Thoughts on Fallout 4

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Thoughts on Fallout 4

Post by deleted_user0 »

i am not critizing you, i am asking you for your reasons. You are free not to play the game for whatever reason, im just wondering why. Ofcourse if you dont want to discuss it, thats fine as well.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

arriah wrote:
gibson wrote:Umeu actually brings up an excellent point that we live in a culture where it's deemed appropriate to show and participate in murder and torture via movies video games etc while showing a pair of tits is taboo...... Seems pretty backwards to me....

I don't think breasts are bad at all, in fact I think it is totally possible and preferable that they not be sexualized at all. I'm not ashamed of women's bodies, I am upset at how they are used and commodified. Also, I personally don't want to see sexualized boobs while I'm playing a game and I'm not sorry if that hurts your feelings.

you can't not sexualise breasts, they are a part of our sexuality. the entire reason breasts exist in the shape and volume they do, is because of sex and its immediate consequences... and with breasts i mean mostly the swollen glands, not just the nipples.

also im not sure why you are excusing yourself, its fine for you to have your opinion, but if these things cant be discussed, then it will actually promote misunderstandings and ill will, because people are generally not very warmly disposed towards things they dont know, and they cant know it if there cant be an inquiry about the subject.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

umeu wrote:
arriah wrote:
gibson wrote:Umeu actually brings up an excellent point that we live in a culture where it's deemed appropriate to show and participate in murder and torture via movies video games etc while showing a pair of tits is taboo...... Seems pretty backwards to me....

I don't think breasts are bad at all, in fact I think it is totally possible and preferable that they not be sexualized at all. I'm not ashamed of women's bodies, I am upset at how they are used and commodified. Also, I personally don't want to see sexualized boobs while I'm playing a game and I'm not sorry if that hurts your feelings.

you can't not sexualise breasts, they are a part of our sexuality. the entire reason breasts exist in the shape and volume they do, is because of sex and its immediate consequences...

There are cultures where breasts are not sexualized so there's really no argument to be had. Boobs are for feeding babies, not making your dick happy.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

nipples are for feeding babies, boobs are to make my dick happy enough to produce babies. just because boobs are sexual doesnt mean they are taboo and should be hidden outside of view. thats just a very narrow and prude anglo-saxon attitude.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

umeu wrote:also im not sure why you are excusing yourself, its fine for you to have your opinion, but if these things cant be discussed, then it will actually promote misunderstandings and ill will, because people are generally not very warmly disposed towards things they dont know, and they cant know it if there cant be an inquiry about the subject.

I'm definitely not excusing myself. I'm not sure why "personal reasons" is not enough of an explanation. Personal reasons can be anything from 'I think boobs look icky' to 'someone slapped me in the face really hard with a boob once'-- that's not going to give you insight into anything.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

umeu wrote:nipples are for feeding babies, boobs are to make my dick happy enough to produce babies. just because boobs are sexual doesnt mean they are taboo and should be hidden outside of view. thats just a very narrow and prude anglo-saxon attitude.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I THINK YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO 6th GRADE HEALTH CLASS

what part of boobs aren't sexual do you not understand? We hide SEXUALIZED body parts because decency laws, which means that you are the one who wants them hidden.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

just because you say they arent sexual doesnt make it so. They are erogenous zones for example, and getting their breasts carressed and nipples sucked actually gives great sexual pleasure to many women, atleast in my experience. and one main scientific theory for the explanation of why only humans have such large swollen mamary glands is that they are supposed to be attractive to men (and the reason why humans have them and primates do not is because of the way sexual positions evolved for humans capable of walking on to feet, they started to do it face to face instead of doggy style). and to many men they are. even if the reason they are attractive to people only a result of culture, and not of nature, then you can still not deny that they are sexual, even if it varies from culture to culture. Even if they were only sexual to me and not to the rest of the world, i can make the claim that they are sexual and i dont see whats wrong with it. they are also tools for feeding babies, so what? as if they can't be for multiple things? feet can be sexual, or buttocks. Nobody will claim that its their only or even primary reason...

im also not sure why you are putting me on the spot for morals you dont even know i hold. where did i say that i want people to hide their boobs? or body parts?

in fact, the reason i asked you these questions is because i know you have strong opinions about these things, and i was hoping i could have a reasonable discussion with you, but it saddens me a bit how fast you are resorting to ridicule to avoid any discussion.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

umeu wrote:just because you say they arent sexual doesnt make it so. one main scientific theory for the explanation of why only humans have such large swollen mamary glands is that they are supposed to be attractive to men (and the reason why humans have them and primates do not is because of the way sexual positions evolved for humans capable of walking on to feet, they started to do it face to face instead of doggy style). and to many men they are. even if the reason they are attractive to people only a result of culture, and not of nature, then you can still not deny that they are sexual, even if it varies from culture to culture. Even if they were only sexual to me and not to the rest of the world, i can make the claim that they are sexual and i dont see whats wrong with it. they are also tools for feeding babies, so what? as if they can't be for multiple things? feet can be sexual, or buttocks. Nobody will claim that its their only or even primary reason...

im also not sure why you are putting me on the spot for morals you dont even know i hold. where did i say that i want people to hide their boobs? or body parts?

Actually, the fact that they are not sexualized in every culture is evidence that breasts are not inherently sexual. The only body parts that have an argument for inherent sexualization are genetalia. There are a zillion theories as to why women's breasts are the way they are. I can pull out 10 studies that invalidate yours. And, Yes, feet CAN be sexual, you can have a foot fetish and you can do sexual things with your feet, but that does not make them sexualized by our culture.

As for the last part, I may have misread your comment as you saying that viewing breasts as non-sexual meant they should be covered.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

its not that relevant whether they are inherently sexual. also im not sure what you mean by sexualized, if you mean that not every culture thinks they should be hidden then yes, i agree. but thats because thats a moral debate, and not a biological one. many (i think the majority) cultures throughout history however have found them to be sexual, and thats not very surprising since they actually contribute to sexual pleasure for most people (both male and female)...

It's not just our reproductive organs that have an argument for being sexualised, in other species its not uncommon to have parts of the body which have no direct relation at all to reproduction, but still exist specifically (atleast according to current scientific theories) to seduce the other sex. I agree with you directly that there can be a million other reasons why women have bigger boobs than other primates, there is no conclusive evidence towards either of them, but im just putting it out there because its not a very weird idea at all.

If culture decides our sexuality, which it very likely does to a great extent, then why are cultures that do not sexualise certain body parts better than cultures that do? whats wrong with a culture that sexualises body parts? AFAIK every part of the human body, and even other objects can be the subject of sexual desire. As long as you are free to not participate in that if you so wish, then there is no problem. I guess your objection comes from the fact that many people believe they have to participate, and they are most probably right in that to a certain extent (atleast in so far as the law goes), but thats not actually an argument against sexualising breasts, but rather an argument against intolerant aspects of a culture.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

umeu wrote:its not that relevant whether they are inherently sexual. also im not sure what you mean by sexualized, if you mean that not every culture thinks they should be hidden then yes, i agree. but thats because thats a moral debate, and not a biological one.

It's not just our reproductive organs that have an argument for being sexualised, in other species its not uncommon to have parts of the body which have no direct relation at all to reproduction, but still exist specifically (atleast according to current scientific theories) to seduce the other sex. I agree with you directly that there can be a million other reasons why women have bigger boobs than other primates, there is no conclusive evidence towards either of them, but im just putting it out there because its not a very weird idea at all.

If culture decides our sexuality, which it very likely does to a great extent, then why are cultures that do not sexualise certain body parts better than cultures that do? whats wrong with a culture that sexualises body parts? AFAIK every part of the human body, and even other objects can be the subject of sexual desire. As long as you are free to not participate in that if you so wish, then there is no problem. I guess your objection comes from the fact that many people believe they have to participate, and they are most probably right in that to a certain extent (atleast in so far as the law goes), but thats not actually an argument against sexualising breasts, but rather an argument against intolerant expects of a culture.

It's not that it's better or worse what's viewed as sexual in what culture, it's if it is used to police, objectify, and oppress women, which in our culture, it is.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

well, you are american afaik, and from all ive heard and experienced, its alot worse there than in western europe, and again alot more worse in middle eastern countries. but i dont see how denying the sexual aspect of breasts will help make it better. emphasizing that they are not just for that is fine, education about their other purposes, even better. but yelling that they are not sexual wont do much good in my opinion. humans are very much sexual beings, and i think its much better to be open about those things and discuss it, where all sides of the argument can be heard, rather than take such extreme stances.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

umeu wrote:well, you are american afaik, and from all ive heard and experienced, its alot worse there than in western europe, and again alot more worse in middle eastern countries. but i dont see how denying the sexual aspect of breasts will help make it better. emphasizing that they are not just for that is fine, education about their other purposes, even better. but yelling that they are not sexual wont do much good in my opinion. humans are very much sexual beings, and i think its much better to be open about those things and discuss it, where all sides of the argument can be heard, rather than take such extreme stances.

Interesting that you point out the middle east. I'm sure you see the correlation between sexualized bodies of women in certain countries there and sexual assaults. Again, it's not people finding breasts sexy that is the problem, it's that women are sexually harassed and assaulted over their bodies that others deem sexual just for existing, and whenever people try to address the issues that come with hyper-sexualization of women's bodies, we get shouted down by sexist assholes because "boobs are just sexual get over it, if you don't want to be harassed then don't flaunt your tits" which is just wrong, ignores the issue, and blames women for being harassed and assaulted.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

arriah wrote:
umeu wrote:well, you are american afaik, and from all ive heard and experienced, its alot worse there than in western europe, and again alot more worse in middle eastern countries. but i dont see how denying the sexual aspect of breasts will help make it better. emphasizing that they are not just for that is fine, education about their other purposes, even better. but yelling that they are not sexual wont do much good in my opinion. humans are very much sexual beings, and i think its much better to be open about those things and discuss it, where all sides of the argument can be heard, rather than take such extreme stances.

Interesting that you point out the middle east. I'm sure you see the correlation between sexualized bodies of women in certain countries there and sexual assaults. Again, it's not people finding breasts sexy that is the problem, it's that women are sexually harassed and assaulted over their bodies that others deem sexual just for existing, and whenever people try to address the issues that come with hyper-sexualization of women's bodies, we get shouted down by sexist assholes because "boobs are just sexual get over it, if you don't want to be harassed then don't flaunt your tits" which is just wrong, ignores the issue, and blames women for being harassed and assaulted.

i see the correlation, but correlation is not causation. and as you say, the sexualisation is not the root of the problem, its closer to a symptom, even though its not entirely that. the problem is as you say, the fact the attitude of some people towards women, and im convinced this is partly due to a lack of education and an excess of taboo on the subject in the west. but in the middle east its simply that women are regarded as inferior, as they are by some people in the west as well, the sexualisation of certain body parts has very little to do with that (what i mean to say is that im pretty sure that the idea to hide them as not to tempt the men is something that came after the idea that men are superior to women and purer because of biblical reasons, not the other way around). i dont see a problem with pointing out the fact that we should think about the unwanted consequences of using a pair of boobs to promote beer, but marketeers didnt invent that sex sells, they are just abusing the fact that it does. so i would agree with the part where it says, boobs are sexual (for some people), but obviously, the second part that follows is completely false. it indeed ignores the issue, but so does trying to deny the fact that breasts are or can be sexual. highlighting its use as a tool for opression is fine, exploring in how far it promotes mysogenic behaviour if not accompanied with proper moral guidance is fine as well, but trying to desexualise them i think is making the wrong statement (aka the reason why you shouldnt assault a woman is because you respect her right to be herself in the public sphere, not because you dont find her boobs sexy). ofcourse if you dont find boobs sexual, thats up to you, personally im more attracted to a nice ass.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

umeu wrote:
arriah wrote:

i see the correlation, but correlation is not causation. and as you say, the sexualisation is not the root of the problem, its closer to a symptom, even though its not entirely that. the problem is as you say, the fact the attitude of some people towards women, and im convinced this is partly due to a lack of education and an excess of taboo on the subject in the west. but in the middle east its simply that women are regarded as inferior, as they are by some people in the west as well, the sexualisation of certain body parts has very little to do with that (what i mean to say is that im pretty sure that the idea to hide them as not to tempt the men is something that came after the idea that men are superior to women and purer because of biblical reasons, not the other way around). i dont see a problem with pointing out the fact that we should think about the unwanted consequences of using a pair of boobs to promote beer, but marketeers didnt invent that sex sells, they are just abusing the fact that it does. so i would agree with the part where it says, boobs are sexual (for some people), but obviously, the second part that follows is completely false. it indeed ignores the issue, but so does trying to deny the fact that breasts are or can be sexual. highlighting its use as a tool for opression is fine, exploring in how far it promotes mysogenic behaviour if not accompanied with proper moral guidance is fine as well, but trying to desexualise them i think is making the wrong statement (aka the reason why you shouldnt assault a woman is because you respect her right to be herself in the public sphere, not because you dont find her boobs sexy). ofcourse if you dont find boobs sexual, thats up to you, personally im more attracted to a nice ass.

I think our disagreement is that I'm talking about a culture's hypersexualization not people finding individually finding things sexy. I don't get what you mean by "trying to deny the fact that breasts can be sexual" because to my knowledge literally no one is arguing that. I did say several times that body parts being viewed as sexual is not an issue itself, but how it is used to oppress women, and I didn't say that correlation is causation, just pointing out that some middle eastern cultures view women's whole bodies as sexual they use this to blame harass and assault women and force them to cover themselves fully and take their abuse silently because "it's not [their] fault they find women's bodies sexy and irresistible, it's just natural" (I think my though got interrupted and this isn't complete so I am saying that there are parallels between how they treat women and hypersexualization here and there, even though ours is obviously to a much lesser extent)

sorry if that doesn't fully make sense
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i am aware that you are talking about cultures, but i think you can't disassociate a culture from the people that make up that culture, and those people have desires which do not stem solely from cultural upbringing. The point i tried to make is that they arent surpressing women because they view them sexually (which i think has more dominant biological reasons), they are however using sexuality as a reason to validate their oppression and they are using ignorance about sexuality as a tool to supress. (and while there is no arguing that women are more surpressed in islamic countries, im not sure if they also sexualise women more. ) I would say, what youd want to achieve is that people stop to harrass and opress women out of respect, and not because they no longer view or can view women as sexual objects, even though both will have the same effect.

but ye, i guess this discussion has ran its course now mainly, unless you have an interesting new point to raise
No Flag Hermione Weasley
Crossbow

Post by Hermione Weasley »

Ive played fallout 4 for nearly 45 hours on the PC, I'd give the game a 7/10.

Decent sound track, not amazing.
Enemies are smarter and are more unique then previous games. However power armor is overpowered and playing the game on very hard feels easy when you're in power armor.
Side quests are meh. I've only played 45 hours... but so far 90% of side quests are fetch quests. Jurys still out on this one cuz I'm sure Ive only scratched the surface.

Modding is dope, and making use of junk to build various mods is dope.
Youre not stuck with a single weapon class in fallout 4 like you are in previous games.

Quest writing is annoying. Lots of plot holes and shit that just doesn't make sense.
i.e. brotherhood sends you on a quest to find a recon team thats been missing for 3 years. they havent been able to send their own rescue party because they lacked the man power for a grid search... so they give you a gps tracker that leads you to their location and they have all been freshly killed. zzzzzz. shiity intern writing

the fucking game really tries to suck you off every chance it gets. youve been out of the vault for two days? "omg youre that legendary hero that ive heard so much about!"
free one settlement? hey now youre the fucking minuteman general, you lead the entire commonwealth minutemen, but dont worry, you literally dont need to do anything.
clear some ghouls out of a parking lot? the brotherhood leader wants to talk to YOU specifically to lead his campaign blah blah blah.

game tries way too hard to make you feel good and flatter you. im constantly rolling my eyes at the bullshit these npcs are spouting. its like the game is cattering to real life losers that need a video game to boost their self worth. jesus.

explosions are fucking amaze balls. 10/10.

no question there is like 5x more content then previous games. i see myself easily spending 120 hrs exploring and shit.

ill probably enjoy the game more in hindsight, but right now its too overhyped and im a bit let down by the poor writing
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Hermione Weasley wrote:Ive played fallout 4 for nearly 45 hours on the PC, I'd give the game a 7/10.
Youre not stuck with a single weapon class in fallout 4 like you are in previous games.

do you mean because in the older ones you will tend to use small guns or because you can pick up any weapon and b insta-expert with it?

umeu wrote:i am aware that you are talking about cultures, but i think you can't disassociate a culture from the people that make up that culture, and those people have desires which do not stem solely from cultural upbringing.

Of course you can't "dissociate a culture from the people" and that's the point. The people in the culture continue to perpetuate the sexualized shit and the violence. No, not everyone is the same and can view things differently from how they were raised, but pretending that socialization doesn't have a huge impact on people's beings is ridiculous.

umeu wrote:The point i tried to make is that they arent surpressing women because they view them sexually (which i think has more dominant biological reasons), they are however using sexuality as a reason to validate their oppression and they are using ignorance about sexuality as a tool to supress. (and while there is no arguing that women are more surpressed in islamic countries, im not sure if they also sexualise women more. )

um that's what I'm saying. (but women in certain middle easter cultures absolutely have more of their body sexualized which is why they are forced to wear burqas. Think Victorian and older, women's ankles were sexualized so had to be covered, and think of 40s pin-up porn, women wearing clothes no more revealing than todays average woman would wear in the summer. do ankles make you horny?)

umeu wrote:I would say, what youd want to achieve is that people stop to harrass and opress women out of respect, and not because they no longer view or can view women as sexual objects, even though both will have the same effect.

Obviously, but viewing women as sexual objects (objectification) IS NOT respect, so it's' asking the same thing.

Also, this is pretty after the fact, but that "nipples are an erogenous zone" argument is such BS. Men's nipples are also erogenous. Neck, shoulder, forearm, ears, etc (pretty much everywhere covered by skin) also erogenous. That doesn't make them sexual.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

arriah wrote:Of course you can't "dissociate a culture from the people" and that's the point. The people in the culture continue to perpetuate the sexualized shit and the violence. No, not everyone is the same and can view things differently from how they were raised, but pretending that socialization doesn't have a huge impact on people's beings is ridiculous.

Obviously society, aka the values you have been raised in and the enviremont you grew up in, influences what people that society will "produce", but the opposite is true as well. And it's equally ridiculous to ignore our biologic disposition in this issue. I feel this is the problem we have here, you are so immersed in a terminology (which i feel sometimes just puts ation behind every word and then blows it up) i refuse to accept and find inadequate to describe the problem that is going and has been going on, perhaps since the dawn of society.

um that's what I'm saying. (but women in certain middle easter cultures absolutely have more of their body sexualized which is why they are forced to wear burqas. Think Victorian and older, women's ankles were sexualized so had to be covered, and think of 40s pin-up porn, women wearing clothes no more revealing than todays average woman would wear in the summer. do ankles make you horny?)

Now i'm just getting confused as to what sexualisation is supposed to mean. Because it feels to me you have been using it in a few ways, which do not entirely correspond. A quick google search gives me this: "Sexualization is linked to sexual objectification. According to the American Psychological Association, sexualization occurs when "individuals are regarded as sex objects and evaluated in terms of their physical characteristics and sexiness. In study after study, findings have indicated that women more often than men are portrayed in a sexual manner (e.g., dressed in revealing clothing, with bodily postures or facial expressions that imply sexual readiness) and are objectified (e.g., used as a decorative object, or as body parts rather than a whole person). In addition, a narrow (and unrealistic) standard of physical beauty is heavily emphasized." If you take this definition, then I think there is no arguing that this is happening in modern western society more often than in the arab countries. Because although there they are too regarded as (sex) objects, but they are trying not to portray them in a sexual, very much the opposite. Also because they have less of a visual culture than ours (traditionally anyway), you atleast have to rework the objectification part as well.

It seems to assume that when you identify less of the body directly with sexuality, that it should lead to a more emancipated society. And I think history disproves the idea that the more women are sexualised or objectified sexually (which is the same?) it will lead to more of the body being covered up by decency laws. Because if we take for example, my mothers tribe, where its normal for women to walk around barechested, and where nobody will be surprised by people (men and women alike) to walk around with no more than the equivalent of a skirt or shorts, it would be wrong to assume that women are any more free there than they are in western europe. Or that sexual assault etc is less common.

Obviously, but viewing women as sexual objects (objectification) IS NOT respect, so it's' asking the same thing.
I admitted it asks for the same thing, but they are opposite in approach. When you view women just as sexual objects you don't respect them as subjects of the law, for which we are all equal and which is the fundamental principle of justice and democracy. But there is simply no escaping that we regard people as a means to an end (which is what objectification is in the end), sexually or otherwise. Problems start to arise when thats the only aspect of their nature that you see.
No Flag Hermione Weasley
Crossbow

arriah wrote:
Hermione Weasley wrote:Ive played fallout 4 for nearly 45 hours on the PC, I'd give the game a 7/10.

do you mean because in the older ones you will tend to use small guns or because you can pick up any weapon and b insta-expert with it?

in the older games you had to grind a weapon class from like 10 to 100, which could take like 10-20 level ups depending on your intelligence and how you were distributing your points with your other classes. so you basically decided whether you were going to use melee, laser, or guns at the beginning of the game and pretty much had to stick with that class for the majority of the game.

in fallout 4 all you need is 1-2 perks and bam you can use anything you want. i dig
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Hermione Weasley wrote:
arriah wrote:

in the older games you had to grind a weapon class from like 10 to 100, which could take like 10-20 level ups depending on your intelligence and how you were distributing your points with your other classes. so you basically decided whether you were going to use melee, laser, or guns at the beginning of the game and pretty much had to stick with that class for the majority of the game.

in fallout 4 all you need is 1-2 perks and bam you can use anything you want. i dig

I guess that's personal preference; I prefer specialized characters that increase replayability...

But man, IDK what character builds you're making, I was just replaying Fallout 1 a couple days ago and I have several skills past 100 at level 8(? Can't remember but it was low) and got energy weapons from 10-50 something in 2 levels, though I had high intelligence, it shouldn't be taking you ten levels unless you're playing a savant. Also, energy weapons is the only weapon skill (any skill?) that will be at 10 because your SPECIAL affect the other skills and your char has no previous training.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I must admit its fun if there are like a few global paths in terms of leveling and building your character. I spend more time than I am willing to admit planning out my builds and trying to optimize it. In skyrim I played (like most people) as a thief, mage and warrior and as some hybrids. In dark souls Ive played as mage, cleric, strength guy, dexterity guy, quality builds and other hybrids. It really increases replayability.
No Flag Hermione Weasley
Crossbow

arriah wrote:
Hermione Weasley wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I guess that's personal preference; I prefer specialized characters that increase replayability...

But man, IDK what character builds you're making, I was just replaying Fallout 1 a couple days ago and I have several skills past 100 at level 8(? Can't remember but it was low) and got energy weapons from 10-50 something in 2 levels, though I had high intelligence, it shouldn't be taking you ten levels unless you're playing a savant. Also, energy weapons is the only weapon skill (any skill?) that will be at 10 because your SPECIAL affect the other skills and your char has no previous training.

well i usually leveled 4-5 skills at the same time, never focusing on JUST one. so id have say, 17 pts to spend per level up, and theyd need to be divided among treat injury, speachcraft, repair, melee, and lockpicking. so yeah it goes pretty slow. also i play on the hardest difficulty which may force me into more balanced characters with less flexibility to focus on one trait... idk
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Hermione Weasley wrote:well i usually leveled 4-5 skills at the same time, never focusing on JUST one. so id have say, 17 pts to spend per level up, and theyd need to be divided among treat injury, speachcraft, repair, melee, and lockpicking. so yeah it goes pretty slow. also i play on the hardest difficulty which may force me into more balanced characters with less flexibility to focus on one trait... idk

Hmm I also play on hardest. Do you get the gifted perk or whatever it's called? I don't see how going jack of all trades can be great, because then you kind of suck at everything. I just focus on one or two at a time. I went with small guns science and repair as tag, got small guns to 95 then got science and repair up, then speech around 60 when I realized I needed energy weapon and got that to 70 or so and poured points into first aid at some point. I was able to wipe the Khans or whatever straight out of the vault easily. Since I played it so long ago I didnt remember what I needed, but you can have a way better build I'm sure since you don't really need repair or science at first. Plus you can get the skills books to help out if you really need.

Do you play other "older" RPGs?