played on gameranger. sioux FI anyone?

Introduce yourself! :flowers:
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

played on gameranger. sioux FI anyone?

Post by Squamiger »

Hello,

I played AoE3 casually on Gameranger since like, 2006 lol. I've never been very good. Finally I have a PC and I'm taking it to the bigtime-- ESO baby. It's like moving from Gary, Indiana to the Big Apple. New YAWK CITY BABY.

I'm trying to gitgud. I hover around pr19 (master sergeant) and I bump up to 20 (2nd lieutenant) if I have a good streak but then usually fall back down again.

I think one of my main problems is figuring out which civs counter other civs. I just got crushed as Sioux against Otto because apparently Sioux doesn't have a good counter to early jans. The civs I'm most comfortable on are: Sioux (favorite civ, love baiting people into my teepees), French, Spain, Ports, China.

I'm trying to learn Russia, Dutch, and Germany.

Some sioux questions I've had for a while:

1. when should I throw up my fire pit in a normal game
2. I have experimented with a Sioux FI, hitting up around 12 min with 2 trading posts and shipping DS and wakina. This has worked against slow civs like Ports or Japan but only because I caught them off guard I think and maybe they sucked. Is this viable / does anyone else do this. I feel like it could be powerful because Sioux is better on defense than people think, since you can plop down teepees in your base and amplify your units by a lot. The way I played it, I aged and then just started massing units, dropping more TCs, and booming rather than going in for a quick kill.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Re: played on gameranger. sioux FI anyone?

Post by Challenger_Marco »

1.When ur booming u make firepit and set it on faster training units/eco or during game deciding fight u need to use firepit to boost ur attack.
2.Sioux FI not always great ,only Aztecs FI is OP is heard ,overall sioux just bad on re.
:nwc:
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i know what the firepit does but I mean like, when in the build order should i build it and set vills on it, and how many vills?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Squamiger wrote:i know what the firepit does but I mean like, when in the build order should i build it and set vills on it, and how many vills?

Iirc its about 40 vills total before using the fire pit for fertility dance becomes profitable for Sioux? Them you put like 5 or 6 vills on it generally to boom. Idk tho I'm not a huge fan of booming with sioux because you will never out scale any other civ by doing so except maybe just maybe iro.
To succeed with Sioux on re patch you basically just need to mass bow riders. Cetan are decent against jans you just have to ship the wood for them to be able to actually afford them. Im currently about the same pr as you (18) btw if you would like someone to play against
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

I think the FI is a poor choice as all other civs will have an insane eco or an unkillable age 3 army by the time you hit Industrial. Having the poorest eco in the game, Sioux needs to be on the agressive side, pressuring villagers while either massing bow riders in age 2 or doing a semi FF behind the raiding pressure.
I think the fire pit becomes interesting around 10 mins to either revive the chief or use it during a big fight. So have it near a lot of vills. You will probably not really use fertility dance but only chief/war dance when needed.
Something else that becomes interesting around 18 minutes and blatantly op later on (if you can keep the game even until then) is the dog soldier big button at the tc. So if the game extends beyond 15 minutes you should aim for a timing with dogsoliders and war dance that decides the game.
EDIT: This is assuming RE patch (the official one), on EP Sioux is much different and actually has a decent eco opening up a lot of new options