Wrapping up 2017 & Looking forward to 2018!

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Wrapping up 2017 & Looking forward to 2018!

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

What a year! There’s no doubt that that 2017 has been a great year for both ESOC and the Age of Empires community!

2017 Tournaments
After concluding Autumn 2016, we started the year with yet another seasonal tournament: Spring 2017! The inaugural champion BlackStar_OP returned and reclaimed his crown. Facing off against the winner of Autumn 2016, LordRaphael, in the finals, BlackStar_OP dispatched him in nearly surgical fashion to take home the biggest prize in ESOC history.

This tournament was followed by The WarChiefs Classic. Graciously funded by iwillspankyou (more on this legend later), the WarChief civilization focused event was held in the summer. It featured unique play that is not normally seen in the seasonal events. Fan favorite Aizamk was able to take down diarouga and claim his first crown (of many?)

Currently into the round of 8, the Autumn 2017 event is already shaping up to be one of the best. Complete with favorites like LordRaphael and goongoon, sleeping giants like Mitoe and Kaiserklein and where did he come from Tedere12. Catch the conclusion on twitch.tv/esoctv

ESOC adds AoEO Support
2017 also brought a new community to ESOC: the folks from Age of Empires Online. AoEO lived up the dedgaem meme in a literal sense, until the supremely talented team at Project Celeste revived the game on private servers.

Of course, with ESOC bringing in the AoEO community, a tournament was a necessity! ZutaZuta was gracious to sponsor the first tournament, aptly named ZutaZuta Classic. This double elimination event saw the legendary TheMista return to his powers and sweep through to take first place. 2018 has a lot in store for the AoE:O community and I suggest you keep an eye out for any announcements in the near future.

Team Changes
This year, we were fortunate to welcome a lot of new people to our team. Almost all teams saw reinforcements who are still around today. The media team especially saw a lot of changes in their desperate search for reinforcements with a total of 6 new members in 2017. Unfortunately, there were also some who did not make it to 2018. We still wish them the best in their lives and we thank them for their contributions.

We would like to thank all team members who strengthened us this year and we hope you had as much fun as I did!

Microsoft Announcements
As I’m sure you’re all aware, Microsoft blew us all away by announcing Age of Empires IV after all these years. Few saw it as a possibility, and many had completely disregarded the prospect of a new game by now, but it turns out miracles do exist. As if the Age of Empires 4 announcement at Gamescom wasn’t enough, Microsoft also announced definitive editions of all the original games. Although little is known of what that entails for AoE3 at this time, we can look forward to more about this topic in 2018.

2018 appears to be another great year for both the community as well as ESOC. ESOC has some big projects on the horizon, most importantly ESOC 2.0! The homepage redesign will be coming in 2018 and will bring us into the future. In the meantime, you might notice some features that appear incomplete or are under construction. Please be patient, it will be worth the wait!

Near future
The Autumn 2017 second chance brackets are out and the scheduling threads will be up soon. Special thanks to @VinyanyĂ©rĂ« for making this event happen. It is a fun event for those who don’t make it far in the seasonal events to get some experience in tournament games.

The second annual Basement telethon is coming soon. This year appears to be better than ever as the length has doubled to 48 hours and the guest list is impressive. Check out the hype video and topic for more information! Thanks to @fightinfrenchman and @evilcheadar for their commitment to using AoE3 to raise significant money for charity.

Of course, none of this would be possible without the support of you, the community members! Special thank you to @spanky4ever who has donated nearly 1000$ to ESOC in the last few years as well as @Zutazuta, @Goodspeed, and @XeeleeFlower who are all over 500$ in support and close behind!

Media Team
Now that we’ve told you all of the positive news, let’s move onto some (hopefully) negative news. If you’ll excuse me, I’d like to talk about myself for once.

Shortly after the finals of the Spring 2015 tournament, I joined the ESOC team alongside my two dear friends Jim and Jerom. This was before the ESOC team was split into teams, but we quickly agreed on roles for the next tournament. Initially, my role in the team remained small, but this changed when the esoc team was split in several smaller teams, each with their own role and responsibilities. In the past two years, I’ve had a tremendous amount of fun being in this team and community and I’ve learned a lot of things from others. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and I’ve decided to pass on the leadership role, mainly due to time constraints. I will still be a part of the media team, but I will have more of an advisory role rather than an active one. The new leader of the media team will be @MCJim. I have all of the faith in him and I trust everyone to do the same.

What does this mean for you, the reader? You won’t experience any radical changes – we’re still a team, of course – and we will still continue to host tournaments regularly. I look forward to this new era within the media team!

Last but not least, I would like to wish everyone a happy new year in 2018!
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Wrapping up 2017 & Looking forward to 2018!

Post by edeholland »

Thanks for all your contributions this year and before that @Mr_Bramboy :) Hope you will live a good life with Ms_Bramboy in 2018.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Good write-up! Looking forward to 2018. Hopefully we'll get an update about AoE3:DE and AoE4 soon.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

had hleung not beaten tedere, the latter wouldn't have learned about his mistakes and would not be a top-8 player today — it's true!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Just two weeks away from the Telethon. Our goal is $5000 this year!
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Would be nice if esoc streamed some showmatches for the new year or Christmas (yes I ve got nothing better to do)
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우슀

Post by n0el »

Nice post. Happy New Year to all!
mad cuz bad
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

tedere12 wrote:Would be nice if esoc streamed some showmatches for the new year or Christmas (yes I ve got nothing better to do)

Go wörk
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

supernapoleon wrote:
tedere12 wrote:Would be nice if esoc streamed some showmatches for the new year or Christmas (yes I ve got nothing better to do)

Go wörk

No give me money so I can be lazy
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

tedere12 wrote:
supernapoleon wrote:

Go wörk

No give me money so I can be lazy

u already have too much debt,time to work buddy xD
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

well mcjim. u shall pass
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'll be getting schwifty
United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Post by cedarfarms »

Nicely written Bramboy. I'm sure I speak for a large portion of the community when i say thank you for all the time and effort youve put into ESOC, we appreciate it.
Canada Lunatic_Fringe
Dragoon
ESO: Nightwing

Post by Lunatic_Fringe »

Very well written Bramboy.

I wish everyone in the community a Happy New year 2018. My best wishes to everyone :)
Take care peeps.