unusual weapons of AOE 3

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

What weapon does the spahi use? it looks like a hand shovel.... which did prove effective in WW1 as the preferred trench melee weapon because of its heavy blow able to cleave bone. but really, what is it?

Mahout lancer has a really odd weapon too, looks so tip heavy to be used efficiently.
lets see just about all of india is odd hand weapons
No Flag lukas2223
Crossbow

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by lukas2223 »

Spahi uses a mace, seen more with the knights in Europe than traditional Ottoman Calvary. The mahout uses a large front ended spear which bears uncanny resemblance to a harpoon.

Of course there are a lot of inaccuracies with weapons used as well as armor and clothing in Aoe. Just something you get with any game.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

ahh a mace makes sense! (just not the 3 area damage it deals) although it should get a bonus vs heavy inf and cav
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by gustavusadolphus »

I think the cassadors seem to have an extension to their rifles. This seems odd to me because I thought it was filing of the barrel and not barrel length that improved accuracy in the 18th century
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I think its a correlation of both?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Jaeger »

lukas2223 wrote:Of course there are a lot of inaccuracies with weapons used as well as armor and clothing in Aoe.
Such as?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Lancer

unusual weapons of AOE 3

I guess a rifle extension could make sense. but most rifles for the time were pretty short compared to a muscket.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag lukas2223
Crossbow

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by lukas2223 »

ovi12 wrote:
lukas2223 wrote:Of course there are a lot of inaccuracies with weapons used as well as armor and clothing in Aoe.?
Such as?

To name just a few: (if I named all of them I would be here all day)
Landsknecht did not typically wield swords as a primary weapon, they were usually pikemen and musketeers, fighting as their own force.
Early musketeers didnt have bayonets nor accuracy.
Hackapalls typically coupled swordsmanship with marksman ship in battle ( they also used pistols)
Grenadiers are not given to Germany, however, the Prussians had one of if not the most famous grenadier corps of all European countries
All civilizations arent given gendarmes however all had them
Ect ect
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by momuuu »

Both landsknechts and doppelsoldners seem to use the zweihander, while wikipedia states that landsknecht using zweihander were also called doppelsoldners, because they were paid twice as much for their ability to use the zweihander.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Good ol Ivan »

I wonder who thought Iron flails were a good idea.
Like, seriously, a mace attached to an elephant's trunk???
Also arsonists. A guy throwing sticks on fire causes huge area damage???
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Jaeger »

lukas2223 wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Such as?

To name just a few: (if I named all of them I would be here all day)
Landsknecht did not typically wield swords as a primary weapon, they were usually pikemen and musketeers, fighting as their own force.
Early musketeers didnt have bayonets nor accuracy.
Hackapalls typically coupled swordsmanship with marksman ship in battle ( they also used pistols)
Grenadiers are not given to Germany, however, the Prussians had one of if not the most famous grenadier corps of all European countries
All civilizations arent given gendarmes however all had them
Ect ect
Right, some units dont use their main weapon in aoe or theyre limited in the weapons they had, but I dont think there are any which are blatantly wrong, like an aztec unit on a horse lol. Also, which unit has incorrect clothing?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Jaeger »

jerom wrote:Both landsknechts and doppelsoldners seem to use the zweihander, while wikipedia states that landsknecht using zweihander were also called doppelsoldners, because they were paid twice as much for their ability to use the zweihander.
I think they were paid twice as much for their service of fighting on the front lines, not for using a large sword.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by momuuu »

ovi12 wrote:
jerom wrote:Both landsknechts and doppelsoldners seem to use the zweihander, while wikipedia states that landsknecht using zweihander were also called doppelsoldners, because they were paid twice as much for their ability to use the zweihander.
I think they were paid twice as much for their service of fighting on the front lines, not for using a large sword.?

both actually, but these doppelsoldners are using the zweihander, which, if you read past the introduction on wikipedia, is also a reason for landsknechts to be paid twice. Which is fair, because mastering the zweihander seems harder than using a normal pike.

Source: I used the zweihander a lot in dark souls.
Lancer

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Look up the thugees they are interesting.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

what i know about them is they were indian kali cult often posed as merchant and jewel distributors, but were really thieves and mastered the art of strangulation with a scarf and knot.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Jaeger »

jerom wrote:
ovi12 wrote:I think they were paid twice as much for their service of fighting on the front lines, not for using a large sword.
both actually, but these doppelsoldners are using the zweihander, which, if you read past the introduction on wikipedia, is also a reason for landsknechts to be paid twice. Which is fair, because mastering the zweihander seems harder than using a normal pike.

Source: I used the zweihander a lot in dark souls.
hm k, my source is the aoe histor section in "options" lol
United States of America Metis
Howdah

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Metis »

[quote="howlingwolfpaw"][/quote]Black powder burns inefficiently and thus requires a longer barrel than modern smokeless powder does for full power. The same thing happens to a lesser extent with smokeless powder too. This is why the same caliber and powder charge is more powerful in a rifle than a pistol.

.44-40 (24" rifle barrel) 1060 feet/sec, 499 ft. pounds energy
.44-40 (4" pistol barrel) 750 feet/sec, 281 ft. pounds energy

M-16s and the 5.56 mm NATO round were designed with a certain length barrel in mind. Militaries around the world are finding that the standard caliber isn''t nearly as effective in the shorter carbine barrels (such as that of the M4) that are being used today. This is why the US Special Forces uses a larger caliber and you may soon see a larger caliber NATO round too.

Original M-16 508 mm (20.0 in) barrel, 922 m/s (3,025 ft/s)
M4 carbine 360 mm (14.2 in) barrel, 866 m/s (2,841 ft/s) 12 m/s (39 ft/s)

With iron sights, longer barrels also give a longer sight radius, which improves accuracy. Rifling imparts a spin on the projectile, stabilizing it. Deep rifling also gives the black powder residue someplace to go, thus allowing more shots to be fired before the rifle must be cleaned.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

great info, thanks metis!
Lancer

unusual weapons of AOE 3

metis wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:
Black powder burns inefficiently and thus requires a longer barrel than modern smokeless powder does for full power. The same thing happens to a lesser extent with smokeless powder too. This is why the same caliber and powder charge is more powerful in a rifle than a pistol.

.44-40 (24" rifle barrel) 1060 feet/sec, 499 ft. pounds energy
.44-40 (4" pistol barrel) 750 feet/sec, 281 ft. pounds energy

M-16s and the 5.56 mm NATO round were designed with a certain length barrel in mind. Militaries around the world are finding that the standard caliber isnt nearly as effective in the shorter carbine barrels (such as that of the M4) that are being used today. This is why the US Special Forces uses a larger caliber and you may soon see a larger caliber NATO round too.

Original M-16 508 mm (20.0 in) barrel, 922 m/s (3,025 ft/s)
M4 carbine 360 mm (14.2 in) barrel, 866 m/s (2,841 ft/s) 12 m/s (39 ft/s)

With iron sights, longer barrels also give a longer sight radius, which improves accuracy. Rifling imparts a spin on the projectile, stabilizing it. Deep rifling also gives the black powder residue someplace to go, thus allowing more shots to be fired before the rifle must be cleaned.

So do you think the extension is to allow more power to the bullet? Possibly only the non-extended part of the rifle not being rifled.
India _DB_
Howdah

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by _DB_ »

The weapon that urumi uses is the most scary one.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI[/youtube]

Source: Ovi thread
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
Howdah

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Metis »

gustavusadolphus wrote:
metis wrote:
So do you think the extension is to allow more power to the bullet? Possibly only the non-extended part of the rifle not being rifled.
Remember that the extension you see is video game art. The only "extensions" present at the time were bayonets. I think what you may be seeing is the barrel extending a bit past the forearm of the stock, as in this British "Brown Bess" musket.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Brown_Bess.png" alt="[/img]
Lancer

unusual weapons of AOE 3

metis wrote:
gustavusadolphus wrote:So do you think the extension is to allow more power to the bullet? Possibly only the non-extended part of the rifle not being rifled.
Remember that the extension you see is video game art. The only "extensions" present at the time were bayonets. I think what you may be seeing is the barrel extending a bit past the forearm of the stock, as in this British "Brown Bess" musket.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Brown_Bess.png[/img]

mystery solved, the "extension i was seeing is a result of playing on lower graphics settings. upon closer look it is just a colored strip at the end of the barrel.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

nice urumi video! those guys are masters and fearless to wield those. I wonder if they are realyl near as effective as they are in the game. Seems like even light medium armor would render it useless.
Howdah

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by Metis »

howlingwolfpaw wrote: Seems like even light medium armor would render it useless.
It probably would. However, just think of the damage one of those guys could cause if he got in amongst a bunch of British musketeers who didn''t have their bayonets fixed.
No Flag glenoidfossa
Crossbow

unusual weapons of AOE 3

Post by glenoidfossa »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:nice urumi video! those guys are masters and fearless to wield those. I wonder if they are realyl near as effective as they are in the game. Seems like even light medium armor would render it useless.
They were more than likely not as effective as they are in the game, as most people would have heard about them outside the game and pretty much no one has. Everyone knows samurai, redcoat, elephents, ect but few know Urumi.