Map Questions

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Re: Grassy areas not everywhere

Post by mandosrex »

And uhm, another thing about your Savannah map Durokan, the edges seem to have a slightly different elevation in some parts, can you point me to the responsible codes, if it's fixable?
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

dont know what causes that (can you supply a screenshot showing exactly what you mean so we are on the same page)
IE its probably not fixable, though you could try initializing the map as 'water' instead of 'grass'
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

Sure!

Changing the map type didn't work, but it's not that important anyway.
That shallow passing though is. :D
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

I wasn't aware that any maps spawned grass everywhere.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

adjust the height of 'continent' to be higher, it might do that. could also try initializing the map as 'water' instead of 'grass', possibly it's something that can't be fixed

If you do end up changing the height of continent, you will also most likely have to change the center island and some water heights
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Re: Map Questions

Post by mandosrex »

Durokan, if I may ask for a little favor/help, can you take a look at this Sahara map and find out why Town Centers don't spawn sometimes, even for multiple players?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei61c5v0p5t4z ... ra.xs?dl=0

I tried looking at the avoid codes but I cannot find the issue. It's annoying for an otherwise great map.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@mandosrex , I think it's better to tag him: @Durokan :flowers:
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

@mandosrex
I will look into some time in the next few days. Tagging me or sending a DM is the best way to notify me because I don't always read every thread that pops up
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

mandosrex wrote:Durokan, if I may ask for a little favor/help, can you take a look at this Sahara map and find out why Town Centers don't spawn sometimes, even for multiple players?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei61c5v0p5t4z ... ra.xs?dl=0

I tried looking at the avoid codes but I cannot find the issue. It's annoying for an otherwise great map.

The starting Oasis + Forest is being placed under the town center. You could try messing around with the distance it places that away from the town center, removing it entirely, giving the TC a wider placement area (currently between 1 and 5 meters away from initial location), changing the order of implementation (oasis first, then tc) or something of the like
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

Ah, I see. I guess making the TC spawn after all of that is better. Awesome, thanks a lot @Durokan

Now... I can't figure out how to add water homecity flags to your Jabel Musa map. I'm planing to make water bigger but I tried everything to add water homecity flags and it just doesn't work, always crashes. This is beyond me, could I ask for some help again? :)

Here's the map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/orrf7jqbe2imt ... a.rar?dl=0
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

mandosrex wrote:Ah, I see. I guess making the TC spawn after all of that is better. Awesome, thanks a lot @Durokan

Now... I can't figure out how to add water homecity flags to your Jabel Musa map. I'm planing to make water bigger but I tried everything to add water homecity flags and it just doesn't work, always crashes. This is beyond me, could I ask for some help again? :)

Here's the map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/orrf7jqbe2imt ... a.rar?dl=0

Would you mind adding those as attachments to the post as I do on my map workshop so that I don't have to download a rar from dropbox? You can do that by scrolling down when making the post and clicking on the "Attachments" tab and adding each file, the .XS is good enough for viewing your code.

If you are able to place huntables/gold mines/trees correctly then you should be able to do water flags; they aren't any different except that they are normally placed in a loop. The only difference between flags and mines should be the name of the object itself.

Without having viewed the code, here is the rundown of things I would check for in order:
-Are you missing any capitalized letters where there should be, or any parentheses/semicolons
-Are all constraints you are trying to use defined correctly?
-Does your loop give any errors without the flag code block in it? If so, it's the loop's fault.
-Does your map work with my code instead of yours?
(Don't forget "someShortDistance", "someLongerDistance", "constraintName" are not going to be defined in your code and should be changed before running the map.)

I use modification of this code fragment to place water flags on my maps. It should in its entirety be placed within the "for loop" that is used to create and setup each player's starting area.

Code: Select all

int waterFlag = rmCreateObjectDef("HC water flag "+i);
         rmAddObjectDefItem(waterFlag, "HomeCityWaterSpawnFlag", 1, 0.0);
         rmSetObjectDefMinDistance(waterFlag, someShortDistance);
         rmSetObjectDefMaxDistance(waterFlag, someLongerDistance);
       rmAddObjectDefConstraint(waterFlag, constraintName);
         rmPlaceObjectDefAtLoc(waterFlag, i, rmPlayerLocXFraction(i), rmPlayerLocZFraction(i), 1);
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

@Durokan I'm sorry but I simply can't make it work properly no matter how much I try. I've managed to make water flags spawn but they only spawn one per team (for the team captain), no matter how many players there are in the team.

Here are the codes I used:

rmSetObjectDefMinDistance(waterFlag, 72);
      rmSetObjectDefMaxDistance(waterFlag, 78);
      rmPlaceObjectDefAtLoc(waterFlag, i, rmPlayerLocXFraction(i), rmPlayerLocZFraction(i), 1);

I even put this before it:

int teamNumber = rmGetPlayerTeam(i);

...and still nothing.

I've uploaded the map but note that it uses a custom water type so it might not load for you.

Help. :(

Also, another small request, if possible, could you tell me how to make your Gold Rush map for 8 players?
It's an awesome map I'd like to have full 8 player support.

Thank you so much for your help.

Update: I've managed to add 8 player support to Gold Rush so no need to bother with that anymore. :D
Attachments
2v2 Gold Rush.xs
(19.59 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
2v2 Gold Rush.xml
(471 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
Jebel Musa.xs
(32.54 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Jebel Musa.xml
(469 Bytes) Downloaded 29 times
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

for (i=1;<cNumberNonGaiaPlayers)
      {
      rmPlaceObjectDefAtLoc(waterFlag, i, Write_X_Coordinates_Here, Write_Z_Coordinates_Here, 1);
      }

Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

Hm, yeah but with just those codes now all flags spawn in the same place, ally and enemy flags. And they do not match the area of the map where the players spawned, because their spawn position is fixed.

This is proving to be really difficult.
But your codes might help me accomplish a different idea. Thanks.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Oops yeah need to write this code 2 times : one time for players in team 1 and one time for players in team 2
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

How do you chose for what team the flags spawn for?

Update: Ooook, so I finally got it working. All flags didn't spawn because "rmSetObjectDefMaxDistance" was set too low.
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

How does one make the "rmSetBaseTerrainMix" code work on any custom map?

Most custom maps use the same texture(s) over the entire map and the result is a rather ugly repetitive pattern. Making them use a randomized terrain like the original maps would be... so amazing!

So far I've noticed 3 ways to apply ground textures, the repetitive texture one (yes, I know you can add different random textures to appear just like you add grass for example, but it still look ugly compared to the original maps), the one using the "rmSetBaseTerrainMix" and another one I cannot figure out also used by some of the original maps.

So how do you make "rmSetBaseTerrainMix" work? Simply adding the code to a map does nothing.
Please help!
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

There's an XML file that defines various terrain mixes that rmSetBaseTerrainMix can select from.
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

Yes there is. But simply adding "rmSetBaseTerrainMix" to a map that didn't have it before doesn't make it work. So how do you make it work?
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

mandosrex wrote:Yes there is. But simply adding "rmSetBaseTerrainMix" to a map that didn't have it before doesn't make it work. So how do you make it work?

try looking at a map that does have them. garja uses them
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

mandosrex wrote:Yes there is. But simply adding "rmSetBaseTerrainMix" to a map that didn't have it before doesn't make it work. So how do you make it work?

Dont be scared to study Re maps. They might be bad in terms of balance, but the coding is decent and documentated. You can learn a lot from it!
r]
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

mandosrex wrote:Durokan, I have to ask something.
For your Savannah map, you made a little island in the middle which holds a Jesuit camp, which is awesome, religious groups would often make settlements on islands, but I wonder if you could add something. Could you add like a shallow for units to be able to walk to the island, because no one is going to build a dock and a ship to go to that island only for the Jesuits, and so a shallow would be perfect!
(if a shallow is not possible then even a dry ground bridge could work, anything for easier access)

The map was originally a scenario, because I'm so noob, that I didn't know about RMS and send it to Durokan as such. It did contain whole lot of grass, to the point where we even had a discussion about eons of loading time.
The Jesuit island was meant to contain gold mines and to be located in the middle of the lake, for which the players would eventually fight, because of the sheer number of natural resources in the area. Besides, one could even use the island to save the settlers on the shores from enemy raids.

The map spawns random lions... in the scenario, there were also hostile natives, renegades, easter egg Pride Rock and so on around the map...
I appreciate the zebras....can't wait to see more of it.
As a side problem, I've never managed to launch a successful match with players on it... so I hope you will succeed :biggrin:
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

Durokan wrote:try looking at a map that does have them. garja uses them

I am looking at maps that have it but I don't understand how it works, that's why I'm asking here...
It's just there and it works. And if I just add it to another map it doesn't work.

Gichtenlord wrote:Dont be scared to study Re maps. They might be bad in terms of balance, but the coding is decent and documentated. You can learn a lot from it!

What are "Re" maps?
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Maps from the original game. If I remember correctly, ceylon is using a baseterrainmix. Just look it up!
r]
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Post by mandosrex »

I can't... make it work. Dudes, come on, help a brother out.
For example I tried adding "rmSetBaseTerrainMix" to this Nile map I use and it simply doesn't work, the map crashes.

I added the following codes to Nile:

string baseMix = "ceylon_grass_a";
  string paintMix = "ceylon_sand_a";

rmSetBaseTerrainMix(baseMix);

rmTerrainInitialize(baseTerrain);

...just like Ceylon has them and nothing, just crashes.

Why does it not work?
Attachments
Nile River.xml
(408 Bytes) Downloaded 23 times
Nile River.xs
(17.98 KiB) Downloaded 14 times