Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

ESOC Patch 4.2 released!

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Foreword

Hello everyone! Following up on ESOC's birthday, we've got another special treat in store today. About three months after the last huge patch, EP 4.2 is coming out with a wide variety of changes; we've got balance updates, bugfixes, map changes, security improvements, more features for your convenience... a bit of everything! This release was also the first one with all of its development iterations released in public Betas, which were tested over the past two months and a bit. See the Beta FAQ if you would like to participate in future Betas, it's easy and we value your feedback!

Now, let's get to the list of changes.

EP 4.2.0.0
changelog since EP 4.1.0.0

ESOC Standard Supremacy Patch - Sioux balance changes
- EP: Added required placement distance of 15 between individual teepees. This distance is visually indicated when placing a new teepee.
- EP: Teepee initial build limit reverted to 10 (up from 6).
- EP: Nomadic Expansion card reverted to increase teepee build limit by 10 (up from 6).
- EP: Mustangs card now decreases cavalry cost by 15% (up from 10%).
- EP: Wakina speed reverted to 4 (down from 4.5).

ESOC Standard Supremacy Patch - fixes
- EP: Adjusted Cherry Orchard and Mango Grove placement obstruction radius to make them replaceable on the same spot. Added visual indication of obstruction radius.
- EP: Improved obstruction error message for buildings with crops/gatherers around them.
- EP: Docks now respect the restricted build radius during the treaty period.
- EP: Fixed a bug that caused Iroquois War Hut Big Button tech Lacrosse to not increase the range of Tomahawks.
- EP: Fixed a bug that caused Mountain Warrior card to not double the amount of resources gained from treasures.
- EP: Caravel, Galleon, Galley default attack range reverted to the correct value 20 (from 18).
- EP: Fixed Tomahawk's ability to build after sending Battlefield Construction.
- EP: Fixed Veteran Abus Gun tech to increase range properly for Stagger/Defend mode.

ESOC Standard Supremacy Patch - map changes
- ESOC Malaysia: fixed an issue where the homecity water flag would not spawn for a player. Adjusted resource balance.
- ESOC Wadmalaw: fixed an issue where livestock would not spawn for a player.
- ESOC Paralel Rivers: adjusted resource balance, removed gold mines from the map.
- ESOC Great Basin: slightly increased number of treasures on the map.

ESOC Standard Supremacy Patch - new features
- EP: Added custom images for ESOC maps to easily distinguish them while in a game room. Custom ESOC map images are also installed for use outside of EP.

ESOC Treaty Patch
- TRP: Adjusted Cherry Orchard and Mango Grove placement obstruction radius to make them replaceable on the same spot. Added visual indication of obstruction radius.
- TRP: Docks now respect the restricted build radius during the treaty period.

EP Launcher
- Upon opening the EP Launcher, compatibility flags of all custom game executables are now automatically configured. For some users, this should solve all of performance issues, bugs in game settings, and the occasional "Application Not Responding" alerts. The default configuration will be set to WINXPSP3 DISABLETHEMES DISABLEDWM HIGHDPIAWARE RUNASADMIN, however, a different OS compatibility flag will be respected and not reconfigured to Win XP automatically. Additional flags will also be respected and not removed.
- The launcher will automatically remove voobly's injected d3d9.dll file upon launch. Voobly uses this file to inject its own code into the game, but this code doesn't run properly in compatibility mode and causes all versions of the game to instantly crash.
- The auto-update process will now automatically copy all ESOC and Blitz maps for use on the official RE patch as custom maps (this will only work when updating from EP 4.2.x onwards).
- Improved detection of when the game is already running and cannot be currently launched, also improved some error messaging.

Anti-cheat
- Various anti-cheat improvements, fixed a security issue that would allow players to send free shipments (https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=399&t=13032&p=274273).
- "Zoom mod" is now detected as a cheat (except from within the Observer UI).
- Expanded logging functionality.

Installer
- The exe installer setup now automatically attempts to activate DirectPlay, which is a legacy component required for any version of AoE3 to run, but disabled by default on most systems with OS Windows 8 or newer.
- The installer will automatically remove voobly's injected d3d9.dll file upon install. Voobly uses this file to inject its own code into the game, but this code doesn't run properly in compatibility mode and causes all versions of the game to instantly crash.
- The installation process will now automatically copy all ESOC and Blitz maps for use on the official RE patch as custom maps. Custom ESOC map images are also installed for use outside of EP.

That's it for the changes, but let's expand on some of them a bit.

A message from the balance team

In order to garner more feedback, we have decided to go live with certain changes to the Sioux, to explore our options for the civilization well in time before the release of EP5. Please note that these changes are subject to testing and may be changed in the near future, depending on such response. This is merely an iteration to allow for better grasping their impact on balance as well as gameplay, and ultimately whether they are a worthwhile option – none of the changes are definitive.

Don't be fooled – these changes constitute a significant nerf to the effect(s) of teepees, since it reduces the ability to stack auras. As such, while the reverted build-limit will allow for teepee expansion—a buff in another sense—it will in fact result in a weaker effect, and will instead disallow for stacking several teepees in an overpowered cluster. Adding to these changes, we will also be reverting the Wakina Rifle speed buff, due to its non-essential nature, controversial reception within the community, and potential abusability.

Dealing with the orchards

Almost everyone who's played Japan a couple times before probably had this happen. Your orchards run out, you ship new ones, and suddenly — huh, why can't I rebuild my orchard on the same spot as before?
There's been a longstanding issue with the orchards having an inconsistent obstruction radius vs other buildings, and this update not only brings it in line, but also adds a visual indication of the radius for extra convenience.

Dealing with the hackers

We've unfortunately seen several new forms of hacking arise recently. This patch expands the anti-cheating protection and fixes security issues which were exploited during the Autumn tournament. At the same time, we've also improved our tools to find out new forms of hacking more effectively.

Another addition to detected hacks is the "zoom mod", allowing a player to zoom out further than normally possible, thus gaining an unfair advantage. This was especially a concern for the upcoming Treaty tournament. Note that this detection does not affect the zoom console command of the Observer UI.

We're also aware of the recent problems involving invite attacks on ESO and working hard on possible solutions. It is not an easy task as the issue ultimately lies with the ESO platform itself, which is controlled by Microsoft.

Expanding on convenience features

This patch includes a substantial batch of convenience features and improvements. These are aimed not only on regular EP users, but also at newcomers, and even at those who do not currently wish to play on our patches at all. The idea is that simply installing the EP is enough to "fix your game" and provides a player with several useful tools to utilize, even when such player continues to play solely on the official RE patch.

Looking to level up your homecities quickly? EP Launcher's XPMOD tool has got you covered.
Downloaded some recs, but you can't watch them? Use the EP Launcher's Recorded Games Recognition tool to play through recs played on any previous version of EP, or on RE.
Does your game not even launch? A mere install of the EP will now fix most common problems with running the game in general and give you the full arsenal of latest ESOC maps to play as custom maps on the official RE patch. And now with some cool images as well!

Thank you!

Thank you, the balance team and everyone else who's helped us test changes on Beta. Credit goes to Buckethead for contributing the new ESOC map images.

Getting the update

1. If you have a previous version installed, you can simply run the launcher and auto-update should have you covered. However, this time it might be worth downloading the exe installer in order to get ESOC maps installed as RE custom maps.
2. If you're installing for the first time, download the exe installer.
3. If you cannot do either of the above for some reason, download the zip package and unpack it manually into your AoE3 installation folder.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Re: ESOC Patch 4.2 released!

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Very nice! Thanks a lot for all your work
shit juice :hmm:
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

Amazing, thanks guys for your continued work.
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

These changes all sound good to me. Good job Devs
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

Great work, but I don't see the new map images. :hmm:
ImageImageImage
Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Post by Atomiswave »

Great work guys, ep is getting better and better.

I would like to report small bug. Positional triangle is visible in lower part of the Gran Chaco map image. All other images are ok, someone probably missed it when taking screenshots....
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

j_t_kirk wrote:Great work, but I don't see the new map images. :hmm:

Any of them? Note that the images are not implemented for UI maps, I guess map team will update those in the next UI map pack release.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Very nice work. I'm pleased to see the that by downloading ESOC patch you now get a whole host of useful tools/stuff even if you don't intend to play on it. Encouraging as many people as possible to have the patch installed in surely only a good thing for ESOC
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
j_t_kirk wrote:Great work, but I don't see the new map images. :hmm:

Any of them? Note that the images are not implemented for UI maps, I guess map team will update those in the next UI map pack release.

Ok. I checked only the UI Maps.
Is it possible to change the images of the original TAD Maps? Would be cool to have minimaps there as well.
ImageImageImage
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

:love:
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Great job.
I'm very disappointed at Sioux changes tho.
Image Image Image
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Praise to the @EAGLEMUT (GOD)
mad cuz bad
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Good work Eaglemu!

I hope to see some testing feedback on the Sioux changes.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:Great job.
That's a shame. Still, it's hard not to disappoint you without removing the gather-rate aura, when that's the only thing you aren't disappointed by. Although why you can't appreciate the Wakina speed revert is beyond me.

Nevertheless, please keep in mind this is just an iteration we're looking to test.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

zoom wrote:
That's a shame. Still, it's hard not to disappoint you without removing the gather-rate aura, when that's the only thing you aren't disappointed by. Although why you can't appreciate the Wakina speed revert is beyond me.

Nevertheless, please keep in mind this is just an iteration we're looking to test.

It should have been removed by default. With a card it could be ok. Now on top of that, we also have limitations in where to build tipis. And the wakina speed revert doesn't work if everything else is not balanced in the first place. Not to mention wakina do need a buff in the current meta so, if anything, it sohuld have been speed reverted and ranged added.
But hey keep testing, I'm sure for 2020 the EP will be almost balanced.
Image Image Image
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Early days with absolutely no testing as of yet so this may be a ill-informed opinion but is adding a building placement restriction to teepees fundamentally changing some of the core properties of AoE3 which is going in the opposite direction to what the EP are trying to do? its like saying you cant place two outposts/blockhouse in a similar radius. Although sioux needed an eco boost of some sort, i dont like how a teepee is now viewed primarily as an eco building instead of a defensive building. I can imagine watching a future game where a sioux player cant throw up a rapid teepee defense cluster/wall for an incoming 'scouted' attack as a result of this and then being crushed as a result. No real opinion of the wakina speed as im too low skilled to properly utilize it.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Shut up avast, this isn't a malware
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:
zoom wrote:

It should have been removed by default. With a card it could be ok. Now on top of that, we also have limitations in where to build tipis. And the wakina speed revert doesn't work if everything else is not balanced in the first place. Not to mention wakina do need a buff in the current meta so, if anything, it sohuld have been speed reverted and ranged added.
Why is it, that every time I chat with you, your response implies that you don't actually consider what I'm saying?

Please try being a little constructive and help test instead of just being perpetually negative.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:Early days with absolutely no testing as of yet so this may be a ill-informed opinion but is adding a building placement restriction to teepees fundamentally changing some of the core properties of AoE3 which is going in the opposite direction to what the EP are trying to do? its like saying you cant place two outposts/blockhouse in a similar radius. Although sioux needed an eco boost of some sort, i dont like how a teepee is now viewed primarily as an eco building instead of a defensive building. I can imagine watching a future game where a sioux player cant throw up a rapid teepee defense cluster/wall for an incoming 'scouted' attack as a result of this and then being crushed as a result. No real opinion of the wakina speed as im too low skilled to properly utilize it.
For one thing, such a property already exists for starting Town Centers. I personally think a limited restriction isn't a big deal in its own right, but I appreciate it if you disagree, so please let us know how you feel about it once you've tried it.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Notice that EP renamed my gamen.cfg file (Napoleonic Era) because zoom max=60 in it. I guess I should rename it again the next time I will play NE
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

zoom wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Why is it, that every time I chat with you, your response implies that you don't actually consider what I'm saying?

Please try being a little constructive and help test instead of just being perpetually negative.

What didnt I explicitly cover with my reply?
Also, how should I be any positive when this is just a waste of time on official release?
Like the game is fuckin dead and you keep trying funky stuff, adding more problems over existing problems you created, instead of just simply fixing what's wrong and making everyone happy
Image Image Image
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

My opinion on sioux dilema:

EP is supposed to be a balance patch, not a mod creating new civs.
The introduction of 'new teepees' is just a core design change for the civ, everything changes because of it, and its pretty much a new civ from re.
We have seem it in action for a while and it fixes some balance problems it creates others.

Imo, revert everything back to RE sioux, but keep BR nerf and Cetan buff.

"ohh but sioux is broken civ and still dont have answer to water and..."
Well yea, thats aoe3 for you. almost every civ has unwinable Mus/maps and good mus, thats why we work with counter picking in every tournament.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

lemmings121 wrote:Imo, revert everything back to RE sioux, but keep BR nerf and Cetan buff.

Hold on, that's exactly what EP1 did, and Sioux were considered unplayably terrible with those changes... :hmm:
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

what lemmings said but with 5vill