[POLL] Euro 2016

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

Which nation will win Euro 2016?

Poll ended at 25 Jun 2016, 10:41

Albania
2%
Austria
2%
Belgium
3%
Croatia
2%
Czech Republic
2%
England
5%
France
11%
Germany
29%
Hungary
2%
Iceland
2%
Ireland
No votes
Italy
6%
Northern Ireland
No votes
Poland
2%
Portugal
6%
Romania
No votes
Russia
2%
Slovakia
No votes
Spain
15%
Sweden
3%
Switzerland
2%
Turkey
3%
Ukraine
No votes
Wales
6%

Total votes: 66

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: [POLL] Euro 2016

Post by pecelot »

Now surely more mediocre teams got qualified as the tournament has been enlarged to 24 teams on the contrary to previous 16, which I found more interesting. Right now we have a couple of nations for which this year's competition is the first one ever they've participated in. 16-team EUROs were pretty elitist, and if we have a look at the previous tourneys it's indeed the case IMO, each of those 16 sides was really decent.
And I just don't know how you can be so biased towards it. I'm sure it's because of the massive attention that is given to EVERY SINGLE match. I'm curious to see your reaction to a regular UCL match from a group stage, in which let's say BATE Borysow faces FK Rosenborg.
Still, don't consider goals as the only excitement indicator. I hope you get that a goalless match doesn't have to be boring. Not losing goals in the art of defending. Sure, 7-5 matches would be super entertaining, but meh, give some credit to all the catenaccio!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

It is basically region locked though. Champions league is only euro. That's like the GSL, and then theres a blizzcon every 4 years in a world cup.

EDIT: Incog edited
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

pecelot wrote:If you form such an argument, then look at other teams, like Poland or Wales, @umeu . Their country leagues are mediocre at best, but their national sides are pretty strong, as they can use players who represent better clubs abroad. You can have they Lewandowski, Milik, Krychowiak, Szczęsny or Bale and Ramsey, respectively.

milik is not good and he doesnt play at a good club. Stop thinking that XD

iNcog wrote:i didn't edit anything. i talked about region lock at the end of page 6 and started page 7 with a post explaining how the euro cup is clearly played at a higher level than the world cup is

my b
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Also, was Wales getting out unexpected? I thought they were going to do well but in the news people are saying it was a surprise and my friends all predicted england + slowakia/russia so Im confused.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

@iNcog lol have you ever heard of team GB? It was a case once, during 2012 Olympics I believe, and it wasn't such a good idea...
@Jerom , I think he's pretty decent, he does alright at Ajax at the very least, although you may not like him, he scores goals, which is the main task of a striker, and he's still young, being 22 now. His finishing in the match against Germany wasn't on point indeed, but earlier he scored the winner against Northern Ireland and played rather well. Let's just give him a shot, as I'm almost certain Poland will get the opportunity to play at least two more matches, in which he's likely to start.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

pecelot wrote:@Jerom , I think he's pretty decent, he does alright at Ajax at the very least, although you may not like him, he scores goals, which is the main task of a striker, and he's still young, being 22 now. His finishing in the match against Germany wasn't on point indeed, but earlier he scored the winner against Northern Ireland and played rather well. Let's just give him a shot, as I'm almost certain Poland will get the opportunity to play at least two more matches, in which he's likely to start.

He's not great for Ajax. He's the player the people considered the worst of the 11 man squad (although later on that opinion diverted to the right winger I guess) of fucking Ajax. Ajax isn't a good club anymore, they can hardly qualify for the champions league. I already said it right but I'm an Ajax fan and have watched like 60-70% of their games this season.

I just hope he scores some more this tournament or has a good game (unfortunately the game vs germany kinda gave it away) and then some club will pay some ridiculous amount of money for him haha.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The supporters from Ireland and North Ireland, aswell as those from wales have so far been nothing short of amazing.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Fair point, I don't watch any Eredivise at all to be honest. Still, though, he's a good player in comparison with other Polish representants, who sometimes play in the Polish league, which again is mediocre. He looks promising especially compared to other Polish strikers, apart from Lewandowski of course, and he proved he could do well on the international stage.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Milik did an assist against Ukraine ;)
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

No modric is kinda :(

Spain still fun to watch but I dont like spain.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

David Silva is a fxcking slut. Good thing the goalkeeper stopped the penalty.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Milik didn't play at his best IMO today, but at least he made a crucial pass, which occurred to be the most important moment in the entire game.
Intense match for Poland, I feel we didn't have much control over the match, as Ukraine attacked dangerously many times. We had some luck and in the final moments great defence, which looked pretty solid, although made a couple of mistakes as well. It's good psychologically above all, as we can win such tough matches with a clean sheet.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Croatia - Spain:
Awesome match. The Dutch referees are doing a bad job, tho.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Croatia managed to win without half of its best players, congratulations fantastic team, Perišić played at an amazing level too ! :smile:

@Dolan The most terrible was the Slovenian Skomina (during France-Switzerland) so far imo. Almost only mistakes on important decisions
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

they didnt make many mistakes imo, but they made a mistake in the crucial moment. Croat keeper came too far forward, shouldve been a retake.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Dolan wrote:Croatia - Spain:
Awesome match. The Dutch referees are doing a bad job, tho.

I actually agreed with his decisions, I think he did a good job. At least with regards to the penalties.

Actually kuipers was the best referee of 2014 and was supposed to do the final but didnt get to because NL got too far. His previous match (was it france - swiss or germany - poland I dont remember which one) was actually flawless. I think he might actually do the finals here.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

I really don't know who to favour now (except being a biased German maybe), before today I was favouring Spain but now they lost to Croatia
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Spain doesnt understand the game. Tiki taka can only work if you have insane players that severely outclass and outplay everyone and everything. With mediocre players it turns into the style NL has which is both frustrating and shitty. At the moment, against a decent squad, you cant go that offensive against a decent team. Italy is going to slaugther them. Oh, croatia with modric is actually even better than I thought, might do well beyond group stages even.

Germany did the best maybe, but couldnt even beat poland. Italy, germany, spain, croatia, and I guess france. Well spain, france and croatia disappointed me too much and italy struggled so much with ireland, but theyre better at killing offensive squads. Portugal, england and to some extend belgium disappointed me too much to list them really. Well the more I type the more I feel like no squad is good enough to win it which means they all are.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Jerom wrote:Well the more I type the more I feel like no squad is good enough to win it which means they all are.

haha that's how I feel too
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well Im all aboard the croatia/italia train. Of the 8 teams I personally listed (france, germany, spain, england, italy, belgium, portugal, croatia) I feel like portugal was so overwhelmingly disappointing that I wanna leave them out. England and belgium would be the next to cut from that list I think. For croatia it matters a lot if modric will be fit next games.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

wow @Jerom , I feel like you're so biased towards Poland because of Milik xD
Poland looks pretty decent right now, it's not that a draw from Germany there was a big disappointment. Poland is yet to concede a goal, same as Germany.