Let's settle this: do vaccines cause autism?

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

Do vaccines cause autism?

Vaccines don't cause autism, it's genetic
89%
Vaccines cause autism, I've seen it happen to a friend's kid
11%

Total votes: 35

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: Let's settle this: do vaccines cause autism?

Post by zoom »

Autism by definition has nothing to do with retardation (although it is more prevalent among autists). Weirdness also does not translate to Autism.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Can we please ban this pollock guy? His last twenty posts have just been unblemished insults aimed against the other users here.
Top quality poster.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Laurence Drake wrote:Can we please ban this pollock guy? His last twenty posts have just been unblemished insults aimed against the other users here.

the mods are probably busy opening gifts. but hopefully after that lol
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

jacksonpollock wrote:
thebritish wrote:
noissance wrote:Exactly, we have the infamous species known as Jacksonpollock, which denies it's own problems by projecting said problems on others through the internet, called JacksonDisorder

Your signature makes me laugh

Look everyone, one of the retards is here!

lol
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

fightinfrenchman wrote:mods can we please delete this? i know it's christmas but there must be at least one mod online

This.

I don't think people who have suffered with autism would think this is funny.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Isn't this the same guy who said métis should get aborted?
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

I'm american, pretty much everything Zoom posted here is correct.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
United States of America jacksonpollock
Dragoon

Post by jacksonpollock »

dicktator_ wrote:I'm american, pretty much everything Zoom posted here is correct.

Interesting point, faggot.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

jacksonpollock wrote:
dicktator_ wrote:I'm american, pretty much everything Zoom posted here is correct.

Lel it's not even an argument, vaccines simply don't cause autism.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
United States of America jacksonpollock
Dragoon

Post by jacksonpollock »

dicktator_ wrote:
jacksonpollock wrote:

Be honest with me, how big is your neckbeard?
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

jacksonpollock wrote:
dicktator_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Be honest with me, how big is your neckbeard?

Changing the subject now Mr pollock?
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No, it can't be. I'm not even sure autism is a disorder. More likely nature is trying out new avenues for development for our species. And autism is one of those experimental directions, which match very closely our environments.
There is some evidence that higher rates of autism are found in professions with a high degree of technicality, like science, IT, programming, etc. So, autism is probably a side effect of a new adaptation which allows our brains to cope with a new level of cognition. This comes at the cost of diminished affective aptitudes: lower empathy, difficulty in making your way through everyday social interactions (because they require some degree of affective deception and manipulation: "Hi :) " "Hi 8-)" "How are you?" "Great :mrgreen:" (not really) etc), low tolerance to frustration (therefore tantrums), and so on.

High-functioning autism has some stuff in common with psychopathy, I think, you would expect some high-functioning autists to run businesses, labs, etc. The common stuff would be a lack of affective attachment to any people and a keen focus on controlling everything.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Autism isn't a disorder per se. It's an umbrella diagnosis of a broad range of disorders.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, autism gets lumped together with Aspergers' a lot.
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

There is overwhelming scientific consensus that they don't but of course some people will think they do no matter the evidence. Same idiots who don't believe in evolution or that the earth is round. . .
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The brains of people that have true autism (and not the popular definition if autism) are actually wired differently from the normal human brain. Thats why they do not merely perform worse at certain aspects (social skills) but also do better at others (like finding patterns).
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

I like this questions, becouse they are in my job's area.
absolutelyno, vaccine can't cause it, autism is a genetic disease.
Vaccins before being usend in human's cases are tested for likes 10-15 years (except in case of total uncontrolling of s disease, like Ebola in Africa in past mounths), they will be used only when they are certificates safety for human and enviroment. Autism is a genetic sickness, and is due from a wrong nucleotide'languages in the DNA. Who needs some information about nutrition, biology, medical just ask me dude^^
Pizza, spaghetti, maccheroni, mandolino e tua mamma :flowers:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Let's just remember that decisions on what is a mental disorder are sort of political, these things are decided by some committees from big psychological and psychiatric associations, such as the American one (APA). Their decisions are based on social norms, so if some types of people show behaviours which break social norms constantly and are shown to be detrimental to that person, this kind of behaviours is classified as a disorder. It's not like in medical science, where a disorder is something which makes you feel ill or likely to die.

Autism for example, doesn't make anyone feel ill or doesn't increase their chances to die because of it, it just screws with their capacity to be social. So, it's classified as a disorder. And of course, when there are clear differences in behaviour between some groups of people, you will find some genetic correlations which support them, but that doesn't mean nature creates genetically defective people (this rarely happens). Autism is a disorder only because we classify it so, and the genetic correlations are only relevant because we decided this should be treated as a disorder.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

purplesquid wrote:There is overwhelming scientific consensus that they don't but of course some people will think they do no matter the evidence. Same idiots who don't believe in evolution or that the earth is round. . .

This is where ignorant idiots would do well to lessen their ignorance and idiocy or simply accept things. Alas, they are typically too ignorant and idiotic to do either option.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

interesting related material. for those that take the red pill

https://www.facebook.com/16175416685290 ... 908815276/
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:Let's just remember that decisions on what is a mental disorder are sort of political, these things are decided by some committees from big psychological and psychiatric associations, such as the American one (APA). Their decisions are based on social norms, so if some types of people show behaviours which break social norms constantly and are shown to be detrimental to that person, this kind of behaviours is classified as a disorder. It's not like in medical science, where a disorder is something which makes you feel ill or likely to die.

Autism for example, doesn't make anyone feel ill or doesn't increase their chances to die because of it, it just screws with their capacity to be social. So, it's classified as a disorder. And of course, when there are clear differences in behaviour between some groups of people, you will find some genetic correlations which support them, but that doesn't mean nature creates genetically defective people (this rarely happens). Autism is a disorder only because we classify it so, and the genetic correlations are only relevant because we decided this should be treated as a disorder.
Autism can do a lot more than just screw with someone's capacity to be social.
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, but for the sake of avoiding anyone getting bored with the subject I simplified the spectrum of symptoms. The argument remains that autism is not detrimental to someone's health per se, but it does affect someone's ability to be social.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

It sometimes feels 'society' uses the word autism to insult/describe people that arent quite the social masterminds of the world, which is not really justified since autism is a pretty specific disorder as far as I know.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:Yeah, but for the sake of avoiding anyone getting bored with the subject I simplified the spectrum of symptoms. The argument remains that autism is not detrimental to someone's health per se, but it does affect someone's ability to be social.

Only if you define 'health' strictly in terms of what happens to the body outside of the brain, which is way too narrow. Mental health is just as important to a good life as bodily health.
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No, I didn't define that. Someone with autism doesn't feel distress if they live in isolation. Their distress is caused by having to deal with social stuff. So, in itself, autism doesn't make someone feel sick, if they live in isolation or if they live only in the company of a few people they tolerate (people with similar interests, family, caretakers, etc).