Twitch vs. YouTube Gaming

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

Who wins ? You decide !

Twitch
54%
YouTube Gaming
46%

Total votes: 63

No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

I doubt any of us can vote because we have yet to see YouTube gaming in action.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

aoefan4life wrote:I doubt any of us can vote because we have yet to see YouTube gaming in action.
I voted. For youtube because I like youtube.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

i'm guessing utube will take over in a while.. ?
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Wow, really... Ya, well Google/YouTube pretty much own the world, and soon they will own gaming. Definitely good for gaming world, as there will be a lot more coverage
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

I think YouTube will enable a lot of free features that are normally dedicated to "premium users" in Twitch. And once it has killed the competition it will be much more resttrictive, I just hope this will not happen. But overall that's good news for the "consumers".
I voted Twitch but there are many things I hate about it such as the quality restriction for the non-subscribers. Sometimes, the best quality you can get is "medium"...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments ... e_highest/
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Filippos
Crossbow

Post by Filippos »

incog wrote:The one thing I don''t get is how youtube is profitable
advertisements, advertisements everywhere, lots of them.
Netherlands Qulala
Crossbow

Post by Qulala »

i think youtube will win, also it is easy to watch past videos on youtube, and we are already used to that, and the audience is way bigger.
for somone like interjection and venivedivici who already have relatively big youtubechannel i think it is handy,
on the other hand for newcomers it is maybe less good. although i dont know how it is going to be, but it is nice from twitch that you check a certain game and see all the live streams of that particular game.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

I totally agree with the last point ! If you want to download vods for personal use, try this Twitch VoD Downloader v2.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

I'm sure Youtube/Google will take over Twitch at some point.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Post by DerMaxinator »

mcjim wrote:I''m sure Youtube/Google will take over Twitch at some point.
+1
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

incog wrote:The one thing I don''t get is how youtube is profitable

I think I read somewhere that youtube isnt profitable at all. Its just something that gives google more power.

A lot of these services dont make profit at all. Yesterday I read that twitter isnt making profit either for example.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

i like youpo** -tube
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

drlegend wrote:Why do people waste their valuable time watching other people play games instead of playing the games themselves? I think there was an SP episode about this and they said it is because people are becoming less social and have fewer real-life friends and family members to play games with so they resort to online Let''s Plays. What do you gain from just watching a stranger play though? You can play multiplayer or with online friends for the socialization.
people getting less social just sounds like some old man being angry about smart phones because he doesn''t understand them and has fingers that are so fat that he cant type correctly on it.

Honestly, watching people play games is just relaxing. I would play games for relaxation, but I find gaming to be relatively stressful to be something I''d want to spend a lot of time on after a long day at school.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

why would you watch soccer world cup or super bowl then, or just any soccer game or any football game. I'm anticipating your answer saying you don't, but same idea, it's mostly forms of entertainment which evolves. I know few old adults who know about soccer more than anyone else and are still bad at it/almost never play it
+ you learn a lot from watching other people play
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Netherlands Qulala
Crossbow

Post by Qulala »

Just like Jerom said, i play a game (a game i like, like aoe3) to relax, but its not always as relaxing as it should be(balance between ralxaing and chalanging) , so you watch someone else play the game you like, at a much higher level :P

another thing that concerns me, is that alot o the realy big streamers earn theiur living with it, are they able to do that with youtube too? like donating instantly and subscribing for money... still have to see how it will work out..
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

Twitch seems to need buffer time a lot which can be so frustrating. Personally, I have to watch a lot just because I have Mac and I downloaded the pc version (which I can play only at work).
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

drlegend wrote:It may be relaxing but a lot of the players have fans who unhealthily watch hours of their content every day instead of playing the games themselves or doing more productive things. But I agree about the sports. People should stop watching other people play sports, or dance, or survive on islands or whatever, and start doing those things themselves. And I''m hardly old, but I do see the world degenerating every year quite rapidly compared to when I was a kid.
It just comes down to what you like for entertainment. Some people are perfectly content to watch others do stuff, while other prefer to be doing the stuff themselves. I don''t understand why you don''t like people watching other people do stuff. For the most of us, sports and gaming are done for fun, for our own personal entertainment, as is watching people do these things. I can choose whatever way I want to entertain myself, whether that be watching or doing, and there is really nothing inherently better about either way. And saying that the world is getting worse and worse sounds like something an old uber conservative who just sits around all day and watches fox news would say. The world is staying about the same as it has always been and I doubt it will change much. However, I can relate much easier to Jerom''s perspective that things are getting better than tothose who say its getting worse
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:It may be relaxing but a lot of the players have fans who unhealthily watch hours of their content every day instead of playing the games themselves or doing more productive things. But I agree about the sports. People should stop watching other people play sports, or dance, or survive on islands or whatever, and start doing those things themselves. And I''m hardly old, but I do see the world degenerating every year quite rapidly compared to when I was a kid.
You sound like every old person ever
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well, I thought free time isn''t time to be productive. Like, we can always try to challenge ourselfs, and I bet some people always try to achieve stuff in life, but in my eyes life is also about sitting back and enjoying the moment. For some people that includes watching other people play video games. Why would you get upset over that?
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

drlegend wrote:There is a hard way and an easy way to understand why time is precious. I hope for you it is the latter. (facepalm)
I like to spend my precious time arguing politics on Internet forums.