I'm Rabby!

Introduce yourself! :flowers:
United States of America Astro Rabby
Crossbow

I'm Rabby!

Post by Astro Rabby »

I've been playing Aoe3 ever since DE came out, and I've been in the esoc discord for a while but am only just now joining the forums!

I main Chinese, Indians [before they were OP I swear!] and Hausa, though I try to expand my arsenal a bit every now and then [particularly trying to learn Germans rn]
I'm not very good, I float between 1000 and 1100 elo but I'm trying to improve. I hope this forum will let me do just that!
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Re: I'm Rabby!

Post by look »

welcome
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Hi Rabby
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Welcome to the community!
Australia Joshua667746
ESOC Media Team
ESO: GandalfTheWhite7

Post by Joshua667746 »

Well boy have you come to the right place! We got a lot of German pro's here so I'm sure someone who knows a good build can help you out
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

You have come to the right place !!! Check this out : viewtopic.php?t=24958
:nwc:
Australia LopsidedFluff
Crossbow

Post by LopsidedFluff »

Hi Rabby
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Ey, whatcha doin Rabby
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Hello there and welcome! Interesting to see someone who actually started off with DE here.

Some people have already linked you a few useful threads, but remember: when in doubt, pray to G (I don't think that needs any further explanation).
Crossbow

Post by Astro Rabby »

Challenger_Marco wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2023, 02:50
Oh Ive been looking at that one a lot it's...hard lol.

Thanks for all the nice welcomes everyone.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Astro Rabby wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2023, 20:20

There's absolutely no need for an ~1100 Elo player to read Guig's Guide -- not that it isn't good, and you can, and there’s good stuff for noobs -- but it's geared for optimizations at the higher end once RTS basics are mastered. We want to master those basics first.

At your level, the best thing you can do is:

-1) settings
a. play around with camera acceleration, scroll speed, easy-drag military, whether you want hotkeys/control groups to snap to units.
b. just get something you're comfortable with.
c. make sure show player score, unit training queue, show advanced resource, are enabled
d. get a mouse sensitivity you’re comfortable and accurate with

0) herd? herd

1) Send normal, good cards at the right times (standard openings e.g. 3v (age normal amount of vills at a normal time), vills and/or crates in age 2, units if necessary)
a. don't forget to send cards, unless intentional (e.g. saving for next age)
b. philosophy is: vills -> longer payoff, crates -> medium payoff, units -> immediate payoff
c. so it's good to send vills early (age 1, early age 2, when armies aren't scary), supplement with crates to get some military if wanted or needed, and ship units to do immediate damage or defend
c. just look up some standard decks, build orders in the strategy wall, or your favorite community discord.

2) Make vills all the time
a. do not have idle TC unless you cannot avoid it, e.g. aging
b. But you don’t want to queue up too many vills at one time, that hoards your food bank that could be put to more timely use, like in units

3) Spend your resources
a. unless you are saving to age. if you take fights without spending your resources, you are missing out on that many units
b. part of spending resources well is to not gather too-much of any one resource you need. this takes practice to get right.

4) Do not fight/push while aging
a. common mistake, but youve just invested a lot of res into aging, and are momentarily weak. wait to get unit upgrades and a shipment out to fight if possible

5) Consider using hotkeys, or more hotkeys than you currently use
a. although learning hotkeys can slow down your gameplay in the short-term, medium-long term it makes doing actions simpler and faster. You have MORE time. more time to think, to react, to enact, etc etc. You can start slow, and add in more as you go
b. Definitely use attack move

6) Don't be afraid to routinely glance at minimap (see potential enemy movements you may otherwise miss) & the resource/villager distributions of your resource tallies to get a hang of how the macro is going

7) Best way 2 improve is putting in repetitions with some mild mindset to want to improve, and some mild ability to reflect on how you could further improve
a. watching streamers is a good way to get the image of what form improvement may take, and will subconsciously influence your gameplay and provide an example to emulate
b. hoomans learn by imitating, first, i think

8) the counter system is mostly rock paper scissors. Exceptions take experience to understand. If you want, pause games if you don’t know what type a unit is and look at its tags and multipliers

I think the bold tips are the ones most impactful at your level, especially 3 and 4. You don't need to do anything crazy, just get some basics down.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

Lastly you can post recorded games here and get more specific feedback
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Post by VinyanyĂ©rĂ« »

callentournies wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2023, 20:40

There's absolutely no need for an ~1100 Elo player to read Guig's Guide -- not that it isn't good, and you can, and there’s good stuff for noobs -- but it's geared for optimizations at the higher end once RTS basics are mastered. We want to master those basics first.

-1) settings
a. play around with camera acceleration, scroll speed, easy-drag military, whether you want hotkeys/control groups to snap to units.
c. make sure show player score, unit training queue, show advanced resource, are enabled

0) herd? herd

1) Send normal, good cards at the right times (standard openings e.g. 3v (age normal amount of vills at a normal time), vills and/or crates in age 2, units if necessary)
b. philosophy is: vills -> longer payoff, crates -> medium payoff, units -> immediate payoff
c. so it's good to send vills early (age 1, early age 2, when armies aren't scary), supplement with crates to get some military if wanted or needed, and ship units to do immediate damage or defend
c. just look up some standard decks, build orders in the strategy wall, or your favorite community discord.

b. But you don’t want to queue up too many vills at one time, that hoards your food bank that could be put to more timely use, like in units

3) Spend your resources
a. unless you are saving to age. if you take fights without spending your resources, you are missing out on that many units
b. part of spending resources well is to not gather too-much of any one resource you need. this takes practice to get right.

a. common mistake, but youve just invested a lot of res into aging, and are momentarily weak. wait to get unit upgrades and a shipment out to fight if possible

a. although learning hotkeys can slow down your gameplay in the short-term, medium-long term it makes doing actions simpler and faster. You have MORE time. more time to think, to react, to enact, etc etc. You can start slow, and add in more as you go

6) Don't be afraid to routinely glance at minimap (see potential enemy movements you may otherwise miss) & the resource/villager distributions of your resource tallies to get a hang of how the macro is going

7) Best way 2 improve is putting in repetitions with some mild mindset to want to improve, and some mild ability to reflect on how you could further improve
a. watching streamers is a good way to get the image of what form improvement may take, and will subconsciously influence your gameplay and provide an example to emulate

8) the counter system is mostly rock paper scissors. Exceptions take experience to understand. If you want, pause games if you don’t know what type a unit is and look at its tags and multipliers

I think the bold tips are the ones most impactful at your level, especially 3 and 4. You don't need to do anything crazy, just get some basics down.
quoting so you can't delete this post later
duck
:mds:
imo
Crossbow

Post by Astro Rabby »

-1) settings

0) herd? herd

3) Spend your resources

Oh ive been playing since DE came out so i know the very basics, thank you though.
I think its mostly my micro holding me back. And forgetting how to do exploration age after i didn't play for a bit lol.
And of course i forget to queue villagers in the heat of battle sometimes.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

oh ok nvm then
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
Germany moonshine
Skirmisher

Post by moonshine »

-1) settings

0) herd? herd

3) Spend your resources

just this, yeah great work callen!
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Callens post could go on the strategy wall. Seriously
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Good evening rabby
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Crossbow

Post by Astro Rabby »

aligator92 wrote: ↑
04 Jun 2023, 20:01
Callens post could go on the strategy wall. Seriously
I second it, we need more resources for total noobs
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

This is something even top players mess up btw. An extremely simple concept but if you get it down you will be ahead of a lot of the competitive aoe3 community in this regard.
Personally I would refrain from doing this too often but yea, don't feel guilty about pausing. When Aoe2 DE came out they had a big LAN tournament, and Hera (one of the best aoe2 players) was pausing to check the tech tree in the middle of some of his tournament matches.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds: