The Left's War on Christianity

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

calmyourtits wrote:
I don''t know if its like this everywhere, but at least at US colleges the first year or two are basically review of high school.
Lol, high schools are getting seriously shitty.
How was your high school, looking back at it now? As in, the quality of it.
I attended two high schools, a public high school and a christian high school. Public school was an absolute joke. They offered CP classes, honors classes, and AP classes. A mentally handicapped sheep could have passed CP classes. I was friends with kids who were far below average intelligence ( sub 20 on the act if that means anything to you), and passed CP classes with relative ease. Honors classes weren''t really any different. An extra paper or two per semester and a slightly faster pace than CP classes. AP was completely different but just about as shitty. In case you don''t know, AP stands for advanced placement and is supposed to be a college class. At the end of the semester you take an AP test, and depending on how well you do on it you can get some college credit. But at the school I went to it basically meant an hour and a half of a teacher reading slides and assigning a crazy amount of busy work.
The Christian school was 10x better. We aren''t talking tiny church school that indoctrinates students with the whole earth is only 6000 years old shit, but an actual school. The classes were smaller( 12-16 students) and and quality of teaching was better. Teachers were much more accessible and taught at a pace customized to the class. I felt like I actually learned some stuff there. It was all extremely easy for me, but that''s because I come from an extremely intelligent family and while I''m not trying to toot my own horn I am much smarter than the average American student.
I''m sure that there are some Public schools that are decent and from what I''ve heard most private schools aren''t really any better. American high school education is just trash. Social studies is an absolute waste of time. It''s just memorizing facts so that you can forget them. If you ever need to know that information you can just use Google. English is a waste of time. Most students enter college not knowing how to site sources or piece together five paragraphs into an essay without having many many spelling and grammar errors and not reading coherently. There are way to many classes that are just flat out stupid that actually count for credit such as agricultural science, college readiness, and personal finance. Foreign launguges are laughable. You cannot learn a foreign language in a class room in two semesters. I passed Spanish 1 and 2 with A''s and I can''t even count to 13 or conjugate a verb. Cheating is rampant and teachers are too lazy and/or don''t care enough to punish it. There is so much wasted time. Why can a college professor teach a course in 40 hours but it takes a high school teacher over 4 times as long to teach the same course?
tl:dr high school was a waste of time
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

if you are smart and found hs extremely easy, why did you end up in a shitty college then? hs was to easy that it made you lazy :)?
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

as you probably know, a smart student won't really be intellectually emulated in hs, except in a few very selective privates ones. the way to distinguish yourself is mainly through extra curricular. tons of student get max score at SAT with plenty of APs nowadays. the real challenge should begin in college, the point that you aren't challenging yourself is a proof in itself that your school isn't a good fit
*I will try answer to your previous message later when I got time :)
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

There are states in America with some of the best schools in the world.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag cupofcoffee
Crossbow

Post by cupofcoffee »

An intersting discussion is going. I think some things should be made clear, though.

The Bible is NOT a scientific but a theologic book' it was written by men several thousand years ago. Therefore, the Genesis only represents their opinion or imagination of how the world came into existance. (Though, it is surprising to see the parallels to the Big Bang Theory: that the universe (and the earth as a part of it) has a beginning and is not cyclical, as other cultures belief, plus the Genesis describes that everything started with light and darkness, which is also conform with the Big Bang Theory)
If someone misunderstands the background of books like the Bible, the Coran or the Tora and tries to extract scientific data out of them by using empirical methods, he will never come to a conclusion, because theologic scripts simply do not have the requirement to explain scientific circumstances. Generally speaking, science asks the question of how, whereas religion focuses on the why. In this respect, science is completely nonsensical, since nature simply doesn't know any sort of sense. Nature acts according to its laws and that's basically it. Gravity, the strong and weak nuclear energy, as well as the electromagnetic interdependency' there is nothing more beyond that.

You could also wonder what influence the knowledge of the Big Bang, quantum physics, or general relativity theory has on your personal life. The way I interact with others, the way that society works, is just not affected at all by those achievements of science. And this is where religion comes into play. Religon tries to give sense to life, since scientifically speaking everything, be it a piece of rock or a human body, both consist of the same fermions, which themselves consist of quarks and so on and so on. If someone sold the basic elements a human body is made of, water, carbon and some metal, he would receive about ten dollars. And this is what a human life is worth? 10 bucks?

As you may have noticed I am a Christian, a convinced one I might add. But this does not mean that I doubt the theory of evolution, which is very well true, as far as a scientific theory can be true. Nontheless, there are certain circumstances that kind of contradict Darwin.
Let's take the human being for example. We have attributes that according to the theory of evolution are completely pointless. We can laugh when we are happy, we can cry when we are sad, we know of the fact that we are human beings, which may sound strange at first. Holberg once said:" The man is not an animal, because he knows that he is one" And this is very true. A cat is not aware of its existance.
So where do the emotions come from, since I already pointed out that nature (and therefore also the theory of evolution) is nonsensical and does not allow any sort of needless luxury?
Even though scientific and theologic methods are completely different, I do not think that this means that science and religion have nothing in common. Wernher von Braun described it the best when he said, that science and religion are two windows that man looks through and that you need both in order to understand the world.

I already wrote too much so one last thing for the end. Religion comes from God, whereas the Church is made by men. And as you all know, probably the most striking attribute of a human being is its falliblity. So do never put those two on the same level.

Not sure what is all these flat anti-Semetic "jokes" were about, so here is a jewish byword:" Man thinks, and God laughs!"
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:There are a lot of animals that cry or laugh. One of the explanations for laughter I''ve heard is that it is some kind of warning signal, which is why punchlines to jokes often involve something bad or unexpected happening. It is, of course, false, because it is clear that there is no way to verify whether or how something evolved hundreds of millions of years ago. It is all speculation that is meant solely to trick virtuous people into believing we''re all useless animals whose sole purpose is to pleasure and reproduction.
Your post is, of course, false, because it is clear that there is no way to verify whether or how the liberal media came to the conclusion that we''re all useless animals whose sole purpose is to pleasure and reproduction. It is all speculation that is meant solely to trick virtuous people into believing we''re all self-absorbed consumerist nutcases who care for nothing more than financial success.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

No Flag cupofcoffee
Crossbow

Post by cupofcoffee »

And who created your aliens? In order to solve this infinite regress, Socrates put an unmoved first "mover" to start with.
There must be a beginning' starting life in the universe by an entire alien race that came from nowhere is rather... unlikey let's say.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

cupofcoffee wrote:And who created your aliens? In order to solve this infinite regress, Socrates put an unmoved first "mover".
There must be a beginning' starting life in the universe by an entire alien race that came from nowhere is rather... unlikey let''s say.
The aliens were supernatural entities who created themselves. Duh
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

No Flag cupofcoffee
Crossbow

Post by cupofcoffee »

incog wrote:
cupofcoffee wrote:And who created your aliens? In order to solve this infinite regress, Socrates put an unmoved first "mover" to start with.
There must be a beginning' starting life in the universe by an entire alien race that came from nowhere is rather... unlikey lets say.
who created whatever created your aliens?

theres no end to these dumb questions

where did god come from?

start thinking about it too much and you come to realize that youre questioning existence itself (disregarding life). if you want to be stupid or reassured about it, go ahead and believe that fairies did it. the rest of us, and thankfully more and more of the world is coming to realize this, will continue to realize that there is no such thing as god
You completely miss the point. This endless dumb question you are reffering to, is called infinite regress. The only way of solving it, is to set a beginning' a beginning without cause and only effect.

And there has to be a start, since we exist. Scientifically speaking, it is simply not possible to answer the question of what was before the Big Bang. There was an imbalance concerning the relation between radiation and matter, which finally led to the forming of structures.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

incog wrote:
drlegend wrote:There are a lot of animals that cry or laugh. One of the explanations for laughter Ive heard is that it is some kind of warning signal, which is why punchlines to jokes often involve something bad or unexpected happening. It is, of course, false, because it is clear that there is no way to verify whether or how something evolved hundreds of millions of years ago. It is all speculation that is meant solely to trick virtuous people into believing were all useless animals whose sole purpose is to pleasure and reproduction.
we are useless animals though, lol

there are plenty of wars going on in africa and the middle east, its not like anyone really cares in the occidental world. were simply not as great as you think we are

this is partly because you believe that man was created by the likes of god, which is of course utterly false.

its not even that theres no proof, its that it doesnt make sense at all

id more readily believe that aliens created us than some god did

who says god isnt some other civilization from another world?

thats right, fucking nothing, lol
you watched Alien Theory to :)?
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:That is all useless irrelevant nonsense when you start thinking in terms of trillions of years and eternities.
Your cosmic vision is making me euphoric. :happydance:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

benj89 wrote:if you are smart and found hs extremely easy, why did you end up in a shitty college then? hs was to easy that it made you lazy :)?
Thats actually exactly it. I have a high enough ACT score and gpa that I could have gotten into just about any university outside of Ivy league. However, when I got to the part on college applications where I had to write essays I didn''t feel like doing them and instead opted to go to the local community college. I have recently come to realize that when it comes to school, I have absolutely 0 work ethic. I have horrible study habits, and can''t focus on school to save my life. I''m not blaming high school for this, I take full responsibility for my own disinterest, but a challenging high school would defiantly have helped me.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah I think a lot of people are in that boat, myself included. I tried uni twice but quit after half a year both times, because it was obvious I didn't have the work ethic to keep up.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I'm in same situation to, work ethic when you don't have it since years is extremely hard to get.
but i believe (and its more optimistic that way isn't it?) that you can work on it and it's a matter of time and willpower. as it's commonly said, your worst enemy is yourself.
I mean your 20, still got tons of opportunity.
and there are plenty options from community college, lot's of people come from there and end up at top schools, it becomes more and more accessible.
and tbh for people like us, it becomes way easier I guess when you begin to study smtg that actually stimulate and interest you. while many people can spend hours on smtg they don't give a fk abt
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

but yeah I believe work ethic is the most important factor to succeed at school, much more important than being smart
and this even at high lvl of study
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Difficult choices for us unmotivated people lol. I want to make bank bro. I wanna drive a range rover. I wanna get ass. But the only way to get a decent job is by getting a college degree or by working hard. Working hard isn't an option since I have 0 work ethic so I guess I just need to find some way to get through college which is going to be hard without a work ethic.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

gibson wrote:Difficult choices for us unmotivated people lol. I want to make bank bro. I wanna drive a range rover. I wanna get ass. But the only way to get a decent job is by getting a college degree or by working hard. Working hard isn''t an option since I have 0 work ethic
Don''t be so sure. Motivation to study and motivation to do your job are 2 very different things. I got a job and was worried I would have trouble but it turns out my work ethic is not as bad as I thought. Bringing up the motivation to do the job you''re being paid to do is much easier than spending free time on studying.