Squamiger's Giant World map - for those who like empire building

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Squamiger's Giant World map - for those who like empire building

Post by Squamiger »

Hello ESOC,

I wanted to share a pretty basic scenario I've made, that I think is really fun if you enjoy the empire-building aspects of AoE3 combined with team or FFA gameplay.

I present: the World Map, by Squamiger! This map is basically just a giant, to-scale map of the world. 8 players start on tiny islands on the edges of the map, with three hardy courer du bois, two bold explorers, a covered wagon to build their town center, and a flat boat. It is up to each player to decide where to land and establish their base.

I just played a 6 person FFA with this map on ESO, and it was quite fun! I started in Mexico and was driven out, only to rebuild in Africa. Then I was pincered by two players, one from South Africa and one from the middle East. I barely escaped and rebuilt for a third time in California.

NOW with herdable hunts and native TPs!

I had a good time, but like I said, this is a very basic scenario. I have no idea how to do a lot of things. A few things to note:

1. because the map is so huge, a game can really drag on. That's sort of the point of this map though, it's made for players who like long games with lots of building, fighting, escaping, and rebuilding.

2. resources are relatively evenly distributed. there is a small amount of fish and its spread very far out, to discourage fish booming and encourage taking map control.

3. This is scenario meant for multiplayer so there is no AI for single player, as it's not a random map. This also means players cannot use their normal HC decks. Also, I have been too lazy to build good decks for each civ, since that takes a ridiculous amount of time as it has to be done in one session. That means that everyone plays with a level 10 HC, which limits the economies and militaries in certain ways. It just means map control is even more important!

Enjoy!
Attachments
World_by_squamiger3.age3Yscn
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
worldmap.jpg
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Re: Squamiger's Giant World map - for those who like empire building

Post by AraGun »

This is a fun concept I remember playing world maps in aoe 2. Could you upload a screenshot of the minimap?
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

yea, I just edited the main post to include a picture!
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

nice map ;)

2) Enable natives (native manager), draw a traderoute (you find both in the menu), place a gaia socket on the traderoute or the native gaia socket on the map.
3) You can't choose your own decks in scenarios, so you have to provide good decks. Making decks is time consuming, because you have to remake them from scratch each time you want to change something quickly. Don't click on the 2nd london homecity or you'll get a bug. If you know how to code a random map (xs file), then you can choose your own homecities.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

thanks! I updated the file to have native tps now. I was trying to make HC decks but as you said it's incredibly time consuming having to re-get all the cards whenever I want to make a change.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

Nice!!!

Can this be enabled for 3v3?

Maybe nomad in a fast boat, starting in the middle?
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

you can play 3v3 for sure. But I dont think you can start in Nomad mode since it's a scenario, not a custom map. But I could experiment with having everyone start in the middle rather than on the edges. I chose the edges because it makes the journey to find your base much longer, which theoretically discourages people from just immediately plopping down and raiding everyone, and encourages people to explore and find their own little niche.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

Squamiger wrote:you can play 3v3 for sure. But I dont think you can start in Nomad mode since it's a scenario, not a custom map. But I could experiment with having everyone start in the middle rather than on the edges. I chose the edges because it makes the journey to find your base much longer, which theoretically discourages people from just immediately plopping down and raiding everyone, and encourages people to explore and find their own little niche.

Then the incentive might be to plop down close to your starting boat.

If all start in the middle, you could balance out by placing better resources on the farther continents (Asia / America). Placing in a suez canal would also help with movement in the early stages.

Would be awesome if this could be a random map.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

oh the lag is gonna be neat :')
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

@Squamiger
But I dont think you can start in Nomad mode since it's a scenario, not a custom map

You could totally have the game start in nomad mode. It would just require a few triggers to add a covered wagon. If you need help with that let me know :P
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

onfiregun17 wrote:@Squamiger
But I dont think you can start in Nomad mode since it's a scenario, not a custom map

You could totally have the game start in nomad mode. It would just require a few triggers to add a covered wagon. If you need help with that let me know :P

Yeah, could you tell me how to make it a nomad start? I already have it start with the covered wagon unit, which gives the starting vills and crates with the TC, I believe. But it would be nice if it also game the explorer for each specific civ as well, so non-Euro civs could get their monks and warchiefs.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

Easiest way to do this would be to utilize the "SC Starter" effect from Mister SCP's trigger pack. You'll need to use one effect per player, and make sure that the parameters "Use Explorer" and "Use TC Wagon" are set to true. This will spawn the appropriate explorer(s) for each civ along with spawning the TC wagon.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Looks good but the UK is still very small :(
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

8-) it's accurate and to scale 8-)
No Flag takdcnve
Crossbow

Post by takdcnve »

Hello.
I'm quite interested in your map.
I'm a new member and I'm don't know why AI can't work in Scenario mode or your map.
Can you show me how to make the AI ​​work on your map?.
Thank you!
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

takdcnve wrote:Hello.
I'm quite interested in your map.
I'm a new member and I'm don't know why AI can't work in Scenario mode or your map.
Can you show me how to make the AI ​​work on your map?.
Thank you!

:/ i'm afraid it won't because it's not a random map, its a scenario, and I didn't program any AI. It's meant for online multiplayer games. Host a game on ESO in the evening (im pacific US time) and I'll come join you!