England maybe leave EU june 23.

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: England maybe leave EU june 23.

Post by princeofcarthage »

The world should collectively refuse to trade with UK tbh. There is nothing of strategic importance left anyways. Last major tech company is being bought by Nvidia. Oxford and Cambridge have lost their importance. So on and so on
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

They import a lot more than they export, so we're actually making money off them.
Retired Contributor

Yeah but it's not about making money. Money only has so much value after all. Its about punishing UK for their backward thinking and steps.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's like cutting your nose to spite your face. The trade relation with the UK works to our advantage.
It's not just about money, this keeps lots of people employed.
And we don't rly need to create unnecessary animosity with a neighbour.
Retired Contributor

It's about the greater good. Why do you think EU has taken hard stance on Brexit? A successful British exit and prosperity post that is a threat to EU and dream of political unification and by extension threat to Earth Council. People can be employed in other ways. There are many countries to trade with. British started the animosity not me, not EU.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

>Earth Council

Why do you think centralising decisions somehow improves things for anyone. This isn't SEELE or the Human Instrumentality Project.
If you want to see what failure of internationalism looks like, check out the UN.
Retired Contributor

UN lacks any actual power and is not an independent organization per se. 2/3 depending on your allegiance, countries are non co-operative with rest. Hence any meaningful resolutions get vetoed. Countries like Russia, USA, China, regularly bypass UN on their whim. Secondly many organizations under UN require their own membership and this UN cannot bring them to responsibility alone. That being said you should also look at the successes of UN with its limited power. I do not propose a co-operative organization like UN.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Welcome to the world of real politics, where players don't like to simply give up their powers just for the sake of some unicorn idea of internationalism.
For them, internationalism is just another way to further their interests.
Retired Contributor

Yes, which is why it is a long game. The concept of unifying the world under single umbrella isn't a new one. Alexander wanted to do that and kinda did with the known world. Rome wanted that. Napoleon wanted that, Hitler, so on and so on. USA wants it although it is attempting a different strategy than simple domination. UK managed to bring ~25% of world under its control at its peak. Imagine instead of simply for the purpose of exploitation, British actually treated annexed lands as its own like it does with Falkland now UK could've easily had more land today. Anyways some Alexander is going to be born and he will unite the world either by domination or through shrewd tactics. Empire will collapse, it will happen again. The core issue will be education and homogenization of the population. When the Alexander hits the correct cord, it will happen. It is statistically inevitable. Murphy's law.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Wtf am I reading.. Those ppl didn't want to unify the world, they wanted to conquer it, to subdue it and exploit for their own personal glory and the benefit of their ethnic group.
There was no concept of "humanity" or universal whatever back then. It was just one big FFA.
Retired Contributor

Yeah, which is exactly why I gave the example of British Empire and what it could have done to advance the goal. Colonies revolted because they were not british. Anyways the point is people have been able to do that or come closer to it though it maybe limited to their knowledge. And that it will happen again. Along with increasing tolerance of people, the barriers are also coming down except for certain sections of society. The main issue with EU is that it still lacks equality. Quality of life in spain =/= germany. But if it was, and there was general tolerance amongst populace for different cultures which generally is the case in well educated and well off society, it wouldn't matter if you stay in germany or spain and whether you are german or spain. You will actually be glad to be part of something bigger i.e. EU. Nationalism generally fades with better QoL and better pay and good society. It all basically circles back to education and information.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Why are Europeans like this?

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Says who based on what.
Also it's not like vaccination happens instantly, it's a process, it takes making appointments, scheduling.
Of course there's going to be some stockpiles, otherwise you can't have any ongoing process of vaccination.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

It's like Brits are just learning that the EU is a vastly bigger place than their island. The European Union has 450m inhabitants. A "stockpile" of 14m vaccine doses is a rather tiny number.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

duckzilla wrote:It's like Brits are just learning that the EU is a vastly bigger place than their island. The European Union has 450m inhabitants. A "stockpile" of 14m vaccine doses is a rather tiny number.
Then why do Europeans make so much noise about exporting 10m vaccines to the UK?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I might not have made my point clear enough. A stockpile of 14m doses is a small number. Stockpile in the sense of currently within logistics, being delivered or already at the correct destination but held back to ensure vaccine supply for jabbing over the next days.

As far as I know, there should be a difference between vaccinations delivered by, say, AZ and the number of vaccine doses given to people. It's not like AZ delivers its vaccinations directly into people's veins.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

duckzilla wrote:I might not have made my point clear enough. A stockpile of 14m doses is a small number. Stockpile in the sense of currently within logistics, being delivered or already at the correct destination but held back to ensure vaccine supply for jabbing over the next days.

As far as I know, there should be a difference between vaccinations delivered by, say, AZ and the number of vaccine doses given to people. It's not like AZ delivers its vaccinations directly into people's veins.
I thought the reference point was the EU’s population of 450m? Is 10m supposed to be a big number in that context?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Any millions of doses count, because when you build stockpiles for the vaccination process, you add some millions from AZ, some millions from Pfizer etc.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

UK and the Northern Ireland Protocol

UK and trade

Brexit is pure cringe tbh

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Free Ireland imo.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Ireland should just reunite. Then all the Brexit issues related to N Ireland would be solved.
Except the one with the Protestants living there, but it'd basically be history turning the table on them.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Alternatively, NI could just leave the UK and join the EU together with Scotland.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

Are we seeing history made in front of our eyes? The final nail in the coffin of the British Empire? We have heard stories of Empires collapsing, will we now see it with our own eyes for the first time? (I may not have been born during Soviet Collapse) Will UK face the punishment finally for throwing the world into dystopian present? I say now the world should unite and collectively bury those bastards! Also what the fuck and why the fuck is US interfering. Like fuck off, have you not already made enough messes in the world.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

princeofcarthage wrote:Are we seeing history made in front of our eyes? The final nail in the coffin of the British Empire? We have heard stories of Empires collapsing, will we now see it with our own eyes for the first time? (I may not have been born during Soviet Collapse) Will UK face the punishment finally for throwing the world into dystopian present? I say now the world should unite and collectively bury those bastards! Also what the fuck and why the fuck is US interfering. Like fuck off, have you not already made enough messes in the world.
To the first part of your post: even if we count the current developments into a general demise of the British Empire, this is not really a collapse but a slow decline. To the second part: wtf what is wrong with you?

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

duckzilla wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Are we seeing history made in front of our eyes? The final nail in the coffin of the British Empire? We have heard stories of Empires collapsing, will we now see it with our own eyes for the first time? (I may not have been born during Soviet Collapse) Will UK face the punishment finally for throwing the world into dystopian present? I say now the world should unite and collectively bury those bastards! Also what the fuck and why the fuck is US interfering. Like fuck off, have you not already made enough messes in the world.
To the first part of your post: even if we count the current developments into a general demise of the British Empire, this is not really a collapse but a slow decline. To the second part: wtf what is wrong with you?
Tbh I haven't slept in past 36 or so hrs and I might be bit tipsy. But I am not sure which second part are you referring to. US or burying UK? Also British Empire literally collapsed after WW2. Now it is just slow decline of whats remaining. Thought as a German you would be happy burying those filthy and nasty Brits tbh.