Does God exist?

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

Does God exist

Yes
38%
No
40%
He abandoned Aoe long ago
11%
There's a higher power
10%

Total votes: 89

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

jerom wrote:Id be very interested to see some actual reliable sources tbh. Not just an image.

According to the medium reliable wikipedia, 22.8% doesnt have a religion in the USA. Hard to call how many of those would answer no to that question though.

yes legends image is complete bullshit. 92% of Americans definitly do not believe in God.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Does God exist?

Post by momuuu »

[attachment id="1695"]
Attachments
NonesOnTheRise-full.pdf
(571.36 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

jerom wrote:[attachment id="1695"]

what is this? I can''t open it on my phone
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Does God exist?

Post by momuuu »

A pdf file of a full research on many aspects of religion in the usa

Interesting that you cant open it on your phone, since we have the same phone and I did just read it on mine xd
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

jerom wrote:A pdf file of a full research on many aspects of religion in the usa.

tl:Dr?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Does God exist?

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:
jerom wrote:A pdf file of a full research on many aspects of religion in the usa.
tl:Dr?

dunno, was hoping someone else would tl dr it. I skimmed through it myself and thought it looked very conclusive. Too tired to read it closely though.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

drlegend wrote:Harris'' survey is simply an online survey. Atheists are overrepresented on the Internet.

Jerome your survey is of religiosity and has nothing to do with belief in God.

everybody who lives in a first world country has access to the Internet...... Or was that your point?
France iNcog
Ninja

Does God exist?

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America saveyourskill
Skirmisher

Does God exist?

Post by saveyourskill »

Pretty sure Garja exists.
Got Badger Milk?
No Flag cupofcoffee
Crossbow

Does God exist?

Post by cupofcoffee »

The reason for the decline of religiosity these days is pretty simple to be honest. Most of us are, fortunately, part of the first world, meaning that our life is mainly dominated by "luxury problems". None of us has ever experienced any sort of life threatening circumstances such as starvation or extreme poverty in general.
As soon as the first humanoid apes started to show some kind of religiosity, believing in something beyond rationality, marks the start of humanity, if you like i or not. It's a very distinct attitude that makes us distinguishable from all the the other animals on this planet.
So where was the necessity for these people to believe in a deity? In contrast to our daily life, theirs' was dependent on the the natural circumstances around them. Circumstances they had no control over, like a very cold winter, stormy weather, or sickness. Things that seem to be minor issues for us now, but back in the day those lead to a very low life expectation. And peoole were wondering if a hard, dispensable life on earth is all to expect. Of course, they were more than happy to believe in a world beyond this one, where they would be guaranteed a place if they behaved morally on earth.

To finally come to a conclusion: nowadays, we got all we want, there is simply no need to believe in God, since we are so convinced to be in control of the circumstances around us.
No Flag cupofcoffee
Crossbow

Does God exist?

Post by cupofcoffee »

I am not generalizing, just trying to explain the decline of religiosity in modern society, which in fact cannot be denied. My thesis also explains why in countries, that are considered to be part of the third world, spirituality still plays a major role. I might add that the level of education is pretty important in that regard, too. Laplace once said that he had no need for God in his formula, which was essential for the enlightenment movement. But still, only because our telescopes cannot detect God, doesn't mean that he doesn't exsist.
No Flag cupofcoffee
Crossbow

Does God exist?

Post by cupofcoffee »

There are certain levels of "bad" circumstances, too. And I think we agree on the fact that there is a difference between the question how do I feed my family in a conuntry without any social securities and how do I feed my family after I've lost my job in a country with social securities.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Does God exist?

Post by momuuu »

drlegend wrote:
incog wrote:Meh, I dont know.

Im probably registered as a Catholic for example, as are my parents. But were all Atheist. Lots of people sign up for it but dont actually believe.

A lot of people are nonreligious these days, but almost all believe in spirituality in one way or another. The kind of Dawkinsian lack of belief in the supernatural (humans are animals, everything is explained by the scientific method, no spirits, no miracles, etc.) is shared by less than 5% of the population and probably much less than that if you exclude edgy teenagers and college-age kids. Even European countries with the highest rates of nonreligiosity dont see this kind of nonbelief held by a majority of people.

interesting. About ~70% of the people I know dont believe in a god related to religion, and like ~30% believe in nothing at all.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Does God exist?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:Not really. Even people in rich environments can have it bad without spirituality. If you look at the state of a lot of people nowadays, you''ll see they are very miserable despite living in unprecedented material comfort. Spirituality has nothing to do with whether the material world is easy or difficult. You think having food and AC somehow turns a depressed hopeless person into a happy and fulfilled individual? That is true for a rat perhaps, but humans are different.
Lol cool story dragon.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Does God exist?

Post by momuuu »

drlegend wrote:
cupofcoffee wrote:I am not generalizing, just trying to explain the decline of religiosity in modern society, which in fact cannot be denied. My thesis also explains why in countries, that are considered to be part of the third world, spirituality still plays a major role. I might add that the level of education is pretty important in that regard, too. Laplace once said that he had no need for God in his formula, which was essential for the enlightenment movement. But still, only because our telescopes cannot detect God, doesnt mean that he doesnt exsist.
Nah Im pretty sure the decline of religiosity is due to a combination of people being socially pressured into avoiding religion (its just not "cool") and spiritual people preferring a personal relationship with God rather than following a churchs rules and guidelines.

jerom wrote:interesting. About ~70% of the people I know dont believe in a god related to religion, and like ~30% believe in nothing at all.
Could be they believe in God but dont want to admit or talk about it, or it could be that you simply self-segregate along with other atheists and then project your social groups beliefs onto the rest of the population.

Not really though, some of my best friends are strong believers, some are strong atheists. It could be that the male, young, above average educated, living in a large city population just drops below the 40% religious. Thatd make sense given the link with the Dutch statistics that I posted earlier.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Does God exist?

Post by momuuu »

drlegend wrote:Indeed, like I said, people who are young and live in urban areas have probably been brought up in an age when religion is uncool and relatively discouraged. Just look at how most people here react to any utterance of belief in the supernatural.
Disagree. I was brought up with the idea that I should, at a later stage in my life, choose to believe in god or not myself. My parents never told me there is no god, or that there is a god, they never took me to church nor did they try to convince me that god didnt exist. They read me the children''s bible when I was young. Shortly after that, I decided that I didn''t believe in god, after which my dad told me he didnt either and my mom told me she wasn''t sure. I was not discouraged in any way.

That''s interesting because I think it''s the otehr way around. In urban areas religion is less encouraged than it is in small cities or neighboorhoods, where everyone and his mother goes to church and religion is an important part of the community. That''s where you become almost an outcast for not believing in god, and are discouraged to do so.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

jerom wrote:
drlegend wrote:A lot of people are nonreligious these days, but almost all believe in spirituality in one way or another. The kind of Dawkinsian lack of belief in the supernatural (humans are animals, everything is explained by the scientific method, no spirits, no miracles, etc.) is shared by less than 5% of the population and probably much less than that if you exclude edgy teenagers and college-age kids. Even European countries with the highest rates of nonreligiosity dont see this kind of nonbelief held by a majority of people.
interesting. About ~70% of the people I know dont believe in a god related to religion, and like ~30% believe in nothing at all.

interestingly enough living in the bible belt I would say among the purple I know the numbers are very similar. Probably about 70% are non religious and about half of them would say they just flat out dont believe God exists. Thats why I dont dont buy it when dragon says less then 5% of people are atheist because I live in the fucking bible belt and more people are atheist than that lol
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Does God exist?

Post by _venox_ »

This is an interesting turn of events... What about those who aren't religious but do believe in (a) God(s)? How could you e.g. believe in the christian God when you aren't religious?
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

drlegend wrote:
gibson wrote:interestingly enough living in the bible belt I would say among the purple I know the numbers are very similar. Probably about 70% are non religious and about half of them would say they just flat out dont believe God exists. Thats why I dont dont buy it when dragon says less then 5% of people are atheist because I live in the fucking bible belt and more people are atheist than that lol
I have no interest in asking you personal questions, but Im sure you dont live in the rural South, so you should stop considering the major cities, which are cesspools of leftism and atheism, as representative of the region. Also, young people are a small minority and arent representative of the population.

I live in a city of about 200k,which isnt a major city by a long shot. Also, young people are the most important. The beliefs of the young people represent what the world is going to believe in 50 years, as the young people are gonna have children, and their beliefs are going to influence their children, than the children will have children etc.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Does God exist?

Post by momuuu »

drlegend wrote:
jerom wrote:Disagree. I was brought up with the idea that I should, at a later stage in my life, choose to believe in god or not myself. My parents never told me there is no god, or that there is a god, they never took me to church nor did they try to convince me that god didnt exist. They read me the childrens bible when I was young. Shortly after that, I decided that I didnt believe in god, after which my dad told me he didnt either and my mom told me she wasnt sure. I was not discouraged in any way.

Thats interesting because I think its the otehr way around. In urban areas religion is less encouraged than it is in small cities or neighboorhoods, where everyone and his mother goes to church and religion is an important part of the community. Thats where you become almost an outcast for not believing in god, and are discouraged to do so.
Parents are not the only influence on an individuals life. Your friends, movies and TV shows, news, etc. all could be more nonreligious than religious. It just seems "natural" to be nonreligious if you are a young urban guy, just as its "natural" to be Christian in 16th century Germany. You gotta stay "cool" and preserve your reputation among your peers as a logical smart guy or you could be thought of as one of those low-class weirdos who think snakes can talk or whatever.
I became an atheist before I knew about other people in my environment.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Does God exist?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:Indeed, like I said, people who are young and live in urban areas have probably been brought up in an age when religion is uncool and relatively discouraged. Just look at how most people here react to any utterance of belief in the supernatural. If it isn''t "cool" most young people will want nothing to do with it.
Religion is uncool and discouraged and favourability ratings for atheists are the lowest among all religious groups, and proselytizing atheists like Richard Dawkins are laughing stocks.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

The beliefs of people living in cities don''t count because they''re wrong. At least their godlessness keeps them trendy and in line with Zionist conspiracy of anti-religion being propagated by the liberal media, which by the way is largely owned by conservative business forces. Glad I''m not one of those socially stigmatized religious outcasts' if I hadn''t sworn my faith in The God Delusion in front of my family, I would''ve been disowned. Thank God!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Does God exist?

Post by Goodspeed »

Relatively discouraged, mind you.
As in people aren't being brainwashed as much...
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

drlegend wrote:
gibson wrote: I live in a city of about 200k,which isnt a major city by a long shot. Also, young people are the most important. The beliefs of the young people represent what the world is going to believe in 50 years, as the young people are gonna have children, and their beliefs are going to influence their children, than the children will have children etc.
Not really. Young people throughout history were known for the wrongness of their opinions. As people get older they become more conservative and much more spiritual.

And if your town is one of the big four then Im afraid its just another leftist city and not representative of the rest of the region.

Im sure that youre a troll now
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Does God exist?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

gibson wrote:
drlegend wrote:Not really. Young people throughout history were known for the wrongness of their opinions. As people get older they become more conservative and much more spiritual.

And if your town is one of the big four then Im afraid its just another leftist city and not representative of the rest of the region.
Im sure that youre a troll now
Nah, were the ones who are trolling since we keep calling him out on his prejudices, and refuse to accept what are clearly the views of the majority and therefore objectively right. (Except non-Westerners, they do not deserve to be considered due to their inferior culture).
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Does God exist?

Post by gibson »

frycookofdoom wrote:
gibson wrote:Im sure that youre a troll now
Nah, were the ones who are trolling since we keep calling him out on his prejudices, and refuse to accept what are clearly the views of the majority and therefore objectively right. (Except non-Westerners, they do not deserve to be considered due to their inferior culture).

funny because hes actually arguing that his views are that of the vast majority and therefor right..... Interesting that belief isnt enough to make something true otherwise the earth would be flat