UI 3.0 Design Suggestions

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: filoual

Re: UI 3.0 Design Suggestions

Post by Kao »

[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:Can't really think of anything that wasn't already said except please bring back preset lighting 3 from obs UI 1.7.
I've never used nor seen 1.7. Aiz does of course haha. But if you could explain to me a bit more what this was?
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon
ESO: Amsterda

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Kao wrote:
[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:Can't really think of anything that wasn't already said except please bring back preset lighting 3 from obs UI 1.7.
I've never used nor seen 1.7. Aiz does of course haha. But if you could explain to me a bit more what this was?
Well I hope Aiz still has the lightsets, basically UI 1.7 featured 4 preset lightings for the map besides the default one that you could switch between during game. Don't really think I could describe the lightsets themselves since I only vaguely remember them at this point but I could install the UI and see if I can get an obs game started with it to showcase the lightset.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

You can actually set your own light level with the console while using the UI, maybe have a go and try and find what you remember it to be @[TLDT]Amsterda

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

Post by Kao »

[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:
Kao wrote:
Well I hope Aiz still has the lightsets, basically UI 1.7 featured 4 preset lightings for the map besides the default one that you could switch between during game. Don't really think I could describe the lightsets themselves since I only vaguely remember them at this point but I could install the UI and see if I can get an obs game started with it to showcase the lightset.
Okay I understood enough of the request, I just wonder why Aiz removed it. There might be a reason, depending on it we'll see if we can bring this back.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

With UI 2.2 console you can set any lightset available in all of AoE3.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Dunno if someone has said this before but one thing that would actually be insane would be auto updating scores.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Ah yeah I think that was mentioned a while ago. Would be great obviously, but not sure how possible it is considering the rehosts, people restarting their game, etc.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Kaiserklein wrote:Ah yeah I think that was mentioned a while ago. Would be great obviously, but not sure how possible it is considering the rehosts, people restarting their game, etc.
For reshosts, "don't count score if game time less than 5 minutes" seems like a rule that would cover 90% of cases, as long as the UI had a option to adjust manually for exceptional cases.

As far as game restarts go, I think it may be able to persist data across restarts. Reset score if the players change.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I got excited and started making something. This is just some random ideas, I'm pretty sure there's better ways of laying things out. It's also not finished, I think where the techs are shown in the bottom right... that should show all techs complete including stuff like 'cav combat'. When you click a unit, it will show the relevant techs. I imagine the market techs being grouped together so it's easy to spot them.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

I like the way the bottom panel is much better in interjection's suggestion here. I am not a fan of the queues in the top left, it's hard to tell whose is whose. I'd rather see the bottom UI a little taller if it mean queues could fit there.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Another thought: it'd be really nice to be able to see "units killed in last minute" or something like that. This would really help with looking at raids.

I was also thinking a bit about more high-level "modes" a caster could toggle between, showing important things for that situation. Things like "battle", "raid", "boom/economy", that capture extra info about particular situations. Toggling between the current drop-downs during a game is too hard to do on the fly. Intejection might have ideas about what kinds of categories and what should be shown in each.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Interjection wrote:Image

I got excited and started making something. This is just some random ideas, I'm pretty sure there's better ways of laying things out. It's also not finished, I think where the techs are shown in the bottom right... that should show all techs complete including stuff like 'cav combat'. When you click a unit, it will show the relevant techs. I imagine the market techs being grouped together so it's easy to spot them.
That’s super helpful and exactly what we’re looking for!

What about the eco milit pop bar? How might you redesign it?
oranges.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Think of this as some random ideas, I can put something more definitive together soon. I'd like to be involved in the dev process if you'll have me on board

@musketeer925 I'm also starting to think the bottom panel showing 'all units' should home the techs being researched and units & buildings in queue
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

musketeer925 wrote:I like the way the bottom panel is much better in interjection's suggestion here. I am not a fan of the queues in the top left, it's hard to tell whose is whose. I'd rather see the bottom UI a little taller if it mean queues could fit there.
I think you would just move teal's queue over to the right honestly. Putting any more down the bottom would become a bit too much asso you don't want to make the screen so it is a long thin rectangle to look at the actual gameplay. It would be hard to watch for flanks with armies etc.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Having a universal queue like that on screen would be a tremendous improvement to the current UI, for sure. I don't really think you need to have the shipments sent on the bottom UI bar, though--you could simply include it in the universal queue.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

My pet peeve with these UIs is how much screen they end up covering. The most important thing is actually seeing the gameplay, that's the top priority imo. Seeing info and data about the current state of the game is secondary. If you sacrifice gameplay vision for info/data, you're doing it wrong, imo.

Of course, you can try to reach a decent compromise between the two. I think I would cut down on the size of those bottom panels: the one that surrounds the minimap and the one that provides a background to selected unit info. They need to be at the same level as the main panel that displays player info.

The unit portrait is definitely not an essential item in the UI: it could be either taken out or resized to a tiny version of the current one. It takes way too much space that could be used in a better way. And if you lower all the items displayed in the main, central panel a bit and increase the height of the panel only slightly, you can accommodate all those items that are hanging out, on top of the panel (the dropdown menu that selects what is currently displayed and the camera control button).

The military pop and econ pop graphs could be assimilated into the top score bar, where players' names are displayed. A much slimmer, but still visible version of it could fit in there, imo.

I could whip out a Photoshoop mockup, if anyone's interested in these ideas.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

This is another thing from Starcraft that I would love to see. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet in this thread. Basically, the bar shows relative incomes. This could be a togglable button and it doesn't have to be on the screen the entire time.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Germany is the protoss of aoe3.
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon
ESO: Blastkiller

Post by Blastkiller »

Aizamk wrote:
Interjection wrote:Image

That’s super helpful and exactly what we’re looking for!

What about the eco milit pop bar? How might you redesign it?
beautiful, this thing I wanted to see is the top
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon

Post by Blastkiller »

the technologies of the market are okay type after developed leg nipples replace hunting dogs, I don't remember who had already proposed this idea
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon

Post by Blastkiller »

I was thinking that if you could make a category just for lost buildings, lost units, type of real-time statistics, resources collected, expenses, troop expenses, etc.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

think we can use the normal UI instead of the minimezed one to fit more info in there.
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Please no, the screen is already rather crowded as is.
Tbh I wouldn't show units and buildings in queue. This is not something you want to see constantly, more situational imo.
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

Post by Kao »

In fact we are doing the UI from scratch, so that's not a question of maximized versus minimized :hehe:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Buildings in queue don't really matter but being able to see the shipments otw and the units in queue is a good addition. Currently, the casters have to guess if a shipment is on the way or if some units are about to pop while it's game changing.