My sincere thoughts on #modtheear

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: My sincere thoughts on #modtheear

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:
Jerom wrote:You think it is a bad move, I think it's a good move personally. That is all related to the content you'd like to see on a forum.
And now we're back to the fact the in the off topic locking threads is purely subjective and based off of what the mods consider spam, not what the community wants.

I do think that's acting as if the mods just moderate purely objectively. It may seem that the community wants to be able to post anything in off topic but I've heard other voices (of people that weren't visiting off topic, or sometimes the entire forums anymore) that say otherwise. I think we should try to represent all of the community, not a very minor part of it.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:
gibson wrote:
Jerom wrote:You think it is a bad move, I think it's a good move personally. That is all related to the content you'd like to see on a forum.
And now we're back to the fact the in the off topic locking threads is purely subjective and based off of what the mods consider spam, not what the community wants.

I do think that's acting as if the mods just moderate purely objectively. It may seem that the community wants to be able to post anything in off topic but I've heard other voices (of people that weren't visiting off topic, or sometimes the entire forums anymore) that say otherwise. I think we should try to represent all of the community, not a very minor part of it.
So the forum is a democracy now operating based on what the majority want? This is news to me. I just fail to see any reason why a thread that is not offensive (racist sexist etc) that people are contributing to should ever be locked.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The klondike bar thread adds very little. I tried to make a statement in that thread by posting the most random thing I could find. I don't even know what it is or where I found that, but it fits the thread perfectly. Doesn't even seem a little bit weird.

Thats the point where to me a thread becomes more harmful than useful.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:The klondike bar thread adds very little. I tried to make a statement in that thread by posting the most random thing I could find. I don't even know what it is or where I found that, but it fits the thread perfectly. Doesn't even seem a little bit weird.

Thats the point where to me a thread becomes more harmful than useful.

Please tell me how that thread was harmful and isn't off topic from aoe3. If threads that are off topic from aoe3 aren't going to be allowed that stop calling it off topic, call it the "only off topic that the mods like" section
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

Honestly I don't really care about that thread or threads like it (usually), the only time I lock spammy threads like that is when they're liable to head south really fast. And I'd been trying out just not really moderating off topic until people decided that off topic=complain about the site and its moderation and desperately draw attention to yourself by saying you're leaving.
Taunt 3
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

DivineFire wrote:Honestly I don't really care about that thread or threads like it (usually), the only time I lock spammy threads like that is when they're liable to head south really fast. And I'd been trying out just not really moderating off topic until people decided that off topic=complain about the site and its moderation and desperately draw attention to yourself by saying you're leaving.
i agree with this. If an off topic thread is turning into a flame war, go ahead and lock it. But I see no reason why a purely off topic thread that contains no flame or offensive content is locked.....
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

Well sometimes we can just see it coming and decide to act preemptively.
Taunt 3
No Flag deuxballesman
Dragoon

Post by deuxballesman »

It was proposed somewhere in this thread (quite long to read at work tbh) but is there a way the off-topic section not appear in the unread or active topic section? Don't get me wrong I like reading and posting a few things there every now and then but the offtopic is not what I came in for anyway. Putting it aside or maybe being able to choose what section we want to appear in the unread post may be a could idea.

Concerning the moderation it is true it became quite strict in the past few days but should people calm down a bit mods will also have much less work to do. Trolls will be banned either by the mods or ostracised by the community which was what happened for feu thebritish.

As for mods you can't really prevent flaming. We are on the internet and e-penises war are frequent. Just let a couple of friendly dwells here and there live their life ;)

To all of us can't we just strat on fresh basis again ? We lost some spammers, so what that's good for us! Just let the new patch era begin in a fresh climate :)
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

deuxballesman wrote:It was proposed somewhere in this thread (quite long to read at work tbh) but is there a way the off-topic section not appear in the unread or active topic section? Don't get me wrong I like reading and posting a few things there every now and then but the offtopic is not what I came in for anyway. Putting it aside or maybe being able to choose what section we want to appear in the unread post may be a could idea.

Concerning the moderation it is true it became quite strict in the past few days but should people calm down a bit mods will also have much less work to do. Trolls will be banned either by the mods or ostracised by the community which was what happened for feu thebritish.

As for mods you can't really prevent flaming. We are on the internet and e-penises war are frequent. Just let a couple of friendly dwells here and there live their life ;)

To all of us can't we just strat on fresh basis again ? We lost some spammers, so what that's good for us! Just let the new patch era begin in a fresh climate :)

Sounds good to me. I did try and remove of topic posts from the active topics but it didn't seem to work.
Taunt 3
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom it's not even really a random thread--
What would you do for a Klondike bar is actually a commonly know advertising slogan so it's not the same as something like "what would you do if i forced you to pick my nose "
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Well, I didn't really want to waste my time reading all of this. As a person who wrote a couple of hundreds of posts here, I have to say that everyone was always nice to me whenever I asked a question or posted something in the OT section — some users have a great sense of humour here, which I really like. Moreover, I personally haven't experienced any „impolite" treatment from our staff whatsoever. Locking threads in which people make drama about their farewells isn't something that really bothers me.

On this whole action of making the author of the topic a mod, I have to say I really don't like the way he somewhat insists on it. HEY EVERYONE, I HAVE MY BASEMENT CREW AND MY TWO FRIENDS WHO ALWAYS AGREE WITH ME, THE STAFF SUCKS MAKE ME A MOD. Sure, your basement idea is awesome and I really admire such „initiatives", but then again — couldn't you just talk to the admins by PMs?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

DivineFire wrote:Well sometimes we can just see it coming and decide to act preemptively.

That's a dangerous road to go down, you could lock most threads with that logic lol
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

pecelot wrote:Well, I didn't really want to waste my time reading all of this. As a person who wrote a couple of hundreds of posts here, I have to say that everyone was always nice to me whenever I asked a question or posted something in the OT section — some users have a great sense of humour here, which I really like. Moreover, I personally haven't experienced any „impolite" treatment from our staff whatsoever. Locking threads in which people make drama about their farewells isn't something that really bothers me.

On this whole action of making the author of the topic a mod, I have to say I really don't like the way he somewhat insists on it. HEY EVERYONE, I HAVE MY BASEMENT CREW AND MY TWO FRIENDS WHO ALWAYS AGREE WITH ME, THE STAFF SUCKS MAKE ME A MOD. Sure, your basement idea is awesome and I really admire such „initiatives", but then again — couldn't you just talk to the admins by PMs?

I'm not trying to attack the staff here. But some people are clearly upset, and I wanted to post my thoughts on the topic in a civilized manner.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I would suggest giving users the option to either opt in or opt out of seeing off topic posts on the sidebar. Not sure if this is possible but it would allow those who get annoying be off topic posts to not see them and those who like the off topic section to be able to post off topic things without getting locked
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:I would suggest giving users the option to either opt in or opt out of seeing off topic posts on the sidebar. Not sure if this is possible but it would allow those who get annoying be off topic posts to not see them and those who like the off topic section to be able to post off topic things without getting locked

Yeah that might be better. It's still problematic is somewhat empty content takes over off topic. Off topic is also (and imo mostly) a place for discussion about political/moral subjects and also a post to get to know eachother better. That is in my opinion the reason why off topic is extremely helpful for a community (the pets of ESOC thread as prime example). If it becomes all spammy (or just posts that do not offer a serious topic to discuss or talk about) then these super important functions of off topic start to fade. That'd be very unfortunate and harmful still.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

gibson wrote:I would suggest giving users the option to either opt in or opt out of seeing off topic posts on the sidebar. Not sure if this is possible but it would allow those who get annoying be off topic posts to not see them and those who like the off topic section to be able to post off topic things without getting locked

I don't really think that's necessary. You can just as easily cycle through the categories on the left sidebar.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jerom wrote:

Yeah that might be better. It's still problematic is somewhat empty content takes over off topic. Off topic is also (and imo mostly) a place for discussion about political/moral subjects and also a post to get to know eachother better. That is in my opinion the reason why off topic is extremely helpful for a community (the pets of ESOC thread as prime example). If it becomes all spammy (or just posts that do not offer a serious topic to discuss or talk about) then these super important functions of off topic start to fade. That'd be very unfortunate and harmful still.

I disagree, I think the political threads are the ones that most often devolve into flaming.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:

spammy and super important are both completely subjective. You can get to know someone through basically any form of interaction
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

Any mod needs to be a grown-up. The first step to maturity is realising you don't get what you want by incessantly nagging others to give it to you.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jerom wrote:

I disagree, I think the political threads are the ones that most often devolve into flaming.

Yeah, the reason I believe such topic to be useful at all is that eventually people will talk about it in other topics otherwise. That's what happened time and time again on agecomm (which didnt have off topic) and that did ruin quite a few threads. Now if a topic (aoe related) is leaving its subject you can move it to a new off topic thread.

Gibson I disagree, the klondike bar thread contributed not much in terms of getting to know eachother/befriending eachother. Or little. I mean its not that I think threads like that need to be permanently exterminated and the makers banned to hell, but it does get harmful I think when theres tons of them so that off topic becomes not worth reading for people that don't enjoy it (check the number of users that reply to such threads compared to say, pets of ESOC, and you'll realize theres many of people that don't want to read that). Like for me, and that'd be ultra subjective, one or two of those threads are fine but when it gets more than that I wonder to myself, do you really need all these topics.. Wasn't one enough? (assuming, which is actually wrong lol, that those topics aren't created purely to troll).
No Flag arriah
Dragoon

Post by arriah »

If I elect ear for president.. err mod.. will he ban Dr. Legend?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

arriah wrote:If I elect ear for president.. err mod.. will he ban Dr. Legend?

Well not immediately, but he probably has already received warnings. However I do think he is planning on leaving anyway.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

lesllamas wrote:Responses in bold.

So you basically say the 2 last links were closed by pure "prevention"... No real reason to lock them since they were still courteous. Right ?
About the thread with dr.legend, I know how hardcore he can be sometimes. But does it mean you have to lock the entire thread ? I guess not.
About the last thread, I don't find that people were flaming so hard, unless you live in a teletubbies world... Mods (Jerom, Tilanus, Goodspeed) were even discussing with people before for some reason Tilanus decided to lock it. If you really think that thread was dangerous for esoc and thus had to be locked, I think you are very fragile.

fightinfrenchman wrote:
DivineFire wrote:Well sometimes we can just see it coming and decide to act preemptively.

That's a dangerous road to go down, you could lock most threads with that logic lol

lmao, have you guys seen minority report ? Reminds me of that. You can't act before the problem happened to prevent it from happening, because you can never be 100% sure it will happen.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Kaiserklein wrote:
lesllamas wrote:Responses in bold.

So you basically say the 2 last links were closed by pure "prevention"... No real reason to lock them since they were still courteous. Right ?
About the thread with dr.legend, I know how hardcore he can be sometimes. But does it mean you have to lock the entire thread ? I guess not.
About the last thread, I don't find that people were flaming so hard, unless you live in a teletubbies world... Mods (Jerom, Tilanus, Goodspeed) were even discussing with people before for some reason Tilanus decided to lock it. If you really think that thread was dangerous for esoc and thus had to be locked, I think you are very fragile.

fightinfrenchman wrote:

lmao, have you guys seen minority report ? Reminds me of that. You can't act before the problem happened to prevent it from happening, because you can never be 100% sure it will happen.

thanks for the feedback man!