That's so random lol

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

That's so random lol

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Two different outcomes can emerge from identical conditions, so randomness is possible.

Prove me wrong, faggots.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

That's so random lol

Post by evilcheadar »

Yes, I agree. In senecio editor I'll have 3 different groups of units and I'll play test senecio a bunch of times and the same group of units doesn't always win even though I never moved them in between trials or added more units to that group.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag jaype22
Musketeer

That's so random lol

Post by jaype22 »

evilcheadar wrote:Yes, I agree. In senecio editor I''ll have 3 different groups of units and I''ll play test senecio a bunch of times and the same group of units doesn''t always win even though I never moved them in between trials or added more units to that group.
That''s cause the conditions aren''t identical.

To the OP: That''s not how science works, explain your thought further first to prove it.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

That's so random lol

Post by momuuu »

Are you trying to catch a wild gs?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

That's so random lol

Post by Kaiserklein »

frycookofdoom wrote:Two different outcomes can emerge from identical conditions, so randomness is possible.

Prove me wrong, faggots.
No
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Gendarme

That's so random lol

Post by evilcheadar »

jaype22 wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:Yes, I agree. In senecio editor Ill have 3 different groups of units and Ill play test senecio a bunch of times and the same group of units doesnt always win even though I never moved them in between trials or added more units to that group.
Thats cause the conditions arent identical.

To the OP: Thats not how science works, explain your thought further first to prove it.
They are, I never did anything to my units before each play test.

No Flag jaype22
Musketeer

That's so random lol

Post by jaype22 »

evilcheadar wrote:
jaype22 wrote:Thats cause the conditions arent identical.

To the OP: Thats not how science works, explain your thought further first to prove it.
They are, I never did anything to my units before each play test.
That still doesnt mean that the conditions are identical...
Gendarme

That's so random lol

Post by evilcheadar »

jaype22 wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:They are, I never did anything to my units before each play test.
That still doesnt mean that the conditions are identical...
Ok fella than tell me what would differ?

No Flag jaype22
Musketeer

That's so random lol

Post by jaype22 »

evilcheadar wrote:
jaype22 wrote:That still doesnt mean that the conditions are identical...
Ok fella than tell me what would differ?
Do you know how a PC game works?!
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

That's so random lol

Post by yemshi »

Since you will never be able to have the exact same conditions, no. But saying there is no randomness is just wrong. So I'd say yes' Two different outcomes can emerge from identical conditions.
Gendarme

That's so random lol

Post by evilcheadar »

jaype22 wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:Ok fella than tell me what would differ?
Do you know how a PC game works?!
That how it differs? Ive never heard of that one before.

No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

That's so random lol

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

jaype22 wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:Yes, I agree. In senecio editor Ill have 3 different groups of units and Ill play test senecio a bunch of times and the same group of units doesnt always win even though I never moved them in between trials or added more units to that group.
Thats cause the conditions arent identical.

We can have two true statements, If A is true, then B is true, and If A is true, then C is true, such that their conjunction is also true and does not imply a contradiction. This shows that there may be a condition A from which two separate and entirely different outcomes will follow.

jerom wrote:Are you trying to catch a wild gs?
:whistling:
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

That's so random lol

Post by Aizamk »

frycookofdoom wrote:
jaype22 wrote:Thats cause the conditions arent identical.

We can have two true statements, If A is true, then B is true, and If A is true, then C is true, such that their conjunction is also true and does not imply a contradiction. This shows that there may be a condition A from which two separate and entirely different outcomes will follow.

jerom wrote:Are you trying to catch a wild gs?
:whistling:
Not buying your explanation.

If I step in a puddle of water, then my shoe gets wet.
If I step in a puddle of water, then water gets displaced.
If I step in a puddle of water, then my shoe gets wet and water gets displaced.

I flip a coin. It is heads.
I flip a coin. It lands.
I flip a coin. It lands and is heads.
oranges.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

That's so random lol

Post by Metis »

Identical physical conditions never occur in the real universe because two objects can't occupy the same positon in space-time and, therefore, will have slightly different environments. Within the confines of a logical system two variables can be identical, as in A=A. However, here you are never going to get any randomness unless you introduce it. As we discussed in a previous thread, there may not be absolute randomness (i.e., variables whose values are totally independent of anything else in existence) but it really doesn't matter as apparent randomness is sufficient to lower the effect of bias to the point where it has no appreciable effect on the outcome.
No Flag jaype22
Musketeer

That's so random lol

Post by jaype22 »

metis wrote:Identical physical conditions never occur in the real universe because two objects can''t occupy the same positon in space-time and, therefore, will have slightly different environments. Within the confines of a logical system two variables can be identical, as in A=A. However, here you are never going to get any randomness unless you introduce it. As we discussed in a previous thread, there may not be absolute randomness (i.e., variables whose values are totally independent of anything else in existence) but it really doesn''t matter as apparent randomness is sufficient to lower the effect of bias to the point where it has no appreciable effect on the outcome.
This

/close
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

That's so random lol

Post by momuuu »

The discussion is interesting if you rephrase it: If two conditions were exactly identical, could something different happen? Or is that impossible for theoretical reasons that would make any consistency fall apart?

To me, I think it could be possible as long as there is some patern to it, creating a reproducable average and thus still creating the world we live in, which is deterministic on a macroscopic scale.
Howdah

That's so random lol

Post by Metis »

jerom wrote: If two conditions were exactly identical, could something different happen?
This question is known to philosophy as the Buridan''s Ass paradox. In the paradox a perfectly logical donkey is placed between two exactly equal piles of hay and starves to death because it can''t logically chose between them. As long as the piles of hay are equal in all aspects and also equidistant then all logical donkeys will always starve.
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

That's so random lol

Post by mnogud »

in terms of theory in philosophy either everything is random or else nothing is random
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

That's so random lol

Post by momuuu »

mnogud wrote:in terms of theory in philosophy either everything is random or else nothing is random
why cant we have a bunch of random effects that on a macroscopic scale make up non-random phenomena.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

That's so random lol

Post by gibson »

metis wrote:
jerom wrote: If two conditions were exactly identical, could something different happen?
This question is known to philosophy as the Buridans Ass paradox. In the paradox a perfectly logical donkey is placed between two exactly equal piles of hay and starves to death because it cant logically chose between them. As long as the piles of hay are equal in all aspects?and also equidistant then all logical?donkeys will always starve.

isnt it illogical for him to not pick one?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

That's so random lol

Post by Dolan »

jerom wrote:
mnogud wrote:in terms of theory in philosophy either everything is random or else nothing is random
why cant we have a bunch of random effects that on a macroscopic scale make up non-random phenomena.
This is pretty much how our physical world works. I wouldnt be surprised if randomness is actually necessary on a small scale for the macro world to be more predictable. The world is pretty much made up of conflicting principles and laws (such as http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/second-law-of-thermodynam/).
Howdah

That's so random lol

Post by Metis »

gibson wrote:
metis wrote:This question is known to philosophy as the Buridans Ass paradox. In the paradox a perfectly logical donkey is placed between two exactly equal piles of hay and starves to death because it cant logically chose between them. As long as the piles of hay are equal in all aspects and also equidistant then all logical donkeys will always starve.
isnt it illogical for him to not pick one?
Thats the paradox. Its illogical for the ass to let itself starve but it would also be illogical for it to pick one identical action over the other.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

That's so random lol

Post by Dolan »

metis wrote:It''s illogical for the ass to let itself starve

But life makes no sense, so the ass is smart. He picks one pile of hay that seems more attractive, even though it''s not.
France krichk
Musketeer
ESO: AAAzzz___

That's so random lol

Post by krichk »

I guess Einstein would answer something about God not playing dice. It is one of his least convincing demonstration though.
Howdah

That's so random lol

Post by Metis »

This is a good article on randomness:

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues ... ness/99999

He essentially comes to the same conclusion that I did, namely that for practical purposes randomness does indeed exist.

even if the entire observable universe were converted into supercomputers working on telling the output from random, those supercomputers would probably have degenerated into black holes and radiation before they??d made a dent in the problem