Educate Yourself on Globalization

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
United States of America Smyrna
Musketeer
ESO: M3RL1N_

Educate Yourself on Globalization

Post by Smyrna »

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=2173655

This is the type of place you should develop opinions and ideas- not FoxNews or CNN.

"A slowdown in trade growth has already gripped the globe over the past several years, according to data from the World Trade Organization."

"But across the West, the economist Branko Milanovic argues, the rise of populism corresponds to a decline in the income share held by the broad middle classes of those countries."

" the rise of global trade boosted incomes for the poorest and very richest workers in the world - everyone, really, except for the working class in the West."

“populism is rooted in the failure of globalization to deliver palpable benefits to its working class.”

“Too many people in the developed world see only a loss of jobs to lower-wage destinations,” Lipton said.

“Too many people fear that immigration is compromising their economic well-being. Too few see clearly the payoffs - poverty reduction, the innovation that comes from shared ideas, higher living standards from greater access to trade and higher returns to the wealthy world from investment partnerships with developing countries.”
Netherlands irr3alist
Dragoon
Donator 05

Re: Educate Yourself on Globalization

Post by irr3alist »

10 yrs ago we were stoned laughing at an Illuminati conspiracy doc. Fast forward a decade....Fox News people are a real segment of the us pop. :biggrin:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Today I was talking with a good friend. "What will aoe achieve in your future?" Reality is aoe has no meaningful place in my life but I still drift to it as a means of socialization and communication. Often, if not most of the time, I don't enjoy playing this game but I do. We need to recruit more players like that.
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

deleted_user wrote:Today I was talking with a good friend. "What will aoe achieve in your future?" Reality is aoe has no meaningful place in my life but I still drift to it as a means of socialization and communication. Often, if not most of the time, I don't enjoy playing this game but I do. We need to recruit more players like that.

what?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Mvp618 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Today I was talking with a good friend. "What will aoe achieve in your future?" Reality is aoe has no meaningful place in my life but I still drift to it as a means of socialization and communication. Often, if not most of the time, I don't enjoy playing this game but I do. We need to recruit more players like that.

I should say no but I say yes.

what?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:
Mvp618 wrote:

I should say no but I say yes.

what?
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

gibson wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Smyrna wrote:http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2173655

This is the type of place you should develop opinions and ideas- not FoxNews or CNN.

"A slowdown in trade growth has already gripped the globe over the past several years, according to data from the World Trade Organization."

"But across the West, the economist Branko Milanovic argues, the rise of populism corresponds to a decline in the income share held by the broad middle classes of those countries."

" the rise of global trade boosted incomes for the poorest and very richest workers in the world - everyone, really, except for the working class in the West."

“populism is rooted in the failure of globalization to deliver palpable benefits to its working class.”

“Too many people in the developed world see only a loss of jobs to lower-wage destinations,” Lipton said.

“Too many people fear that immigration is compromising their economic well-being. Too few see clearly the payoffs - poverty reduction, the innovation that comes from shared ideas, higher living standards from greater access to trade and higher returns to the wealthy world from investment partnerships with developing countries.”

is there a point or argument coming here, or is it just going to be a few quotes, half of them stating the obvious (though that doesn't make it any less important tbh).
Musketeer

Post by Smyrna »

Naw- I really wanted to post an easy to understand and informative graph but it would not let me. Was meant to give some info about Brexit exit as well as USA current stance. Is a really good paper from a very respected economist which basically shows via data (cold-hard evidence) that the trade policies proposed and curried by the elite do not provide the benefits promised to their constituents.

In a nut shell- Free-trade is not free- it has vastly reduced the middle-class of many western countries and contributed to inflation, wage stagnation, and job losses. Also, globalization, in its current form, only benefits the poor countries while harming the developed countries. So all these 'experts,' and world leaders decrying Brexit are simply trying to keep going a system which is shown to be parasitic, not symbiotic.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Well, it does benefit the rich countries too, but the wealth isn't distributed justly. That's true for both the rich and the poor countries. And globalisation is wrecking many of these "poor" countries ecosystems and their natural resources (which these poor countries are actually very rich in) are being plundered to accomodate the luxury of the Western middle and upper class. The system that is currently serves elites all over the world, be it in rich or poor countries. And instead of the rest of the world uniting against that, they succumb to petty arguments blown out of proportion due to religious, cultural and ethnic differences.

It seems to me like the umpteenth analysis focusing on the symptom of a much larger problem and pretending that it is the problem, while the root of the problem stays unnoticed and thus untreated.
Musketeer

Post by Smyrna »

umeu wrote:Well, it does benefit the rich countries too, but the wealth isn't distributed justly. That's true for both the rich and the poor countries. And globalisation is wrecking many of these "poor" countries ecosystems and their natural resources (which these poor countries are actually very rich in) are being plundered to accomodate the luxury of the Western middle and upper class. The system that is currently serves elites all over the world, be it in rich or poor countries. And instead of the rest of the world uniting against that, they succumb to petty arguments blown out of proportion due to religious, cultural and ethnic differences.

It seems to me like the umpteenth analysis focusing on the symptom of a much larger problem and pretending that it is the problem, while the root of the problem stays unnoticed and thus untreated.

Very well said, here here. We need a Ghandi or Martin Luther King to lead the way of change. Of course those leaders always end up assassinated.. Probably at the bequest of the elites. Its a stacked deck every way you look.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Haha yeah those nefarious elites and their meticulously orchestrated plans to squeeze the lifeblood out of the poor. I wonder how they do it.
Top quality poster.
Musketeer

Post by Smyrna »

Laurence Drake wrote:Haha yeah those nefarious elites and their meticulously orchestrated plans to squeeze the lifeblood out of the poor. I wonder how they do it.

By making offers their competitors can't refuse. (Sorry watched the Godfather today).
Crony Capitalism as well.
Birth rights.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Smyrna wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:Haha yeah those nefarious elites and their meticulously orchestrated plans to squeeze the lifeblood out of the poor. I wonder how they do it.

By making offers their competitors can't refuse. (Sorry watched the Godfather today).
Birth rights.

I can't seem to remember the part where voters were bribed at elections.
Top quality poster.
Musketeer

Post by Smyrna »

Laurence Drake wrote:
Smyrna wrote:

Birth rights.

Maybe because they were intimidated from ever going to vote?
Or simply killed for voting for the wrong candidate.
Sudan election: Fear of death and violent intimidation mars poll that is ...
Sri Lanka: Violence, Intimidation Threaten Vote | Human Rights Watch
Violence and Intimidation Against Women In Elections Needs to Stop ...
Haiti election violence, fraud and voter intimidation, Congresswoman ...
Central African Republic voters brave violence in crucial referendum ...
2016 polls 'more violent,' says monitor | Headlines, News, The ...
The strategy behind intimidation and violence in Uganda elections ...
voter intimidation | What's Next Venezuela?

Shall I continue?
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Smyrna wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Shall I continue?

It doesn't count if it's not a democracy.
Top quality poster.
Musketeer

Post by Smyrna »

Laurence Drake wrote:
Smyrna wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Shall I continue?

I suppose that is valid though it would have been relevant in your initial post to avoid the confusion.

To be concise: Aristocrats have system rigged. Brexit ONLY occurred b/c a referendum was passed (by a Prime Minister now be lambasted by said elites) which allowed for a direct vote- something exceedingly rare in cases of such importance.

The REST OF THE TIME things like this are done by ways like delegates or electoral votes or something other. It is a system which allows for measures to be passed or peoples elected that or who would not have been given the same direct voting method.

Just look at Bernie Sanders. How is it fair to have those hundreds of Super Delegates give support to Hillary BEFORE even 25% of primaries had been done? How? How do 500 individuals posses that sort of power when millions do not? Thus the establishment got their candidate in Hillary. Now just LOOK at the Trump debacle for the Repubs now. At EVERY SINGLE TURN the mainstream media (backed, run, and sponsored by aristocrats) as well as top Repubilcans like Paul Ryan, Speak of the House, have decried him a farce and said he had no chance.
Even now elites are trying to figure out how to switch Trump for another, more malleable, candidate. Just check Google for the latest on this as of yesterday to read more.

We out number the 1% by 99%. Brexit was a wake-up call to both sides. I am waiting to see the next moves made. I will certainly vote for Trump or Sanders to do my small part. In addition, I will continue trying to build wealth so that I may make more direct changes in the future. Money IS power. Power to do good or not good is in the beholder.
Musketeer

Post by Smyrna »

Remember Obamacare legislation? Over 2,000+ pages of sweeping legislation passed through by congress and signed by the president before anyone even had time to read the damn thing.
[video]Video of the Week: "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what ...[/video]
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Smyrna wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I suppose that is valid though it would have been relevant in your initial post to avoid the confusion.

To be concise: Aristocrats have system rigged. Brexit ONLY occurred b/c a referendum was passed (by a Prime Minister now be lambasted by said elites) which allowed for a direct vote- something exceedingly rare in cases of such importance.

The REST OF THE TIME things like this are done by ways like delegates or electoral votes or something other. It is a system which allows for measures to be passed or peoples elected that or who would not have been given the same direct voting method.

Just look at Bernie Sanders. How is it fair to have those hundreds of Super Delegates give support to Hillary BEFORE even 25% of primaries had been done? How? How do 500 individuals posses that sort of power when millions do not? Thus the establishment got their candidate in Hillary. Now just LOOK at the Trump debacle for the Repubs now. At EVERY SINGLE TURN the mainstream media (backed, run, and sponsored by aristocrats) as well as top Repubilcans like Paul Ryan, Speak of the House, have decried him a farce and said he had no chance.
Even now elites are trying to figure out how to switch Trump for another, more malleable, candidate. Just check Google for the latest on this as of yesterday to read more.

We out number the 1% by 99%. Brexit was a wake-up call to both sides. I am waiting to see the next moves made. I will certainly vote for Trump or Sanders to do my small part. In addition, I will continue trying to build wealth so that I may make more direct changes in the future. Money IS power. Power to do good or not good is in the beholder.

Voters could easily have not voted for either the Democrats or Hillary. The system is flawed, but that doesn't mean it's entirely rigged in favour of an elusive global 'elite'.
Top quality poster.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Globalism is predicated on a lie, the lie being that we will all prosper if we allow the powerful few to make obscene amounts of money. This is clearly not true, since those people are making their billions by screwing the many. They offshore jobs to reduce labor costs (gutting Western manufacturing and putting millions out of work), and ignore safety precautions to reduce those costs. Then they sell the products for the same price or higher back home (see: Nike), meaning that the consumers in Western nations get nothing in return. And what happens when these companies get caught doing something wrong? They pay a fine - just another price of doing business. The fines don't change their behavior because they are miniscule next to the money the corporations are raking in.

In conclusion: globalism (at least the economic variety) benefits to few at the top, and nobody else.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Globalism is a very broad concept that doesnt necessarily agree with your statement. Our implementation of globalism does more so, however I dont know its that unnuanced.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

as it is globalization is a game being played to take control of the earth... it has all to do about banking and the control of money. not so much the betterment of humanity becoming one...
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Papist wrote:Globalism is predicated on a lie, the lie being that we will all prosper if we allow the powerful few to make obscene amounts of money. This is clearly not true, since those people are making their billions by screwing the many. They offshore jobs to reduce labor costs (gutting Western manufacturing and putting millions out of work), and ignore safety precautions to reduce those costs. Then they sell the products for the same price or higher back home (see: Nike), meaning that the consumers in Western nations get nothing in return. And what happens when these companies get caught doing something wrong? They pay a fine - just another price of doing business. The fines don't change their behavior because they are miniscule next to the money the corporations are raking in.

In conclusion: globalism (at least the economic variety) benefits to few at the top, and nobody else.

howlingwolfpaw wrote:as it is globalization is a game being played to take control of the earth... it has all to do about banking and the control of money.

What you have described is not globalism.
Top quality poster.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

yeah, but we are being force fed as if it is....