The ear has a new phone

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Re: The ear has a new phone

Post by Sargsyan »

Of all phones i had, nokia 6600 is the best
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Lol when I say iv seen a phone I don't just mean Iv looked at it lol. I mean iv talked to its owner about it and often used it myself. My Samsung rep uses an iPhone, so what? People like different things. Android has its advantages, ios has its advantages. One of the advantages of Android is its much less controlled so you can technically do more with it. A disadvantage of this is that Android slows down quicker than ios. Also, even though Samsung makes the panels for Iphones( not for the new ones though unfortunately) panels in Samsung phones break easier because of the fact that they're curved. Also, the sim card/SD card tray in new Samsung phones is made very poorly. I have people come to me regularly asking if we sell them. Unfortunately we don't, they have to be ordered so these people are without cellular service for several days. Also, iphones are warrantied better than Samsungs. Apple is more willing to work with people and the process is much easier than Samsung. Also apples extended warranty is better value. It's much cheaper to get a new battery for an iPhone than a Samsung. And yes, I know what tumi os is, my watch runs it. My job title is literally mobile expert. Once again, it's largely a matter of personal preference, but if you want a phone that's going to be easy to use and last, your best bet is an iPhone. Just cause you had a bad experience with one iPhone and have a cousin who uses a Samsung doesn't mean they're better phones. I am trained by Samsung and Apple representatives on their cellular devices and deal with every single device they're made in the past few years on an almost daily basis, so I'd say I'm qualified to say that Samsung phones are not objectively better. You can make an argument for android being superior to ios, and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but in terms of phone quality and length of life, iphones are better.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Nokia 6600 is better, case closed
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Its exactly opposite in India,
1) officially iphones are not repaired in India, they just replace and that too not free(even if its in warranty period) You have to pay about 40%-50% value of the phone.
2) samsung has a better customer service compared to apple. Even official samsung repairs are cheaper than Iphone.
3) When my Iphone randomly stopped working after one year -> unofficial repair cost = 12k or about 200$
4) I scratched my s8+ screen after 20 days during a trip to sri lanka. -> they replaced the screen for free and I only had to pay labour charges which was rs 600 or about 10$

Its possible people have different experiences and idk about usa but in India samsung phones are generally well built and solid, while iphones aren't. That being said in the end it does come to individual phones.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@fightinfrenchman consoom new phone when?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

harcha wrote:@fightinfrenchman consoom new phone when?
I've had my Galaxy S10+ for over 2 years now but don't really feel like upgrading that much. I kind of want one of the cool new folding phones but even as someone who has never cared about wasting money on phones they're still too expensive for me
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

the z flip is within reach i think. but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a phone any time soon, as I bought one new phone at launch and swore to never do that again.

why do you change phones so often?
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'm gonna have a hard time finding a new phone when I decide to get a new one. The market moved in a direction I don't like and I'd want something with fewer gimmicky features and more build durability.
But since almost every phone today is a glass sandwich with soldered on battery that you can't replace by yourself, dumb phones are also looking like a useful alternative.

That's just when it comes to hardware, but as software is concerned, I'd rather get a phone with an open-source OS, so that I won't depend on the company who produced the phone to give me updates in the future. Which typically stops after a few years, making the phone obsolete.

So, if I could find an open-source phone with a metal build, I'd dig that.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

forget about user replaceable batteries. maybe you can consider buying some simple tools and taking the phone apart whenever the necessity comes around
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I'm downgrading to a brick when I get my next phone I think.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

i would be worried that someone will think that i'm a drug dealer
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@harcha
Yeah, I already did that with some devices. I replaced the internal battery from a toothbrush, then put it back again and it worked.
But phones are a lot more complicated now. You need to blow hot air on it with a dryer just to unglue its frame. If you don't find a guide from someone who already did it without breaking anything, you might brick it.
Hopefully this "right to repair" trend launched by the EU will catch on and phonemakers will be forced to make phones whose parts you can replace yourself.
harcha wrote:i would be worried that someone will think that i'm a drug dealer
Tbh, I already look like a drug dealer.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

@Dolan what you described is what I mean. It's not too difficult to get those things open if you have some patience, basic tools and some tutorials to learn from. I doubt any "right to repair" movement is gonna cause the return of user replaceable batteries in smartphones in the coming decade.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I think it will, because companies will be accused they actively work to make people's devices they bought just a few years ago become obsolete or even unusable.
Some authorities in EU states have already fined corporations for doing that:

And what with this whole trend of talking about sustainability, reducing electronic waste, etc, making phones have replaceable batteries will become a selling point again.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

harcha wrote:the z flip is within reach i think. but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a phone any time soon, as I bought one new phone at launch and swore to never do that again.

why do you change phones so often?
Well the Z Fold is the cool one I actually want, but I can't justify spending that much. Maybe in a couple years

I just like trying new things and I usually get them fairly cheap. Haven't really had the desire to change up my current one though
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

fightinfrenchman wrote:
illmatic wrote:Haha I currently have a Nexus 6. Why did you choose the HTC over the 6P?
Just prefer the hardware and I'm an HTC fan. LCD screens are also superior to AMOLED
Since Dolan randomly liked this post from half a decade ago (jesus) I feel the need to clarify that this isn't true anymore, but at the time it was a solid point. I had only had negative experiences with AMOLED phones then (they had horrible burn-in issues) but that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

my gfs s8 is burnt in like a crisp. my s9+ has hardly any signs tho. it's mostly how you use it
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

OLED will get worse no matter what, because it's made of organic stuff. Like, in time, whites will get yellower, but since it happens very gradually, you won't realise
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

i'm fine with that, i planned for this phone to last 5 years. software always changing means that you can't use a smartphone from 10 years ago to all of it's intended functionality 10 years in the future. i'm just saying that how fast OLED ages is significantly influenced by how you use it, as it has been evident to me
Dolan wrote:I think it will, because companies will be accused they actively work to make people's devices they bought just a few years ago become obsolete or even unusable.
Some authorities in EU states have already fined corporations for doing that:

And what with this whole trend of talking about sustainability, reducing electronic waste, etc, making phones have replaceable batteries will become a selling point again.
this, honestly, is old stuff. see this, much more exciting! https://uspirg.org/blogs/blog/usp/apple ... nti-repair
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:OLED will get worse no matter what, because it's made of organic stuff. Like, in time, whites will get yellower, but since it happens very gradually, you won't realise
It definitely used to be much worse. Although now that I look, when at full brightness I can faintly see the outline of the home button on my screen when it shouldn't be there
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Getting ready to shill out for the iPhone 13 pro max cause I want the 120hz refresh rate
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

2021 and Apple still puts an ugly notch on the phone lol..
ImageImage
Xiaomi already figured this out and has 120Hz screen too
imagine paying $1099 for a fashion statement that still has a notch
just lol
Retired Contributor

@Dolan Apple wasn't fined cuz they slowed the phone, they were fined cuz they apparently didn't convey it to consumers.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:2021 and Apple still puts an ugly notch on the phone lol..
ImageImage
Xiaomi already figured this out and has 120Hz screen too
imagine paying $1099 for a fashion statement that still has a notch
just lol
Apple is always late to party.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Because the notch isn’t a make or break for 99% of consumers. Instead they put effort into improving processing power even though 99% of their customers could function on their 3 generation old processor lol.