RIP Turkey

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RIP Turkey

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Re: RIP Turkey

Post by jesus3 »

tbh I would be surprised if that referendum wasn't rigged
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

avcı
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I read what they were actually changing and in a sense it's just moving closer to what the american democracy is compared to many european democracies. It's blown up by media tbh.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i doubt it. it's like saying putin isnt a dictator lol. he's clearly usurping more and more power.
The President becomes both the head of state and head of government, with the power to appoint and sack ministers and VP. The president can issue decrees about executive. If legislation makes a law about the same topic that President issued an executive order, decree will become invalid and parliamentary law become valid.

Adaptation of several articles of the constitution with other changes, mainly transferring executive powers of cabinet to President
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

umeu wrote:i doubt it. it's like saying putin isnt a dictator lol. he's clearly usurping more and more power.
The President becomes both the head of state and head of government, with the power to appoint and sack ministers and VP. The president can issue decrees about executive. If legislation makes a law about the same topic that President issued an executive order, decree will become invalid and parliamentary law become valid.

Adaptation of several articles of the constitution with other changes, mainly transferring executive powers of cabinet to President

Especially as a german I am veeeery cautious and suspicious about those kind of decrees, europe experienced this more than one time. It's awfully similar to the "Ermächtigungsgesetz" in 1933
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The president can issue decrees about executive. If legislation makes a law about the same topic that President issued an executive order, decree will become invalid and parliamentary law become valid.

In the US, the president can issue executive orders but he cannot really bypass the Congress on the most important issues, on which laws need to be enacted.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

jesus3 wrote:
umeu wrote:i doubt it. it's like saying putin isnt a dictator lol. he's clearly usurping more and more power.

Especially as a german I am veeeery cautious and suspicious about those kind of decrees, europe experienced this more than one time. It's awfully similar to the "Ermächtigungsgesetz" in 1933

yea it is.

he's moving power with him as he changes function. the prime minister was previously the most powerful in the country, and the president was mostly ceremonial, when he no longer could be PM, he made sure he became president, and now he changed the presidency into the leader of the country, instead of the PM. in that sense, it's indeed becoming more american style, but saying it as if its a small and insignificant change is really understating it. Hitler indeed did something similar, transforming the mostly unimportant and ceremonial function of chancellor into the most important function of the state.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

I live in Turkey, it's really close and still arguable in law, there are some techinal problems yet it is practically done. Before Turkey was already done with governement, even with nay i dont think it would be better. This law only justificies the current situation. Rest in Peace, i want to live in abroad: my school had IB programme damn why i didn't join it :(
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

HUMMAN wrote:I live in Turkey, it's really close and still arguable in law, there are some techinal problems yet it is practically done. Before Turkey was already done with governement, even with nay i dont think it would be better. This law only justificies the current situation. Rest in Peace, i want to live in abroad: my school had IB programme damn why i didn't join it :(

careful what you say, Erdogan might accuse you of being a Gulenist!
Top quality poster.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Laurence Drake wrote:careful what you say, Erdogan might accuse you of being a Gulenist!

Thanks for your advice dude, but it is not that strict, it is true governement creates a "party country" which pritiorites their ideology in state instutions. Yet opposition is still respected by law and practically avaible in internet and limitedly on TV. So i'm still safe. Turkey is gonna be like Russia. Authoritarian, not dictatorial. (at least i hope so)
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

This is kind of similar to Brexit, in political terms: a very narrow majority makes a major change in the system, which ties everyone's fate for the foreseeable future.

There is one common thing though between the two: they are both a result of this new-found, inward-looking nationalism, basically a knee-jerk reaction to the uncertainty coming from global politics and economics. There is a trend in politics right now of devolution of power from a remote/abstract source of power to closer, local sources of power. It actually has to do with people's psyche refusing to accept external, political authority as much as they did in the past. It's a crisis of leadership, the very bases of what makes people listen to leaders are being put to test.

You might think "but right now the strong leaders paradigm is being reinforced, as more people are electing authoritarian leaders". I think this is a transitional phase and we'll see further deterioration in trust in any leaders at all, then next in line will be institutions. It very much depends on how successful these authoritarian/populistic leaders will be. If they are successful, things might stabilise at this level, if not they may progress to institutions too.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ye its strange that its not a 67% or even 76% majority required for this change, since its changing the constitution.