New Maps! New EP!

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

New Maps! New EP!

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Hello everyone! Itā€™s that time again - time to release new maps that our awesome and talented map creators have created for our enjoyment. Itā€™s also time to release the new version of the patch with all the new, and often controversial changes. This has the potential to be a long read, so I suggest that you grab something to eat, grab a drink, and settle in. Do you hate reading? No problem, hereā€™s a quick and dirty summary. With regards to the maps, we have a really great team. They spend a lot of time creating and testing their maps. The new maps that are being released are Alaska, Great Basin, Parallel Rivers, and Wadmalaw. Scroll down to find the large text and click that spoiler button to see what they look like. Weā€™ve got more water play coming! With regards to the EP changes, scroll down to the EP banner to read all the changes in detail. There are some overall changes, such as lowering the cost of building TCā€™s and altering water units to make water more viable and balanced. There are also civ specific changes for the Chinese, Germans, Indians, Ottomans, Sioux, and Spanish.

For those of you who donā€™t know who are official map makers are and havenā€™t clicked on the team member page , allow me to introduce you to Durokan, Garja, and Riki. All 3 of them have been working on maps for us for nearly as long as the site has been around. For those of you who donā€™t know how long that is, weā€™ll be celebrating our 3 year anniversary February 11, 2018! On a side note, you've got 4 months to save, instead of giving gifts to a lover, or yourself, this Valentineā€™s Day, consider giving it to us. Surely you love us more.

Durokan credits @Dolan for helping him get into map making on a serious level. None of the 3 has created a map for any of the other age games, but Riki created a really awesome tool that converts AOM maps to AOE3 maps! All 3 of these guys are quite talented in what they do (did you all know that Garja is into graffiti sketching and digital art and Riki plays saxophone, paints, and draws!), especially since theyā€™ve only been making maps for a couple of years. I asked them about their map making process. My specific question was: Do you have a map making process? Like, do you open a bottle of wine, smoke a cigar, light incense, then design. Or do you just feel bored of watching twitch streams so you decide to create a new map?

Here are their answers:

Durokan

Garja

Riki

I asked several questions for our interview and had intended on doing a simple summary of the answers, but their answers were far too god, whoops, I mean good. Wait, god works too. With regards to how much time they each, individually, spend on creating maps, they each had this to say:

Durokan

Garja

Riki

To summarize, creating the maps takes a lot of time. Whether itā€™s actually creating the map, or play testing it, map making isnā€™t done in just a day. Thereā€™s a long process, changes are made, things are fixed, and they do all this in their free time. For us!

I was curious about their vision regarding maps. I asked them if they had a particular vision or if a vision begins to unfold as they create.

Durokan

Garja

Riki

Okay. So not only are these guys creative, but they are also able to critique their own work and not just release something because they made it, but they release stuff that theyā€™re actually proud to have made.

I asked them if they had specific civs in mind when theyā€™re creating and if, after completion of a map, they felt certain civs would be stronger than others on the maps.

Durokan

Garja

Riki

This is really cool to me. These guys think through their decisions regarding the maps and try to not be bias towards a specific civ. If they feel a map is too good for a specific civ, they try to make adjustments. Why hasnā€™t Microsoft hired these guys yet?! Maybe they haveā€¦ :hmm:

Okay. Maybe you donā€™t care to know all this stuff that is interesting to me. Thus, I have bolded and enlarged the following sentence so that you can easily see what you actually wish to see.
What are the new maps? Omg! Thatā€™s all I care about!

Durokan

This sounds exciting. I like secrets. Editors note: I may or may not have caught a glimpse of some of these and they may or may not look rad af.

Garja

Riki

Water maps! Resource heavy maps! Mazes! Non-TP maps! Omg! Time to learn new strats and maybe brush up on some old ones. Iā€™m most excited by the possible inclusion of some water play. Water is so underutilized in tournament games. I would really like to see it being used more often.

Click for pictures

I asked how they felt about the balance of the new maps and if there were any that they were not 100% happy with.

Garja

Riki

Special note: For Garja, he was a little torn between which map is his favorite out of this new release. Alaska is easy on the eyes, yet Parallel Rivers offer uniqueness. He went with Parallel Rivers. For Riki, he has a special place in his heart for Wadmalaw.

I had to know which map was their all time favorite and which they like the least.

Garja

Riki

I wanted to know if they all worked with other people whilst creating maps.

Durokan

Garja

Riki

Criticizing maps seems to be a popular thing to do. I often see more of that than actual praise, which is sad. I asked the map makers about their opinion on this, their answers were far more diplomatic than mine.

Durokan

Garja

Riki

See, they are definitely more lovely individuals than I. My respond always: thank you for the compliment. If you think you can do it better, then do it. Criticism without anything constructive isnā€™t helpful. If you canā€™t do it better, at least give constructive criticism. This, of course, would be spliced with some expletives. :flowers:

Whoā€™s excited about AoE4?

Durokan

Garja

Riki

I am also looking forward toward it!

Final thoughts:

Durokan

Garja

Riki

I would like to conclude this with a quote by Riki: ā€œAlthough I do scientifical studies, I think art and creation is super important in lifeā€ If any of you would like to expand your artistic and creative sides by helping to create some maps, feel free to send us some of your work. Weā€™re always open to fresh ideas and concepts.

Bonus

We are also releasing the newest version of the EP along with the new maps, you can either check it out here, or click the spoiler link below. Courtesy of @Goodspeed, @zoom, @EAGLEMUT, and many others.

ESOC Patch Updates

Though we were all short on time, I was able to ask a few questions of a few of the individuals who were involved in the patch changes. I would have liked to go a bit deeper, but alas, I am lazy. Blame me, not them. So many people help with the balance changes that I donā€™t want to start naming names and then forget someone. I decided to have a quick interview with the core team. As with the map team, I was curious as to where they got their inspiration to make the changes. I wanted to know what data they were considering before suggesting fixes.

Goodspeed

Zoom

What exactly is your goal for balance? What are you trying to accomplish?

Goodspeed

Zoom

Did you have any help implementing the changes into this iteration of the patch?

Eaglemut

Can you guess how long it takes to actually put the changes into effect?!

Eaglemut

Yeah, thatā€™s right. This guy pours so much of himself into the patch. He implements the balance changes, launcher features, fixes all the bugs, and implements KOTH into all the ESOC maps! Heā€™s amazing! He also worked with @musketeer925 with implementing the EP network hook. You may not know what this is (I sure didnā€™t). Stay tuned for more info about that.

Whatā€™s your favorite civ to play?

Goodspeed

Zoom

Eaglemut

Whatā€™s your favorite civ to watch be played?

Goodspeed

Zoom

Eaglemut

What was a change that you wanted, but no one agreed?

Goodspeed

Zoom

Eaglemut

TL;DR but ended up down here: We have an awesome group of people who donate their time and energy into creating fresh content for us. They donā€™t get paid. They often donā€™t really get thanked. Quite the opposite tends to happen, actually. Yet, they do it because they enjoy what they do and they want to help the community in whatever way they can. New maps have been created to be an addition to the many other maps - all of which can be played on the new patch. I look forward to seeing the tournament games! Donā€™t forget to

Thank you for reading. :flowers:

Thank you to @Durokan, @EAGLEMUT, @Garja, @Goodspeed, @Rikikipu, and @zoom for putting up with me, and to @_H2O, @MCJim, and @Mr_Bramboy for trusting me with this release. Thank you also @Gendarme for creating special spoiler tags as I requested.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night itā€™s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: New Maps! New EP!

Post by EAGLEMUT »

EP Network Hook FAQ

So, what is this network hook?

The network hook is a new functionality of EP, allowing it to "hook" onto the network line through which requests flow from the player towards the ESO interface. EP will read this data and forward relevant information to our new python server, hosted at ep.eso-community.net. Forwarded information includes, for example, data about a currently hosted game room, or a player entering the "in-game" state.

What is this python server doing?

It processes the data coming from EP network hook and uses them to control a Discord bot, which is constantly broadcasting information about active EP/TR lobbies. You can see these active lobbies on the ESOC Discord, channel #eso-ep-activity.
Additionally, information about active lobbies is outputted into https://eso-community.net/assets/patch/api/lobbies.json in JSON format, publicly accessible for any developer to use in order to create their own application.

Will the network hook cause more lag while playing, due to sending data to ESOC?

No, the hook is able to recognize when a player goes in-game, even for scenario games, and does not send any data to ESOC during that time.

Is EP going to steal my identity now?

No, the hook only listens for outgoing xml requests towards ESO, in order to help us create more awesome tools for the community. If you are concerned about the kind of data sent, you are free to verify them using a tool such as Wireshark.

What other tools are currently using this data?

@Buckethead made another API on top of this, adding further information about players from the EP Elo Ladders, again in JSON format: https://eso-community.net/patch/lobbies

@Ashvin made a graphical interface of currently active lobbies, showing all participating players with their stats, also including an image of the currently selected map: https://eso-c.herokuapp.com/

More stuff is already in the works!

As a a developer, where can I find documentation on what the JSON represents?

Got you covered: https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=12494
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

EP 4.0.0.0 Full changelog except for already mentioned balance changes.

Features
- Implemented network hook for both EP/TR.
- Introduced new maps ESOC Parallel Rivers, ESOC Great Basin, ESOC Alaska, ESOC Wadmalaw (along with 12 new treasure types).
- Updated map sets with the newly released maps.
- Implemented King of the Hill mode on all ESOC maps.
- Launcher: added direct link to Spectator UI Maps download into Tools.
- Launcher: added a button for optionally launching XPMOD from EP Launcher Tools. The bundled XPMOD runs separately from both RE/EP and does not need to be manually toggled off after usage.
- Launcher: user can now reopen the update notification window by clicking on "Updates are available".
- Launcher: added info about current version and release channel onto the update notification window.
- Launcher: added button for switching to EP Beta channel from within Tools. Launching on the Beta channel means that the EP Launcher will prompt you with available Beta updates and allow you to install them over the current stable production version.

Fixes
- Fixed an issue where games played on the ESOC Patch or Treaty Patch were not properly recognized as such on the ESOC Ladders.
- Fixed an issue where the EP Rec Tool described outdated recs as if they were current (only a text issue).
- If EP launcher fails to launch Treaty patch, a message will now indicate the failure.
- Second Ibex hunt is now closer to player on ESOC Fertile Crescent.
- Changed lightning set on ESOC Herald Island.
- Fixed an issue where ESOC Malaysia would spawn very small in 5+ player games.
- Various map fixes & changes for ESOC Adirondacks, ESOC Arizona, ESOC Cascade Range, ESOC Florida, ESOC Herald Island, ESOC Malaysia, ESOC Manchuria, ESOC Pampas Sierras.
- Removed dopple effect from cow, water buffalo, yak, sacred cow (their corpses no longer show up as alive and stationary in fog of war).
- Fixed a bug that allowed monitors to target empty TP sockets.
- Corrected Mansabdar Howdah cost ratio.
- Corrected Gribeauval System HC card description.
- King's Hill fort is no longer deletable.
- Consulate blockhouse banner armies now spawn properly.
- Launcher: removed button linking to old update notes.
- Fixed Surgeon is now visible under fog while acting as a treasure.
- Fixed description of Veteran Abus Guns tech.

Treaty Patch changes (more details on these later):
- Reverted chinese consulate armies to its original state.
- Removed pop cost of Barbary Corsairs for Otto.
- Teepee, Cons armies cost revert.
- Fixed Japanese end isolaton.
- Removed ESOC Deccan duplicate.
- Further balance changes for Sioux, Japanese, Chinese.
- Various map updates, string updates, bugfixes.

King of the Hill implementation details

fort simply somewhere in map center:
Adirondacks
Arkansas
Baja California
Bengal
Bonnie Springs (no change from Riki's implementation)
Cascade Range
Colorado
Florida
Gran Chaco
Great Basin
Herald Island
High Plains
Iowa
Indonesia
Hudson Bay
Kamchatka
Malaysia
Manchac (no change from Riki's implementation)
Manchuria
Mendocino (no change from Riki's implementation)
Tassili
Thar Desert
Tibet

special fort behavior:
Alaska - fort spawns near cliffs
Arizona - FFA mesa smaller in KotH mode to fit a capturable fort
Fertile Crescent - always spawn map layout with side trade routes in KotH mode
Jebel Musa - fort spawns on the peninsula (no change from Durokan's implementation)
Klondike - fort can spawn basically anywhere in 4+ player FFA games, otherwise fort is simply in map center
Pampas Sierras - 3 possible fort spawns (near llamas, in map center, or between those two)
Parallel Rivers - fort spawns more to the south in 3+ player FFA games, conversely, fort spawns all the way up north in 1v1/team games
Wadmalaw - fort spawns on the right, next to TP line

EP 4.0.0.1 hotfix hangelog:
- Fixed an issue with the Elo tracker code that caused all TR maps to fail loading.
- TR recorded games will now output TR patch version.
- EP: Schooners train point decrease effect reduced to -20% for non-Asian boats.
- Launcher: improved support of beta version strings. Fixed an issue where the Beta channel would always recommend downloading an update. Fixed an issue where users on a Beta version wouldn't be notified of a new Production update.
- EP: Added missing multipliers for Howdah in Guardian mode vs Villagers, Artillery, CoyoteMan.
- EP: Fixed pop cost and added missing multipliers for Mansabdar Howdah in Guardian mode vs Villagers, Artillery.
- EP/TR: patched security vulnerability - validate CRCs for included XS map scrips.
- TR: various bugfixes done by NiceKING.
- XPMOD: now based on age3f, added hook support and Discord bot support. XPMOD rooms are displayed in dark gold color. Fixed an issue where XPMOD was not installed properly for some players.
- EP/TR: fixed Elo tracker unit being selectable with certain hotkeys.
- Fixed a client crash when internet connection is not available.

EP 4.1.0.0 Changelog:
ESOC Treaty Patch
- TRP: Aztec Fortresss Age Shaman politician now properly grants 2 Noble's Hut Travois.
- TRP: Fixed Aztec WC hand attack bug.
- TRP: Fixed Native Settler animation.
- TRP: Fixed Flamethrower stats.
- TRP: Fixed Dutch Consulate Church and Arsenal textures.
- TRP: Fixed Japanese Yamashiro home-city shipment (now affects cannon attack).
- TRP: Fixed Dutch Consulate Bank bounty.
- TRP: Fixed Repentant Fusilier missing multiplier vs Light Infantry in Defend mode.
- TRP: Fixed spelling on Tercio Tactics card description (Redoleros -> Rodeleros).
- TRP: Fixed Caracole tech not affecting maximum range properly in certain unit stances.
Maps
- Wadmalaw: changed starting Catamaran to a Canoe.
- Wadmalaw: lowered sizes of hunts across the board.
- Wadmalaw: lowered ammount of fish on the map.
- Wadmalaw: added island hunts.
- Wadmalaw: reduced ammount of resources gained from several treasures.
- Wadmalaw: Villager HP treasure replaced with a wood crate treasure.
- Wadmalaw: Adjusted player positions in 3+ player games.
ESOC Standard Supremacy Patch
- EP: Fixed Aztec Fortress Age Shaman politician description (gives 2 Travois).
- EP: Sowar cost to 75f/75c (down from 80f/80c), bounties adjusted, mansabdar adjusted.
- EP: Wakina speed to 4.5 (down from 5).
- EP: Asian schooner cards effect changed to -20w cost and a dock wagon.
- EP: European Cannons card effect changed to mimic Offshore Support card, descriptions updated.
- EP: Flaming Arrow now has an x7 multiplier vs ships (up from x5).
- EP: Spanish Gold card no longer affects Church Corselet tech.
General
- EP/TRP: Fixed Elo tracker - revert Military tag, auto-kill unit with trigger.
- Launcher: added an option to disable lobby sharing with ESOC services (what's this?).
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Join us on EP4 tonight! The floodgates will open around 19GMT.

Edit: EP4 is live!

Run the EP launcher to get your update automatically, or download the installer from https://eso-community.net/esoc-patch.php, or, if you're having issues with that, download the patch files manually here and extract them into your AoE3 installation directory.
momuuu wrote: ā†‘theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Join me in not updating to 4.0!
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

Gs main civs not touched again
unlucky i guess :)
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

oh boi
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

KINGofOsmane wrote:Gs main civs not touched again
unlucky i guess :)

Brits are UP
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

This problem with learning too many maps is also going to be addressed; by including a smaller map pool in the tournament, instead of including all ESOC maps as it was before.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

@deleted_user2 Remember when I asked you for feedback about our maps since you're always so vocal but never propose any solutions? I expected a proper PM back with at least a few good points which we could incorporate in our designs, but instead I got this viewtopic.php?f=158&t=12009&p=252352

And yet here you are again, spewing our negativity while people work hard trying to create a positive environment. Your behavior makes my blood boil. If you're only here to complain and undermine other people's work while you deny any opportunity to make a change, then please leave and don't come back. I am deleting your posts from this thread and I will leave it up to the community team to judge you.

Great post Xeelee! I'm really glad to have you in the team :)

EAGLEMUT wrote:This problem with learning too many maps is also going to be addressed; by including a smaller map pool in the tournament, instead of including all ESOC maps as it was before.

To elaborate on that, this is already in place! Refer to the tournament rules and you'll see that the map team has created a tournament map pool of 15 maps, as opposed to our total map pool of 40-50 maps. Hopefully newer players will be less overwhelmed due to this change!
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

You are really all handsome guys <3
Thanks Ć  lot to everyone implicated in this ep 4, it looks great !
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

I like when you guys everytime suck my d..(jan y sepoy)..
I THINK this balance is personal.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

I only don't like that old han is free now, rest is fine I think, finally sepoy and jans got nerfed, probably was needed a British and Dutch nerf though, but anyway good players like gs garja and Ryan approved this, and they understand the game. Thanks for the patch and to keep the community alive!
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

We'll see what it gives. Thx for the work though!
Apart from being sad India didn't get a buff apart from the houses, I'm happy to see that the planned schooners change went down from -40% to -20% traintime.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:I only don't like that old han is free now, rest is fine I think, finally sepoy and jans got nerfed, probably was needed a British and Dutch nerf though, but anyway good players like gs garja and Ryan approved this, and they understand the game. Thanks for the patch and to keep the community alive!

When nerf the that can kill you, its good they.. think about that...
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I like alaska map a lot, seems very cool map I hope its in the tournament map pool. I am a bit concerned about the changes in the patch right before the tournament begins, since they are a bit controversial and are going to have an effect on the current meta. Hopefully though we are going to see new strategies
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

Nerf more jan and sepoy to make better or to make easy new meta semi ff tp
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

look wrote:Nerf more jan and sepoy to make better or to make easy new meta semi ff tp

Next patch give look topm 50% handicap because he is too n00b :hehe:
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

tedere12 wrote:I like alaska map a lot, seems very cool map I hope its in the tournament map pool.

viewtopic.php?p=264228#p264227 ;)
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Thanks to all for the insane amount of work. Unfortunately I really dislike the balance changes for pretty obvious reasons many people exposed before me. I'm still wondering if I will update the patch because I would like to try the nice new maps and maybe I could play games with civs/strategies which will not be modified by these changes.
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

ep still isnt updated
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

Are a good job Esoc patch.. more the balances still not very good..
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

- Fishing Boat cost decreased to 70w (down from 100w)
- "Schooners" shipment effect changed from "-60% Fishing Boat cost" to "-20w Fishing Boat cost and -20% train time" (decreases train points from 25 to 20)

Should notice the efect on the asian card. It decreases the cost 40%, now to 42, or it still makes them cost 60w?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

lemmings121 wrote:
- Fishing Boat cost decreased to 70w (down from 100w)
- "Schooners" shipment effect changed from "-60% Fishing Boat cost" to "-20w Fishing Boat cost and -20% train time" (decreases train points from 25 to 20)

Should notice the efect on the asian card. It decreases the cost 40%, now to 42, or it still makes them cost 60w?

The Asian cards remain unchanged and decrease the cost by a percentage (from the new base cost).
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

so you implemented changes 90% of the community disagreed with, nice