Trigger Happy

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Re: Trigger Happy

Post by onfiregun17 »

I took a look at your map, and right off the bat I do have to say that your map design looks great. IMO, a lot of amateur scenario designers may have great ideas but they can't create an effective map to do so. The eye candy is pleasing and not too overwhelming, so good on that. Now onto my constructive criticism.

1) Lack of Cinematics
For an RPG, you really should have cinematics added in your scenario. It's the best way to effectively introduce your scenario's goals and the best way to start it. If you don't have Reyk's editor, I highly suggest you get it. You might also want to add cinematics for when you have in-game dialogue and to end your RPG.

2)Trigger Crashing
I also know that I could have done shop trick triggers, but my computer started crashing @≈80 conditions and effects.

This isn't an issue with the amount of conditions/effects. A lot of scenarios will run hundreds or thousands of triggers will lots of effects and conditions within them (my own included). If you're having issues with the game crashing, it's because of a trigger conflict within the scenario. That's where you'll need to figure out which one isn't working.

3) Kill Triggers
Now that I've actually looked at your scenario, it's a single player RPG right? If that's the case then you can actually use the condition "QV Player Dead Units" to track what units you've killed.

So you're off to good start. Add in some cinematics, some more triggers for game play, and I think you'll be in a much better position. :smile:
If you want an example of a great RPG, I've included Zelda which is probably one of the best RPG's created for AOE3. You should be able to get some ideas from it.
Attachments
Zelda.age3Yscn
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

i've tested it for ~ 2min then i stopped, mainly because of the points onfiregun already mentioned.

The map looks great, but something is broken. If triggers don't work (eg. the code in the typetest file is broken that is used in the trigger) and are active, then you usually see that the intro won't load anymore. So i couldn't really test it, because i didn't know what to do. The wife in your scenario even attacked me and i only found her because i had looked at the map earlier ;)
No Flag Root_Foot
Crossbow
ESO: Root_Foot

Post by Root_Foot »

onfiregun17 wrote:If you're having issues with the game crashing, it's because of a trigger conflict within the scenario. That's where you'll need to figure out which one isn't working...So you're off to good start. Add in some cinematics, some more triggers for game play, and I think you'll be in a much better position. :smile:
If you want an example of a great RPG, I've included Zelda which is probably one of the best RPG's created for AOE3. You should be able to get some ideas from it.

So uh... I haven't done the campaigns for AOE3 because I thought they looked cheesy and the only custom scenario I've seen by another player is the colloseum. I had NO IDEA about how much was possible with the scenario editor until I looked at this Zelda rpg. Just...wow. Guy spent a lot of time on it.

So I'll tinker with the cinematic function, which I've never used, and that will keep me busy for a while. But I do have a question - how does one zoom farther than the standard maximum to make these up close cutscenes?
No Flag Root_Foot
Crossbow
ESO: Root_Foot

Post by Root_Foot »

Also I'm looking at the healing triggers in the Zelda scenario and they're way more complicated than the "Damage Unit> negative amount" effect. Anyone care to explain this to laymen?
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

So uh... I haven't done the campaigns for AOE3 because I thought they looked cheesy and the only custom scenario I've seen by another player is the colloseum. I had NO IDEA about how much was possible with the scenario editor until I looked at this Zelda rpg. Just...wow. Guy spent a lot of time on it.

Ah, welcome to the rabbit hole of scenario designing. Your possibilities are limited to the bugs within the editor itself :uglylol:
You'll definitely need some trigger packs to get properly started. Take a look at this thread from Heaven Games and download all the trigger packs there. There's a lot more trigger packs out there but that should be a good start. Also, if you haven't already, download Reyk's mod. It's crucial, which is why I mention it again. :P

So I'll tinker with the cinematic function, which I've never used, and that will keep me busy for a while. But I do have a question - how does one zoom farther than the standard maximum to make these up close cutscenes?

Once you have Reyk's mod installed, go into the editor and look at the top bar. From there go to Cinematics --> Pitch Editor. You'll be able to zoom in/out and adjust the pitch (angle). That will let you do what you need and more.

Also I'm looking at the healing triggers in the Zelda scenario and they're way more complicated than the "Damage Unit> negative amount" effect. Anyone care to explain this to laymen?

Could you post the triggers that you're referencing? There's quite a few conditions and effects that you could use for healing, especially considering how you want to do it.

One more important note. The reason I posted Zelda is to show exactly what is possible with the editor. It's a crazy powerful (and buggy!) tool that you have at your disposal. Use that as a template of sorts to create the scenario you have in mind. The cinematics, storytelling, action, and above all the triggers are seriously a master piece. You should use that as an example when creating the scenario you want to. Also, trigger groups are your best friend. Use them.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Bump.

Sorry for a lack of research. I'm just looking to mess around with the scenario editor. I'm just looking to emulate an aggressive AI. The AI gets units and attacks you in waves. I've been playing around with some of the stock triggers but it has come to my attention that you can download trigger packs from people?
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

@kami_ryu From my never finished scenario tips and tricks draft :smile:
The SC-P 6.0 triggerset has some armytriggers, but i've never used them so far. (http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... ileid=2419)

How to add your own triggers:

Everytime you save a scenario, it will show you the triggers used in this scenario in the trigtemp-file.

There are two aoe trigger folders on your pc, one is your personal and one is the installation folder.
Personal folder: trigger3/trigtemp.xml
Your aoe3 installation folder: aoe3/trigger3/typetest.xml
(trigger1= Nilla, 2=TWC, 3=TAD), Here you can edit the conditions and effects of the triggers and add your own.

You can find triggerpacks here: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/l ... ch=trigger (eg: m925, onfiregun17, Consti's (SCP) Triggerpack)
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

yep, new trigger packs are basically essential for serious scenario development. If anyone ever needs a trigger effect they can't find, shoot me a message, as they are pretty easy to write generally