Are rocks soft?

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag epiccheater
Musketeer

Are rocks soft?

Post by epiccheater »

What if rocks are actually soft but tighten up when touch them?
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Are rocks soft?

Post by bart331 »

No, next question?
France benj89
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by benj89 »

see, this guy is curious thats a good start, but he misses those 2-3 semester of physics to understand the laws of nature, then he would realize his question doesn't make sense
stay hungry stay fullish my friend
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag epiccheater
Musketeer

Are rocks soft?

Post by epiccheater »

Science and phisics are only theories, not nessicarily facts. What if phisics is wrong and rocks do actually tighten up when humans touch them?
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Are rocks soft?

Post by aligator92 »

Hit your rock with a hammer or another stone and see what happens
France benj89
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by benj89 »

epiccheater wrote:Science and phisics are only theories, not nessicarily facts. What if phisics is wrong and rocks do actually tighten up when humans touch them?
With enough ''ifs'' we could put Paris in a bottle - french proverb
what if the aoe consensus that otto/iro are the best civ in sup is wrong and the actual best civ in sup is port? - difference is here we are talking about facts that geniuses have studied since centuries.
to make it short, if actual physic is wrong on such a fact, then nobody would be able to prove it at the moment, especially here (or the aoe guy would instantly win the nobel price).
so if you want to ask a relevant question, do some research and be sure it even make sense?
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag epiccheater
Musketeer

Are rocks soft?

Post by epiccheater »

benj89 wrote:
epiccheater wrote:Science and phisics are only theories, not nessicarily facts. What if phisics is wrong and rocks do actually tighten up when humans touch them?
With enough ifs we could put Paris in a bottle - french proverb
what if the aoe consensus that otto/iro are the best civ in sup is wrong and the actual best civ in sup is port? - difference is here we are talking about ?facts that geniuses have studied since centuries.?
to make it short, if actual physic is wrong on such a fact, then nobody would be able to prove it at the moment, especially here (or the aoe guy would instantly win the nobel price).
so if you want to ask a relevant question, do some research and be sure it even make sense??

This is only your theory though.... But what if this is wrong... Though I am not a great player in AOE, I am able to beat many people with portuguese... so maybe it isnt the worst civ (I myself find the dutch worse actually, and I am dutch myself) so maybe all of your theories are wrong.. And who the hell studied the civs of AOE for centuries?
No Flag epiccheater
Musketeer

Are rocks soft?

Post by epiccheater »

aligator92 wrote:Hit your rock with a hammer or another stone and see what happens

What if everything what you notice is else for another guy.... So what if what you notice is an illusion too?
France benj89
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by benj89 »

bart, dr.legend, this is what happen when you don't get an education.
no offense epiccheater
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Are rocks soft?

Post by Jam »

Yes. I notice when I touch a rock lightly, barely applying pressure with my finger, it feels soft. When I put more pressure with my finger it feels progressively harder. Come to think of it this is the case for most of the 'hard objects' I touch. Probably our psychic quantum energy field interacts with the electronic quantum field of the rock. We expect it to be hard because we've been taught that it's supposed to be hard, and our psychic energy makes it so. The question is who first decided what would be hard and soft, or is it just inherent to humans.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Are rocks soft?

Post by Jaeger »

benj89 wrote:bart, dr.legend, this is what happen when you don''t get an education.
no offense epiccheater
You must have majored in the farthest thing ever from science or philosophy.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Are rocks soft?

Post by Jaeger »

jam wrote:Yes. I notice when I touch a rock lightly, barely applying pressure with my finger, it feels soft. When I put more pressure with my finger it feels progressively harder. Come to think of it this is the case for most of the ''hard objects'' I touch. Probably our psychic quantum energy field interacts with the electronic quantum field of the rock. We expect it to be hard because we''ve been taught that it''s supposed to be hard, and our psychic energy makes it so. The question is who first decided what would be hard and soft, or is it just inherent to humans.
Nobody ever decided what is hard, and soft, because hard and soft are relative terms' if we lived in a universe made only out of rocks and diamonds, we would think rocks are soft. If we lived in a world made out of sponges and Styrofoam, we would think Styrofoam is hard.
France benj89
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by benj89 »

ovi12 wrote:
benj89 wrote:bart, dr.legend, this is what happen when you dont get an education.
no offense epiccheater
You must have majored in the farthest thing ever from science or philosophy.
what is that even supposed to mean?
I am educated enough (in science and philosophy) to distinguish a relevant to an irrelevant question, thats all it meant. his question is irrelevant. if you cant see that, too bad for you, but I will still do a (very quick) lesson between my studies for you tonight ovi

What he tries to do is called cartesian epistemology, which has later been developed by kant who came to the conclusion in critic of pure reason that the noumenon wont be attained, we can only perceive the phenomenon relative to the sensible world. The actual physic is the result of the consensus of the phenomenon, and the hypothetical noumenon he is trying to reach isnt reachable, not by any of us here at least.

Conclusion: all this question will do is unweight some irrelevant philosophical and scientific debate done by people who are irrelevant to those two subjects who will try to answer this irrelevant question by fancy words which they heard but dont master the semantic (cf the post of Jam). sorry to tell the truth abt it, sometimes truth is harsh
Im just trying to save you guys some times, but apparently you rather go into some pseudo debate for the sake of debating (which is, I agree, intellectually stimulating in itself)
that was my last comment on this thread, feel free to continue
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Are rocks soft?

Post by divine_moon »

the topics that get posted on this forum :bravo: :7upspot: :thumbsup:
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by Metis »

Actually, some soft things do become hard when a force is applied to them. These are called rheopectic materials. Practical applications of this phenomenon are being applied to body armor and industrial lubricants. However, none of these are what we would call rocks.

I've slept on many a rock. If you can find a depression for your hips it's amazing how "soft" a sandstone outcropping can feel when you are dead tired.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Are rocks soft?

Post by Jaeger »

benj89 wrote:
With enough ifs we could put Paris in a bottle - french proverb
what if the aoe consensus that otto/iro are the best civ in sup is wrong and the actual best civ in sup is port? - difference is here we are talking about facts that geniuses have studied since centuries.
so if you want to ask a relevant question, do some research and be sure it even make sense?

benj89 wrote:
ovi12 wrote:You must have majored in the farthest thing ever from science or philosophy.
what is that even supposed to mean?
I am educated enough (in science and philosophy) to distinguish a relevant to an irrelevant question, thats all it meant. his question is irrelevant. if you cant see that, too bad for you, but I will still do a (very quick) lesson between my studies for you tonight ovi

What he tries to do is called cartesian epistemology, which has later been developed by kant who came to the conclusion in critic of pure reason that the noumenon wont be attained, we can only perceive the phenomenon relative to the sensible world. The actual physic is the result of the consensus of the phenomenon, and the hypothetical noumenon he is trying to reach isnt reachable, not by any of us here at least.

Conclusion: all this question will do is unweight some irrelevant philosophical and scientific debate done by people who are irrelevant to those two subjects who will try to answer this irrelevant question by fancy words which they heard but dont master the semantic (cf the post of Jam). sorry to tell the truth abt it, sometimes truth is harsh
Im just trying to save you guys some times, but apparently you rather go into some pseudo debate for the sake of debating (which is, I agree, intellectually stimulating in itself)
I said that because you said things like "here we are talking about facts that geniuses have studied since centuries." which is completely irrelevant, and "...make sure it (original question) even makes sense?" and I cant imagine how his question could be unclear or not make sense. You say he doesnt understand the question doesnt make sense because he is missing a few semesters of physics' you take a really practical approach to this question which is clearly just philosophical. No matter how good you are at physics, you know that theoretically anything could happen. For example, tomorrow you could drop a pen that would travel upwards instead of downwards, and we would realize we had an incomplete understanding of gravity.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Are rocks soft?

Post by bart331 »

benj89 wrote:bart, dr.legend, this is what happen when you don''t get an education.
no offense epiccheater

True this is sad, ill go with the theory he got this crazy idea from school. Cant imagine ppl in caves thousands of years ago wondering about such bullshit
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

ovi12 wrote:
benj89 wrote:With enough ifs we could put Paris in a bottle - french proverb

benj89 wrote:what is that even supposed to mean?

I said that because you said things like "here we are talking about facts that geniuses have studied since centuries." which is completely irrelevant, and "...make sure it (original question) even makes sense?" and I cant imagine how his question could be unclear or not make sense. You say he doesnt understand the question doesnt make sense because he is missing a few semesters of physics' you take a really practical approach to this question which is clearly just philosophical. No matter how good you are at physics, you know that theoretically anything could happen. For example, tomorrow you could drop a pen that would travel upwards instead of downwards, and we would realize we had an incomplete understanding of gravity.
Im sure goodspeed would have something caustic to say about that.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Are rocks soft?

Post by bart331 »

It is a true sign u dont understand physics, or are completely retarded
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Yes, clearly those who do not share your views are completely retarded.
No Flag epiccheater
Musketeer

Are rocks soft?

Post by epiccheater »

frycookofdoom wrote:Yes, clearly those who do not share your views are completely retarded.

Hmm seems like democracy these days...
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Are rocks soft?

Post by MCJim »

This is an AoE3 forum, why are we talking about rocks? O_o
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Are rocks soft?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Aren't cannons essentially used to fling giant rocks at people?
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Are rocks soft?

Post by bart331 »

frycookofdoom wrote:Yes, clearly those who do not share your views are completely retarded.

Yes, good summary. But i left the option of unfamailiar with physics also open, just in case
France iNcog
Ninja

Are rocks soft?

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.