Discord

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Discord

Post by musketeer925 »

I only pop into ESOC occasionally now, but wow is this a low quality thread. Seeing the title I had hoped that it'd at least contain some ideas where the community would make an effort to make Discord a positive experience with many active players in the chat, but instead its a thread of everyone blaming everyone else for why there's no one in the Discord chat. I really don't think anyone can be blamed though, I tried joining the Discord many times and there was never an active user base as far as I can tell.

This kind of toxicity (among many other reasons) is one part of why I stopped developing for the site.

Some ideas that might make Discord more usable:
- Of course, actually keep it populated. Chilling on ESOC? Jump into the Discord chat
- Maybe a Discord username field could be added to profile, and a "online on discord" icon could appear in profile (of course dependent on developers willing and thinking it'd be a good idea/worth the work, not sure how much it would take)

I am pretty disappointed by this thread and the users of the site. If this was the first thread I saw on the site as a new user, I don't think I'd stick around.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

evilcheadar wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Doesnt bring back the people that left. I already did that anyways, had to turn all notifications off because cheadar and ear are toddlers that cant take such responsibility..

Um there was never a reason to turn off all notifications, maybe just the @everyone

Yeah, no reason: http://imgur.com/a/FXB3q
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

deleted_user wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Um there was never a reason to turn off all notifications, maybe just the @everyone

Yeah, no reason: http://imgur.com/a/FXB3q

I don't see a problem? I said hi
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

musketeer925 wrote:I only pop into ESOC occasionally now, but wow is this a low quality thread. Seeing the title I had hoped that it'd at least contain some ideas where the community would make an effort to make Discord a positive experience with many active players in the chat, but instead its a thread of everyone blaming everyone else for why there's no one in the Discord chat. I really don't think anyone can be blamed though, I tried joining the Discord many times and there was never an active user base as far as I can tell.

This kind of toxicity (among many other reasons) is one part of why I stopped developing for the site.

- Of course, actually keep it populated. Chilling on ESOC? Jump into the Discord chat
- Maybe a Discord username field could be added to profile, and a "online on discord" icon could appear in profile (of course dependent on developers willing and thinking it'd be a good idea/worth the work, not sure how much it would take)

I am pretty disappointed by this thread and the users of the site. If this was the first thread I saw on the site as a new user, I don't think I'd stick around.

Is it really blaming when you are stating the truth :/
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:I only pop into ESOC occasionally now, but wow is this a low quality thread. Seeing the title I had hoped that it'd at least contain some ideas where the community would make an effort to make Discord a positive experience with many active players in the chat, but instead its a thread of everyone blaming everyone else for why there's no one in the Discord chat. I really don't think anyone can be blamed though, I tried joining the Discord many times and there was never an active user base as far as I can tell.

Lol.... You're so baised against them you're taking what is possibly part of the problem and blaming everything on it instead of trying to learn from constructive criticism
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom wrote:

You blamed it on me but are part of the problem by not being in the discord where as I'm in everyday.

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

There's lots of room for constructive criticism but the OP is just sad.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom wrote:There's lots of room for constructive criticism but the OP is just sad.

You are the one who derailed the thread by casting blame first

United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

Yes, a good ole blame dick measuring contest.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Mvp618 wrote:Yes, a good ole blame dick measuring contest.

you the real mvp

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Musketeer is right and I'm being an asshole for saying this but here goes, because it is really frustrating.

We've let you in before. And usually we are playing secret hitler and that game is literally all discussion so no one will be able to enjoy it. You leave after a couple of minutes. All the other times you just spam that soundboard during silent times. Not everyone thinks bailbonds quotes or w.e. it's from is funny. In fact I think it's just you. Which is FINE, but when a group is annoyed or doesn't think something is funny like that one person, they are sort of incompatible. Not everyone has to converse together. That's sort of the purpose of a locked room.

If someone new actually does come to discord and asks, "hey guys im new can I join you guys?" Nine times out of ten it'll be a yes. Pretty much if 98% of the people ask to join it'll be a yes.

Reality is, there is a group of people whose entire existence on this forum and on discord is to push other peoples' buttons. You can't possibly tell me that it is anything else. Of course this is going to create a toxic environment. Is it too much to ask for a space away from that? I want to hang out with aoe peeps but I'm, quite frankly, sick of half the threads being bullshit, random polls and being constantly harassed on discord the few times I'm actually active there. When someone only wants to push your buttons, of course it'll cause some tension, sorry for responding, I'm sure it puts off newcomers.

But as a new person, I think I'd also be turned off by these stupid ass off topic shit posts that make zero sense.

I'm all for shit posting man. Shit posting has always been a thing in every forum, but these shit posts are actual shit.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

deleted_user wrote:Musketeer is right and I'm being an asshole for saying this but here goes, because it is really frustrating.

We've let you in before. And usually we are playing secret hitler and that game is literally all discussion so no one will be able to enjoy it. You leave after a couple of minutes. All the other times you just spam that soundboard during silent times. Not everyone thinks bailbonds quotes or w.e. it's from is funny. In fact I think it's just you. Which is FINE, but when a group is annoyed or doesn't think something is funny like that one person, they are sort of incompatible. Not everyone has to converse together. That's sort of the purpose of a locked room.

If someone new actually does come to discord and asks, "hey guys im new can I join you guys?" Nine times out of ten it'll be a yes. Pretty much if 98% of the people ask to join it'll be a yes.

Reality is, there is a group of people whose entire existence on this forum and on discord is to push other peoples' buttons. You can't possibly tell me that it is anything else. Of course this is going to create a toxic environment. Is it too much to ask for a space away from that? I want to hang out with aoe peeps but I'm, quite frankly, sick of half the threads being bullshit, random polls and being constantly harassed on discord the few times I'm actually active there. When someone only wants to push your buttons, of course it'll cause some tension, sorry for responding, I'm sure it puts off newcomers.

But as a new person, I think I'd also be turned off by these stupid ass off topic shit posts that make zero sense.

I'm all for shit posting man. Shit posting has always been a thing in every forum, but these shit posts are actual shit.

Haha letting a new person in "98%" of the time. BS

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The reason it was locked was the fact that people would get in and troll it seems. I am all for not having locked rooms but the bailbond quotes forced it upon them basically.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:The reason it was locked was the fact that people would get in and troll it seems. I am all for not having locked rooms but the bailbond quotes forced it upon them basically.
I dont understand why they couldn't have just made their own discord server? It would have done the same job of maintaining a clique but without letting people know they were locked out. Personally I stopped getting on discord regularly because there was no content I was interested in that I had access too. I couldn't get into the throne room and wasn't interested in saying well hi over and over. Neither of these things caused me to leave, but it was the only content there.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:
Jerom wrote:The reason it was locked was the fact that people would get in and troll it seems. I am all for not having locked rooms but the bailbond quotes forced it upon them basically.
I dont understand why they couldn't have just made their own discord server?

Yea correct, but then that defeats the purpose of a community discord server that's linked in the side bar. Regardless though several discord servers have popped up to serve that purpose as you well know.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:
gibson wrote:
I dont understand why they couldn't have just made their own discord server?

Yea correct, but then that defeats the purpose of a community discord server that's linked in the side bar. Regardless though several discord servers have popped up to serve that purpose as you well know.
How does it defeat the purpose when only like 10 people can get in and they usually arent even playing the come the said community is about?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

At least everyone is in one place and using the same server.

Tbh idk, it's a difficult situation, I'm not sure what to do.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

deleted_user wrote:At least everyone is in one place and using the same server.

Just come back and chat it up so I don't have to prod people along to get chatting with "well hi" and "I said hi's" what seems like every few hours

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

You have to understand that the elites don't want a separate server, they must have a locked room in a community server to feel they are above someone.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:You have to understand that the elites don't want a separate server, they must have a locked room in a community server to feel they are above someone.

I don't agree with this at all
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

Ahh yes, the Age of Empires 3 Elites and their need to feel superior. I had almost forgotten of these so called elites and their need to feel above others.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:You have to understand that the elites don't want a separate server, they must have a locked room in a community server to feel they are above someone.

I don't agree with this at all

What a surprise, one of the elites acting like he isn't part of them.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:At least everyone is in one place and using the same server.

Technically using the same server yes, but using it in a way that most people can't access. So what do I do when I would get on and see the only activity was in a locked room? The exact same thing I did when I got on and the only activity was cheadar and thefrenchman. Say well hi and than leave.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

To clarify, I don't have a problem with the locked room. I'm just saying that people like Jerom act as if a little bit of spam completely destroyed the discord server when in reality it just didn't offer anything that most people were interested in. No one could get in the one room that was regularly active and and people quickly got bored/annoyed with well hi! I said hi! I know me and my aoe3 clique started using skype mostly due to better sound quality. Like I said, it died because similarly to the chat room we had as part of the forums for a few weeks, no one was particularly interested in what it had to offer. It was a fad. People used it actively for a few weeks, than got bored.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

It's all gibsons fault imao