My sincere thoughts on #modtheear

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: My sincere thoughts on #modtheear

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
lesllamas wrote:Congratulations. A bit of advice--maybe campaigning to be a mod isn't the best way to prove your mod-worthiness. Unlike Season 4's democratic convention, becoming a mod isn't up to a public vote.

No, but the public pressure can still exist. And I want it to be obvious that I'm willing to do this when the mods say they don't have the time to fulfill their duties.

Your main problem right now is that you have proven that you have issues following basic forum rules right now, plus I am pretty sure you have quite the collection of haters. You're quite low on my personal list of new mods for those two reasons.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Jerom wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
lesllamas wrote:Congratulations. A bit of advice--maybe campaigning to be a mod isn't the best way to prove your mod-worthiness. Unlike Season 4's democratic convention, becoming a mod isn't up to a public vote.

No, but the public pressure can still exist. And I want it to be obvious that I'm willing to do this when the mods say they don't have the time to fulfill their duties.

Your main problem right now is that you have proven that you have issues following basic forum rules right now, plus I am pretty sure you have quite the collection of haters. You're quite low on my personal list of new mods for those two reasons.

I do not have any problem following forum rules. And others have me quite highly rated on their own lists.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

Jerom wrote:
lesllamas wrote:Spammy content is spammy content.

If someone like JacksonPollack makes a post: "you're a dumb fag", that shit receives a warning not because mods or anyone fucking disagrees with the content, but because it's spammy bullshit that adds nothing to any discussion whatsoever. The "outcry" coming from like 5 people about "FREE SPEECH MODS ARE WOMEN WHO SHOULD STAY IN THE KITCHEN" just shouldn't be listened to. The biggest mistake the mods have made IMO is not outright permabanning some of these people. There's an inflated sense of self-importance among most of the vocal critics of moderation, and to quote Kevin Spacey/Frank Underwood, here is the brutal fucking truth--you are not an important person. Nobody gives a shit if you have 5000 posts, because they're probably all garbage anyways. The site staff and mods can't put it like this because they have to be adults and treat everyone with respect which (SHOCKER) is the only goddamn thing you have to do to not get banned on this site.

I think we shouldnt single out the user with 5000 posts.

There he is boys! GET 'EM!
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

Jerom wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

IMO Papist or Ovi would be good candidates.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I do not have any problem following forum rules. And others have me quite highly rated on their own lists.

Hmmm...
Unfortunately, the mods get you cheadar, and the basement crew confused with each other, and jump to conclusions. You don't have a spotless record either ear, and you are beginning to lose my respect. As _H2O mentioned earlier, Actions Speak Louder Than Words. You need to mature and start upping your post quality even more, with your creativity and charisma speaking your case. I vehemently believe that your current posts are only 1/2 or 1/3rd as good as you can make them, so stop the spam and go for quality over quantity.
Error 404: Signature not found
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

DivineFire wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote: Anyway, DivineFire didn't lock it just because people weren't following the template, and we both know that...

That's exactly why I locked it, would just like H2O to clean it up and respond to things as he sees fit, then set everyone back on the threads original purpose.

Ok, but then why did you answer several times in that thread, while a ton of posts already didn't follow the template ? Shouldn't it have been locked earlier ? And right after 3 posts in a row start criticizing what you wrote, you lock the thread. Weird
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

It's locked so I can answer what's there and clean it up. The goal of the template is to have civilian discussion. Some of the non template messages were civil so I responded but the thread has drifted a lot now and I don't have time o respond to it all.

Plus it's not very fun to respond to it or think about moderation for me :/.
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

_H2O wrote:It's locked so I can answer what's there and clean it up. The goal of the template is to have civilian discussion. Some of the non template messages were civil so I responded but the thread has drifted a lot now and I don't have time o respond to it all.

Plus it's not very fun to respond to it or think about moderation for me :/.

This, it had just gone a long way sideways.
Taunt 3
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Niue Le Dragon
Dragoon

Post by Le Dragon »

I can't believe you modded Jerom instead of the ear. I have lost faith in humanity.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iNcog wrote:
Le Dragon wrote:I can't believe you modded Jerom instead of the ear. I have lost faith in humanity.

It's an excellent nomination. Jerom is doted with common sense, communication skills and he also wants this community to work out. Above all, he respects other forum users. So him being a mod should be an improvement.

Well he was already a mod for some time. They just changed the flair.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iNcog wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well he was already a mod for some time. They just changed the flair.

Yes but he tried to avoid moderating unless it was absolutely necessary. Hopefully now he takes a more active role and does a better job than what is currently done.

Well I'm still actively offering my time and energy to help improve moderation.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iNcog wrote:sorry, i made a big edit

I've decided to stop making threads other than podcast announcements for the time being so they don't think I'm "spamming," however I cannot control @evilcheadar (trust me I've tried).

Of course I wouldn't abuse power as a mod when I've worked this hard to become one.

I appreciate the support.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Why would you even wanna be a moderator ? It's just work and the only thing you get back is ungrateful forum members. Most moderators would probably give up after a few days. So thumbs up to divinefire who is putting up with this. This of course doesn't mean that I don't think you wouldn't be suited.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

bobabu wrote:Why would you even wanna be a moderator ? It's just work and the only thing you get back is ungrateful forum members. Most moderators would probably give up after a few days. So thumbs up to divinefire who is putting up with this. This of course doesn't mean that I don't think you wouldn't be suited.

Because I spend a lot of time on the forums already and I would like to donate my time and energy to help improve the community.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

iNcog wrote:
bobabu wrote:Why would you even wanna be a moderator ? It's just work and the only thing you get back is ungrateful forum members. Most moderators would probably give up after a few days. So thumbs up to divinefire who is putting up with this. This of course doesn't mean that I don't think you wouldn't be suited.

Only if you bring that upon yourself, barring a few trolls. But there aren't even that many; just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a troll or an asshole.

I agree. But I feel like this is a job you get asked to do and not one where you apply.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

_H2O wrote:I would say actions speak louder than words for this one. If the interest really is there then try to post like a mod and also show it. That's how we have added staff members. I appreciate the enthusiasm and I'll keep an ear out for you to show it.

It is!?
: O
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iNcog wrote:of course it's your job to reach to the people causing problems and try to get them on your side
I don't think it's necessarily a moderator's job but if we want things to work out it's absolutely the way to go. Treating bad apples like bad apples and taking every opportunity to talk down to them is not going to solve anything and right now there is too much of that. Reason with them, and you will find most are reasonable. Dr Legend for example is a man with controversial views and the occasional post that goes out of line, but he can be reasoned with. Someone like medinos cannot, and could've been banned months ago.

So my view on off topic moderation is we need an approach that is centered around the people, not the content. Ear knows the people, has a positive mindset, posts frequently in off topic and on top of all that he's motivated. Most importantly, he isn't contantly implying that the ESOC community is a bunch of negative nancies. Some would call that a self-fulfilling prophecy.