how often should i change my oil

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

how long to change oil

3000 miles
25%
4000 miles
No votes
5000 miles
No votes
6000 miles
13%
12000 miles
13%
every 3 months
No votes
every 6 months
25%
other
25%

Total votes: 8

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

how often should i change my oil

Post by fightinfrenchman »

so my poor mitsubishi gallant has been through quite a lot recently. of course we had the big DC trip then the trip to dr. d1ck's house then i went an hour and a half way in another direction on the same day. so my car has been pretty much all over the place. i've always heard you should change oil every 3000 miles but i think that's too soon. it's been about 6 or 7 thousand miles right now so should i wait longer or just bite the bullet?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: how often should i change my oil

Post by Jaeger »

Don't wait longer than 5000
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

ovi12 wrote:Don't wait longer than 5000

well its a little late for that.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The idea that you have to change your oil every 3000 miles is a myth pushed by the people who change your oil to get more business. In reality, your cars oil filter will last much longer than that, a normal car will not loose hardly any oil in that time period, and the oil is still very usable after 3000 miles. Of course there is nothing wrong with getting your oil changed every 3000 miles, but that's 30$ down the drain (if you're a Sams club member, probably more if you're not) that doesn't really need to be spent. While I'm not intimately familiar with the Gallant, I would bet money that it would not need an oil change under 8000 thousand miles and would not be surprised if it was closer to 10 or 12. However, some quick internet research would give you better and more reliable information that what I can, so I would suggest turning there.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

gibson wrote:The idea that you have to change your oil every 3000 miles is a myth pushed by the people who change your oil to get more business. In reality, your cars oil filter will last much longer than that, a normal car will not loose hardly any oil in that time period, and the oil is still very usable after 3000 miles. Of course there is nothing wrong with getting your oil changed every 3000 miles, but that's 30$ down the drain (if you're a Sams club member, probably more if you're not) that doesn't really need to be spent. While I'm not intimately familiar with the Gallant, I would bet money that it would not need an oil change under 8000 thousand miles and would not be surprised if it was closer to 10 or 12. However, some quick internet research would give you better and more reliable information that what I can, so I would suggest turning there.

I don't know about specific cars but I change my oil every 5000 miles and it's already completely black by then. I don't think the filter itself is the only problem.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

well dr. d1ck said something similar, he said some can go past 10,000 miles without any issues. I mean i will probably change it soon but i would imagine it's not causing any damage. you should be familiar with the mitsubishi galant it is quite the reliable car. i've taken it on multiple adventures and it is still going fine
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

fightinfrenchman wrote:well dr. d1ck said something similar, he said some can go past 10,000 miles without any issues. I mean i will probably change it soon but i would imagine it's not causing any damage. you should be familiar with the mitsubishi galant it is quite the reliable car. i've taken it on multiple adventures and it is still going fine

I did a quick google search, if you're interested in the exact number for your car apparently you can find it in your vehicle manual.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ovi12 wrote:
gibson wrote:The idea that you have to change your oil every 3000 miles is a myth pushed by the people who change your oil to get more business. In reality, your cars oil filter will last much longer than that, a normal car will not loose hardly any oil in that time period, and the oil is still very usable after 3000 miles. Of course there is nothing wrong with getting your oil changed every 3000 miles, but that's 30$ down the drain (if you're a Sams club member, probably more if you're not) that doesn't really need to be spent. While I'm not intimately familiar with the Gallant, I would bet money that it would not need an oil change under 8000 thousand miles and would not be surprised if it was closer to 10 or 12. However, some quick internet research would give you better and more reliable information that what I can, so I would suggest turning there.

I don't know about specific cars but I change my oil every 5000 miles and it's already completely black by then. I don't think the filter itself is the only problem.
The oil is completely black after 1000 miles. Probably after 100 miles actually. By this time it has been cycled through the engine so many times its bound to have picked up some dirt. But just because it's got a small amount of dirt in it does not mean it's lost its properties of lubrication. @frenchman it should actually say in your owners Manuel what the oil cycle is.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Well the manual is in my car and i don't want to go outside right now because I'm in bed and its cold but I think I'll check tomorrow. But how do i know they're not in bed with the oil companies and feed me some lie?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iNcog wrote:It's 30k km, so 18k miles, roughly for my cars. maybe i'm wrong? sounds a lot more than what's being said in this thread

though maybe it's different for gasoline cars?

maybe i have the actual number wrong. we keep a log for that stuff. i hate changing oil.

You use diesel?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iNcog wrote:of course i do, i'm french

Ah. Here in the US only a few drive diesel vehicles. These people are generally shunned by society and referred to as "untouchables'. [13]
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

your gainz aint loyal
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Every 6 months has worked for me
Error 404: Signature not found
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

I can't answer this because all the options are in miles, which are dumb as shit.
Taunt 3
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

DivineFire wrote:I can't answer this because all the options are in miles, which are dumb as shit.

Ugh Europeans
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

Wrong, guess again.
Taunt 3
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

DivineFire wrote:Wrong, guess again.

Why not just convert the miles into a unit you are more familiar with? Would be much more useful post than just saying something is "dumb as shit."
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

Do you actually stand behind what you're saying? Or just look for every opportunity to make me look like an ass because I banned your friend in times past? I know a large stack of Americans that agree that miles are a dumb unit of measurement.
Taunt 3
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

DivineFire wrote:Do you actually stand behind what you're saying? Or just look for every opportunity to make me look like an ass because I banned your friend in times past? I know a large stack of Americans that agree that miles are a dumb unit of measurement.

Some things I post in jest, yeah, but I don't see what is wrong with what I just said. Miles are not that bad, just because you dislike them don't act like hundreds of millions of people who use them are dumb.
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

I never once made an attack on the people that use the measurement. Please clear your arguments of blatant logical fallacies before posting.
Taunt 3
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

DivineFire wrote:I never once made an attack on the people that use the measurement. Please clear your arguments of blatant logical fallacies before posting.

Regardless it wasn't a useful contribution to the conversation.
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

This is the off topic board, where the basement demons post counts may flourish as they don't need to make useful contributions.
Taunt 3
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Divinefire only wishes he could come to the basement.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums