The best self

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

The best self

Post by evilcheadar »

jerom wrote:I just meant like, you have kids with obesity or just reduced motorical skills or very bad stamina. Can they do sports?

I have a friend for example who has some heart condition and isnt really good at sports because of that. Over here he was able to enjoy sports though, and compete in lower leagues. Would that be possible in murica?
Esports
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag illmatic
Dragoon

The best self

Post by illmatic »

jerom wrote:I just meant like, you have kids with obesity or just reduced motorical skills or very bad stamina. Can they do sports?

I have a friend for example who has some heart condition and isnt really good at sports because of that. Over here he was able to enjoy sports though, and compete in lower leagues. Would that be possible in murica?

anyone can play football but they''d get made fun of if they were obese or sucked. not very "enjoyable" lol. track and XC anyone can make it but you sure as hell won''t be in the invitationals or states. again, not too fun. soccer there''s tryouts with lots of mandatory running, probly won''t make it. point is he COULD play some sports it''s just a matter of how long he can stand the harrassment.
I never brag how real I keep it, cause it's the best secret
United States of America Metis
Howdah

The best self

Post by Metis »

In America, college (and to a lesser extent, high school) sports have become such big money makers that you pretty much need to show signs that you are going to be able to play at a professional level to even be considered for a varsity team. However, there still are non-varsity teams. My brother was pretty good in high school basketball but neither good enough nor freakishly tall enough to be considered for a college varsity team. However, he still was pretty good so he joined an intramural team. After college, he still enjoyed playing basketball so he joined a local "town team." Most communities in America have semi-organized sports leagues where anyone with a desire to play can always find a team.
No Flag illmatic
Dragoon

The best self

Post by illmatic »

that's irrelevant. if you suck or are physically disabled not too many people would like you on their team.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

The best self

Post by gibson »

Yea we have recreational leagues for all ages.
Howdah

The best self

Post by Metis »

If you are sick or injured then you shouldn't play sports if they are going to harm you. If you are disabled, well there many disabled leagues, although with modern prosthetic some amputees, etc. are playing on regular teams. There are other sports too that nearly anyone can do, like shooting, archery and swimming.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

The best self

Post by gibson »

illmatic wrote:that''s irrelevant. if you suck or are physically disabled not too many people would like you on their team.

you can be a great player and not make a d1 college team. This is why I''m confident you''re lying because you have absolutely no idea how good an athlete you have to be to play a major (basketball, football and to a certain extent baseball) d1 sport. You literally have to be genetically top .1% of humans. @metis Yea intermural sports are really fun, and any decent sized town will have adult req leagues for at least soft ball and basketball, maybe more sports depending on the location and size.
Howdah

The best self

Post by Metis »

gibson wrote:You literally have to be genetically top .1% of humans.
Right, you pretty much have to be a genetic superman to be considered to play football or basketball at a major university nowadays. Those of us in the other 99% of the bell curve have to do other things.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

The best self

Post by Dolan »

In the end, those are just modern-day gladiators playing for the masses' entertainment.
The masses need to be kept busy with work and some entertainment when they get home.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

The best self

Post by thebritish »

metis wrote:I don''t think that if I had worked harder and applied myself to becoming as good as possible at a single thing that I would have accomplished more. In fact, I am pretty sure that I would have accomplished less. Perhaps I''d have a bit more money now but I don''t think so. I''ve noticed that people tend to spend according to their income and most of that money just ends up going to someone else. I do know would have not learned and experienced all the things I did had I entered one profession and stuck to it.

As for recreation, I''ve never much been concerned about it. I''ve just worked at jobs that allowed me do what I''d be doing on a vacation anyway. For instance, I''ve always liked to hike, camp, hunt, fish, scuba dive and boat' these things are about 80% of the job description of a field biologist.
i think that i have read this post in other topic too... (rofl)
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

The best self

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

dolan wrote:In the end, those are just modern-day gladiators playing for the masses'' entertainment.
The masses need to be kept busy with work and some entertainment when they get home.

Thankfully we have Dear Leader to provide for our exalted entertainment.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

The best self

Post by gibson »

illmatic wrote:

anyone can play football but theyd get made fun of if they were obese or sucked. not very "enjoyable" lol.

the more bullshit you post, the more Im sure you have never played a varsity sport. If you had, you would know that the statement you just made is wrong in just about every way possible.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

The best self

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

gibson wrote:
illmatic wrote:anyone can play football but theyd get made fun of if they were obese or sucked. not very "enjoyable" lol.
the more bullshit you post, the more Im sure you have never played a varsity sport. If you had, you would know that the statement you just made is wrong in just about every way possible.

Agreed, the people in sports teams are perhaps the most friendly and welcoming ones youll ever meet.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

The best self

Post by gibson »

frycookofdoom wrote:
gibson wrote:the more bullshit you post, the more Im sure you have never played a varsity sport. If you had, you would know that the statement you just made is wrong in just about every way possible.
Agreed, the people in sports teams are perhaps the most friendly and welcoming ones youll ever meet.

sarcasm much?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

The best self

Post by evilcheadar »

Though I've never been the guy who sucks on a sports team I don't really witness much making fun of those who do. They generally respect you for coming out and trying. The animosity seems to come in when that person who sucks obviously isn't trying hard, coming to practice, Ect
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

The best self

Post by gibson »

evilcheadar wrote:Though I''ve never been the guy who sucks on a sports team I don''t really witness much making fun of those who do. They generally respect you for coming out and trying. The animosity seems to come in when that person who sucks obviously isn''t trying hard, coming to practice, Ect

Yea if you''re on a sports team people on that team don''t make fun of you because of you''re skill level. They''re your brothers man. Cliques form based on friendship, not skill level. On my varsity basketball team, me and two other starters were good friends with the kid at the end of the bench, while the kid we didn''t like was the starting point guard. But we still didn''t make fun of him lol.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

The best self

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

gibson wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Agreed, the people in sports teams are perhaps the most friendly and welcoming ones youll ever meet.
sarcasm much?
haha yeah lol fuck sports the only sports I need is esports
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

The best self

Post by Method_man714 »

It's only the ultra competitive ones that takes the piss, and that's coming from an overall competitive person
hazzarov: can u fk off callen
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

The best self

Post by momuuu »

I played soccer for quite a bit and I am pretty sure 'friendly' is a word that hardly relates to soccer games.
Howdah

The best self

Post by Metis »

What I mostly remember about football is that I generally got the crap knocked out of me in practice by the 200-pound starters on the opposite skirmish team. However, all those knock downs helped give me the fortitude I needed a couple of years later in military training.

Speaking of military training, I don't know how it is today but those obstacles on the confidence course really did give you confidence in your ability to do things that you never thought you could. The one that gave me the epiphany that I could do anything I set my mind to was this one:

[img]http://media.dma.mil/2007/Sep/24/175900/640/360/0/070924-M-0000A-019.jpg[/img]

Note how the rungs get farther apart as you go up the thing. The last rung requires a jump, at 30 ft in the air, to climb over the top. Today, I think that they have safety pads below but in my day it was only sand. We actually had one guy fall, but it didn't do him any permanent damage.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

The best self

Post by momuuu »

Im very scared of heights. I remember having to do that, but with steps 30 centimeters apart and up to 2 meters when I was younger. I literally almost cried, but my teacher did not realize that the fear prevented me from doing what he wanted me to do, and he thought he could help me get over it by pushing me (in the non literal sense of the word). It was atrocious, I still remember that terrible feeling haha. I don't know when, but I am pretty sure I have had an traumatizing experience when I was young regarding heights, as I am unnaturally afraid of them.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

The best self

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson is such a troll rofl.
No Flag illmatic
Dragoon

The best self

Post by illmatic »

gibson wrote:
illmatic wrote:anyone can play football but theyd get made fun of if they were obese or sucked. not very "enjoyable" lol.

youre fucking delusional if you think people dont get made fun of for that. some might get accepted but nnot all.
No Flag illmatic
Dragoon

The best self

Post by illmatic »

and tbh i couldn't give a shit if you think what i'm posting is bullshit. i wouldn't take the time to lie to some to some random kid on the internet who has nothing better to do than attack people.
Howdah

The best self

Post by Metis »

Both Gibson and illmatic are partially right and partially wrong in their statements. The main problem lies with the improper use of universals. Also, I think that there may be some confusion here with a word that's use to denote two different sports.

Not everyone can play football, especially not American football. And while some people who are obese or not naturally talented might get made fun of, it's not universal that they will.

That said, the gaming world is full of people who would rather just tell someone that they suck rather than give them constructive criticism. I'm told that I suck all the time, there have even been people who have created usernames just to remind me that I suck.

Metis_Sucks: i dont understand you stupid you could be

Stephennn: Always so negative. Take a chill pill dude.

http://forum.agecommunity.com/forums/pe ... spx#891158