time travel, is it possible?

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

It is not possible and will never be possible to travel back to the past.

The reason is very simple: To travel to the 19th century, you have to bring the entire universe back to the exact stadium it was in during the 19th century. People forget that not only the earth and people have to change, but you have to change the ENTIRE universe back to its original state back then. And since there is no machine that can convert energy to work in a ratio of 100% you would need more energy than the universe has to achieve this.
Oh and also it violates the rule that the entropy ALWAYS increases no matter what you do. But bringing the universe back to a smaller state would significantly decrease the entropy which is simply not possible.
Oh and it also violates the rule of causality.
And last but not least the logical consequences are unsolvable. If I`d go back to the 19th century (remember, the ENTIRE universe goes back) I am dead immidiately cause I didnt exist back then. The moment I`d travel back I?d be gone or should I say, I am not there yet. Makes 0 sense.

"Travelling" to the future is another story. I always think that we are travelling to the future with a speed of 1 second per second, when you are right next to a heavy mass your time will go slower and therefore you "travel" to the future at a much higher rate (called the Lorentz factor). This is observable in the lab as well (google Myon and time dilatation).
No Flag bpdscolony123
Dragoon

Post by bpdscolony123 »

garja rules the entire universe,ask him for advice
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

there is another scientifically accurate film about time travel called primer, where they go back in the pat but make sure they do not come in contact with each other to avoid the time paradox
No Flag bpdscolony123
Dragoon

Post by bpdscolony123 »

paradox eats potato
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

Time travelling is impossible. If in the future humans would make time travelling possible we would already know by now because travelling back in time would alter the path a deterministic universe would have taken. Too many things are left unclear as to why nobody traveled back to our world today.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Quantum mechanics do not make sense in the world as we perceive it. They sort of make sense in the situations where they happen, its not really like phyisists dont understand that. Stuff like quantum tunneling just doesnt seem to apply on the world in a macroscopic scale. Honestly, things that special relativity predicts dont make any sense either, for example the ladder paradox.

blasdg wrote:It is not possible and will never be possible to travel back to the past.

The reason is very simple: To travel to the 19th century, you have to bring the entire universe back to the exact stadium it was in during the 19th century. People forget that not only the earth and people have to change, but you have to change the ENTIRE universe back to its original state back then. And since there is no machine that can convert energy to work in a ratio of 100% you would need more energy than the universe has to achieve this.
Oh and also it violates the rule that the entropy ALWAYS increases no matter what you do. But bringing the universe back to a smaller state would significantly decrease the entropy which is simply not possible.
And last but not least the logical consequences are unsolvable. If I`d go back to the 19th century (remember, the ENTIRE universe goes back) I am dead immidiately cause I didnt exist back then. The moment I`d travel back I?d be gone or should I say, I am not there yet. Makes 0 sense.

"Travelling" to the future is another story. I always think that we are travelling to the future with a speed of 1 second per second, when you are right next to a heavy mass your time will go slower and therefore you "travel" to the future at a much higher rate (called the Lorentz factor). This is observable in the lab as well (google Myon and time dilatation).

Travelling back in time is not as much rebuilding the universe back to where it was, but turning the flow of time the other way around. The sci-fi essence of time travel, where you suddenly warp to a different point in time, is seemingly impossible. It seems only possible to turn around the flow of time.

Some forms of time travel to the past are supposed to be allowed by the theory of general relativity though. But apart from the one that requires you to achieve a speed greater than light, I have not yet managed to make much sense of the others.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

blasdg wrote:It is not possible and will never be possible to travel back to the past.

Yeah. People tend to talk about traveling back in time as though the past is something that still exists in some sense, and paradoxes about going into the past and killing your parents seem to reflect the idea that a chain of cause and effect exists which connects points in time. As far as I can tell, we live in a dynamic present and the most we can do is affect our rate of change with respect to other reference frames.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yup well put, as always.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The unfortunate thing about this topic is that we are not going to solve the question. And if we are, I am going to claim that nobel prize.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Anti-matter particles move through time in the opposite direction to matter. So if you wanted to travel back in time, all you would need to do is find a way to transform yourself into an anti-matter being.

... :)
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

i like the "all you would need to do" :)
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
No Flag bpdscolony123
Dragoon

Post by bpdscolony123 »

i wanna be veni_vidi_vici one day,is that possible?
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

It only time travelling was possible. There'd be so much I'd want to change for my own personal benefit. Although, would things be different to how they are now?

I think I'd go back!
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

frycookofdoom wrote:Anti-matter particles move through time in the opposite direction to matter. So if you wanted to travel back in time, all you would need to do is find a way to transform yourself into an anti-matter being.

I am not sure if this is actually true. As far as I know, positrons behave very similair to electrons, albeit that they having an opposite charge.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

jerom wrote:Going to the past is probably not possible. I mean, if it would be possible, wouldn''t that mean that somewhere in the future we will discover it, which should mean that there should have been people from the future travelling to our times and other times, which hasnt quite happened yet. So it''s possible that mankind won''t discover time travel in our existence, or that it simply is not possible.

Honestly travelling to the past creates too many contradictions. Maybe it''d be possible to even travel to the very beginning then and disrupt that. I don''t think it would be possible in a world that makes a slight amount of sense.

Travelling to the future is surely possible. Isn''t that what general relativity dictates already (like what happened in interstellar)?
There could be a scenario that humans develop backwards time travel only 100 billion years from now, and it always very expensive so they have no reason to care about travelling to our time specifically when they have 100 billions of years of history to choose from.

To answer the paradoxes, there is a theory that if you do travel in time you would travel to an alternate universe that is identical to our own and sure you could do anything you wanted there and it wouldn''t affect our own.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

jerom wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Anti-matter particles move through time in the opposite direction to matter. So if you wanted to travel back in time, all you would need to do is find a way to transform yourself into an anti-matter being.

I am not sure if this is actually true. As far as I know, positrons behave very similair to electrons, albeit that they having an opposite charge.
Yes as far as I know too they behave the same, I would like to see a citation for that if its not made up :P
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

bpdscolony123 wrote:i wanna be veni_vidi_vici one day,is that possible?
You''d have to go back in time and impregnate his mother so she gives birth to a bpd/veni hybrid. That''s the closest you''re going to get

[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q"][/video].
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Time travelling into the past is impossible Imo. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, yet if I travel into the past and there is already one of me where does the matter for the second me come from? Or is it just rewinding time, in which case I would have no memories of the future, as it hasn't existed. Hot tub time machine 2 has some interesting things to say about time travel. The movie is complete shit but the way they try to twist time is interesting. Sort of
No Flag pounendo
Skirmisher

Post by pounendo »

If interpret as the movement in time as increase in entropy, then the elusiveness of time disappears, as time can be simply determined as matter spontaneously favors disorder over order, As entropy can never decrease for a given enclosed system, it's analogous to not being able to go back in time.

Using Einsteins equations, to travel back in time you have to be travelling faster then the speed of light, which is completely impossible. All current theories of today indicate no possibility of time travel into the past. The cool thing is that time travel into the future is possible, and if you get close enough to the speed of light relative to the velocity of the earth, you may come back to a barren waste land.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

gibson wrote:Time travelling into the past is impossible Imo. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, yet if I travel into the past and there is already one of me where does the matter for the second me come from? Or is it just rewinding time, in which case I would have no memories of the future, as it hasn''t existed. Hot tub time machine 2 has some interesting things to say about time travel. The movie is complete shit but the way they try to twist time is interesting. Sort of
Matter can be created and destroyed: E = mc^2.
If we think of the timeline as a film and the universe as deterministic (= the reality of the past, future and the now are all already given) , then the now is just one infinite small fraction of a part of reality that follows another infinite small fraction. Travelling back in time means now that there exists like a teleporter and the now (together with the person that travels time) are put back to a small fraction of the past. What about the people who didn''t travel back in time? Well their story just continues onward as if nothing happened.What about the time traveler? Well he also lives and changes the reality in the past. So now we got ourselves two "nows", two "storylines" simultaneously playing. The people who didn''t time travel will most likely never see "reality change" anyways, they are already ahead in the timeline. Now for the one that created a new reality, a new timeline: He will just follow that timeline and change the future. Time travelling to me seems only possible if you travel to a similar universe but in an earlier age/time. What if people in the future already did travel back to our time, changed reality and died and we never noticed anything because we are part of the "newly created timeline"? Or another argument against it being impossible: The universe is deterministic and we haven''t seen anybody from the future yet =>' means we never will be able to travel time.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

looool
France ramex12
Skirmisher

Post by ramex12 »

I think at this stage of our physics knowledge we cannot travel in time and that's all that matters, we can imagine all sorts of things including time travel but it's only pure imagination as long as no good scientific arguments come into play. So it can be interesting to wonder those kind of things, but any answer at this point in our science knowledge would be only speculations and imagination...
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

ramex12 wrote:I think at this stage of our physics knowledge we cannot travel in time and that''s all that matters, we can imagine all sorts of things including time travel but it''s only pure imagination as long as no good scientific arguments come into play. So it can be interesting to wonder those kind of things, but any answer at this point in our science knowledge would be only speculations and imagination...
The speculations aren''t based on thin air though. Einsteins theory of relativity (which is a pretty general theory about how most things in this universe work) does not forbid travelling back into time. So, if the theories are we know them today would all be correct, speculation about time travel maybe shouldn''t even be considered speculation but rather should be considered as hard science.