Mono-Civ Cup and Introducing the ESOC Grand Tour!

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Mono-Civ Cup and Introducing the ESOC Grand Tour!

Post by musketeer925 »

gryphoon94 wrote:Side question, is Eso-c mainly making money off donations? i feel there are so many other potential revenue streams (twitch subs, selling tshirts/other merch, in website features) that I do not see happening right now

YouTube revenue gets split between covering cost of hosting the site and prize pools. 100% of donations go to the prize pool. I am pretty sure our donations far exceed YouTube revenue. I'm not sure if there is any Twitch revenue, last I knew we were only a semi-partner that gave us quality options but not revenue.

Not sure what kind of website features you mean. We've never run ads (no need to degrade the web experience for a minimal income stream) and charging for premium site features would demand a higher standard of reliability than our dev team could realistically provide by developing as volunteers in their free time. If people want to contribute to the site, donations work great. What kind of feature do you actually think people would pay for?

Merch is a grey area at best with in terms of copyright infringement, all our logos and stuff feature AoE3 art.

Ultimately though, in my opinion, for a community our size, no fundraising initiative other than soliciting donations makes sense. If I were for example to spend time developing some premium site feature (I think you suggest this in your post), anything worthwhile would make ESOC far less money than I would make working freelance somewhere else. Thus, it would make more sense for me to do some freelance development and donate my earnings from that to ESOC than it would to work on something for ESOC with the sole goal of being a premium feature.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

I don't think you should be worried about merch copyrights, since it's kind of free promotion for microsoft. Also realistically speaking revenue wouldn't be millions for microsoft to take action.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

princeofcarthage wrote:I don't think you should be worried about merch copyrights, since it's kind of free promotion for microsoft. Also realistically speaking revenue wouldn't be millions for microsoft to take action.

Some companies are very litigatious in terms of enforcing copyright. Disney for example has a reputation for suing small-time parties for infringement. Microsoft doesn't currently seem to do that, but they could change their mind and start at any time.

Doing something illegal just because it would never be enforced is a pretty silly justification. I'd reiterate that I don't think we'd make hardly anything anyway. The time of our team members is better spent running quality events that make people want to donate.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Perhaps we should open a seperate thread for discussion about seasonal vs smaller tournaments and how ESOC should go on from here.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

i really start to be utterly annoyed from everyone that is posting against esoc and hasnt contributed anything yet. its so ashaming for me to see people only wanna take and give nothing in exchange. all members of esoc are working for free. u people behave like they are working for u! it makes me literally red headed mad. i once again wanna say in contrast to these people, that i appreciate all the work done for us to the fulliest. and in addition i encourage u all to do the same to say the least.
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Since this went a bit offtopic, I just want to say that I would totally wear a well designed shirt showcasing our forum. If someone would like to make that for me, I would really appreciate it. I'll pay for it so I'm not asking you to do it for free. Please make the shirt black, I'll leave the rest up to you. Thanks.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Since this went a bit offtopic, I just want to say that I would totally wear a well designed shirt showcasing our forum. If someone would like to make that for me, I would really appreciate it. I'll pay for it so I'm not asking you to do it for free. Please make the shirt black, I'll leave the rest up to you. Thanks.

What about a dark grey? Goes with more things.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

sebnan12 wrote:i really start to be utterly annoyed from everyone that is posting against esoc and hasnt contributed anything yet. its so ashaming for me to see people only wanna take and give nothing in exchange. all members of esoc are working for free. u people behave like they are working for u! it makes me literally red headed mad. i once again wanna say in contrast to these people, that i appreciate all the work done for us to the fulliest. and in addition i encourage u all to do the same to say the least.

I don't see what's wrong with someone giving their opinion, as long as it's constructive and respectful
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

deleted_user wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:Since this went a bit offtopic, I just want to say that I would totally wear a well designed shirt showcasing our forum. If someone would like to make that for me, I would really appreciate it. I'll pay for it so I'm not asking you to do it for free. Please make the shirt black, I'll leave the rest up to you. Thanks.

What about a dark grey? Goes with more things.
I would also wear grey, preferably dark grey.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

sebnan12 wrote:i really start to be utterly annoyed from everyone that is posting against esoc and hasnt contributed anything yet. its so ashaming for me to see people only wanna take and give nothing in exchange. all members of esoc are working for free. u people behave like they are working for u! it makes me literally red headed mad. i once again wanna say in contrast to these people, that i appreciate all the work done for us to the fulliest. and in addition i encourage u all to do the same to say the least.
Well said!
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

momuuu wrote:Bram left, H2O and Mitoe still seem relatively inactive, I haven't seen or heard of n0el in ages, Jim supposedly is doing an internship right now, I haven't really seen Interjection around much or curassierandcurassier. So the media team is a busy Jim and Chrisie who, in my experience, has never been extremely active with coordinating things. The last tournament was the greatest failure since the summer tournament of 2015 imo. Streams are getting some of the lowest viewer counts I can remember, the extensions of tournament rounds are so frequent, the newsposts are scarce, the top notch high level native speaking casters are absent.. All things considered I can get behind taking a difference approach to tournaments and ignoring the super big dragging tournaments a little bit.

Very realistic and to the point. The big tournaments had started lost their appeal, even to someone like me that has been a long time fan of the content put out by eso-c. A different approach should definitely be tried, at least for a period of time in order to gauge the results. Can't hurt to try something new, you live and grow
De Funk
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

There's certainly no reason someone couldn't make a shirt with the "ESOCommunity" text but with the "III" removed I suppose
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Yeah, I can totally relate to that, if I could I'd be spending days contributing to ESOC as much as I would be able to, despite my limited tech skills and stuff, but it's just real life that takes over. As much as I love getting things done and not leaving a mess behind me, oftentimes other duties take the priority and you have to put away something that in the end is just an old, flawed game. That's why I quit. Huge credit to those who have stayed and are still prominent contributors, now I'm taking a short break from studying that much I guess and I'll be more than happy to participate in the upcoming weekend mono-civ tournament. I appreciate the effort and the idea itself, as I've been willing to see and take part in such an initiative for quite some time now. :flowers:
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Thanks to @Snuden, prize pool is increased to $200. New payouts are $150 to 1st place and $50 to 2nd place. Get ready to place your bets, lads

To all who've signed up, please message @princeofcarthage or myself with your civilization pick before Saturday, April 21st at 15:00 GMT. You can change your pick at any time before this deadline. If you have not locked in a civilization by the time brackets are to be posted, your civilization will be picked for you!

[spoiler=tags]@EAGLEMUT
@Aykin Haraka
@blackwidow
@GiBthedurrty
@n0el
@dicktator_
@QueenOfdestiny
@DaRkNiTe1698
@SoldieR
@Guigs
@Warno
@gryphoon94
@deleted_user2
@jesus3
@Garja
@tabben
@Forjustice
@sebnan12
@Kynesie
@Hazza54321
@_attaque_77_carp
@pecelot
@yurashic
@Mitoe
@musketeer925
@theonlybaus
@Hawk_Girl[/spoiler]
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Thanks, @Snuden

Shame you can't play in the 2v2 tour
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Wow snuden. Couldn't you have donated money to me directly instead. Just became quite tempting to play
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

lordraphael gonna be rich with all these tournaments, might become his job actually xd
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Well, raphael is a great player for sure but losing bo1 or bo3 vs worse player is not impossible. it's not like he wins automatically
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

It's not like he is the only top 8 player here.
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

it's not like he's ro8 as tedere
Retired Contributor

Cometk wrote:Thanks to @Snuden, prize pool is increased to $200. New payouts are $150 to 1st place and $50 to 2nd place. Get ready to place your bets, lads

To all who've signed up, please message @princeofcarthage or myself with your civilization pick before Saturday, April 21st at 15:00 GMT. You can change your pick at any time before this deadline. If you have not locked in a civilization by the time brackets are to be posted you will be subject to removal from the seeding.

I wanna suggest a blind pick by admins rather than removal.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

If lukas doesn’t sign up id rek you @lordraphael
Retired Contributor

Hazza54321 wrote:If lukas doesn’t sign up id rek you @lordraphael

@Lukas_L99
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Cometk wrote:Thanks to @Snuden, prize pool is increased to $200. New payouts are $150 to 1st place and $50 to 2nd place. Get ready to place your bets, lads

To all who've signed up, please message @princeofcarthage or myself with your civilization pick before Saturday, April 21st at 15:00 GMT. You can change your pick at any time before this deadline. If you have not locked in a civilization by the time brackets are to be posted you will be subject to removal from the seeding.

I wanna suggest a blind pick by admins rather than removal.

Much better idea. Edited the original post