Time to get news

Introduce yourself! :flowers:
United States of America rafamundez
Crossbow
ESO: Red_Hood_

Re: Time to get news

Post by rafamundez »

Mitoe wrote:Hate to say it, but to me the game feels almost as dead as it did near the end of 2014. At least at the top level. Probably more so because all of the quick search players are gone. I can still get games, but it's always against the same 10 people.

Even tournaments don't bring players back anymore, and it doesn't feel like there are a lot of players stepping up to fill the shoes of absent top players. In terms of mechanical skill it feels like the game is at an all-time low, with myself included because I have no one pushing me to be better about my mechanics; or maybe it's just that there seems to be some kind of stigma surrounding mechanics lately. Feels like people say every single mechanic is "easy" and therefore either doesn't matter in the game (as in it's not going to affect the outcome), or doesn't reflect skill.

Lies! League of Legends is still the most popular and successful esports game in the world.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Mitoe wrote:Hate to say it, but to me the game feels almost as dead as it did near the end of 2014. At least at the top level. Probably more so because all of the quick search players are gone. I can still get games, but it's always against the same 10 people.

Even tournaments don't bring players back anymore, and it doesn't feel like there are a lot of players stepping up to fill the shoes of absent top players. In terms of mechanical skill it feels like the game is at an all-time low, with myself included because I have no one pushing me to be better about my mechanics; or maybe it's just that there seems to be some kind of stigma surrounding mechanics lately. Feels like people say every single mechanic is "easy" and therefore either doesn't matter in the game (as in it's not going to affect the outcome), or doesn't reflect skill.
Yea i was hoping this tournament would bring back some older good players. Sad that with only a few days left no old players have signed up, I guess you could sort of count umeu although he's remained relatively active on the forums and on twitch,and not even 100 players have signed up.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Ive played every past tournament on one of my smurfs tho! Adriancarrot, dutchlucifer, lordraphael etc
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

umeu wrote:Ive played every past tournament on one of my smurfs tho! Adriancarrot, dutchlucifer, lordraphael etc

You forget Iamgrunt
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

I am surprised that people honestly thought that this tournament would bring old pros back, and not even the relatively recently active H2O and Blackstar, but guys from 2008. Lol
$ 4000 is not that different from $ 1000, and the presence/LAN final rounds only discourage those who are now pushing 30 or more, or who just live very far
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

At the same time: the move from escapeaoe has been a real treat - more professional casting + the new world championship are definitely a boost. Viewership seems to grow also on twitch, no?
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

I mean I don't know anything about how it feels to be at top level nor have I seen AOE3's glory days in competitive e-sports, but as a viewer and occasional player it has gotten better over the last 2 years
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Theodore wrote:At the same time: the move from escapeaoe has been a real treat - more professional casting + the new world championship are definitely a boost. Viewership seems to grow also on twitch, no?

Regarding ESOC, one-time viewership peaked with the first big tournament (1k about) and averaged like 500+ with semi matches and garja vs boneng.

It's not because production value has dropped but that the player base is largely stagnant and aging (becoming inactive). It seems there's too large a disconnect between Western and Japanese communities too.

Escape picking up coverage is certainly nice and increases exposure, but it's long-term (and short term) effect on viewership has yet to be significant. I think we're seeing excitement from the already active/semi-active fan base to bring good initial numbers, good initial subs and donations, but it will probably level out.

I don't mean to sound grim, because honestly I don't think anyone saw ESOC developing into what it is. And tournaments are being sustainably produced from community donations which is great. What we have now we've had and still have, but there's very little growth potential for aoe3, coverage is more in preparation for aoe4 and for fun.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I agree, though AOE3:DE holds hope, the big picture is AOE4, where the possibilities are potentially huge.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

What is dead may never die.

I have been playing since 2005. I still suck, still love the game and will continue supporting it as long as there is a community.
Thanks to everyone who is helping to keep this game alive!
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Warno wrote:What is dead may never die.

I have been playing since 2005. I still suck, still love the game and will continue supporting it as long as there is a community.

what is dead may never die
but rises again harder and stronger

fucking amen brother
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

rsy wrote:
Warno wrote:What is dead may never die.

what is dead may never die
but rises again harder and stronger

fucking amen brother

Yes, like Hairy's wood! Especially in the morning. Very hard and strong.

Also, don't fuck Amen's brother. He's only 17.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@deleted_user4 depending on microsoft's release plan and how they would like to push aoe2:de and aoe3:de, i actually somewhat expect a resurgence for our beloved games providing they put just half their back into it

i mean aoe2 just had it's largest stream ever this past weekend, right? 19 thousand viewers for the HC2 finals. there is still a sizable demand for these games
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Cometk wrote:@deleted_user4 depending on microsoft's release plan and how they would like to push aoe2:de and aoe3:de, i actually somewhat expect a resurgence for our beloved games providing they put just half their back into it

i mean aoe2 just had it's largest stream ever this past weekend, right? 19 thousand viewers for the HC2 finals. there is still a sizable demand for these games

for aoe 2 because its the game of most peoples childhood. aoe 2 probably has the best viewer/ player ratio of all games on twitch. Theres maybe like 4 to 5x more players than aoe3 has, ( id guess like 5000 online players across all platforms on average ) but theres easily 20 or 40 x as many viewers. ALso those viewers donate and sub way more than aoe 3 viewers. ALmost no one subs or donate in aoe 3 while a lot actually do in aoe 2. T90 has like 4 k subs regularly, now is at 7 k cause of HC 2 viper has around 1.5 k regularly and then theres memb daut mbl and a bunch of others who all have sizeable subs+ plus donations. Its fairly common that some people donate 1k plus to streamers.
THeres big demand for aoe 2, but not for aoe 3.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.