Starcraftz thread

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
France iNcog
Ninja

Starcraftz thread

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Starcraftz thread

Post by momuuu »

I haven't seen GSL games yet, and I badly want to not be spoilerinod, so I wont visit this thread after I have seen those games from here on.

Starcraft is fun to watch, but I find it hard to be motivated to watch a lot of the games, because I don't play anymore. I used to play, but you have to have a lot of free time to play it and be decent. The game isn't fun as a semi-casual player, and I like to play some games semi-casual. I tryhard at aoe and guitar. I'm in doubt whether I will buy LotV. The campaigns are good, but not worth the money on itself. Still in doubt as I said.

Also, maru is awesome, but so is innovation. My two favorite players after mvp.
United States of America sc
Dragoon
ESO: _ZOMBIE_

Starcraftz thread

Post by sc »

tried playing in 2009 but iirc there isnt any clear indication which units counter other units, so i CBA and quit :3

its def fun to watch though. i'm watchin some old vods of maru getting rekt by rain right nao
VIRTZN and CM1993 are my friends and they never cheat. everyone should add them. kappa
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Starcraftz thread

Post by MCJim »

I still want to learn Sc2! I think it's a great game. Unfortunately it takes ages to become as good as I'm in AoE3. So my mood is not that great...
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France iNcog
Ninja

Starcraftz thread

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Starcraftz thread

Post by gibson »

jerom wrote:I haven''t seen GSL games yet, and I badly want to not be spoilerinod, so I wont visit this thread after I have seen those games from here on.

Starcraft is fun to watch, but I find it hard to be motivated to watch a lot of the games, because I don''t play anymore. I used to play, but you have to have a lot of free time to play it and be decent. The game isn''t fun as a semi-casual player, and I like to play some games semi-casual. I tryhard at aoe and guitar. I''m in doubt whether I will buy LotV. The campaigns are good, but not worth the money on itself. Still in doubt as I said.

Also, maru is awesome, but so is innovation. My two favorite players after mvp.

I watched a short documentary about mvp and the rest of his team. Shits insane, they all live together and actual coaches and stuff.
France iNcog
Ninja

Starcraftz thread

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Starcraftz thread

Post by blackwidow »

incog wrote:Let''s just discuss starcraft in this thread. There are a lot of us which play or watch that anyway.

So let''s start.

Maru >' all?!?! best player in the world and best terran in the world at the same time? he''s so good.
Inno >' Maru imo
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Starcraftz thread

Post by gibson »

incog wrote:sounds old school, mvp doesn''t play anymore afaik

but yeah that''s exactly how it is in korea

team houses, coaches who ask players to train for specific match ups and styles, 12 hours / day of practice. it''s rts boot camp. they''re the top for a reason

Yea it was five years ago or so. They literally had their whole day scheduled out..... Eating, exercise, playing....
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Starcraftz thread

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

i dont find star craft as fun to play, but i would rather watch a pro match up of it than watch AOE. pretty cool game, but honestly it seems like its all the same 3, i like the variety of 13 civs AOE offers to play even though they are somewhat more similar. I guess i always root for zerg.
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

Starcraftz thread

Post by Method_man714 »

mcjim wrote:I still want to learn Sc2! I think it''s a great game. Unfortunately it takes ages to become as good as I''m in AoE3. So my mood is not that great...

I wouldn''t flatter yourself too much
hazzarov: can u fk off callen
Lancer

Starcraftz thread

Post by Method_man714 »

There seems to be a shift recently, less Koreans making it to finals and more Europeans breaking through, Protoss still dominate though, and even more so in lotv it seems
France iNcog
Ninja

Starcraftz thread

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Starcraftz thread

Post by momuuu »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:i dont find star craft as fun to play, but i would rather watch a pro match up of it than watch AOE. pretty cool game, but honestly it seems like its all the same 3, i like the variety of 13 civs AOE offers to play even though they are somewhat more similar. I guess i always root for zerg.
The game is awesome if you are really skilled. The game gets annoying if you can''t do what you want to do. In aoe, you can be amazing at micro and a good player, amazing at macro and be decent or amazing at strategy and be pretty-really good aswell. In sc2, strategy is almost completely useless because you cant do strategy if you dont have really good micro and macro. It''s so frustrating to play that game if you aren''t that fast, and I''m not even that slow of a player.

It''s at the very least impossible to play sc2 occasionally. You can only play it full time imo.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Starcraftz thread

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Im sure it is a great game, its why I watch pro games, It just seems like the units die so fast its harder to implement counters, maybe one day when they can interface it to our thoughts and we can contol everything with our imaginations. I myself am not that competitive I'm a long haired hippy type, but I am an AOE fan, have been since the original and I put my command and conquer to rest. It was pretty revolutionary then even though archaic compared to Aoe3. I loved making centurions. To me its the funnest game franchise there is and is the only game I play now that I've grown out of super NES, nintendo 64 and xbox. (well to be fair my sister pawned my nes when I was in college- i miss u f zero! and x box is only fun if you got a room full of friends so I sold it at a yard sale) I would actually really like to see a new medieval version with aoe3 features and some other additional features as its the time frame I prefer.but I love the uniqueness of each civ in aoe3. If i had the money I would buy the rights to the game and hire people who know how to code it.
Last edited by howlingwolfpaw on 08 Oct 2015, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added more
Lancer

Starcraftz thread

Post by Method_man714 »

Starcraft. Is a lot harder than aoe, with such small timing windows and little margin for error. However personally I feel aoe is slightly more fun to play, one reason being how frustrating sc2 is, like forgetting to build turrets and losing your whole scv line to an oracle or Dts
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon

Starcraftz thread

Post by blackwidow »

nepenthes714 wrote:Starcraft. Is a lot harder than aoe, with such small timing windows and little margin for error. However personally I feel aoe is slightly more fun to play, one reason being how frustrating sc2 is, like forgetting to build turrets and losing your whole scv line to an oracle or Dts
I''m actually not so sure about this, it''s the same in aoe really, for example: forgetting to herd and losing all those vills. (pretty much the same thing as forgetting to build turrets)
And that sc2 has little margin for error is also the same in aoe3, when played at a high level.

As with small timing windows you''re probably right. For example in sc: you need to attack before a third colossus is up. (meaning that sc2 has way more valuable units (more expensive and better on their own) than in aoe3.
But for example in aoe3: you need to age at exactly at ... so you can hold the .. timing.

So I don''t think sc2 is harder when it comes to that, I just think it''s really fast paced so that micro and macro gets really hard the higher rank you get.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Starcraftz thread

Post by momuuu »

sc2: you didnt look at your army for 5 seconds, all your marines ripped to banelings
aoe3: you didnt look at your army for 5 seconds, you lost 10 units and can now retreat and hope you can come back from that.
Lancer

Starcraftz thread

Post by Method_man714 »

blackwidow wrote:
nepenthes714 wrote:Starcraft. Is a lot harder than aoe, with such small timing windows and little margin for error. However personally I feel aoe is slightly more fun to play, one reason being how frustrating sc2 is, like forgetting to build turrets and losing your whole scv line to an oracle or Dts
Im actually not so sure about this, its the same in aoe really, for example: forgetting to herd and losing all those vills. (pretty much the same thing as forgetting to build turrets)
And that sc2 has little margin for error is also the same in aoe3, when played at a high level.

As with small timing windows youre probably right. For example in sc: you need to attack before a third colossus is up. (meaning that sc2 has way more valuable units (more expensive and better on their own) than in aoe3.
But for example in aoe3: you need to age at exactly at ... so you can hold the .. timing. ?

So I dont think sc2 is harder when it comes to that, I just think its really fast paced so that micro and macro gets really hard the higher rank you get.

Yeah but herding is such a huge part of aoe, so you dont really forget to herd or you deserve to lose. But I agree sc2 is so fast paced compared, also you cant just drop all your units in ur opponents base from a warp prism or medivac
Lancer

Starcraftz thread

Post by Method_man714 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:Im sure it is a great game, its why I watch pro games, It just seems like the units die so fast its harder to implement counters, maybe one day when they can interface it to our thoughts and we can contol everything with our imaginations. I myself am not that competitive I''m a long haired hippy type, but I am an AOE fan, have been since the original and I put my command and conquer to rest. It was pretty revolutionary then even though archaic compared to Aoe3. I loved making centurions. To me its the funnest game franchise there is and is the only game I play now that I''ve grown out of super NES, nintendo 64 and xbox. (well to be fair my sister pawned my nes when I was in college- i miss u f zero! and x box is only fun if you got a room full of friends so I sold it at a yard sale) I would actually really like to see a new medieval version with aoe3 features and some other additional features as its the time frame I prefer.but I love the uniqueness of each civ in aoe3. If i had the money I would buy the rights to the game and hire people who know how to code it.

There is not that much diversity in aoe3 most civs have musketeers for example.
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon

Starcraftz thread

Post by blackwidow »

nepenthes714 wrote:
blackwidow wrote:Im actually not so sure about this, its the same in aoe really, for example: forgetting to herd and losing all those vills. (pretty much the same thing as forgetting to build turrets)

As with small timing windows youre probably right. For example in sc: you need to attack before a third colossus is up. (meaning that sc2 has way more valuable units (more expensive and better on their own) than in aoe3.
But for example in aoe3: you need to age at exactly at ... so you can hold the .. timing.

So I dont think sc2 is harder when it comes to that, I just think its really fast paced so that micro and macro gets really hard the higher rank you get.
Yeah but herding is such a huge part of aoe, so you dont really forget to herd or you deserve to lose. But I agree sc2 is so fast paced compared, also you cant just drop all your units in ur opponents base from a warp prism or medivac
Id argue making a turret is just as important as herding :P but that definitely depends on the game/matchup in both cases.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Starcraftz thread

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

You don't think there is very much diversity? just because there are muskets and cannon, each civ plays different with better combos and strats for each. then you have the 3 natives and 3 asian civs which are completely different with new skins. there are so many things that make each civ play a little different and each has their own unique units. Even though sc has oddly different civs each is based on a similar format with mele units, at range units, heavy units, air units, specialty units.... in similar categories but just with different ways to play those units and each with different strengths in those areas. much like how some civs it makes more sense to use a lot of muskets and others not so much. both are excellent games and create diversity while maintaining balance. I don't think star craft could achieve that if it had 13 uniquely different alien factions to play. So only having 3 civs it has less diversity in that aspect.
Lancer

Starcraftz thread

Post by Method_man714 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:You don''t think there is very much diversity? just because there are muskets and cannon, each civ plays different with better combos and strats for each. then you have the 3 natives and 3 asian civs which are completely different with new skins. there are so many things that make each civ play a little different and each has their own unique units. Even though sc has oddly different civs each is based on a similar format with mele units, at range units, heavy units, air units, specialty units.... in similar categories but just with different ways to play those units and each with different strengths in those areas. much like how some civs it makes more sense to use a lot of muskets and others not so much. both are excellent games and create diversity while maintaining balance. I don''t think star craft could achieve that if it had 13 uniquely different alien factions to play. So only having 3 civs it has less diversity in that aspect.

Yes but those 3 civs are vastly different, and they each have so many strategys and bo, aoe definitely has diversity but mostly we see the same stuff, semi ff, ff or musk Huss age 2
Lancer

Starcraftz thread

Post by Method_man714 »

Plus they don't really have many unique units, like sepoy ashi just muskets, gurka arques as skirms, would be nice to see more units like Urumi, sc2 is better in this sense I feel.
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Starcraftz thread

Post by yoqpasa »

I'm interested in learning SC2, as AOE players what youtube channel/Garja guide should I watch to learn?