Should i do the tiles myself or get a renovation?

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

DIY or renovation?

Do it myself
36%
Do the pool store renovation
9%
Fill in the pool with dirt
55%

Total votes: 11

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

So a few of my tiles have been falling off over the past couple of years, due to the harsh winters weve been having here in the northeast. i am trying to decide between ordering the tiles individually and replacing them myself or having the pool renovations department come in and replace everything, at a muh greater cost. Thoughts?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag stevelance
Musketeer

Post by stevelance »

Well it depends, I have a bad back so replacing the tiles is not something I'd do. I would hire someone to do it for me so yea I voted for pool store renovation. It all depends on your cost-benefit analysis really-- want a bad broken back? Replace it yourself. You will have more dough in the bank however. Just like want a good neck crack? Yea you could be a palegic.
United States of America jacksonpollock
Dragoon

Post by jacksonpollock »

If you're rich enough to have a pool you clearly have money to waste
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

If it's just a few tiles here and there and the underlying concrete is sound, then just replace them yourself. If more than a dozen are falling off per year then you probably should have a professional outfit come in and look at things. Cleaning out, repairing and painting the local pool has long been the job of the senior class here who used the job to make money for their senior trip. I've gotten in on this pool job four times because I always needed the work and the senior class got to be too lazy to do any real work and started just going door to door selling magazines and cheese instead. After twenty years the pool got to be in such a state that the rec commission called in an outfit to refurbish the whole thing. After another twenty years they completely tore it out and laid in a new pool.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Fill in the pool with a dirt, build a greenhouse on top of it.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

How big is the pool? Do you actually swim in it or it's just for show?
No Flag stevelance
Musketeer

Post by stevelance »

metis wrote:If it''s just a few tiles here and there and the underlying concrete is sound, then just replace them yourself. If more than a dozen are falling off per year then you probably should have a professional outfit come in and look at things. Cleaning out, repairing and painting the local pool has long been the job of the senior class here who used the job to make money for their senior trip. I''ve gotten in on this pool job four times because I always needed the work and the senior class got to be too lazy to do any real work and started just going door to door selling magazines and cheese instead. After twenty years the pool got to be in such a state that the rec commission called in an outfit to refurbish the whole thing. After another twenty years they completely tore it out and laid in a new pool.

Your missing the BBF (bad back factor) in your advice. Not everyone can hunch over and replace tiles without being in excruciating pain.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

metis wrote:If it''s just a few tiles here and there and the underlying concrete is sound, then just replace them yourself. If more than a dozen are falling off per year then you probably should have a professional outfit come in and look at things. Cleaning out, repairing and painting the local pool has long been the job of the senior class here who used the job to make money for their senior trip. I''ve gotten in on this pool job four times because I always needed the work and the senior class got to be too lazy to do any real work and started just going door to door selling magazines and cheese instead. After twenty years the pool got to be in such a state that the rec commission called in an outfit to refurbish the whole thing. After another twenty years they completely tore it out and laid in a new pool.

the concrete is certainly okay fornnow, but they did tell me that within the next 5 years i''ll probably need a re plaster. So expensive !
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

dolan wrote:How big is the pool? Do you actually swim in it or it''s just for show?

According to my schematics its 24,643 gallons, i always try to swim in it but you know. work and there''s always something wrong with it preventing me
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

Just remember the longer you wait to fix your tiles the harder it will be to contain the issue. Water can get behind the tiles and into the grout if this water freezes over the winter your tiles will pop off one by one.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag stevelance
Musketeer

Post by stevelance »

gustavusadolphus wrote:Just remember the longer you wait to fix your tiles the harder it will be to contain the issue. Water can get behind the tiles and into the grout if this water freezes over the winter your tiles will pop off one by one.

That''s what I''m saying it''s best to get renovation done right soon.
Lancer

stevelance wrote:
gustavusadolphus wrote:Just remember the longer you wait to fix your tiles the harder it will be to contain the issue. Water can get behind the tiles and into the grout if this water freezes over the winter your tiles will pop off one by one.
Thats what Im saying its best to get renovation done right soon.
I would not get it renovated right away just ensure you have the problem tiles contained to the issue does not spread. As far as getting down to work on them I find it easy to lower the water level in the pool and use a pool float to go tile to tile.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag stevelance
Musketeer

Post by stevelance »

gustavusadolphus wrote:
stevelance wrote:Thats what Im saying its best to get renovation done right soon.
I would not get it renovated right away just ensure you have the problem tiles contained to the issue does not spread. As far as getting down to work on them I find it easy to lower the water level in the pool and use a pool float to go tile to tile.

We dont even know if he has a float capable for this job, he never posted anything related to that.
Lancer

stevelance wrote:
gustavusadolphus wrote:I would not get it renovated right away just ensure you have the problem tiles contained to the issue does not spread. As far as getting down to work on them I find it easy to lower the water level in the pool and use a pool float to go tile to tile.
We dont even know if he has a float capable for this job, he never posted anything related to that.
They say they have pig floats in their signature.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gustavusadolphus wrote:
stevelance wrote:We dont even know if he has a float capable for this job, he never posted anything related to that.
They say they have pig floats in their?signature.

I can certainly try to use them. they are made by swimline though so who knows if they are poolworthy you know ?
Lancer

fightinfrenchman wrote:
gustavusadolphus wrote:They say they have pig floats in their signature.

I can certainly try to use them. they are made by swimline though so who knows if they are poolworthy you know ?
At least they are not pool master. :)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Should i do the tiles myself or get a renovation?

Still haven't decided on this one.