UI 3.0 Design Suggestions

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Re: UI 3.0 Design Suggestions

Post by Sargsyan »

Kao wrote:
Sargsyan wrote:showing shipment arriving time like it shows to the player ?
This should be possible, we will try to achieve so. It was planned :hehe:.
also would be cool if units in queue also showed the batch completion time as well in the same fashion
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

3 main bars at the middle, eco power, mil power, total res gathered. Remove recalculated eco and just take vils etc. if you can stage coach too. mil power is based on amount of the res units costs, or lets say xp. total res is end game stat.
4 side columns have array of images, have no texts or explanations only images, location of them already means which player has them(left or right). Thus they save space, they can be scrolled down with mouse wheel. 3 of them categorized as desired (units, buildings, techs etc.) 4th them is caster's choice from an array. At the bottom of the 4 columns, selected cards are seen. Bottom screen has only map on left, unit/building UI is on the right as current EP UI.
The top ui can be replaced to bottom but it would be harder to fit but if you can why not.

Where to put current res, vil distribution? I dont know but they dont cover much space so can be found place.
Attachments
EZ
EZ
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Do you want to clog the ui more, it should be concise rather than obtrusive

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

It is in terms of there will be no texts, also casters and watchers will less focus on what casters select to show; only simple images they are easy to read and doesnt take much space. Currently it is very common for casters to speculate and lose 10-15 seconds to search a tech, units lost etc.(also units can have number right below so no need to scroll over. I can draw a more detailed one but cant bother really, i just gave the idea.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

There's a lot of dead time when you're sort of just speculating what someone is doing, so searching for a tech in that time i don't think is bad, it's not like you lose fights because of it etc.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

In SC2 you can see what units/buildings players are selecting at any time. I feel like this wouldn’t be possible, and if it is it would probably lag or something, but if it did work it would be an incredible addition to the observer UI.
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: filoual

Post by Kao »

Mitoe wrote:In SC2 you can see what units/buildings players are selecting at any time. I feel like this wouldn’t be possible, and if it is it would probably lag or something, but if it did work it would be an incredible addition to the observer UI.
I think it's like the position of the screen on the minimap, not sent through network. (both are suppositions from me)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Show APM?
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

Post by Kao »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Show APM?
Already answered to this. Tho Kev found an idea, we will try to see if it's doable, and most important without any lags.
But I don't understand why people want to see APM so much while a lot of those actions are just useless clicks. Not all, but a lot, transforming APM in something not really concrete nor useful.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Kao wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Show APM?
Already answered to this. Tho Kev found an idea, we will try to see if it's doable, and most important without any lags.
But I don't understand why people want to see APM so much while a lot of those actions are just useless clicks. Not all, but a lot, transforming APM in something not really concrete nor useful.
It's fun.
Netherlands onabudget
Crossbow
ESO: onabudget

Post by onabudget »

Here's some suggestions from someone who only knows the UI from streams and has never used it personally:

- Observe with delay. Would be awesome for stream chat.
- Show fog of war for only 1 player. (assuming that isn't a feature right now as casters never show it)
I'm not a smurf, I'm just very inconsistent ^_^
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Reposted from UI 2.3 thread: (also i think this has been mentioned by people above but i hope this explains a little better)

"have an extra pop up window near to the option for the recalculated eco or a new display option for the bottom part of the UI which shows current gather rate for resources. This would be useful for longer games judging states of eco for example: Player A is on mills with both tech up grades and refrigeration so mill is this gather rate of is 1.5 food/sec per vill, however player B is fishing with just gill nets but has rendering plant and the fish market cards so his boats gather at 1.8 food/sec per boat.

This is not the same as trying to calculate or extract current food/sec being gathered from all sources at that point as it will appear to be messy due to continuously changing as well probably near impossible to do accurately due to any idle time.

The UI would show a hunt icon then a number, wood, coin, mill, plantation, fish, whale (as these are variable and the other income sources in the game are static). (berries could be ignored if space is tight).

The reason I think this is a useful suggestion for implementation is sometimes in a late game where a player may ship Eco theory and the caster says "oh his eco is now 10% better" is usually not true at all and is frustrating due to players having other eco techs/shipments already sent as well as other factors like different villager distribution/upgrade combinations as well as static incomes like TP's / banks / factories."

*note numbers quoted are for example and are not correct"
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote: The UI would show a hunt icon then a number, wood, coin, mill, plantation, fish, whale (as these are variable and the other income sources in the game are static). (berries could be ignored if space is tight).
This gets very messy very fast considering there are many different types of eco units like vils, cdb, SW, cannoes,shrines, TPs... you also have to include berries for our rising sun comrades, rice paddy food/farm, rice paddy coin.... not worth the hassle.
HUMMAN wrote:3 main bars at the middle, eco power, mil power, total res gathered. Remove recalculated eco and just take vils etc. if you can stage coach too. mil power is based on amount of the res units costs, or lets say xp. total res is end game stat.
while XP could give a good indication of ones military power similar to mil. pop but better because of accounting for pets and natives, it would be harder for casters to talk about these more abstract things due to loss of words and numbers.

For graphs i think it is fine as is.
For menus main people contributing to this topic should be casters as they are the ones to use this tool, for example, whenever inter casts his superior knowledge of the UI is very apparent as he can almost always show what he is talking about and find the right menu quickly.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

harcha wrote:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:
The UI would show a hunt icon then a number, wood, coin, mill, plantation, fish, whale (as these are variable and the other income sources in the game are static). (berries could be ignored if space is tight).

This gets very messy very fast considering there are many different types of eco units like vils, cdb, SW, cannoes,shrines, TPs... you also have to include berries for our rising sun comrades, rice paddy food/farm, rice paddy coin.... not worth the hassle.
Nah it would be fine, Asian civs would still have the mil/plantation icon but the stats would be drawn from the rice paddies. You would treat CDB/SW as single villagers e.g. 1 SW gathers 1 wood/s but the entire german villager eco would still say 0.5 wood per second as 1 SW is essentially 2 normal vills.

Berries could be added aswell as these are affected by the asian market techs CC/IB as well as jap techs / cards.

Cannoes still gather a rate relevant to fishing boats, the canoe may gather at 1/3 of a fishing boat (i think) but the base rate of what that fishing boat is gathering can be displayed.

If I havent mentioned already this does not includes static resource generators like shrines TP's etc as you can see their gather rate just by clicking on them. Your suggestions are valid but are just over complicating a simple idea[/quote]
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

harcha wrote:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote: The UI would show a hunt icon then a number, wood, coin, mill, plantation, fish, whale (as these are variable and the other income sources in the game are static). (berries could be ignored if space is tight).
HUMMAN wrote:3 main bars at the middle, eco power, mil power, total res gathered. Remove recalculated eco and just take vils etc. if you can stage coach too. mil power is based on amount of the res units costs, or lets say xp. total res is end game stat.
while XP could give a good indication of ones military power similar to mil. pop but better because of accounting for pets and natives, it would be harder for casters to talk about these more abstract things due to loss of words and numbers.

For graphs i think it is fine as is.
For menus main people contributing to this topic should be casters as they are the ones to use this tool, for example, whenever inter casts his superior knowledge of the UI is very apparent as he can almost always show what he is talking about and find the right menu quickly.
I think it's important to realise that 9/10 the most useful pieces in the menu will be Shipments sent, because it's pretty important to see what/when a player has sent an important shipment, units in queue/military units because these are the most important in judging the outcomes in fights. Things like techs being researched are also nice but a lot of the time you can tell when a tech is researched or being being researched when you click on a unit. Three at the bottom sort of fixes this as you want to at least one of these important metrics open at all times to be able to read the pace of the game, with a third instead of the current two you can have two open at all times, e.g having units in queue and shipments sent, while also being able to then check on stuff that isn't important 90 percent of the time.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Brazil Youssef
Skirmisher
ESO: Youssef2709

Post by Youssef »

units and building lost in resources.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:Your suggestions are valid but are just over complicating a simple idea
Treating CDBs same as vils - so you essentially display two vastly different numbers or do you adjust the cdb number to fit a villager, or do you normalize both to percentages, 100% being a unupgraded basic villager, do you then normalize the french values?

Then all the various sources for one resources is still a mess? What if one side has villagers constantly gathering due to good map control and even spreading while other has constant walking from hunt to hunt due to bad map control or bad macro? What is the point of this indication then?

Can't really group mills together with ricefood/farms due to different base gather rates and walking mechanic, same with plantations and ricegold.

I think its best we leave vil techs as something you find by clicking on vils. I think all this additional info overcomplicates the UI. In the end often macro stuff will be of more importance than the number of upgrades one has over the other, considering that people avoid playing mirrors.

I do think it would be good if a villager working on a mill would show the mill upgrades and etc (not sure how it is currently).
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Aizamk
You could steal ideas from the spectator mode they used for ECL https://www.twitch.tv/escapeaoe/videos
And from SC2's observer mode https://www.twitch.tv/gsl/videos

The biggest thing I would like is to always show all techs in queue (maybe including shipments) like they do in AoE2 observer mode, instead of needing the casters to manually switch to it.
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

Post by Kao »

Goodspeed wrote: The biggest thing I would like is to always show all techs in queue (maybe including shipments) like they do in AoE2 observer mode, instead of needing the casters to manually switch to it.
That's something we're thinking about and trying to see how we could achieve it hehe.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Show villagers lost on the side, like in SC2
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

Post by Kao »

Do you have any picture as example? I'm a lazy man, as all devs should be :hehe:.
@Mr_Bramboy
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Kao wrote:Do you have any picture as example? I'm a lazy man, as all devs should be :hehe:.
@Mr_Bramboy
http://prntscr.com/p6z9sw

Left side. It shows how many workers were lost in the last x seconds.
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

Post by Kao »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Kao wrote:Do you have any picture as example? I'm a lazy man, as all devs should be :hehe:.
@Mr_Bramboy

Where are decided those last X seconds?

And for AOE3, you would like to it to be for all lost villagers or same as in SC2, lost in the last x?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Kao wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
@Mr_Bramboy

Where are decided those last X seconds?

And for AOE3, you would like to it to be for all lost villagers or same as in SC2, lost in the last x?
In the last - say 15 - seconds. The idea is to highlight the number of lost villagers easily. Think of a hectic situation like a Russian rush vs India where the Indian player is fighting tooth and nail to survive. This addition would allow spectators to easily see the number of lost villagers.

In SC2, the popup doesn't disappear if a villager has been killed in the last x seconds. So if a player loses villagers continuously for two minutes without any gap longer than 15 seconds in between the massacre, the number on the popup would be cumulative.