See ya

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
France krichk
Musketeer
ESO: AAAzzz___

Re: See ya

Post by krichk »

Le Dragon wrote:Too many people these days are convinced that the importance of having a 'safe space' where nobody's feelings get hurt is greater than the importance of sincere, thoughtful discussion.

And too many people don't realize that a conversation can be both sincere and civil. I mean look at iNcog for instance he clearly says it when he disagrees with someone but manage to do so without flaming anybody.
No need to be nice with everybody though, if flaming is part of what you consider to be a friendly relationship then it's perfectly fine to play that game with your friends but no need to harass other people.
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Post by medinos »

Instead of just having 1-2 admins here you have alot of but licking dillweeds who can suck my umbrella...
Mmmmm yeah...
The community is falling apart because of some assholes of admins..
Ah yeahhh idiots ah yeahhh dumb piece of shit...
I love english language..
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

iNcog wrote:Focus less on the past (and possible mistakes which might have been made) and more on now & the future.

It's important to learn from the past
Top quality poster.
France krichk
Musketeer
ESO: AAAzzz___

Post by krichk »

medinos wrote:Instead of just having 1-2 admins here you have alot of but licking dillweeds who can suck my umbrella...
Mmmmm yeah...

You make no sense free speech includes the right to freely lick admins butthole lol.
Why would it be healthy for the community to flame admins and toxic to support them seriously that's stupid
Lancer

Post by medinos »

krichk wrote:
medinos wrote:Instead of just having 1-2 admins here you have alot of but licking dillweeds who can suck my umbrella...
Mmmmm yeah...

You make no sense free speech includes the right to freely lick admins butthole lol.
Why would it be healthy for the community to flame admins and toxic to support them seriously that's the most stupid thing I've heard and I hear it way too often

I like to do what I think is the best thing to do..
So if you have problems with my to do then face my to do...
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Mmmmm yeah...

Yesh good medinos, umbrella sucking
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

krichk wrote:
Mmmmm yeah...

Why would it be healthy for the community to flame admins and toxic to support them seriously that's the most stupid thing I've heard and I hear it way too often

If sucking dick is what makes people happy, then why not let them do that?
Top quality poster.
Lancer

Post by medinos »

People call me Sparrow..
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

medinos wrote:People call me Sparrow..

No they don't
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

Question for any site developers: Could the forums have a setting for censored and uncensored content? I think what people say is more honest when it is allowed to be posted and remains up. I do understand this creates a problem with post count something people hold dear for no real reason.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

91 wrote:
iNcog wrote:I think it's better that people say why they leave actually, that way we know where things stand.

I know that several people have left ESOC out of frustration and this to me is at least somewhat alarming. I feel like there are some people which are very well at home at ESOC, but that we also alienate other groups of people. I very well wish to have heart-to-heart talks with those people and try to come to an understanding.

Just look at Blackstar_OP. I've also heard rumors of veni not liking how things are done at ESOC. Musketjr? Stanley_winston? Metis used to post very actively and now just pops up to tell people about trolls.

Problem with ESOC is that we've often felt that we were doing things right without a shade of doubt, when in reality I think that some people have had pent-up frustration build up in themselves.

Most of the forum users don't particularly like dragon (personally I do like him, even though I disagree with a lot of his idea), so unfortunately this to me is ESOC alienating yet another person, yet no one is going to care because "well, no one likes that guy anyway" or "well, the off topic section is a trash section anyway so who cares that people who only post there leave". This to me is not very inclusive and it goes against one of the core values of ESOC, which is being an inclusive community hub for anyone to pop in.

Now, just to be fair, I really think that most of what ESOC does is done very well.

I'm not a moderator, just a site developer, but I did help out as a mod before. I got moderators, admins, and regular users on my side before taking some decisions to lock threads/delete posts with harsh content, and I thought it was a really obvious decision to do so. But the amount hate in PMs, and flames I have received for so few actions made me quit that path. I really admire the mods here how much shit they can take, and we should all value that if you ask me.

Of course we must be able to joke around, but usually the more quite ones like stricter rules, and the spammers (I don't mean this word as negative) like a bit more open attitude. I see reports coming in, and everyone has to realize that people have different thresholds for what is considered crossing the line on a forum. The elite posters are probably also (usually) more used to flame, and they can take more. But the fresh ones don't realy enjoy it and might take it a bit more personal.

Sad that people are leaving, but in order to run tournaments and other events I don't think flaming should be part of it, but rather keep it at civil discussions and useful content for readers (not just posters). I hope that you can also see the perspective from the eyes of the moderators, with the difficult task of keeping everyone with different opinions happy. The ones complaining about flaming usually don't do so openly, because they will get flamed obviously.

See ya, but maybe you will check in again later on. Who knows, maybe the policies are different and more to your liking later on.

THANK YOU

none of my friends want to touch this forum because a lot of really disgusting things fly, but everyone is to scared to moderate it because then people will get angry about "them filthy es-jay-double-yews" and "PC police" (because they think that people who are not appreciating descriptions of and jokes about rape, racist memes, homophobic slurs, and anti semitic comments are just too sensitive and "INFRINGING UPON MY FREEZE PEACH GOSH DARN IT!")

I realize that it is alarming to see some of the people who are really intolerant up and leaving, especially since the number of posters on this site is small, but if you make it ACTUALLY inclusive, you may gain way more users than you expect..

I think it was a good direction to create the moderation thread, and I was close to leaving as well, because this place has been pretty toxic, but knowing that Divine Fire and H20 do take our criticisms seriously and have a plan to improve in this aspect, I feel a bit more welcome.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

arriah wrote:
91 wrote:
iNcog wrote:I think it's better that people say why they leave actually, that way we know where things stand.

I know that several people have left ESOC out of frustration and this to me is at least somewhat alarming. I feel like there are some people which are very well at home at ESOC, but that we also alienate other groups of people. I very well wish to have heart-to-heart talks with those people and try to come to an understanding.

Just look at Blackstar_OP. I've also heard rumors of veni not liking how things are done at ESOC. Musketjr? Stanley_winston? Metis used to post very actively and now just pops up to tell people about trolls.

Problem with ESOC is that we've often felt that we were doing things right without a shade of doubt, when in reality I think that some people have had pent-up frustration build up in themselves.

Most of the forum users don't particularly like dragon (personally I do like him, even though I disagree with a lot of his idea), so unfortunately this to me is ESOC alienating yet another person, yet no one is going to care because "well, no one likes that guy anyway" or "well, the off topic section is a trash section anyway so who cares that people who only post there leave". This to me is not very inclusive and it goes against one of the core values of ESOC, which is being an inclusive community hub for anyone to pop in.

Now, just to be fair, I really think that most of what ESOC does is done very well.

I'm not a moderator, just a site developer, but I did help out as a mod before. I got moderators, admins, and regular users on my side before taking some decisions to lock threads/delete posts with harsh content, and I thought it was a really obvious decision to do so. But the amount hate in PMs, and flames I have received for so few actions made me quit that path. I really admire the mods here how much shit they can take, and we should all value that if you ask me.

Of course we must be able to joke around, but usually the more quite ones like stricter rules, and the spammers (I don't mean this word as negative) like a bit more open attitude. I see reports coming in, and everyone has to realize that people have different thresholds for what is considered crossing the line on a forum. The elite posters are probably also (usually) more used to flame, and they can take more. But the fresh ones don't realy enjoy it and might take it a bit more personal.

Sad that people are leaving, but in order to run tournaments and other events I don't think flaming should be part of it, but rather keep it at civil discussions and useful content for readers (not just posters). I hope that you can also see the perspective from the eyes of the moderators, with the difficult task of keeping everyone with different opinions happy. The ones complaining about flaming usually don't do so openly, because they will get flamed obviously.

See ya, but maybe you will check in again later on. Who knows, maybe the policies are different and more to your liking later on.

THANK YOU

none of my friends want to touch this forum because a lot of really disgusting things fly, but everyone is to scared to moderate it because then people will get angry about "them filthy es-jay-double-yews" and "PC police" (because they think that people who are not appreciating descriptions of and jokes about rape, racist memes, homophobic slurs, and anti semitic comments are just too sensitive and "INFRINGING UPON MY FREEZE PEACH GOSH DARN IT!")

I realize that it is alarming to see some of the people who are really intolerant up and leaving, especially since the number of posters on this site is small, but if you make it ACTUALLY inclusive, you may gain way more users than you expect..

I think it was a good direction to create the moderation thread, and I was close to leaving as well, because this place has been pretty toxic, but knowing that Divine Fire and H20 do take our criticisms seriously and have a plan to improve in this aspect, I feel a bit more welcome.

I personally agree. When this forum was started there was a lot of positive energy because there finally was a community place again. There was apperantly not much need for rules to keep people calm. Over the course of a year people have gone into full rito mode and I am convinced these people are scaring others off. The forum is filled with negativity, spam, flame and hate. It's really hard for me to get something out of it anymore since everywhere you look theres hate and negativity. That's saying something because I really like forums and aoeforums in particular. Ive been posting much less lately as things were rapidly turning shittier and shittier making esoc a pure place of negativity.

That's, I believe, why the rules were changed. Because ESOC had turned into something that ESOC wasn't supposed to be. This should be a positive community place. Surely there's arguing, there are people you might not like and sometimes you just wanna spam, but the degree to which that is happening right now is simply destructive. If people can't take the new, still very lenient rules, and consider this place too "nazi" (honestly, this might be the least strict forum out there for such a large community forum) and feel like it forces them to leave, then we might be gaining something out of it.

People have been turning this place into a hellhole. I remember when I was younger I never dared to even make a post on RTS sanctuary because the people were so aggressive and unpleasant on that forum.. I feel like ESOC is almost exactly the same right now. People are surely being scared off by the behaviour of some forum members. If those forum members are unwilling to change up their behaviour then it might be time to leave (although I would honestly regret that, but there's no other way). The members that leave will eventually be compensated by new members, positive and constructive members, lower ranked players with questions or whatever, joining the forum. In the end, new people are the basis of a forums. They are the ones that keep coming up with questions and give us a reason to even make posts. Without those people the forum is nowhere. We might seem to be taking a step backwards here but I hope that'll result in two steps forward.

Note: This post was made as a community member, not as an esoc representative.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Dr. Legend wrote:I am just curious why you care about racist and anti-Semitic posts. No bigotry on my part. Just trying to understand. Communication and all. I mean if I read a post insulting sushi fans, I just ignore it, because I don't eat that disgusting food. If I see a post insulting pizza fans though, I may intervene. So, why do you really care about people insulting other people, in discussions that have nothing to do with you? Again, just asking. Politely. ;)

I care about humans in general. Why should anyone not care about racism, misogyny, anti-semiticism, etc..? These things contribute to people getting killed, harassed, and otherwise oppressed every day. If you are just insulting someone in a personal conflict between you, whatever, mods can decide if it goes overboard, but being racist etc. is insulting and harming everyone who belongs to that class-- a class of people that already get shit constantly just for existing as they are.
United States of America jacksonpollock
Dragoon

Post by jacksonpollock »

Dr. Legend wrote:I am just curious why you care about racist and anti-Semitic posts. No bigotry on my part. Just trying to understand. Communication and all. I mean if I read a post insulting sushi fans, I just ignore it, because I don't eat that disgusting food. If I see a post insulting pizza fans though, I may intervene. So, why do you really care about people insulting other people, in discussions that have nothing to do with you? Again, just asking. Politely. ;)

Sushi is nasty
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

Okay, everyone now said goodbye and Dr. Legend may feel free to come back when he feels like. =) I support locking this thread now. Anything else will hardly be constructive, but just pointless sushitalk and flame attempts.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Dr. Legend wrote:
arriah wrote:

I care about humans in general. Why should anyone not care about racism, misogyny, anti-semiticism, etc..? These things contribute to people getting killed, harassed, and otherwise oppressed every day. If you are just insulting someone in a personal conflict between you, whatever, mods can decide if it goes overboard, but being racist etc. is insulting and harming everyone who belongs to that class-- a class of people that already get shit constantly just for existing as they are.

Do you legitimately believe people here are going to murder Jews and blacks (except for that medino person maybe)? Geez, girl you crazy. There is not a single person here who was personally insulted. There were joking references to Jews and women by people who like Jews and women. You do not speak for them Arriah. They are not infants in need of you standing up for them. Ironically you are being a racist by implying they are weaklings, needing to be defended from mean words by you. Have you considered just minding your business and putting people on the Ignore List?

I think that it's interesting that you assume I'm a white male. I guess that proves the point. This site is for white men only...

ignoring people doesn't solve the problem, and it can only help so much.

P.S. Have you ever heard of 4chan? no moderation and they breed hate with racism etc. and people get killed an harassed. Also, I have personally been harassed by people in the aoe community. So how about you quit being a shitlord.
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

Dr. Legend wrote:
arriah wrote:
I think that it's interesting that you assume I'm a white male. I guess that proves the point. This site is for white men only...

P.S. Have you ever heard of 4chan? no moderation and they breed hate with racism etc. and people get killed an harassed. Also, I have personally been harassed by people in the aoe community. So how about you quit being a shitlord.

Nah I'm pretty sure you're female. I mean because of the name and everything.

Have you ever heard of tumblr? It seems more up your alley.

Bye :)
Dragoon

Post by jacksonpollock »

arriah wrote:
Dr. Legend wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Do you legitimately believe people here are going to murder Jews and blacks (except for that medino person maybe)? Geez, girl you crazy. There is not a single person here who was personally insulted. There were joking references to Jews and women by people who like Jews and women. You do not speak for them Arriah. They are not infants in need of you standing up for them. Ironically you are being a racist by implying they are weaklings, needing to be defended from mean words by you. Have you considered just minding your business and putting people on the Ignore List?

Typical SJW
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

@jacksonpollock reading through your post history makes my head hurt
Dragoon

Post by jacksonpollock »

deleted_user wrote:@jacksonpollock reading through your post history makes my head hurt

I'm not surprised, probably doesn't take much to strain your brain.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'm sorry can you use simpler words please.
Dragoon

Post by jacksonpollock »

deleted_user wrote:I'm sorry can you use simpler words please.

u r dum
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Comparing antisemtism to insulting a pizza fan is insulting.

There is a long history of people killing Jewish people over Antisemetic attitudes. And if I wanted to spend the time fully explaining that that point I could. It's not worth the effort since I know a forum post won't change your long history of just not liking Jewish people.

The staff here puts in a lot of time and I put up my own money to offer this site. I have zero desire to spend my money for you express your antisemtism.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

For all of you, this site is primarily for discussion of age of empires. It also is primarily for socializing events and user content about the game. Off topic is meant to be a fun light hearted area for things like the Pets of ESOC thread.

If you want to make your life's mission about the seriousness of online free speech you should find a more impactful place to have those discussions than a forum with <10000 active posters.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

jacksonpollock wrote:
deleted_user wrote:I'm sorry can you use simpler words please.

u r dum

simpler pls