How Kaiserklein's Stellar Germany Helped him Cruise to Victory

United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

How Kaiserklein's Stellar Germany Helped him Cruise to Victory

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

(The ESOC Grand Tour Finals will be played Sunday, July 1st at 18:30GMT between Kaiserklein and Knuschelbär)

There may be no one in the game better at playing Germany than Kaiserklein. And in game 1 of the Weekend Tours semi-finals, he showed us all why.

Openings
His opponent, LordRaphael, was never going to be an easy task. He's a Grand Tournament champion and the current ELO leader by a pretty considerable margin. Game 1 was a German mirror, with LordRaphael nestled in the north and Kaiserklein in the south. They spent some time building idyllic Bavarian villages in the beautiful Garja-designed Great Basin map, both opting for an Uhlan start. Their macro was pretty much identical. They plopped down a TP, protected their houses by placing them behind their TC's, sent Settler Wagons and started making Uhlans and Doppels as soon as they could. The only real difference came in LordRaphael eeking out a slight early advantage through treasures.

Perhaps LordRaphael had planned from the get-go to play aggressively, or perhaps he felt emboldened from winning Age 1, but he soon decides to strike at Kaiser's TP, and it will be there where Kaiser unleashes his trap.

Between a Trading Post and an Uhlan's face
Kaiserklein had the numerical advantage, and his Doppelsoldners were in his base while LordRaphaels were still making their way across the map. He had only Uhlans with him sieging Kaiser's TP. To the right lay Kaiser's base, to the left a tangle of trees. Kaiser wheeled his cavalry in from above while sneaking in Doppelsoldners from below.

LordRaphael had nowhere to run.

The perfectly timed pincer move was a catastrophic blow to LordRaphael, and Kaiserklein showed off his micro skill, perfectly balancing the attack and avoiding overkills and making sure to snare the fleeing red cavalry. Remember the trees? Well when LordRaphael tried to escape, he got slowed down in the forests, and Kaiserklein made full use of the terrain to catch up to those Uhlans lucky enough to escape the initial trap. In the end, Kaiserklein lost 3 Uhlans in the engagement, and killed LordRaphael's entire army, save for 3 Uhlans.

Kaiserklein's trap thus completed, he moved north, perhaps expecting to get a GG as soon as he entered LordRaphael's town, but he wasn't ready to give in just yet.

Your Mine is Mine
I love watching German mirrors. I love watching German mirrors because Germany eats through resources like no one else. Games often devolve into scrambles for increasingly sparse mines, patches of woods, and isolated hunts. Ten minutes into this game, both players had to move off their first, protected mine and onto more vulnerable ones. LordRaphael's second mine was to the south, right beside the entrance to his town. And this is where Kaiserklein went for game.

The first sign of trouble was a mismicro where 5 of Kaiser's Uhlans wandered into a line of Red Doppelsoldners and, in one co-ordinated swing, like some sort of synchronized, lethal Renaissance dance, the Uhlans all fell, and +15s littered the screen. A regretful error, to be sure, but not a catastrophe. Kaiser pushed onwards, looking to seize the mine and end the game right there. LordRaphael met him with everything he had. Newly trained Dopps, militia, villagers, even settler wagons joined the melee. And in the end, Kaiser's army was cleaned up and pushed out of LordRaphael's base.

What followed was a series of raids and counter raids as both players tried to stabilize. Kaiser had run out of food, Raphael needed to secure another mine. Kaiser decides it's time to age up.

LordRaphael decides its time to counter attack.

Get on the Wagon
A ragtag Colonial German army is not the scariest thing in AOE3. But, if you've just invested 2200 resources in aging up and are also fielding a ragtag Colonial German army that happens to be much smaller, then it can still provide a bit of a spook. Raphael attacks at the site of Kaiser's grand trap, the Trading Post. Here Kaiser's villagers had moved on to his secondary hunt location, and Kaiser is forced to abandon it. He pulls everything he has back to the center. For the moment, he can't take the fight. LordRaphael pushes on, knowing now that Kaiser has aged up that he needs to make something happen now, before the first shipment comes in.

He's too late.

3 War Wagons arrive just in time for Kaiser. LordRaphael, already committed to the fight, has no choice but to take them on, and his Uhlans are goners. Kaiser brilliantly kites Raphael's Doppelsoldners, who tried in desperation to bum rush the 3 War Wagons, and he's able to kite them all down, not losing a single one of his wagons. Skirmishers arrive, more Uhlans are poured in to the mix, and there was nothing left for Raphael to do but resign.

Think you know who's going to win the grand finals? Vote here:http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=313827#p313827

And while we're on the subject of German mirrors leading to players running out of resources, check out this 50 minute slugfest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefiHmL5M6I
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Re: How Kaiserklein's Stellar Germany Helped him Cruise to Victory

Post by vardar »

SLuGfEst
c0ns!
Canada DivideNConquer
Crossbow
ESO: DivideNConquer

Post by DivideNConquer »

This is going to be great. Knush port fort/CM play ftw!
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

Not to diminish how good Kaisers germany clearly is, but this was just entirely a throw from Rapha and neither of them were playing well that game. As soon as Rapha over committed on that tp many people in chat were pointing out how danerous it was, it was kind of an obvious mistake.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

matty1248 wrote:Not to diminish how good Kaisers germany clearly is, but this was just entirely a throw from Rapha and neither of them were playing well that game. As soon as Rapha over committed on that tp many people in chat were pointing out how danerous it was, it was kind of an obvious mistake.

Yep was clearly pretty laggy so not the most competitive of series either.
oranges.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

matty1248 wrote:Not to diminish how good Kaisers germany clearly is, but this was just entirely a throw from Rapha and neither of them were playing well that game. As soon as Rapha over committed on that tp many people in chat were pointing out how danerous it was, it was kind of an obvious mistake.

Yeah sure the twitch chat is a reliable source.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Aizamk wrote:

Yep was clearly pretty laggy so not the most competitive of series either.

Game 1 was ok, game 2 worse but playable. Next 2 games were a lagfest. One reason why they decided to talk about game 1 was because the lag was still ok.

So yeah, game 1 was competitive I think. But it's still true that we both didn't play very well. He overcommitted first, then I kind of overcommitted when pushing him (I killed some vils but it was still a shit trade for me). Was not a great display of skill.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Pakistan MaJoOorchEf_GaZa
Musketeer
ESO: majooorchef_gaza

Post by MaJoOorchEf_GaZa »

where is that game everyone is talking about? can anyone give me link?
Do you know what kind of creature waits for its own slaughter?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..