NASA announcement about Mars

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 70051.html

The conference will start in half an hour. Maybe liquid water was found?

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Well, you are quite good at predicting. Not that exciting of a discovery to be honest. There are many more interesting discoveries being made weekly that have much more significance than this one imo.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Some speculate that, given the presence of liquid water, certain molecules and the proper amount of energy, that life will arise as a natural progression of the physical and chemical processes found everywhere in the universe. Others think that life may be exceedingly rare or even unique to Earth, occurring as the result of an almost infinitesimally small combination of events.

Life occurs everywhere on this planet. We have found life growing in rocks thousands of kilometers deep, in hypersaline environments and in boiling-hot springs. If liquid water exists on Mars and life ever arose there, then there is a good chance that it still exists on the planet. The presence of liquid water also would be an advantage in the human exploration and possible colonization of Mars.

In my opinion, this will be very important data indeed.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The chance that there is life on mars is minimal. Mars doesn't have an electromagnetic field or thick atmosphere to protect life against radiation. You know where we don't really find life? In a nuclear reactor.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

jerom wrote:The chance that there is life on mars is minimal. Mars doesn''t have an electromagnetic field or thick atmosphere to protect life against radiation. You know where we don''t really find life? In a nuclear reactor.
au contraire

http://enenews.com/senior-adviser-myste ... g-for-food

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiotrophic_fungus
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

That is amazing. Still though, solar storms and such probably prevent the developement of life. But Mars probably could have developed life in an earlier stadium I guess. Still don't find it an interesting discovery to be honest.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

jerom wrote:That is amazing. Still though, solar storms and such probably prevent the developement of life.
Perhaps just the opposite. Most biologists speculate that life arose in a high-energy, reducing environment.

Still don''t find it an interesting discovery to be honest.

No problem. Different interests help keep things interesting.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

jerom wrote:The chance that there is life on mars is minimal. Mars doesn''t have an electromagnetic field or thick atmosphere to protect life against radiation. You know where we don''t really find life? In a nuclear reactor.
The life could be sheltered deep underground.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

the moon of saturn, titan is actually covered with ammonia ice and scientists believe underneath it may be water and life forms
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I've major doubts about anything NASA announces. I'll tell you why. NASA is like a big gathering of people who want their childhood stories to become true.

Spacesuits for common people and space travel for ordinary folks, like in Star Wars? You got it! We're working on it.
Mysterious stuff on other planets (aliens, alien life, etc)? We're working on it!

But if you scratch behind this "adult kid" mentality you find out that they are actually motivated by much more ordinary things. In the last few years, their budget has been cut significantly, which made them even more desperate to organise PR events to promote these kiddie stories which they are about to prove true! Some time ago they discovered some rocks which look like a tool! Guess what, if you check some rocks from Mars with a microscope, they discovered some formations which look like worms! Wow, what if there was once life on Mars! Just because some dust happened to take the shape of a worm, hey, that doesn't mean it couldn't be related to some ancient lifeform. Oh, also we saw some dust on Mars which could have only been created by volcanic activity. You know what that means... It means the core of the planet is not dead. So maybe we can re-kindle it and establish a magnetic field and, so, terraform Mars!

They're always trying to get the public behind them with these kiddie stories, because politicians already know their game and just cut their budget.

The only good thing NASA did was a by-product: lots of new technologies were brought about by this continuous agitation, which later filtered through consumer products. So, they did have a positive impact, but it was not quite what their main purpose was.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

metis wrote:
jerom wrote:That is amazing. Still though, solar storms and such probably prevent the developement of life.
Perhaps just the opposite. Most biologists speculate that life arose in a high-energy, reducing environment.

Still dont find it an interesting discovery to be honest.
No problem. Different interests help keep things interesting.

Its not regarding my interest, because I do have interest in this field, I just think the discovery isnt major. I dont know why they make so much fuss about it tbh. I mean, if radiation/temperature isnt a problem for life, then no streaming water shouldnt be either. Besides, its not even that surprising that there is streaming water on mars (the OP even predicted it).

dolan wrote:Ive major doubts about anything NASA announces. Ill tell you why. NASA is like a big gathering of people who want their childhood stories to become true.

Spacesuits for common people and space travel for ordinary folks, like in Star Wars? You got it! Were working on it.
Mysterious stuff on other planets (aliens, alien life, etc)? Were working on it!

But if you scratch behind this "adult kid" mentality you find out that they are actually motivated by much more ordinary things. In the last few years, their budget has been cut significantly, which made them even more desperate to organise PR events to promote these kiddie stories which they are about to prove true! Some time ago they discovered some rocks which look like a tool! Guess what, if you check some rocks from Mars with a microscope, they discovered some formations which look like worms! Wow, what if there was once life on Mars! Just because some dust happened to take the shape of a worm, hey, that doesnt mean it couldnt be related to some ancient lifeform. Oh, also we saw some dust on Mars which could have only been created by volcanic activity. You know what that means... It means the core of the planet is not dead. So maybe we can re-kindle it and establish a magnetic field and, so, terraform Mars!

Theyre always trying to get the public behind them with these kiddie stories, because politicians already know their game and just cut their budget.

The only good thing NASA did was a by-product: lots of new technologies were brought about by this emulation, which later filtered through consumer products. So, they did have a positive impact, but it was not quite what their main
NASA is mostly a scientific institution that does great discoveries regarding astronomy lol. This whole post is honestly ridiculous. Did you for example know that nasa (and the esa) made the hubble space telescope? That thing has discovered tons of major things of major influence. To fully understand the world, we have to look at space, because some predicted phenomena can?t be found on earth. NASA is one of the leading organisations when it comes to research and observation of space. The alien life stuff is very relevant aswell, given the Fermi paradox. So I don?t know how you came to this conclusion but it cant have been the result of accurate research.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That thing has discovered tons of major things of major influence. To fully understand the world, we have to look at space, because some predicted phenomena can?t be found on earth.
Such as?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

dolan wrote:
That thing has discovered tons of major things of major influence. To fully understand the world, we have to look at space, because some predicted phenomena can?t be found on earth.
Such as?
Almost the entire map of stars we have has been discovered by telescopes made by NASA. Using this data, we can understand how stars work and have detected the predicted white dwarfs, supernova''s, neutron stars and even black holes. This data is very important to support physics theories with observations, which otherwise cannot be done. Hubble''s law, the cosmic microwave background radiation, supernovae etc are all extremely important phenomena that demand to be detected. Just read about the hubble telescope: http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/breakthroughs/

Seriously, because you think astronomy is about aliens doesn''t mean it''s about aliens. Cosmology in particular is an extremely important subject that is directly related to our entire understanding of the universe. Measurements to confirm the big bang, and discover what happened in the early stages of the universe are vital to solve the physics mysteries in this world.

Now please tell me again that NASA is useless.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

NASA provides a great deal of information that is used daily by people in a great many fields to assess situations and solve problems right here on earth. When I was teaching environmental science and ecology I made good use of their EarthData site.

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

jerom wrote:Now please tell me again that NASA is useless.
It''s not useless. It does its job as a space agency well, just as ESA does for the EU.

The problem is when NASA is trying to force the US govt to give them more money just because they think their mission is to make sure

[img]http://i.imgur.com/UrBgGae.jpg[/img]
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

dolan wrote:
Its not useless. It does its job as a space agency well, just as ESA does for the EU.

The problem is when NASA is trying to force the US govt to give them more money just because they think their mission is to make sure

[img]http://i.imgur.com/UrBgGae.jpg[/img]
I dont think anyone at nasa thinks we can, in the short term, travel to outside of the solar system right now. I they spend most of their budget on extremely important research (missions). Launching a new telescope or something might seem just spectacular, but it is really important for the developement of physics, which is inherently connected to the developement of us as a species.
No Flag v1pus
Skirmisher

Post by v1pus »

I love space and any "real discovery" is amazing. Just the size alone blows my mind.

We were born on this planet, not meant to die on it!
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

v1pus wrote:We were born on this planet, not meant to die on it!
I think I got some bad news for you :P
Howdah

Post by Metis »

NASA has lost three crews either exploring or preparing to explore space.
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

Post by Method_man714 »

Why spend millions on a slim chance of finding life on some distant planet, when this one needs all the time and available money.
hazzarov: can u fk off callen
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Because the fermi paradox makes it a very relevant question where all the other life is. Plus the majority of nasa is just astronomy/cosmology related research. Those topics are somewhat more complicated, so maybe people read/remember less of it.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

From what we know of the universe, much of it coming from NASA and scientist using NASA data, we know that occasionally mass-extinction or even plant-killing events occur. If humans continue to increase their knowledge and understanding, it may be possible for the species to survive one of these events. If we just sit here on earth and dwell on our own problems this will never happen.

Besides, some of us just need to explore:

http://www.lexxdomain.com/audio/brigadoom03.mp3
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

dolan wrote:
Its not useless. It does its job as a space agency well, just as ESA does for the EU.

[img style="max-width:100%'" src="http://i.imgur.com/UrBgGae.jpg" alt=""]
Youre right dragon, we should be spending our money on bombing the Iraqis rather than on useless adventures into dead, empty space.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

We gotta surf those liquid methane ocean waves, yo.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Given that the mission to mars wont occur for another decade and a half, it is useless to speculate until you get physical proof...

But yea liquid salt water is still better than cold rocks...
Error 404: Signature not found