3 years later even if it still runs well just because its battery sucks is a bit dumb imo.
if you have an iPhone and Apple store or an Apple authorized retailer will replace your battery for 30$
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

gibson wrote:
if you have an iPhone and Apple store or an Apple authorized retailer will replace your battery for 30$

Afaik it is way more expensive here in italy. If that's the case in the US then i finally found something to like about Apple.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
India guyshir
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: guyshir

Post by guyshir »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
guyshir wrote:Why not buy Google Pixel for $319 then?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 001E-00024

Shit's too old, and also that is even more money

Even if it is old it is much better overall by many folds, plus you have sock andriod, and will get updates for a few versions of andriod.
gibson wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

What did you use your iphone X for? The only argument for me is pictures, and even then, pictures dont really matter much.
Good Camera, facial recognition, apple pay, talking emojis, beautiful oled screen, no home button, tap to turn on display, ios in general, and thats about 1% of it.

Replace Apple pay by samsung pay and/or andriod pay and ios by andriod, all these features were in S8 atleast 6 months before iphone X, and for a cheaper price.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

No the iPhone x has a better camera than the s8, the facial recognition is better, it has a home button, there are no talking emojis, you can't send money to other people with Samsung pay, although the s8 did have a great screen.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

It's very expensive tho
India guyshir
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: guyshir

Post by guyshir »

gibson wrote:No the iPhone x has a better camera than the s8, the facial recognition is better, it has a home button, there are no talking emojis, you can't send money to other people with Samsung pay, although the s8 did have a great screen.

Camera: Samsung better at night at rendering than Iphone. During the day, Iphone is better.
Facial recognition: It should find people, both do it just fine.
IT HAS HOME BUTTON: WHAT? S8 doesn't have.
Talking emojis: Just download an app.
you can't send money to other people with Samsung pay: So, if you have to send money to an andriod user, can you send through apple pay? Also, you can use Venmo, Square cash, or direct bank to bank, I am sure you have bank apps on phone.

At the end, you are talking about >$300 difference.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

No the iphone X is better all around than the s8. Now the s9 camera is better than the iphone X, but not the s8. Yes the s8 has a home button lol. Not a physical button, its on screen, but it still has one. Samsungs facial recognition is much worse than apples. First off, it doesnt work in the dark. @nd, someone who looks a lot like you, like a twin, can unlock your phone with it. No you obviously can't send money to android users with apple pay, but at least 80% of college students in america have iphones. Also,Sumsung phones dont last as long, are more likely to have battery issues, and are much more expensive to fix when they do have battery issues. Also, you dont have imessage or facetime, you can't use airpods, and the biggest problem of them all, you have to use android.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

One thing i really don't understand is facial recognition. What's wrong with the fingerprint unlock? It kinda feels like they are innovating for the sake of it or just for marketing purposes, not for an acutal usage benefit. You're gonna use the phone with your hand anyway, so why should you have to bother pointing it to your face every time you want to use it? Also, i'm pretty sure having a camera constantly active to see if my ugly face pops up adds up to the battery consumption.
Btw this is not aimed to specifically apple, it's aimed to every brand who just chose to follow this useless trend.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Since we're at it, what makes you prefer iOS over Android? @gibson
I have tried both but neither of them strikes me as being objectively better than the other. I prefer android because i'm used to it and it feels a bit more flexible but that's just my 2 cents
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

You're phone is already pointing at your face, if you're looking at it. It's just easier than finger print unlock cause you literally have to do nothing.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

gamevideo113 wrote:Since we're at it, what makes you prefer iOS over Android? @gibson
I have tried both but neither of them strikes me as being objectively better than the other. I prefer android because i'm used to it and it feels a bit more flexible but that's just my 2 cents
I prefer Ios because it runs smoother, and phones running Ios tend to last longer because its more optimized than android since apple is more restrictive about customization and apps. Sure, you can technically do more with android, but you can do what 99.9% of people want a phone to do on an iphone. I sell phones for my job. People come in all the time with Samsung s7s that are overheating, slow, or won't hold a charge. I never sell any samsung phones that aren't the newest generation, because people know if they buy an s7 or even an s8 now, its gonna have issues in the next year or two. However people are still buying iphone 6s, which work just fine. On top of that, the fact you can get apple to change the battery for you for 30 bucks is huge,getting in replaced in a samsung is at a minimum double that.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

gibson wrote:You're phone is already pointing at your face, if you're looking at it. It's just easier than finger print unlock cause you literally have to do nothing.

Lazy 'muricans
Actually i disagree. I often look at my phone while it's on my desk and it's not directly pointing at my face. I think a frontal fingerprint sensor is more practical.

gibson wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:Since we're at it, what makes you prefer iOS over Android? @gibson
I prefer Ios because it runs smoother, and phones running Ios tend to last longer because its more optimized than android since apple is more restrictive about customization and apps. Sure, you can technically do more with android, but you can do what 99.9% of people want a phone to do on an iphone. I sell phones for my job. People come in all the time with Samsung s7s that are overheating, slow, or won't hold a charge. I never sell any samsung phones that aren't the newest generation, because people know if they buy an s7 or even an s8 now, its gonna have issues in the next year or two. However people are still buying iphone 6s, which work just fine. On top of that, the fact you can get apple to change the battery for you for 30 bucks is huge,getting in replaced in a samsung is at a minimum double that.

Maybe the animations are more buttery (is that even a word?) but in terms of actual speed there isn't any difference. Apple phones tend to last longer indeed, although they get slowed down with updates which is kinda lame (just tell me to change my battery and i'll do it, no need to downclock my cpu or other shit of that sort). Btw it is well known that samsung top phones don't last very long, i definitely wouldn't buy samsung if i had 600 euros to throw on a phone. I'd rather get oneplus/xiaomi/(motorola)/asus/pixel/sony. Samsung has a big name but isn't actually better than its competitors imo. The battery change thingy is great though, i'll give you that. But as i said you still get some diminishing returns over time even if the OS is more optimized, because you get software castration :/
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Samsung is simply better than Iphone, I don't know when people will accept that :shrug: I bought S2, S4, Iphone 5s, S8 in the same order, My S2 and S4 still works perfectly fine. Iphone 5s stopped working after 1 year and its repair cost me ~200$ (I didn't do it btw). My S4 even dropped onto road from bike at 80 km/ph, it just has few scratches or broken things at side (screen is fine body is just bit mess) S8 is one year older and has been dropped tons of time ( Just a small <1 mm dent at bottom nothing else ) Its still as fast as day 1 and I use it like shit.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

princeofcarthage wrote:Samsung is simply better than Iphone, I don't know when people will accept that :shrug: I bought S2, S4, Iphone 5s, S8 in the same order, My S2 and S4 still works perfectly fine. Iphone 5s stopped working after 1 year and its repair cost me ~200$ (I didn't do it btw). My S4 even dropped onto road from bike at 80 km/ph, it just has few scratches or broken things at side (screen is fine body is just bit mess) S8 is one year older and has been dropped tons of time ( Just a small <1 mm dent at bottom nothing else ) Its still as fast as day 1 and I use it like shit.
That's just wrong. I tell people who aren't sure whether they want an Iphone or samsung that there isn't a huge difference, which is mostly true. However, as someone who sees 20+ phones a day, I have to say that generally speaking, iPhones last longer. So if we're only going by anecdotal evidence, who do you think has a more accurate grasp of the situation, you, who have owned 5 phones, or me, who has seen a minimum of 100 phones a week for the last year?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Why can't I edit my post?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:Why can't I edit my post?

It's ESOC Archive section. Been like this since they did it.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Who said iphone lives longer than samsug ? Galaxy s4 is doing great compared to shitty iphone 4s. My two friends have iphones and their phones are randomly restarting or are completely shut down in wintertime when its cold outside. In terms of battery galaxies do just fine.i have galaxy s7 which i bought when it came out and it works so smooth and i dont have any complains about the battery lifetill this day. People who use galaxy and say it's battery life is very short usually dont understand shit in smartphones, there are many features which they turn on without using them and dont even think that could shorten battery life.from galaxy s7 samsungs have 3000 mah batteries whereas iphones have 1800 mah and only iphone x is a bit higher with 2800 mah, plus to this the fact that with every android upgrade they raise the processors efficiency and by that make the batteries live longer
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

I wouldn't buy samsung as a long term investment though because they always have an oled screen which might not age as well as an ips.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Sargsyan wrote:Who said iphone lives longer than samsug ? Galaxy s4 is doing great compared to shitty iphone 4s. My two friends have iphones and their phones are randomly restarting or are completely shut down in wintertime when its cold outside. In terms of battery galaxies do just fine.i have galaxy s7 which i bought when it came out and it works so smooth and i dont have any complains about the battery lifetill this day. People who use galaxy and say it's battery life is very short usually dont understand shit in smartphones, there are many features which they turn on without using them and dont even think that could shorten battery life.from galaxy s7 samsungs have 3000 mah batteries whereas iphones have 1800 mah and only iphone x is a bit higher with 2800 mah, plus to this the fact that with every android upgrade they raise the processors efficiency and by that make the batteries live longer
Just because iphones generally last longer does not mean that every single iphone is going to last longer than every single samsung. Obviously an iphone 4s is not gonna be doing well, I mean the phone came out when I was in middle school. I highly doubt a samsung s4 is gonna work perfectly either. The size of the battery has very little to do with how long the battery will actually last, especially when you're comparing iphone to android. Iphones are optimized better, they use less power, and they are often smaller. Thats why an iphone 8 lasts just as long as a samsung s8, even though the samsungs battery is much much larger. Actually updating an older device generally causes battery life to go down.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

gibson wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Samsung is simply better than Iphone, I don't know when people will accept that :shrug: I bought S2, S4, Iphone 5s, S8 in the same order, My S2 and S4 still works perfectly fine. Iphone 5s stopped working after 1 year and its repair cost me ~200$ (I didn't do it btw). My S4 even dropped onto road from bike at 80 km/ph, it just has few scratches or broken things at side (screen is fine body is just bit mess) S8 is one year older and has been dropped tons of time ( Just a small <1 mm dent at bottom nothing else ) Its still as fast as day 1 and I use it like shit.
That's just wrong. I tell people who aren't sure whether they want an Iphone or samsung that there isn't a huge difference, which is mostly true. However, as someone who sees 20+ phones a day, I have to say that generally speaking, iPhones last longer. So if we're only going by anecdotal evidence, who do you think has a more accurate grasp of the situation, you, who have owned 5 phones, or me, who has seen a minimum of 100 phones a week for the last year?

1) Seeing a phone doesn't automatically imply you know everything about it.
2) Secondly if you want to go into anecdotal evidence, my entire family even going into relatives that is my mom's sister etc. own a bunch of retail stores, supermarkets, restaurants across town. I have literally seen truckloads of phone.
3) My distant relative cousin works in Apple ( touch screen department ). He got 3 Iphone X -> still uses S9.
4) I have seen all types of phones ranging from windows, blackberry, ios, android, old nokia phones, tizen os (ever heard of this?)
I stand by my statement. Samsung phones are generally better than Apple.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I regret bumping this thread
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix