Thoughts on Fallout 4

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Thoughts on Fallout 4

Post by arriah »

I HATE IT. It's not even really an RPG anymore. They ruined it worse than Skyrim. It seems that a lot of people who have played the older Fallouts hate it. I played 1 2 tactics and 3 (haven't played NV yet, but I will) and while Fallout 3 wasn't FANTASTIC I still liked it a lot and had many hours of fun. It's like if AoE 4 came out and you were so excited; put it in your computer and it turns out to be racing game. Am I doomed to playing only old games?!?!

What do you think?
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Re: Thoughts on Fallout 4

Post by DivineFire »

I think you didn't even list your reasons to hate it, fuck outa here m8.
Taunt 3
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

DivineFire wrote:I think you didn't even list your reasons to hate it, fuck outa here m8.

Graphics are absolute shit, anyone who defends them is just a fanboy
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

DivineFire wrote:I think you didn't even list your reasons to hate it, fuck outa here m8.

Well, actually, I stated my biggest gripe of the game. That I am not getting what is expected and advertised. This game is not an RPG. The series has always been an RPG.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

fightinfrenchman wrote:

I agree. It looks like shit. And anyone who says only gameplay matters is just a hipster.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

fightinfrenchman wrote:

i agree.

[spoiler=we have a problem]your signature seems alittle too big.[/spoiler]
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Don't you play a role in the game?
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

It's not AOE3 so it's not much of a game.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I haven't played other fallout games but was considering buying this one. Is it really that disappointing or have you jsut grown more bitter over the years?
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Game is good as usual. Graphics however...
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Jerom wrote:I haven't played other fallout games but was considering buying this one. Is it really that disappointing or have you jsut grown more bitter over the years?

It is truly dissapointing it is the same as Skyrim but fallout themed. Fallout used to be a fantastic post apocolyptic survival RPG (turn based, but the transition to RT was fine) with fantastic atmosphere and good story. With the removal of stats and skills it kills a large part of the role play, as in instead of having a unique character with strengths and weaknesses you have a generic jack of all trades that quickly gets super powerful making the game really boring. On top of that, (minor spoiler ahead, first 5 mins of the game)
You are forced into a character you may not want to play. You are married with a hideous stupid plastic-ass baby-- I mean you can practically smell the factory fumes of the slick cheap plastic-- so pretty much you have to be a good guy or everything is stupid ("lets get high and kill some innocents also have you seen my poor little baby OMG :(")

And even worse, your character is also voiced, which means you have a shitty voice and the dialogue options are really vague one word "descriptions" that lead you to fucking up quests. Having voiced NPCs is fine, even though it tends to make for worse story telling (voice actors have to be paid and they make the dialogue more shallow so that you won't be listening to someone blab for ten minutes)

Also, while there are stats in the game, apparently they are absolutely worthless as you can do everything with each at one.

Also, power armor is supposed to require training to use, and while it makes sense for your character (ex military for both male and female means you possibly had training) EVERYONE else can also use the armor which is super common also and scattered everywhere so that's it's really just pointless.

There's more, even, but this is getting way too long.

@Jam

You play a role in literally every game, ever.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

iNcog wrote:So from what I realize, Fallout 4 doesn't have RPG elements?

Not really, it tries to pretend it does but it's not fooling anyone. Your choices are further limited by the stupid "perk tree" and apparently you can not invest in lock picking for a while. Intelligence is a completely worthless stat based on the description which says it only affects the amount of XP you get doing stuff.

I have even more complaints if you really want to know, hah.

HOWEVER, I will say that VATS has been improved since fallout 3, it makes sense for the targets to continue to move in a real time game. Also, the ability to mod items with like scopes and stuff is nice, and I like that you can mix and match armor like in morrowind. Those are pretty much the only positives.

Coming at this from a perspective of how it fits with past fallout games and being someone who plays actual RPGs, I would give it a 3/10

BUT

If you are one of those people that is more casual or mostly plays big fancy game titles then you may find this game much more enjoyable than I.

These seem to be the two main views, with a few people straying in between.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

iNcog wrote:yeah so it's almost a shooter with rpg elements

You forgot to mention that it's not even AOE4 so it has to be shit.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Oh that doesn't sound as enjoyable as I'd like it to be. I don't like shooting anyways, and I want skill builds and rpg stuff.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Jerom wrote:

Oh that doesn't sound as enjoyable as I'd like it to be. I don't like shooting anyways, and I want skill builds and rpg stuff.

At the very least I would say wait a while for mods and patches. In the meantime you could try the older ones or if you don't mind old games I would highly reccomend Arcanum and Nox. Arcanum can be switched between turn based and real time and Nox is real time as I remember. Arcanum is truly a masterpiece; everything from the story gameplay and voice acting to the music and even sound effects of your mouse passing over the menu buttons *_*
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

arriah wrote:
Jerom wrote:

At the very least I would say wait a while for mods and patches. In the meantime you could try the older ones or if you don't mind old games I would highly reccomend Arcanum and Nox. Arcanum can be switched between turn based and real time and Nox is real time as I remember. Arcanum is truly a masterpiece; everything from the story gameplay and voice acting to the music and even sound effects of your mouse passing over the menu buttons *_*

you make me want to try this Arcanum. Just googled it and it seems similar to baldur's gate 1&2 which I loved playing, especially the coop mode. I'll talk about it to my bro and see if we can find it on PS2
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

benj89 wrote:
arriah wrote:
Show hidden quotes

you make me want to try this Arcanum. Just googled it and it seems similar to baldur's gate 1&2 which I loved playing, especially the coop mode. I'll talk about it to my bro and see if we can find it on PS2

Also loved baldur's gate. I have a hard time deciding wether I like Morrowind or Arcanum better. I think arcanum is way more classic but I really love the beautiful non western culture and lore in Morrowind, and I like the story an music too. It isn't black and white, but as usual the Imperials are being douche bags.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Ugh. While I'm talking about Imperials I would just like to say that Skyrim stole Redguard's plot.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

arriah wrote:
benj89 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Also loved baldur's gate. I have a hard time deciding wether I like Morrowind or Arcanum better. I think arcanum is way more classic but I really love the beautiful non western culture and lore in Morrowind, and I like the story an music too. It isn't black and white, but as usual the Imperials are being douche bags.

I just realized that I confused baldur's gate I&II (which I never played) and baldur's gate Dark alliance I&II that were available on playstation 2. Just checked Arcanum isn't available on PS2, while for some reason I really like playing those games with someone. Brings more hype, and you can discover two different characters at once, it's one of the few type of game I don't like playing alone. I might still try the solo mod this winter
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

benj89 wrote:
arriah wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I just realized that I confused baldur's gate I&II (which I never played) and baldur's gate Dark alliance I&II that were available on playstation 2. Just checked Arcanum isn't available on PS2, while for some reason I really like playing those games with someone. Brings more hype, and you can discover two different characters at once, it's one of the few type of game I don't like playing alone. I might still try the solo mod this winter

lol didn't even pay attention to the ps2 comment. Dark alliance is fun as well, I only play it multiplayer too, but it's quite different from arcanum :P
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

arriah wrote:Ugh. While I'm talking about Imperials I would just like to say that Skyrim stole Redguard's plot.

Did you enjoy skyrim though?
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Jerom wrote:
arriah wrote:Ugh. While I'm talking about Imperials I would just like to say that Skyrim stole Redguard's plot.

No :/ I wanted to so bad. It pissed me off too lol. It was the only present I had gotten in years and I played it for like 24 hours straight then I was like ...... This sucks :c
Every time I try to play it again to give it a chance I just get too bored within 2 hours.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

arriah wrote:
Jerom wrote:

No :/ I wanted to so bad. It pissed me off too lol. It was the only present I had gotten in years and I played it for like 24 hours straight then I was like ...... This sucks :c
Every time I try to play it again to give it a chance I just get too bored within 2 hours.

oh, I enjoyed it a lot personally.

Which might mean I could enjoy fallout 4 haha.