The "Is there a god?" thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Is there a God

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 58

Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Re: The

Post by Snuden »

YESH!
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

I knew that for long time due to yr avater long time.
will pray to the only living God for you dude
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

dietschlander wrote:I knew that for long time due to yr avater long time.
will pray to the only living God for you dude

Me?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

yesh
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Thanks.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

I believe in the science behind Intelligent Design.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

There doesn't appear to be a god, but there is a Garja.
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_KEVaCyaA&t=219s[/youtube]
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Looking backwards at the probability of something that happened and saying it couldn’t have happened this way because it has x probability is a horrible way of looking at things. Unlikely and improbable things happen every single second of every single day. Take a deck of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 unique cards and pick one. The probability of picking any card is 1/ whatever number I said above, and yet a card is still picked.
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

But that's the thing: It's a string of successive coincidences eventually tallying up to a ridiculous high improbability when moving from individual proteines to RNA and then DNA in an oxygen-free environment.

In any case, no use rly to repeat talking points you haven't read anyhow or ever will..
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

It's just gib-son and his best buy logic, thinking it would fly on ESOC.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Radix_Lecti wrote:But that's the thing: It's a string of successive coincidences eventually tallying up to a ridiculous high improbability when moving from individual proteines to RNA and then DNA in an oxygen-free environment.

In any case, no use rly to repeat talking points you haven't read anyhow or ever will..
i mean it’s the same principle. The chances of every single thing and decision that’s happened in my life happening the way it’s happened is far less likely than what you linked, and yet here I am today
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The problem with the argument is that the source is some biased guy in a youtube video. Those numbers sound arbitrary.
No Flag stronk
Skirmisher

Post by stronk »

gibson wrote:
titumir wrote:Well i think Honestly , this question trying to get better of faith vs fact . Whoever believes in god or who doesn''t both are on faith . just different faith. There was a time when people use to believe earth is the center of universe . Galileo was even executed for saying otherwise. Imagine millions of people left this world believing earth is the center of universe , now we know sun is in the center. So maybe 50-100 year later just before the judgement day , science can prove there is god then how many would die already believing there isn''t one. My point is , if there is no god , the people that believes in god have nothing to worry about after death , but if there is one everything to worry about except the people worship the right one. Thanks all.
There is a huge difference between having faith that the people who wrote your science book aren''t lying to you and having faith in something that there is 0 empirical evidence for. Also, what I have bolded in our quote is completely illogical. If you believe in the Christian God, you should also be worried about what is going to happen to you if the great Brahmin, flying spaghetti monster, or the Jewish Yahweh exist. By your logic at least.

EDIT: also, your bolded statement is based upon fear of the unknown rather then any logical reason.

If it doesn't hurt people let them have faith imo
give that guy a manual
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

For some reason I can't edit my post so I'll add this: I find the 10^164 number arbitrary because I have never seen anybody actually give a definitive number on this. I don't know how one could reliably calculate this; even the simplest physics problems are extremely hard to solve and this seems like an extremely hard problem rather than a simple problem.

Anyways, how would we explain that there's often organic compounds found on meteors? Did god place those there too? Or might it actually not be that hard for at least Carbon-Oxygen-Hydrogen connections to form?
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

The fact we are here and have not heavily mutated according to Darwinian theory is merely more proof. Don't you know that is part of this scientific conundrum, the fact we are here and so similar to other life. Also the fact you're accepting these enormous odds as chance makes the argument only stronger.

Also
But RNA is also incredibly complex and sensitive, and some experts are skeptical that it could have arisen spontaneously under the harsh conditions of the prebiotic world. Moreover, both RNA molecules and proteins must take the form of long, folded chains to do their catalytic work, and the early environment would seemingly have prevented strings of either nucleic acids or amino acids from getting long enough.

But first dive into this at ur uni. I followed a course from an evolutionary biologist from the Royal Society years back. It can be eye-opening... or not. btw. it's only the idea life came to Earth intact as a single cell lifeform, not that 'someone' created it here, but creationists could interpret it as such.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

But God created the universe!
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Radix_Lecti wrote:The fact we are here and have not heavily mutated according to Darwinian theory is merely more proof. Don't you know that is part of this scientific conundrum, the fact we are here and so similar to other life. Also the fact you're accepting these enormous odds as chance makes the argument only stronger.

Also
But RNA is also incredibly complex and sensitive, and some experts are skeptical that it could have arisen spontaneously under the harsh conditions of the prebiotic world. Moreover, both RNA molecules and proteins must take the form of long, folded chains to do their catalytic work, and the early environment would seemingly have prevented strings of either nucleic acids or amino acids from getting long enough.

But first dive into this at ur uni. I followed a course from an evolutionary biologist from the Royal Society years back. It can be eye-opening... or not. btw. it's only the idea life came to Earth intact as a single cell lifeform, not that 'someone' created it here, but creationists could interpret it as such.

If skepticism is a good argument, can we talk about how there are very very very extremely good reasons to be skeptical about god?
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

That could seem naive, but I feel that the life is too beautiful that this just can't be the result of some random mathematics. That's also a good argument @titumir saying that believing there is no god is actually a faith
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

momuuu wrote:The problem with the argument is that the source is some biased guy in a youtube video. Those numbers sound arbitrary.
Video is basically makes up a ridiculous concept of abiogenesis that has nothing to do with any legitimate theory the tries to wow you with big numbers and how complicated cells are.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Rikikipu wrote:That could seem naive, but I feel that the life is too beautiful that this just can't be the result of some random mathematics. That's also a good argument @titumir saying that believing there is no god is actually a faith
most intelligent people won’t make the claim that god doesn’t exist, they just don’t believe in one .
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

CS Lewish
No Flag ProjectW
Musketeer
ESO: ProjectW

Post by ProjectW »

gibson wrote:Looking backwards at the probability of something that happened and saying it couldn’t have happened this way because it has x probability is a horrible way of looking at things. Unlikely and improbable things happen every single second of every single day. Take a deck of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 unique cards and pick one. The probability of picking any card is 1/ whatever number I said above, and yet a card is still picked.

Wow, this. I've always thought about this but couldn't give an example/explain it, well said sir.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Jam wrote:
momuuu wrote:The problem with the argument is that the source is some biased guy in a youtube video. Those numbers sound arbitrary.
Video is basically makes up a ridiculous concept of abiogenesis that has nothing to do with any legitimate theory the tries to wow you with big numbers and how complicated cells are.

Well if you say this is just big numbers and this doesn't suggest an intelligent design you ought to suggest a way that we could have got here without a God.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

ProjectW wrote:
gibson wrote:Looking backwards at the probability of something that happened and saying it couldn’t have happened this way because it has x probability is a horrible way of looking at things. Unlikely and improbable things happen every single second of every single day. Take a deck of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 unique cards and pick one. The probability of picking any card is 1/ whatever number I said above, and yet a card is still picked.

Wow, this. I've always thought about this but couldn't give an example/explain it, well said sir.

This isn't the case of the probablility af a card being picked. The probablility of a card being picked is 1. This is talking about the probablility of a card being picked at all and proteins required for life forming in the first place.