[MOD] Age Of Empires 3: Overhauled Edition

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

[MOD] Age Of Empires 3: Overhauled Edition

Post by SquidTheSid »

Over the past month, I've been working on a unit rebalance mod that's turned into a nearly comprehensive rework (in some ways). Many civs received changes/tweaks including:
  • * Full Unit Reworks (Japanese Samurai, Aztec Jaguar Prowl Knights & Skull Knights, etc.)
    * Reworked civilization bonuses (Portuguese gets free cows on shipments, Sioux gets free bison on Age up, Dutch gets colonial halbs, etc.)
    * Nerfs (Colonial stat Cuirassiers, removing Oprichnik box, Shipment points removed on Daimyo, 4k HP Agra Fort, etc.)
    * New/Reworked HC Cards (Industrial Age Sioux farming card, Strelet Horde increases Strelet range, Spanish hand infantry combat affects archers, etc.)
    * And much more!
Download:
You can download the mod here: https://github.com/SquidTheSid/Age-Of-E ... d/releases

Q&A:

Q: Why make this when ESOC exists?

A: ESOC, for the most part, is looking to stay close to RE and not drastically change the meta. I'd rather have a game that's more interesting to play, with underused techniques/strategies (livestock booming, for example) being made to be more viable.

Q: Isn't this a waste of time, especially when people won't play it?

A: Well, I've gotten community members to try it out and leave feedback, but I think above all else, this is a way to make the game more enjoyable for me to play. It's been 15 years since the game came out, and I think it needs a fresh coat of paint. if you think this mod is useless, then feel free to complain about EP instead. :smile:

Q: X is OP! Y is UP!

A: I can only do so much as an individual, and since there aren't many people online playing this mod, I can't test a lot of these changes against a wide suite of players. If you'd like to help out, you can try out the mod online with me or with others and leave feedback. I also read criticism here on ESOC as well (being the main developer, it's easy to get tunnel vision on some changes, so I'm open to a fresh view)

Q: How do I install?

A: Extract the contents of the zip file to your root Age of Empires 3 program directory. If you're on Windows, this should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Age Of Empires 3\ . If you're on Linux, this should be ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/'Age Of Empires 3'/ . If you're prompted to overwrite files in /bin/data, accept, as I make necessary edits to those files for this mod to work.

Q: Why host on Github?

A: It lets me easily host my repos, and git is great for backups/version control. I can work on balance changes on a separate patch and push them to "experimental" without affecting the main release. It also lets me find bugs more easily. Essentially, easier for me means that I spend less time publishing and more time balancing.

Q: No new maps?

A: I'm a programmer, not a map designer. Feel free to include ESOC's maps and let me know how they play, but I've only been testing on RE maps for the most part.

Q: No new civs?

A: This mod is mostly looking to overhaul civs available in the base game. I find that if I include too many, then it'll become a balance nightmare and dilute the pool of civilization bonuses/playstyles. If you want more civs, go play WOL or NE. I am open to adding in campaign civs (like USA) as fully playable civs, but that's way down the line, and if I can find interesting playstyles/gimmicks for them.

Q: Why did Aztec and Sioux get so many changes? Why did European civs get so little?

A: Aztec was a civ that I consider to be fundamentally broken in its unit roster. They have 1 colonial skirmisher unit, 1 mediocre artillery unit, and 1 colonial cavalry unit. And for some reason, they have 4 anti-cav units: Jaguar Prowl Knights, Eagle Runner Knights, Puma Spearmen, and Skull Knights. Thus, to help balance out their roster like other civs, units got reworked. As for Sioux, I didn't want to drastically alter their early game to change their identity as a nomad civ. But they had some significant flaws like arguably the worse lategame (you had to go all in by the 16 minute mark) and teepees not doing much. So Industrial Age walls and very powerful late shipments (Adoption's -40% villager train time and Three Sisters' 40% faster farm rate in particular) will help them out and let you boom a bit.

For European civs, 1). I don't play them as much as TWC and TAD civs. 2). There's a lot more overlap between them than any of the expansion civs. So if I made a change to musketeers, that would affect pretty much all of those civs. Plus, I think most Euro civs tend to be pretty well off on RE (germany, france, britain, ottoman, etc.) so they don't need much in the way of tweaks. The most I'd do is give smaller secondary bonuses like free cows on shipments via Portuguese, Ottoman mosques' xp trickles, Spanish faster shipments, etc. Germany in particular is difficult, because any small changes can make them overpowered or garbage.

Q: What's in plan for the future?

A: For V0.2 I plan on reworking many of the politicians in the game. @Interjection had some great ideas in his smackdown patch, and I've modified them to better suit my tastes. I also plan on expanding upon civilization bonuses for Britain, Germany, and France. They are as follows:
  • * Britain: Can ship in "mercenary" economic and military units from abroad. Currently limited to China and India. (Ever see Brits use FlameThrowers or Howdah? It's hilarious).
    * France: Native Trade Posts generate XP Trickles. Can build native embassies and enlist the support of Native Minor Iroquois and Cheyenne on any map.
    * Germany: Economic buildings are more expensive and limited, but generate resource trickles (yes, land grab booming exists now)
Full Patch Notes (V 0.1):
spoiler
Known Issues:
- Spanish Ballesteros RG upgrades offset all Veteran/Guard/Imperial upgrades to one position to the right.
- Certain HC cards do not display updated unit values.

Finally, special thanks to the many great ideas from the ESO community and Dansil92 for their contributions to this patch (some really interesting ideas here). I've tried to credit each change in the patch notes as applicable.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Re: [MOD] Age Of Empires 3: Overhauled Edition

Post by duckzilla »

Brilliant changes.
I like what you did to find a purpose for Meiji Restauration [- Meiji Restoration Tech now additionally ships 1 factory wagon and 4 Gatling Guns on ageup].
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

duckzilla wrote:Brilliant changes.
I like what you did to find a purpose for Meiji Restauration [- Meiji Restoration Tech now additionally ships 1 factory wagon and 4 Gatling Guns on ageup].
Thanks. Dansil gave a lot of good feedback on these changes. As for Meiji Restoration, I needed to give it something appealing that would warrant losing out on a wonder, so I think a factory wagon (plus gatling guns) is a nice thematic solution.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

To double check, does qiang pikes also get the increase range?
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

helln00 wrote:To double check, does qiang pikes also get the increase range?
Yes. Any Pikeman unit (infantry with the AbstractPikeman unit tag) gets the increased range. So Tercios, Swiss Pikemen, Puma Spearmen, etc.
France louis293
Musketeer
ESO: obelix293

Post by louis293 »

i didn't read everything in detail but as i play aztecs mainly i love the changes ,especially the change for the skull knigth being a cuir like unit exactly what aztecs miss, as it is only in age 4 and u can't spam them that much it isn't op but a very elegant legendary unit coming to complete the aztec army, the civ will still remain bit similar (colonial, strugle to forteress but still bit better, skull knigth shipment age 3 helps a lot also once they reach to age 3 to counter opposite skirm mass who probably reached age 3 way before u), maybe skirms getting double penalty vs coyote is a bit too much, can just be a bit adjusted instead like general buff on coyote for example. Great work, i also like the strelet horde card adding range in late game.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

I like the changes, but Dutch having halbs on colonial seems too broken, that just make them the best pseudo pyke-xbow civ, more than that, why would you even age up to fortress when you can win on colonial with just 2 types of units.

Talking about the cows/bisons on shipments, I see them as a free 200food, that could quite increase your remaining hunts. I would have liked to see something like that to Spain tho, rods per shipment would be not that significant, they would just serve as a defense from raids while you slow age to fortress.
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Post by dutchdude117 »

These changes seem awesome, I'd love to try it. But I don't really know how to download and install the patch. Perhaps you could release a guide.
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

dutchdude117 wrote:These changes seem awesome, I'd love to try it. But I don't really know how to download and install the patch. Perhaps you could release a guide.
So you need to go to the link I posted and download the zip file. Use whatever archive program you got (winrar, 7zip, unzip, etc.) to extract the files to your Age of Empires 3' program location. This will be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Age Of Empires 3\ (I don't know what the retail/disc path is)

If prompted to merge your ./bin/data folders and overwrite files (these are necessary for the mod to work), click yes. Make sure you back them up first if you don't want to lose anything.

Jets wrote:I like the changes, but Dutch having halbs on colonial seems too broken, that just make them the best pseudo pyke-xbow civ, more than that, why would you even age up to fortress when you can win on colonial with just 2 types of units.
Do keep in mind that Dutch Halbs have a 20% HP/damage penalty while in colonial age, and they don't get any Halb shipments until age 3. If you still need pocket siege on the cheap, pikes are cheaper and don't have that damage penalty. So it's a tradeoff.
Jets wrote:Talking about the cows/bisons on shipments, I see them as a free 200food, that could quite increase your remaining hunts. I would have liked to see something like that to Spain tho, rods per shipment would be not that significant, they would just serve as a defense from raids while you slow age to fortress.
Yeah, the bison age ups help quite a bit on low hunt maps like RE. Gives you a little bit of breathing room. But they're not enough (at least early game) to fully replace the bison shipments. Spain now receives shipments 25% faster (so it takes 25% less time to earn AND get them). Therefore, I've decided to not modify it in the meantime. Plus, they've got the best crossbowmen in the game now.
louis293 wrote:i didn't read everything in detail but as i play aztecs mainly i love the changes ,especially the change for the skull knigth being a cuir like unit exactly what aztecs miss, as it is only in age 4 and u can't spam them that much it isn't op but a very elegant legendary unit coming to complete the aztec army, the civ will still remain bit similar (colonial, strugle to forteress but still bit better, skull knigth shipment age 3 helps a lot also once they reach to age 3 to counter opposite skirm mass who probably reached age 3 way before u), maybe skirms getting double penalty vs coyote is a bit too much, can just be a bit adjusted instead like general buff on coyote for example. Great work, i also like the strelet horde card adding range in late game.
Yeah, I play a lot of Aztec (and so does Dansil) so this is the civ I spent the most time on (outside of redoing Portugal's shipments, which was a pain). I'll have to see if the double penalty on skirms is too much or not. But I think two instances of 0.75x works fine in the meantime, considering that this doesn't affect musketeers, and that coyote runners are supposed to be soft counters to skirmishers, yet they get dunked on due to their 10% RR.
Germany Makrokosmos12
Skirmisher
ESO: Templer12

Post by Makrokosmos12 »

This is much better than ESOC patch.
Soooo much better. Kinda sad they nobody will play this patch on a broad level.

Whats your PR?
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I am a very big fan of the spain changes; they are an elegant and interesting way of differentiating spain more and making them stronger.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

Makrokosmos12 wrote:This is much better than ESOC patch.
Soooo much better. Kinda sad they nobody will play this patch on a broad level.

Whats your PR?
Been on a losing streak recently, so currently sitting at PR 17. I'm sure I could grind it back up, though I'd need to pause development on the mod, which I'd rather not do.

I think, at the end of the day, ESOC and my mod seek to do fundamentally things. If you want RE+, or TAD with some balance changes and largely the same meta, then it does its job fairly well. Given my resources and the lack of community for overhauled edition, I'm not going to be as balanced.

However, if you're like me, and want something new to make each civ feel fresh again after 15 years of AoE3, then this is the way to go. Ideally, each civ would have more features to set them apart and feel more unique while still mostly preserving their identity (though if I think a mechanic is fun enough to break that, I'll go for it).

Different strokes for different folks, but I'm enjoying the modified civs.
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

V0.2 Released! I've provide some highlights of the changes, but be sure to check the patch notes for the full changelog.

Highlights:

Politician Reworks:

Naturalist: Now provides 4 Cows and 3 Settlers. For France, they get 3 Cows and 3 CDB

Philosopher Prince: Now costs 700 food to age up, but ships 400 food

Bishop: Now grants 1 free shipment instead of 2 settlers

Mohawk Statesman: Now ships 3 "rogue" native Iroquois Mantlets and 3 "rogue" Iroquois native Tomahawk.

Gentleman Pirate: Now ships 3 Barbary Corsairs instead of 2.

Viceroy: Now ships a fort wagon and increases build limit by 1

King's Musketeer: Now additionally upgrades Musketeers to veteran status

Cavalry Marshal: Now additionally upgrades Uhlans/Hussar/Cossacks to veteran status.

General: Now ships 3 Rockets/ 2 Heavy Cannons/2 Great Bombards. No longer ships infantry.

British:

New Civ Bonus: Can now ship in "mercenary" Chinese and Indian military/economic units from the HC.

- Longbowmen have guard and imperial upgrades enabled by default. Yeomen now grants a bonus 0.25x HeavyInfantry multiplier

French:

New Civ Bonus: Native Trading posts now generate XP trickles. Can build the native embassy on any map and train "Rogue" native Iroquois and Lakota warriors. Has additional native techs available at the church.

Russia:

New Civ Bonus: Can now train Grenadiers in blockhouses. Cavalry Archers can be trained in age 2, and Musketeers can build Forts by default

Villager train time reduced to 51 seconds

Oprichnik Siege damage reduced to 60 from 75, but shadowtechs 20% in fortress.

New Shipments:

- Kagul Tactics: Increases Cavalry Archer attack by 15% and gives +0.5x vs. artillery

- Palace Grenadiers: Increases Grenadier attack/HP by 20% and gives +0.5x vs HeavyInfantry

- National Redoubt: changed to make forts 15% cheaper and build 15% more quickly

Iroquois:

New Civ Bonus: Economic buildings are more expensive and are limited, but now generate resource trickles.

Politician Changes: Wise Woman ships more crates in industrial and imperial, chief ships more villagers in colonial, fortress, and industrial. Warrior additionally ships 2 tomahawks in colonial, and 2 rams in industrial

General:

Plantation wood cost reduced to 500 from 600

All native units have a 75% damage penalty against villagers in age 1 (this goes away in colonial)

Navajo rework: Now have lower HP, higher armor, deal more damage (20), and have no unit multipliers (except for 0.75x vs villagers)

British Consulate HP buff reduced to 8%

4 Grenadier shipment moved to colonial age
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

I like the Russia changes, makes them versatile on Colonial, almost like China and India. But the french changes make them better at everything once again, gaining native strategies far better than the native civs.
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

Jets wrote:I like the Russia changes, makes them versatile on Colonial, almost like China and India. But the french changes make them better at everything once again, gaining native strategies far better than the native civs.
So, right now. France is mostly an experiment to see how natives play, as ideally, I would give native civs similar mechanics (fixed natives and techs for native civs + france) on any map, since native play is really underutilized.

I think, if people like this approach, I would further go in and maybe keep in the native XP trickles for all civs. I know it wasn't popular on ESOC , but my patch makes a lot of changes, so it should fit in.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

I think the fixed natives is a great idea, but I think we could make it so that the fixed natives that train from the embassy are trained slower compared to the natives that are on the map to make it a less potential super rush or make it so that having the TP of the corresponding native allows the native embassy to train natives faster compared to the fixed native who might not have their tp on the map.
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

helln00 wrote:I think the fixed natives is a great idea, but I think we could make it so that the fixed natives that train from the embassy are trained slower compared to the natives that are on the map to make it a less potential super rush or make it so that having the TP of the corresponding native allows the native embassy to train natives faster compared to the fixed native who might not have their tp on the map.
Currently, I have to make a new native unit that's exactly the same, but with a different unit id due to some hardcoded engine stuff. Therefore, there are two different units with the exact same stats. So it'd be possible to make the fixed natives train slower, and there would still be incentive to build native TPs as you'd get the extra (faster-training) natives from there. The problem with that is that you'd get one whole settlement's worth of train limit for free, which I'm not a fan of.

EDIT: I think after looking back on it, every civ would need to get this bonus, and some natives are obviously better than others (like Rattan Shields vs IInca Bolas, for example). It'd be hard to balance, and I'm not sure the novelty is worth this pain.

Currently, I've replaced France's civ bonus with a new minor one. They build farms instead of mills and livestock pens (they gain access to farm techs, but lose steel traps), and gain a limited access to native HC shipments (Kinship Ties, Advanced Scouts, Advanced Farms, Agrarian Ways, 1/2 Farm Travois, Forest Mother). I might give them some pet shipments (like 3x Honcho) or even Warrior Culture, but 24 ranged attack/30 melee CDB seems a bit extreme given how tanky they are.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Did I already mention that I love what you did to Aztec?
It is completely absurd that they have a total of four very strong anti cav units in the original game (ERK, Puma, Skull, JPK) given that they did not even know what horses were and even less how to counter cavalry in battle.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

Aproved.. I would like to have time to play in these mods
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

duckzilla wrote:Did I already mention that I love what you did to Aztec?
It is completely absurd that they have a total of four very strong anti cav units in the original game (ERK, Puma, Skull, JPK) given that they did not even know what horses were and even less how to counter cavalry in battle.
Yeah, that's always something that bothered my about Aztec's civ design, in that they had so many redundant anti-cav units. Did they really need native dopps, native pikemen, native halbs, and native goons?

Turning JPK into melee skirms makes Aztec feel more unique and Skull Knights being mini-cuirassiers helps out with one of their biggest problems late-game: skirmisher masses.
look wrote:Aproved.. I would like to have time to play in these mods
Feel free to give it a go sometime. Installation isn't too difficult, especially since the latest version includes a simple mod manager to handle the game files.
China SquidTheSid
Musketeer

Post by SquidTheSid »

V0.35 Released! Here's a highlight of some of the changes, but be sure to check out the patch notes for a full changelog!

Highlights:

Mod Manager: I've included a basic java program that backups your data files before you install the mod, and can remove the modified data files and restore them with the original ones. It allows you to easily swap between RE and Overhauled Edition with a few button clicks. Do keep in mind that it's a very early release, so it doesn't have feature support for custom installations.

Russia Rework:

New civ bonus: Can batch train Grenadiers in blockhouses. Cavalry Archers can be trained in age 2, and Strelets build forts by default in Fortress Age.

Strelet rework: Historically, they were musketeers (it's literally in their name), and given's Russia's heavy reliance on musketeers for forts lategame, I've turned Strelets into "ruskets"
- HP: Increased to 100 from 90
- Armor: Changed to 30% melee from 30% ranged
- Ranged Attack: Increased to 12 from 10; range reduced to 10 from 12; all multipliers removed
- Melee Attack: Increased to 8 from 5; 2.5x cav and 2.0x light infantry multipliers added
- Siege Attack: Increased to 12 from 9
- AbstractHeavyInfantry and AbstractGunPowderTrooper tags added.

Grenadiers now benefits from Russia's infantry bonus (-25% cost and train time; -20% HP/damage) and train in blocks of 4 in the blockhouse.

Musketeers removed; replaced with Skirmishers (available Age 3).

Oprichnik Siege damage reduced to 60 from 75, but now shadowtechs by 25% in fortress.

Shipments:
- Strelet Combat now additionally increases range by 2.
- Kagul Tactics added: Now increases Cavalry Archer's damage by 15% and their artillery damage multiplier by 50% (3.0)
- National Redoubt now decreases Fort cost and build points by 15%.
- Palace Grenadiers added: Increases Grenadier HP/Damage by 25%
- TEAM Cheap Priests shipment cost reduction improved to -65% from -50%.
- 11/16 Musketeer shipments replaced with 10/18 skirmisher shipments
- Suvorov Reforms now turns all Strelets into Skirmishers
- Colonial 6 grenadier shipment added; fortress 6 grenadier shipment increased to 8; industrial 8/9 grenadier shipments increased to 11/12

Overall: This change makes Russia more unique, as they rely on masses of Grenadiers as anti-infantry in colonial, giving them a playstyle distinct from other European civs that's also more historically accurate. To help out, Grens are cheaper, and they have a very powerful colonial shipment to help you mass them quickly. Their industrial upgrade also lets them scale incredibly well.

France Rework:

New civ bonus: Gets additional native Home City shipments available to them (advanced scouts, farm/trading post travois, agrarian ways, warrior culture, etc.). Starts off with native HC techs instead of European and builds farms instead of mills.

Overall: France in RE was aimed as a rugged frontier civ, given that their villagers are frontiersmen and that many of their HC cards improved CDB's combat capabilities. As a result, I've shifted them to being more like the Metis peoples in real life. In game, they're more of a hybrid of native and european civs, but being more European flavored (whereas Iroquois, also a hybrid, is more native flavored). I might include some native riflemen to replace crossbows or big button techs, but this is a prelude to see how people like it.

Aztec:

New Ways Added: Aztec can now ship new ways. Unlike other native civs, it includes economic upgrades as well as military. They are:
- Military Drummers (+10% infantry speed)
- Infantry Breastplate (+10% hand infantry/archer HP)
- Counter Infantry Rifling (+1.0x heavy infantry multiplier for skirmishers - mostly intended if you have native skirmishers on the map)
- Mayahuel's Blessing (colonial 1.25 wood trickle - same as distributivism)
- Patecatl's Blessing (fortress 2.35 wood trickle - same as foreign logging)
- Cacao Cultivation (industrial 30% plantation gather rate - same as European Ore Refining)

India:

All Exalted upgrades for camels and infantry reduce their train time by 20%
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

I really like the idea of making France into a civ that really highlights it as a creole / metis society, like a combo of Iroquois and a European civ. I mean I don't think it should be added to the game because it would throw off the balance, but it's a very cool idea. You could have European buildings and units but native civ farms and tech upgrades, and a fire pit too.

I always thought that the way Aztec was made in aoe3 really just belongs in aoe2, and instead we should have got a civ called Mexico or New Spain or something, which would be a mix between AoE2 Aztecs and AoE3 Spain. It could focus on Mexico and Tenochtitlan from like 1540-1600, where you have rapid social change and Spanish rulers but still a distinct indigenous Nahuatl population. So you could have units like macehualtin and coyote runners, plus lots of native allies, plus lancers and cannons, and a factory but also a fire pit.

Really, Sioux and Iro kind of already achieve this-- both civs reflect Native American societies that have adopted European technologies like rifles and cannons, and which have also integrated into the global economic system, with plantations. Aztec should have been the same but I think they just were going for AoE2 nostalgia.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

w8 strelet didnt have the gunpowder tag before? I could have sworn they benefited from the port team hp upgrade