My "rights" are more important than yours.

Place open for new posts ā€” threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

calmyourtits wrote:
metis wrote: Using proxy server per se is not, or shouldnt be, illegal.
Again, thats just using it for something illegal. Doesnt mean anonymity itself is illegal, which it isnt.
I dont think that you read my entire post, note the highlighted sentence.

Many would like nothing more than to be able to censor and control the Internet. Dictatorial and totalitarian countries just do this without consulting their populace because they are, well, dictatorial and totalitarian.

However, purportedly democratic countries have to be a bit more sly about their control and censorship. One way they can do this is to enter into treaties. In this way the governments can tell the people that they really dont much like the censorship and control but that its just part of the overall good of the treaty.

An even more devious method of censorship and control is to do it in the name of civil rights. Several self-named "womens rights spokespersons" have recently testified at the UN, demanding that the Internet be censored. These are the types to whom "equality" means quashing any dissenting opinion. In part, because she has heard people in gaming chatrooms and on YouTube videos saying "??Youre a liar, ??You suck," one demands that countries "develop laws and other governance to enforce compliance and punitive consequences for perpetrators."

If you want to be treated like an adult on the Internet, or on a college campus, then begin by acting like one and not just running to mommy government every time someone calls you a name.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/25/939916 ... -zoe-quinn
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Right sorry, I did read over that.

Realistically I don't think online anonymity will stay on the right side of the law long term. I think it likely that at some point, you will need to login using your personal eID before getting internet access. It's comparable to how we all need passports and are required to identify ourselves when asked by law enforcement. As you get into discussing why that is, you realise many of the same arguments apply. The difference is, someone can do way less damage on the internet than in real life but that will change in the future.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

calmyourtits wrote: I think it likely that at some point, you will need to login using your personal eID before getting internet access... The difference is, someone can do way less damage on the internet than in real life but that will change in the future.
I have mixed feelings about this. While anonymity is desirable as it allows one to speak freely without fear of retribution by local authorities, it also allows those who would abuse others more reign to do so.

There are some very nasty trolls on the Internet. Some have extended their Internet stalking to the real world and have gone so far as to have people arrested by falsely accusing them. This has resulted in suicide attempts and, sometimes, suicide.

The dark side of that freedom is that anonymous harassment is easily perpetrated, unrestrained by the slightest bit of human connection with the target.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... e-attempt/

On the other hand, the Internet can be a great force for justice, as when it brought to light the corrupt and racist Seattle police officer who arrested an older Black man for no reason whatsoever.

"You just swang that golf club at me." -- (former) officer Cynthia Whitlatch.

You can see in the video that he hardly moved the golf club at all, most of the time he was leaning on it, using it as a cane. And even if he had swung it, she was thirty feet away behind a patrol car. She probably would have gotten away with this instance of abuse of authority and continued her harassment of citizens were it not for her exposure on the Internet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2362131
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

metis wrote:
calmyourtits wrote: I think it likely that at some point, you will need to login using your personal eID before getting internet access... The difference is, someone can do way less damage on the internet than in real life but that will change in the future.
I have mixed feelings about this. While anonymity is desirable as it allows one to speak freely without fear of retribution by local authorities, it also allows those who would abuse others more reign to do so.

There are some very nasty trolls on the Internet. Some have extended their Internet stalking to the real world and have gone so far as to have people arrested by falsely accusing them. This has resulted in suicide attempts and, sometimes, suicide.

The dark side of that freedom is that anonymous harassment is easily perpetrated, unrestrained by the slightest bit of human connection with the target.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/23/trolling-gone-wild-internet-forum-harassment-leads-to-suicide-attempt/

On the other hand, the Internet can be a great force for justice, as when it brought to light the corrupt and racist Seattle police officer who arrested an older Black man for no reason whatsoever.

"You just swang that golf club at me." -- (former) officer Cynthia Whitlatch.
You can see in the video that he hardly moved the golf club at all, most of the time he was leaning on it, using it as a cane. And even if he had swung it, she was thirty feet away behind a patrol car. She probably would have gotten away with this instance of abuse of authority and continued her harassment of citizens were it not for her exposure on the Internet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2362131
Yeah online anonymity has 2 sides, and my point is that the bad side will ultimately cause it to be outlawed. As people (in the future) start to spend basically their entire lives on the web, what you described as a nasty troll becomes very much like a real life stalker and there is no way to combat this without a strict policy concerning online identity.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

calmyourtits wrote:
metis wrote:
what you described as a nasty troll becomes very much like a real life stalker
I think that you are right. Part of this is due to the fact that the laws regarding electronic communication are relatively new in comparison to those covering personal action. I think that a lot of this stems from the fact that many lawmakers still dont see the Internet as quite "real."

One can see this caviler attitude to the Internet in the way that a lot of people tend to deride information obtained from it but consider anything physically in print sacrosanct. What they dont realize is that printed information sources are not only fraught with exactly the same errors as Internet sources but, due to the time it takes to print and distribute a physical book, the print information is oftentimes outdated even before it is published.

Until recently, if one discovered an error in print media, what happened? Usually nothing, as it was just too difficult to find the publishers address, the name of the correct editor to contact, and then write a letter explaining the error and referencing your source. Even if a few did write in they might have had their correspondence dismissed, unless they had some social influence. However, an error in an online information source gets hundreds of instantaneous comments when noticed.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

A while ago people were convicted for posting racist comment on facebook in the Netherlands. It might be the start of the law actually applying on the internet aswell.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

jerom wrote:A while ago people were convicted for posting racist comment on facebook in the Netherlands. It might be the start of the law actually applying on the internet aswell.
Wow you go to jail for saying something racist in the netherlands?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

frycookofdoom wrote:
jerom wrote:A while ago people were convicted for posting racist comment on facebook in the Netherlands. It might be the start of the law actually applying on the internet aswell.
Wow you go to jail for saying something racist in the netherlands?
Convicted doesnt necessarily mean you go to jail right? I think they got a sizable fine of 500 euros or sth.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

jerom wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Wow you go to jail for saying something racist in the netherlands?
Convicted doesnt necessarily mean you go to jail right? I think they got a sizable fine of 500 euros or sth.
Damn, I knew Europe was Communist, but I didnt know it was that bad.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

frycookofdoom wrote:
jerom wrote:Convicted doesnt necessarily mean you go to jail right? I think they got a sizable fine of 500 euros or sth.
Damn, I knew Europe was Communist, but I didnt know it was that bad.

Just 1 more way the United States crushes the Netherlands .
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea,
While we were marching through Georgia!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The fuck. Is Missouri one of those states still living in the 1800s or is the US just that backwards?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

calmyourtits wrote:The fuck. Is Missouri one of those states still living in the 1800s or is the US just that backwards?
Just like basically everywhere else in the world, the US has an extremely small minority of people who are basically completely fucking retarded. The southern states tend to have more of these people than the northern states due to socio-economic issues that go back before the United States itself existed.
No Flag glenoidfossa
Crossbow

Post by glenoidfossa »

Fucking retards
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@gibson A minority but I don't know about extremely small, after all the leading republican presidential candidate is not even trying to hide his racism. But I see your point.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

calmyourtits wrote:@gibson A minority but I don''t know about extremely small, after all the leading republican presidential candidate is not even trying to hide his racism. But I see your point.
Well, Trump won''t win the republican nomination, let alone the election. Unfortunately that just goes to show how much money effects US politics. A complete political dumb ass is a leading candidate just because he happens to be a billionaire. It''s a shame really.
Howdah

Re: My

Post by Metis »

It's recently come to light that the student at The University of Missouri who went on hunger strike because he was a member of an "oppressed minority" and who demanded that the president of the university publicly state his "white privilege" just might be a bit privileged himself.

Butler is a member of a prominent Omaha family. His father, Eric L. Butler, is an executive vice president for the Union Pacific Railroad. His 2014 compensation was $6.7 million and his estimated total net worth is well over $20 million.

http://www1.salary.com/Eric-L-Butler-Sa ... -CORP.html

Here is a picture of this poor oppressed student at a black-tie dinner:

The whole thing started because a Black student claimed that someone said "nigger" in his presence.

When the above "oppressed" back student ended his very short hunger strike, the first thing his black supporters said, as he took a bite out of a gourmet burger, were "Wooo, shit nigger!" and "Yeah, nigger!"

Not only this, the claims that the University of Missouri president had his driver run his car into protestors and that the police were brutal to them also were blatantly false. Watch the video below to see what actually transpired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phA_mGxR4-A
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Mods, are we allowed to use the n-word here? Honestly curious
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Howdah

Post by Metis »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Mods, are we allowed to use the n-word here? Honestly curious

It's hard to have a discussion if you can't use words relevant to said discussion. Watch the video and you will notice that I'm just quoting what the black protestors themselves said.

It's not only disingenuous to use the term "n-word," it's stupid and cowardly.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ā†‘
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

iNcog wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Mods, are we allowed to use the n-word here? Honestly curious

You can but it's distasteful. Do it too much to the point where it becomes annoying, I suppose we'll ask you to stop.

There's a difference between using a word as a pejorative and using it in the context of a logical argument. If people here can't, don't or won't understand the difference then there is no sense in trying to have a legitimate discussion on this site.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iNcog wrote:

You can but it's distasteful. Do it too much to the point where it becomes annoying, I suppose we'll ask you to stop.

Wasn't planning on it just wanted to know the official stance
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Don't bump old threads
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Howdah

Post by Metis »

evilcheadar wrote:Don't bump old threads

I added new, relevant information to a thread I started, that's not a bump. If you live in the US you would know that this is an ongoing issue. There was a report on the local new about it just this evening. If you are not interested in the topic then free to stay in the threads about "popcorn" and "Pu$$y".