dreaming of an aoe4 or aoe2 redone

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

So I would love to see hear some ideas for a reboot of a medieval game. some things I would like to see are walls that as like 10x stronger but much more expensive and longer to build and back to a stone resource so they cant be spammed all over the place. only seige units would be able to take them down and units could not fire over them (except some siege and at decreased accuracy) but they could be garrisoned. the garrisoning would give a ranged resist to any unit in it and plus 2 range. (or 2 wall types, tall and thin weaker but cant fire over, or thick and strong but can lob arrows over) and still be able to build weak palisade walls as stone walls would just be to protect your main city with really just 1 layer.

Enough with all this running around stuff, I'm entertaining one town center which is very strong and upgraded to be the keep of the castle. when it goes so does the game end.

Also I think villages of different types could be throughout the map to be allies like natives but one village could be like a blacksmith guild that would increase armored units strength while owned but lostif someone else takes control, another might be a farm and give an extra trickle of food, or a stables that offer faster or cheaper training of cav. each map offering different village advantages. This way its like 2 feudal lords competing for territory and each conquered territory offering a service to the feudal lord. the units u could train from there might be like farmers with pitch forks/ wheat flail, sythe and irregulars called to help defend.

unique buildings like a lumber mill that while in place decreases building time, a textile market and some more simcity like buildings to create really nice cities. that either generate more xp or bonuses for while you have them. for your civ as u have happier people more etc... on this to develop while still having the Aoe feel of millitary adding the bonus of getting shipments out faster with a city that generates XP for you while millitary buildings and other basics would not.

more ranges of infantry. like short sworded with shield to kill archers, long sworded to kill short sword, mace/flail to kill armored, pike to kill cav, archers to kill heavy inf, skirms to kill archers and short swordsmen, lancers, hand cav, ranged cav and then more artillery

well just a few thoughts on how the game could be adapted and evolve as I would really like someone to buy the rights to the game and remake it. It only took star wars 36 years for that to happen and so much stuff is constantly remade, AOE was ground breaking when it first came out and needs to be revamped once in a while! it deserves to live on.Except this time listen to your fans and avoid AOEO mistakes....

what do you think? and what would you like to see. I have great ideas or moving this forward into a WW1- WW2 game but I dunno I think maybe aoe should stick to the ancients. They are the only ones to get it right.
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

This is all over the map lol, hard to follow what sort of a game you're trying to create.
Taunt 3
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Farmville
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

#capturethedream
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I've never played farmville or really know what it is, Essentially something very similar to AOE 3 but allying with surrounding villages would have significant unique bonuses sort of like the trade route but with things like cheaper buildings at the saw mill, or extra armor at the blacksmith, or faster spawning cavalry at the horse ranch. that would make map control very important and anyone sitting in their base would be at a disadvantage to do so. Creating micro battles to control those spots before starting the castle siege. Siege in the game would take some real strategy as there would be fewer stronger walls that require siege engines rather than units throwing torches at stone. Walls would also be more realistic in that missiles would either not be able to be fired over walls/ enemy LOS be permitted or do so with reduced accuracy, unless it was for a trebuchet or something. Just some ideas.

then you could build some things that wouldn't really serve a purpose militarily but are just cool to add to a true medieval town that generate XP or something like extra consulate credit. which might be redundant if trade post are still in it which also generate Xp but its an idea.

i also think they should bring back accuracy in arrows so ranged units don't completely own the game.

another idea is commander units that have a aura that give those units in the aura some AI that you could program to the commander, say all units be in defensive stance would target units to the units they counter but also not run away from the commander outside of the aura to suicide themselves, so that way bows aren't firing at cavalry due to the random nature of the AI. It could also be worked in with unit formations, so if the commander dies they break loose and now are fighting randomly. This would work best for the large battles and castle siege part of the game. Micro skills would still need to be used for early fighting and conducting the seige.

I guess since people created the Napoleonic expansion the game could be made by just changing the building and unit skins if one knew how to do that. As far as the AOE 3 engine it doesn't really need that much more, its pretty good.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I''ve never played farmville or really know what it is, Essentially something very similar to AOE 3 but allying with surrounding villages would have significant unique bonuses sort of like the trade route but with things like cheaper buildings at the saw mill, or extra armor at the blacksmith, or faster spawning cavalry at the horse ranch. that would make map control very important and anyone sitting in their base would be at a disadvantage to do so. Creating micro battles to control those spots before starting the castle siege. Siege in the game would take some real strategy as there would be fewer stronger walls that require siege engines rather than units throwing torches at stone. Walls would also be more realistic in that missiles would either not be able to be fired over walls/ enemy LOS be permitted or do so with reduced accuracy, unless it was for a trebuchet or something. Just some ideas.

then you could build some things that wouldn''t really serve a purpose militarily but are just cool to add to a true medieval town that generate XP or something like extra consulate credit. which might be redundant if trade post are still in it which also generate Xp but its an idea.

i also think they should bring back accuracy in arrows so ranged units don''t completely own the game.

another idea is commander units that have a aura that give those units in the aura some AI that you could program to the commander, say all units be in defensive stance would target units to the units they counter but also not run away from the commander outside of the aura to suicide themselves, so that way bows aren''t firing at cavalry due to the random nature of the AI. It could also be worked in with unit formations, so if the commander dies they break loose and now are fighting randomly. This would work best for the large battles and castle siege part of the game. Micro skills would still need to be used for early fighting and conducting the seige.

I guess since people created the Napoleonic expansion the game could be made by just changing the building and unit skins if one knew how to do that. As far as the AOE 3 engine it doesn''t really need that much more, its pretty good.
Sounds similar to rise of nations.
No Flag illmatic
Dragoon

Post by illmatic »

I never brag how real I keep it, cause it's the best secret